Christmas Project #4 : Word Cards

I picked up these cards from Paper Source awhile back when I began collecting things to use for holiday decorating. You could easily make these at home (they are 2 inches x 4 inches) and add them to a tree or wreath. I put small silver eyelets in each one with my crop-a-dile and hung them with small green ornament hooks.

Simon was all over these last night asking, "what's this word?" He took them all down and then put them all back up a couple of times. The one he knows by sight and heart already: joy.

And yes, I put up one of the trees already.  It's crazy, I know, but it sure is fun.

My plan is to have one fake tree in each of the following spaces: our bedroom, Simon's bedroom, and the dining room (that's where this one is). I am slowly but surely putting things out, trekking back and forth to the garage, rediscovering stuff in my bins, thinking + planning.

Simon and I have also been checking out local Goodwill's seeing what cool holiday stuff we can find: ornaments, fake trees, pictures of santas + holiday scenes that I am framing and putting up around the house. I found this old chalkboard there the other day and am thinking of different ways it can be used - right now it is on the porch next to the container of rosehips.

Creating Keepsakes has a new special issue out called 101 Hip, Handmade Gifts by Nicole LaRue. Tons of cool ideas inside. She also had some really great tags featured in the December issue - I am looking to make something along these lines for our gifts (love the simplicity of type + the idea to use elastic rather than ribbon):

And finally, a simple word of thanks today as we celebrate Veteran's Day here in America. Thank you to those who serve, who have served, and to the families who support those who serve.

1. Lanne

2007-11-12 03:09:07 +1100

Ali - Loving the idea of words in an advent calendar.. we are implementing this one!
    Last year the lady at our fav educational toy store was telling me that elves decorate her house... her family put all of their decorations in a basket, and place at the front door with a letter for santa. The elves come and decorate whilst everyone is asleep and take santas letters back with them. This has added a whole new depth of magic to our christmas. (and they elves happily decorate ;)

2. Mama Karen

2007-11-12 04:08:52 +1100

I love that you have your tree up. My favorite part of CHristmas is our family advent dinner. Before everyone gets busy, we decorate the whole house ( yes, multiple trees) and have a candlelight dinner on the first Sunday of Advent. We celebrate the true spirit of the seaon and our family, and it is so not materialistic, just loving.

3. Anita Eakins

2007-11-12 04:10:36 +1100

Thank you for the appreciation you expressed for our military on this Veteran's Day. As the mother of a soldier, a sailor and a Marine, this is much appreciated.

4. M. McKenzie

2007-11-12 04:35:26 +1100

Ali--your holiday spirit is infectious! Each time I check in to see what you've created, I get a little more excited for the holidays myself! I have always been a person who wished the Christmas season could last longer--I LOVE (!) the way you're stretching it out by having it come just a bit early!!

5. Kirsty Colquhoun

2007-11-12 11:25:18 +1100

Just wanted to thank you for giving so much to us on your blog, it is so inspiring both in life and in craft. Please know how grateful and inspired I am .. its never too early to be excited by the holiday season!

6. Amy

2007-11-12 12:22:20 +1100

My daughter's middle name is Joy...love that word too! J-O-and Y are always the letters I look for in piles of alphabet fun!
    At Goodwill, look for the misc. bags of "junk" in the Christmas area. Last week I got tons of vintage ornaments in a bag and they "tossed in" about 5 Hermafix refills! GO FIGURE!!! In their orginal boxes. Original Hermafix before EK came along and screwed it up!!!!!! LOL....

7. anne - paris, fr

2007-11-12 13:46:17 +1100

Merry Christmas, Ali! the simplicity of your Christmas decorations never ceased to amaze me. Thanks for sharing!

8. Robin

2007-11-12 14:49:21 +1100

Ali! Seriously, would you stop!? You are putting a girl to shame!
    Beautiful stuff, gorgeous ideas..
    as always!

9. Marsha Walters

2007-11-12 15:20:42 +1100

The words are just right. What font and size did you use on the 2x4 cards?

10. Christine Villacarlos

2007-11-12 16:42:59 +1100

what a fun, novel idea! thanks for the inspiration, Ali!

11. suetreiber

2007-11-12 18:40:41 +1100

as much as you inspire me, and as much as I love all the holiday cheer you are spreading, I refuse to start decorating yet! :)
    Love the rosehips and wreaths. They are yummy.

12. Julie B

2007-11-12 18:51:47 +1100

Let me tell you...I was NOT at all in the holiday mood. But looking at your posts the last few days has changed that! I have all kinds of ideas and can't wait to get out my Christmas stuff!! I may even turn on some Christmas music this evening!
    I read your blog just about every day and you never cease to inspire me! Thanks!!!
    Julie

13. Bev

2007-11-12 19:31:33 +1100

I am jealous of your basket of rose hips! I just saw a pic of a wreath of just grapvines and rose hips and it looked so lovely and festive!!
    As the mom of a Marine who just recently informed me he is now a Veteran of a Foreign War..(try that one on when your son is only 22!!) thank you for remembering all of us! Even though it may our boys (or girls) who serve, a mom's heart follows them all the way to war and back.

14. Lee

2007-11-12 20:27:04 +1100

Love your "new" chalkboard! My mom has one that hangs in the little hall between the living room and office, with a bucket of chalk nearby for drawing. Before Halloween, we all took turns drawing little bits and pieces (bat, pumpkin, etc.)...a long-term, family-style art project, if you will, with no official end or plan. Now that Halloween is passed, those drawings were erased, and we've started drawing Thanksgiving and Christmas bits. It's a fun way to be creative as a joint effort. =)

15. jodii geddes

2007-11-12 20:48:55 +1100

i have my tree up too Ali and it is fun i love xmas so the longer i get to appreciate my tree the better. love the idea of the word cards

16. Amy Hummel

2007-11-12 23:45:21 +1100

I have a tree up too... so don't feel too bad!

17. Kelly

2007-11-13 00:14:57 +1100

Hi Ali,
    Love the word cards and the Advent calendar. I was in Pottery Barn last week and in their office section they had a box of clothespins that read "to do", "file", etc. so I came home and lifted the idea for Christmas. I used stamps and rub-ons to do Christmas words. I did most of them vertically, but Pottery Barn's were horizontal. They look really cute, took just minutes and could be used as card hangers, ornaments or put with some twine and used to hang up kids Christmas art work. Also fun for our kids on the spectrum to work on fine motor. Thanks for all of the inspiration!

18. Danielle

2007-11-13 01:36:20 +1100

I love that you are so ready for Christmas! I am enjoying all of your fun ideas! The words are such a beautiful idea! Thanks for the tips!!

19. Ann

2007-11-13 03:21:32 +1100

Isn't Goodwill cool to browse through?
    I love your simplistic style, Ali. It reminds me of one of my favorite designers on Etsy...Elle. If you haven't seen her stuff you're missing out!
    And it's totally not too early for Christmas trees!

20. womans health

2007-11-13 08:33:09 +1100

Its snowing outside as I am writing this message and we already have some of our decorations up. Wish you could all be here to see the wonder of the snow on the trees:-))

21. Beth

2007-11-13 20:58:49 +1100

Hi Ali! I'm loving all of your Christmas projects. Thanks so much for sharing. I found a fun project to do...and my kids loved it too. I posted about it on my blog. Check it out, these ornaments were easy and quick and I used ribbon from my stash.
    Have a great day!

22. Christina

2007-11-13 22:45:27 +1100

Those trees are so very cute! And I love the simplicity of just buttons and pins. The advent calendar will also be on my to do list for the holidays. Thanks for the ideas and great photos.

23. The Writer Mama

2007-11-14 23:26:45 +1100

Oh my gosh, you are going all out, girl!
    We're doing the opposite, since we are traveling this year for Xmas and T-day.
    Just think how NEW all the decorations will seem next year!

24. The Stampin' Soldier

2007-11-16 22:42:17 +1100

Thank you.

25. Carolyn

2007-12-03 03:36:42 +1100

Love the christmas trees in project # 5! Just a thought for your chalkboard - My mom picked up a chalk board at Value Village (a type of thrift store here in Canada) and it has a snowman attached with a blank and the worlds days until Christmas where my niece can fill it in to count the days (or sleeps in her case) until Christmas, it hangs in our kitchen and she loves it!