Gratitude.

This morning I was listening to an audio portion from Heidi Swapp's A Year To Remember class at Big Picture Scrapbooking - it was all about gratitude. It totally hit home with me. I needed to hear her message (I am continually amazed at how things flow in just this way).

I have been super grouchy lately. Grumpy & grumbly and generally down. In a funk that has been tough to shake.

Now I know that being grateful is a really effective way to get out of feeling down. I know it. And yet, I have been wallowing in that overall yuckiness. Allowing little things to push me over the edge. Little patience. Sounds like I have been really fun to be around doesn't it? Poor Chris.

This is why I love taking classes, why I love being a student, why I never want to stop being a student: I learn stuff that helps me in my life. So thanks Heidi - thanks for telling me what I needed to hear and reminding me how very important an attitude of gratitude really is in each of our lives.

I am going to get myself out of this funk.

So here I go - here are six things I am grateful for RIGHT NOW:

1. UPS shipping. They come right to my door.
2. My Mom coming for a visit tonight & making a Costco stop for dog food for Lily & detergent for laundry.
3. Pop dots. They are making a project I am working on come together.
4. Gas dusters. I hate having dust and junk inside my keyboard and this can blows it all right out.
5. The ability to get up right now and go take a hot shower and then dress myself in a cozy sweater and jeans.
6. The generosity of people. Over 200 donations (over $6000) directly to Autism Speaks. Thank you.

Anyone else need to get over grumpiness or out of a bad mood? I think I need a bigger list or that hot shower right about now. What are you grateful for this moment?

view more comments
25 of 147
  1. Regan

2007-02-22 23:34:30 -0800

Love this idea. I'm grateful for:
    1. My husband...love him, love him, love him...even after 11 years for way to many reasons to have time to list.
    2. Nice weather (finally) and being able to get out and walk and enjoy it with my kids.
    3. Our place...it's not a lot but it's ours and we're thankful to have it.
    4. My oldest son for teaching me sometimes hard lessons daily about life. I've learned more from him and about myself in the short seven years he's been on this earth than I have my entire 32 years. He's so special.
    5. My youngest son for just being the ray of light you need in a day. For him saying "mommy, I love you" when I really need to hear it, and for giving me some reassurance that I'm not a complete failure as a parent!
    6. Being able to create...it keeps me sane and makes me so happy.
    7. My mom...she's always there when I need her.
    8. For getting to have a dad in my life that made me feel special in a way no one else could (miss you, daddy).
    I'm in tears now but feeling pretty darned good and very blessed.

2. Amber

2007-02-22 23:40:26 -0800

What you said is so on the dot with me right now. I am down, overwhelmed and in a funk. Too many things to do, not enough of me to do it all. So right now I am grateful for:
    1. Hot coffee with creamer
    2. My kids are healthy
    3. Wonderful friends
    4. A warm home
    5. Ali's blog
    Thanks Ali for always inspiring me, even in your funk you inspire me. You are amazing.

3. Michelle Blais

2007-02-22 23:47:05 -0800

Ali - Thanks for such a great post!
    I am gratefule for:
    1. The 3 inches of snow that finally fell in eastern CT last night - so beautiful outside
    2. Hot chocolate for the kids after playing in the eagerly awaited snow
    3. Coffee Friday with my closest girlfriends
    4. Awesome Grey's Anatomy last night
    5. That I am having the best hair day all week!
    Ali - check out The Secret - http://www.thesecret.tv/home.html
    It is very inspiring and a must see for everyone!

4. brandie

2007-02-23 00:19:21 -0800

i have been grumpy and in a funk lately...it's cold here in the northwest! thanks for reminding me to be grateful. i needed to hear that right now.

5. Tammy from Mechanicsville, MD

2007-02-23 00:25:28 -0800

I've been in a funk as well and can relate. After reading what you wrote and the beautiful comments your mother wrote about the time she gets to spend with Simmon, I started to cry. I'm so grateful that we have little children in our lives to bring us so much joy. My four children are my greatest accomplishments in life. I thank God with my whole heart that he has given them to me to love and cherish.
    Thank you for posting about being grateful, it made me stop in my tracks and realize the blessings in life that we sometimes forget because on just being in a FUNK. Thanks again!

6. Leah

2007-02-23 01:04:06 -0800

You are so right, Ali! I am having some homesickness since I am visiting family right now, and I could use a little dose of gratitude.
    -I'm grateful for a little alone-time today. I think it will help me regroup to just wander around without the need to entertain/calm people for a few hours.
    -Sleeping late every once in a while is a beautiful luxury!
    -I am seriously thankful for the internet, which connects me to people around the world who can help me feel better about my homesickness and my knitting mistakes.
    -I am grateful for this family, whom I have traveled across the country to visit for two weeks.
    -I am equally grateful for my family made of friends that take such good care of me when I am at home. I miss them so much right now!

7. jen

2007-02-23 01:25:22 -0800

I know how you feel, I am now in the bottom of the bottoms. I have been looking for a job for 4 months I will get interviews but not the job. Oh I know the reason to fat for this postion, not what we are looking for. I have two little boys and I love them dearly I have scrap ever moment of their lives. They know that something is wrong with me, they both try to tell me to go to scrapbook store to cheer up. I think now I am past that I feel like their is cloud over me (it doesn't help living in Pacific NW). I just hope that one day that a job will come and I will be able to be happy again for my boys sake.

8. Sidney Hartley

2007-02-23 01:28:06 -0800

I am grateful-
    1- the forever blue skies the meet the water each day
    2-green of the earth, and palm trees
    3- the ability to laugh with my two girls
    4- telephones, Internet and email
    5- memories and loved ones
    6- the ability to rise above hardships and plough thru life.
    7- the peace I finally feel after finding a new way to have god in my life.
    Must be something in the air, everyone I know right now has been in a funk. I can't even say it's the weather, I live in Miami.

9. Carole

2007-02-23 02:41:04 -0800

Ali, it must be something in the air. I'm in a terrible funk right now. At work, at home, scrapping wise, lack of help for my son, just frustrated with life.
    I'm grateful for:
    -chocolate
    -my warm duvet
    -my smiling girls
    -waking up this morning
    -my computer

10. Catherine Matthews-Scanlon

2007-02-23 02:53:23 -0800

I have been totally GRUMPY for two weeks - maybe more...and I realized that I didn't have any projects going that I was excited about - nothing to think about...and plan. I also think that creating stuff stimulates my endorphins like exercise does....cause I started a new project last night and I feel so much better today. SO much better.

11. Christa

2007-02-23 02:57:39 -0800

I am out of my crabbyness! Posted a Gratitude listing on my blog.
    Thanks a ton Ali! :)

12. Peaches

2007-02-23 03:02:28 -0800

Go outside. Reconnect with nature. Take a hike, even a cold one. Always works. If you've been traveling a lot and inside, you may be low on your vitamin D. You need 20 minutes of sunlight every day.

13. tina b

2007-02-23 03:23:11 -0800

thanks Ali - while lately things have been good, I find myself at times falling into the funk - I am grateful for
    1- two healthy children
    2- a husband who adores me and is a great dad and friend
    3- coffee!!!
    4 - grounded, real people like you Ali
    5 - that daylight savings time is a month earlier this year
    6- scrapbooking - as it not only allows me to capture memories but has also introduced me to so many amazing women:-)

14. Julie

2007-02-23 04:07:01 -0800

It sounded like me writing today! I've been horribly grumpy this week. My poor dh and children. I need to remember gratitude!
    1. Windex- to see the little bit of sun shining..a little more clearly
    2. Great dr. appt. for my now 3yr old who was a preemie
    3. Caribou bars
    4. Chance to make a card for a friend.
    5. Call from my dad..just to check in on me.
    6. One napping child.
    5. You and my blogs that I check in with daily!

15. Number Twelve

2007-02-23 04:58:18 -0800

In the realm of creativity and inspirational goodness I am so so so grateful for you.
    Even if you don't feel very inspirational, you ARE!!! Even through your funks you are an inspiration.

16. Angela

2007-02-23 05:39:58 -0800

I am grateful for oppurtunities and taking risks. I recently emailed my mother's cousin to ask for advice and support while I'm studying teaching. (she is a school principal.) This was daunting as she is quite well known and I thought it might be intrusive. I am glad I took the risk as she has rewarded me immensely. She has orgainsed mentors and oppurtunities for me while I am studying. How generous she has been with her time, spirit and resources. I am soooooo GRATEFUL.

17. Penny

2007-02-23 06:14:26 -0800

1. My health. It's not perfect, but I'm so happy for what I have.
    2. My husband. He saved me.
    3. My friends and family - they touch me every day, in very way.
    4. Our successes - we've worked hard and made it happen.
    5. My neighbor, Rose. She started a spiritual group and it has been so fulfilling.

18. Dee

2007-02-23 06:33:48 -0800

1. Rain, woke to it this morning (and with a drought going on, any rain is good rain).
    2. My family. So nice to have a weekend to hang with them.
    3. weekends, to sleep in, and have no plans
    4. good books, to absorb the stress, and take me to another land
    5. Good friends...need I say more.
    6. Our beautiful cat, her affection and company is also a stress reliever
    7. And most importantly of all, my God, who comforts and provides for us. Who saves my friends and sets me free. Who Loves me unconditionally.
    I have been feeling a little like you have shared the last 3-4 weeks, with health issues and stress, and more, and I am with you.......being grateful makes a huge difference. I think I might scrap about it today.
    Hope your feeling uplifted in your soul, from all this sharing.
    HUGS
    Dee

19. Carol Anne

2007-02-23 08:35:20 -0800

I'm taking Kolette's class at BPS, and we had to come up with 100 things we were grateful for. Man, that was hard! I think it took me a week, and I was in a bad mood, too. But I have it, and can reference it -- and maybe expand on it.
    Maybe it's an idea you want to try.

20. Shannon

2007-02-25 02:10:53 -0800

Gratitude... that cosmic 2x4 that we always seem to forget at our worst and sometimes our best moments. Muddling through a migraine and feeling pretty dumpy today, I was grateful to read your post whice inspired me to spread the word in my own journal... Memoirs of a Runaway Heart. I hope this is something I can remember to keep up with. Thanks again for the inspiration.

21. lguidry

2007-02-25 03:15:05 -0800

Hey friend! Thanks for this, it created this:
    My list includes pics so it's on my blog :)
    Totally need to do a gratitude list every once in a while, it refreshes the soul :)
    Chin up!

22. Carina

2007-02-27 05:40:53 -0800

I am grateful for grace and forgiveness. I am grateful for the power of the lord. I am grateful for love and understanding. I am grateful for human nature. I am grateful for the ability to provide a roof over my familys head and food on the table. I am grateful for my two healthy babies. I am grateful for the past. I am grateful for my brain. I am grateful for my hands. I am grateful for the life I lived and the life I am living. I am grateful that some ideas are only fleeting. I am grateful for this little box that I am typing in. I am grateful that I read this post today because it may just help push away my own funky feeling.

23. kelly libby

2007-03-03 01:11:57 -0800

I'm not glad to hear that you are grouchy but it's nice to see that it happens to everybody! Connecticut is cold and gray and overall, depressing. Try going to a bookstore with a good tea or coffee and just sit. That helps me...

24. Digitaldomainsonline.com

2008-12-26 17:34:01 -0800

Digitaldomainsonline.com offers Domain Name Registration, Domain Transfer, Domain name renewal, Domain Appraisal, Domain Back Order, GTLD Domains

25. digitaldomainreseller

2009-01-04 16:57:18 -0800

Digitaldomainreseller.com Reseller Domain Name Registration, Reseller Domains, Domain Reseller, Domain Name Reseller, Domain Transfer, Domain name renewal, Domain Appraisal, Domain Back Order, GTLD Domains