Projects.

Look

I am thinking about projects today.

Looking for my list (or, ahem, lists) that I have been keeping which details my thoughts on what I want to do next: projects, art, organization, and long term stuff. Anyone else like me and have way too many places you stash lists? Just a few minutes ago I counted six blank notebooks that have about 10 pages full of different stuff in each one. Seriously, one would be good.

I'll just put that on my to-do list to tackle today.

Finishing up my CK column for August. Picking up the piles of stuff that have accumulated during the past three weeks. Working on another issue of the newsletter (it has been way too long). Keeping the laundry going. Getting the rest of those layouts in albums. Writing a FAQ for this blog. Thinking about drawing and working with fabric and painting. Considering a garage sale.

I have pretty much fallen off the wagon on the 365 project. Considering doing some smaller 30 day photo projects like Amanda did a few months back. I like the idea of focusing on something specific and making a project out of that idea: like choosing a color, or macro shots, or found typography, or Simon's current antics. Andrea is great at that sort of thing as well.

What's your current project? Or what's at the top of the list for your next one?

1. scrapfairy

2008-04-17 08:07:33 +0200

I have my list in my head so of course I always forget things. Right now I have no specific things to do, except housework, I just keep doing projets for the LSS I work at.

2. Debbie

2008-04-17 08:11:04 +0200

I keep lists...one at work in a notebook, one in the car (but that one gets done the day I do errands) and one by my craft area of pages I am going to do. I lost my list in the craft area and when I did a new one, I saw my perspective change on what I wanted to accomplish. THAT alone made me feel like I had done something!

3. EmmaJ

2008-04-17 08:32:14 +0200

I am a list maker too. I try to keep them all in my Franklin Planner, but even that has post-its sticking out all over the place of lists I have made. If you do have a garage sale will you post it on the blog? I am going to be in OR (from FL) visiting my family at the beginning of May and would totally try to come buy some of your wares!

4. EmmaJ

2008-04-17 08:33:33 +0200

Oh, and as for projects... I am working on sewing some cute little smock dresses for my 9 month old daughter... I am not much of a sewer, but they look easy enough.

5. jenn shurkus

2008-04-17 08:33:52 +0200

i have a bunch of lil notebooks all over too... with a few notes in them and then i move on to another.... must be a creative process ;)

6. Jill

2008-04-17 09:13:44 +0200

Currently, I am trying to organize some layouts to submit them to Canadian Scrapbooker; then going to send away my Cover Layout submission to the same magazine. Want to also start some new, fresh layouts to submit to Scrapbooker of the Year. Wish me luck with my LIST!!!
    - Jill (from Canada, eh.)

7. jennyy

2008-04-17 09:19:02 +0200

Hi,
    I love etsy, do you? Lots of inspiration. I just came across this shop:
    No affiliation! Just love the possibilities.

8. christina

2008-04-17 09:20:56 +0200

My current projects are playing around with a new style of scrapping. Since I am still a fairly new scrapper I am still learning a lot. I used to make my layouts on patterned paper, since I love the designs. However, I realized I was covering up way too much of the designs that I wanted to show. So I've been color blocking on neutral cardstock with my beloved patterned paper, and I really like it! I heard about how you want to scrapbook with only 5 colors so I thought about what my 5 colors would be too. My 5 colors are Pale yellow, beige, black, white, and off white. Possibly kraft too, which would actually be a 6th color, although I don't have any and I've never used any so I'll have to experiment first and see what I think!

9. christina

2008-04-17 09:23:21 +0200

darn it! I meant 5 colors of cardstock. sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet this morning!

10. Juel

2008-04-17 09:33:16 +0200

top of my list is to finish a wedding album that should have been done almost 3 wks ago and work on a little baby book for my niece who is going to have a baby.
    I have a lot of notebooks too!!

11. Emily Hoadley

2008-04-17 09:36:28 +0200

I'm so glad I'm not the only with excess notebooks, I make and alter all of these cute books that are all over the house and cars but when I really need to write something down, I can't find it. I really want about a week to finish some projects, try sewing some more. But reality interferes with that. My hubby is getting ready for a hip replacement in a week, so that coupled with my two, two year olds there isn't much time for fun. soon. i hope

12. Joy

2008-04-17 09:52:34 +0200

I am so a list maker- and if it makes you feel better, I have 3 active notebooks going right now.
    I actually have finished a huge to-do list that has been haunting me for months (since about three months before David was born, and he's now almost six months) and WOW! Talk about freedom...no more walking around the house and cringing at all of the un-done stuff laying around. I'm amazed at how much better I feel on a emotional level. I hope to keep ahead of my to do list instead of behind it now. Particularly because I am one of those mommas who really struggles with creating when the rest of my house/life is not in order- I've been an art making fool the last two days, and it feels just wonderful.

13. marlee

2008-04-17 10:25:20 +0200

Well, I bought Stacy Julian's book -- and haven't done a thing with it! I really, really want to get my photos organized. My oldest turned 10 yesterday and my youngest turned two today... Time flies. I also just got a new macbook (yeah!) and I need to play with iphoto and imovie...

14. Stephanie S.

2008-04-17 10:43:05 +0200

I know what you mean about having too many notebooks! I am the same way. But I now have the Circo notebook from Levenger and I love it because you can move the pages around so easy and you can put in tabs for the different sections. You should try it - it's the best. And my latest project was a mini book for my dad's birthday that was inspired by the mini book you made using the April KOTM stuff. And now I'm making cards for a swap and a journal for my niece. Happy creating!

15. Elise

2008-04-17 10:45:11 +0200

I, too, am a maker of lists... and lists... :) I've found just the small, chubby lined notebooks that have cardstock dividers built in really help. Often I embellish the cover to make it more "me" which encourages me to not misplace it. Dividers are labeled by areas of my life: house, family, work, personal, creative. Suits me!
    Things I'm working on: finishing a Rusty Pickle mini album from a class I took at CKC St. Louis; organizing for a big garage sale on 26th; packing things away for our move to the new house this summer; working on a color/style journal to help decorate the new house. Your post months ago about the notebook that you wrote the items you hoped to purchase to limit over-purchasing is my inspiration. Just the new house will be costly, so by creating my journal I hope to decorate the new house in layers as it's feasible to afford new things.
    Thanks, Ali, for your constant inspiration!

16. Anna Aspnes

2008-04-17 11:00:09 +0200

So have you given up on the 365 day project? I always figure one photo is better than none at all. Would love to see you finish this even if it is the in the non-conventional way.

17. Deb

2008-04-17 11:54:35 +0200

It is comforting to know I am not the only one with multiple lists and multiple notebooks. I certainly welcome any advice from anyone who has mastered the art and skill of effective organization! I love your work; you are so inspirational!

18. Christina Katz

2008-04-17 14:49:50 +0200

Hi Ali,
    I just read your newsletter and I am always amazed how you say exactly what's on my mind. I'm also thinking about clearing out, prioritizing and being more deliberate in moving ahead.
    Thanks for all you share!

19. Kellee

2008-04-17 16:45:59 +0200

Oh my...THANK YOU for admitting that you fell off the wagon of the 365 day project. I started the photo a day and then immediately scrapbooking it in January and did GREAT till March. Loved the process; loved not agonizing over layouts; just DO IT. Then? I got busy...and then the guilt of being behind and failing the project. Last night I told myself that I can go back to those "lost" days, but I'm starting up again...RIGHT NOW. After I laid out the photos in a NEW daily book (made with the awesome Zutter), I felt peace and satisfied...it is about the process, right?
    Thank you for being you, Ali!

20. Joscelyne (Joscie) Cutchens

2008-04-17 17:14:22 +0200

That is cool, I think I'll have to try that alcohol ink drops... :)

21. Lisa

2008-04-17 19:10:31 +0200

I'm doing the 365 day project. I have missed 2 days and that's kinda a bummer to me, however, I'm not quitting just because of it. Normally I start things and get sidetracked. I really want to keep this project going. It's doing me alot of good!!
    I'm also working hard on some display boards and albums for my niece's high school graduation.

22. noell

2008-04-17 21:44:49 +0200

Ali, I remember what that application is called for organizing and keeping track of your projects (I mentioned it in an earlier comment but couldn't remember the name).
    It's called "Things." It's for Mac's and it's still in beta testing right now. Anyone can beta-test it.
    Here is the link if you want to check it out:

23. Sylvia

2008-04-18 07:59:28 +0200

I can't believe it myself but I've actually stuck to the 365project a photo a day up to now. really proud of myself :) an ongoing project this spring is cleaning up, getting rid of stuff that is burdening me, making room to breathe. I've cleared out my wardrobes and given away/sold some of my clothes. I attempt to have at least some clean space in every room, so that the room can breathe. and a project I finished is a big decorated canvas this morning.

24. sandy w.

2008-04-18 18:00:13 +0200

you so need to have a garage sale, wink wink!!!!

25. Brooke

2008-04-18 19:04:04 +0200

3x5 cards - that is my solution to the multiple notebooks problem. I have 3x5 cards in drawers all over the house and in my purse. When I have a creative idea, or the kids say something cute, I write it on one of these. The filebox is in my scrapboom with dividers for quotes, and Stacy Julian's LOM categories: Us, People, Places and Things. I have a Scrap Central binder (from Aby Garvey's simplify101.com) and now and then I go through the cards and add just the basic idea to lists in my binder, leaving the details on the card. When I work on a layout, I pull that card, and toss it when I'm done. Having ONE place to record and look for inspiration works so much better for me, but the cards allow me to make that one place portable. Brooke