December Daily : Day Ten

Tonight we are celebrating Simon's first time attending soccer practice. They have this really cool program locally called Tops Soccer that pairs kids with physical/cognitive special needs (K - high school) with a bunch of super-soccer kids who teach them the basics.

Simon's two buddies did pretty darn good working with him for a first-time experience. They played chase, passed the ball, chased some more (which turned it into tag), and did some other drills (and then a little more chase to top it off). You can only imagine how cool it was to see all the kids working together, helping each other out, and cheering each other on.

And of course, it was not an event without a bit of parental intervention. The first time for anything is a lot to take in all at once for any kid. I know he loved the freedom to just run and run and run but some other behaviors cropped up as he was figuring out what was ok and not ok. There was some "picking-up-the-ball-and-throwing-it-at-other-kids (directly at other kids)" on the field so I ran a bit of interference:

and then he decided it was fun to run away from his new buddies and go behind the goals (again + again).

So next it was Chris' turn:

We love taking turns.

The practice was an hour and he was definitely getting tired by the end.

Overall, cool experience. Great physical outlet and safe place. Pretty sure he will want to go back again next week.

1. Jenny A.

2007-12-11 17:35:21 +1100

Pretty darn cool program Ali! Love the parent intervention pictures. You could see Simon smiling in one of them :-) Very sweet.

2. Roni

2007-12-11 17:47:39 +1100

How wonderful is that!! With only hearing horrible teenager stories, this was so refreshing and a reminder that there is so much good in the world and so much to be thankful for. Soccer is such a wonderful sport and for Simon to be able to participate leaves me with a smile on my face. Parents who have children without disabilites may not know the sense of pride you have just watching your child play a group sport. It is so wonderful to have Simon exposed to this regardless of how many times you run interference. You and Chris are awesome parents. Simon is as lucky to have you two as you both are to have him.
    Happy Day #10!

3. Mary Rogers

2007-12-11 17:50:41 +1100

so awesome for Simon (I just found myself saying "run simon run", lol - and I love that you and Chris take turns....you know I know that is so important...
    loving the journal Ali! thanks for sharing it with us!!!

4. Meg

2007-12-11 18:14:53 +1100

Oh. My. Goodness. Reminder to self: sign George up next year! What an amazing program! I love that you and Chris both were there to cheer (and guide) him on!

5. Maria

2007-12-11 18:18:15 +1100

While at first intrigued by your creative skills, I am now so inspired and uplifted with you as a person/wife/mom - Merry Christmas to you and your family, Ali! Enjoy every single minute :)

6. Judy B

2007-12-11 19:14:22 +1100

I want to read your blog to read about Simon, as much as I want to read about your creative endeavors. The love that you and Chris show him, and give to him in your parenting makes me feel warm and teary. God has truly given you two a purpose in life, and you have accepted the challenge wholeheartedly. Your outlook on life, too, has given me the courage to be free in my scrapbooking for the first time in my life, and that's saying a lot for an older retired person. Thank you. May God keep the blessings coming to you three. Merry Christmas!

7. Vanessa

2007-12-11 19:18:15 +1100

Looks like Simon had a "ball" out on the soccer field. That Tops Soccer program sounds fantastic. So cool. :-)
    Love, love the album!!! You are amazing!

8. Vanessa

2007-12-11 19:19:41 +1100

Love, love the album!!! You are amazing!

9. Brittany

2007-12-11 19:44:23 +1100

I've been reading your blog for a long time, but I don't think I've ever told you how much you inspire me (both in and out of the scrapbook world). NO ONE's scrapbooking gets me more excited about life and art like yours. And I love seeing how you and Chris parent Simon (working together... it is so beautiful). I am young and don't have children yet, but it is something I look forward to veeeerrrrryyy much. Basically, you are teaching me Ali,in SO MANY ways that are priceless. Since my mom died, there aren't too many people I can look to for this kind of stuff. So, from the bottom of my heart...Thank you! (sorry this is so long)

10. Carole Hepburn

2007-12-11 19:59:12 +1100

GO Simon Go !!! Soccer ROCKS !!!

11. Traci

2007-12-11 20:22:56 +1100

i would love to have something like this close to us!! I played soccer for years and our daughter has played 3 seasons so far. in the winter kids need something like that to keep them moving!

12. Jennie

2007-12-11 20:28:57 +1100

How fun! I can't wait until Ryan is old enough to start playing some "organized" sports! It's going to be so much fun!
    Okay, those are the cutest little black shoes ever, Ali! Are they Mary Janes? Where oh were did you find them? I think I NEED my husband to get them for me for Christmas this year! :-)

13. suetreiber

2007-12-11 22:22:00 +1100

very cool program! And FYI, my kids wanted to pick up the ball all the time too :)
    loving the album.

14. Aseel Ohlmeyer

2007-12-11 23:09:28 +1100

Hi Ali
    Thank you for sharing your life experiences and creativity and inspiring me to start scrapping. :) I love all of your books and your genuine, sincere style.
    I notice that you sometimes use blank / lined paper for your journaling on your layouts. What kind of paper do you use? (i.e. is it regular stationary - that one could spray with archival mist for example, or is it scrapping paper – in which case, where can I find it?). Cutting up plain white cardstock could work but it is kind of thick to use as a journaling block. Appreciate any tips, thanks!
    Wishing you and your family peace and happiness this holiday season.
    Aseel xx

15. Holly T

2007-12-11 23:46:59 +1100

Great job mom and dad...LOVE the parenting pics...very cool.
    Wonderful experience for him! Good job.

16. Sara

2007-12-12 00:13:01 +1100

You guys are doing so many fun things together. Looks like soccer was a hit!

17. tammy t

2007-12-12 01:16:05 +1100

So incredibly cool. I love kids working with other kids, and they all get something so awesome out of it!
    And of course we all need the parent tag team!
    t

18. Dawn

2007-12-12 03:38:40 +1100

Looks like Simon had a great time! That is a really cool program. Your album is beautiful!!! :-)

19. Lisa M

2007-12-12 05:01:07 +1100

My son who is 21 already played soccer in his Private Christian School. There were only a few kids in the entire school so they all played together even the teacher. I think they all learned ALOT by playing soccer together...such team work! Today my son still plays soccer every chance he gets and I think he's pretty good at it too! :)
    Good luck to Simon, I hope it's a good experience for him.

20. Jillian Koch

2007-12-12 05:10:12 +1100

Hi Ali,
    It's my first time on your blog, and I'm so amazed! I'm signing up for my first ever CKU in Chicago tomorrow and hope to get into your album track. (REALLY HOPE!!!) I'm a pediatric PT in Washington DC and love you even more now that I know about Simon. The autism program at OHSU has a great reputation. Hope to meet you in March!
    Jillian

21. carla par

2007-12-12 05:34:48 +1100

That is so cool for Simon to learn soccer from other kids.

22. kelly

2007-12-12 05:49:38 +1100

that is awesome!
    i loved playing soccer when i was really little.

23. ELLIE

2007-12-12 08:30:10 +1100

what an excellent program....so glad that Simon enjoyed it....
    Thanks for sharing it all
    Peace--Ellie

24. Stephanie D.

2007-12-12 10:02:05 +1100

I know this may sound weird, but soccer can be very therapeutic. There's something about be outside and running until you're out of breath.
    My son was very, very active and strong willed as a child. Soccer and bike riding were two activities that he could really burn off all that extra energy and frustrations.

25. Penny

2007-12-15 19:03:26 +1100

Awesome experience for the little guy. So sweet. Thanks for sharing.