Weekend Creative : May CK Love Board Book

Lovebook

I received some requests over the last month for more in-depth instructions on how to put together the Love minibook featured in my column in the May issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine.

Here's the basics:

The Love album is made by BoBunny Press. There are lots of different words available - here are a few of my favorites:

Chipboardwords_2

[ links to individual books here: Happy + Baby + Family ]

Love4_2

The main thing to keep in mind as you begin this project is how your
photos will fit on the letters. I chose my photos based on the size and
shape of the letters. For the "O" I chose a photo where Simon was
oriented to the left and there was some space that could be cut out for
the middle of the "O." I measured the longest part of each letter (will be different for each of the words) and made my photo just a bit larger so I would have some room to cut all the way around (and inside in some cases like the "O"). These books are 6 inches tall.

Love1

I used a craft knife for cutting the excess from the photos. For
this process I actually adhere the photo onto the chipboard letter with
a glue stick, turn it over, and cut from the back side with my knife.

Love5

The formula I followed for this minibook is this: photo + patterned
paper + transparency.

The front side of each piece of chipboard is a
photo. The back side is patterned paper (or could easily be another photo if you wanted to include more photos). In between each page is a transparency that is cut to match following the outside shape of each letter (I did not cut out the inside of any of the transparent pages).

Love2

On top of each transparent page I placed a piece of journaling tape from Collage Press and backed it with 7gypsies gaffer tape (literally on the other side of the transparency).

The next step was adding the Scenic Route letter stickers on top of the journaling tape. I used single words that related to what was happening in the photos.

Love3

As you may notice on the image above my photo was not big enough to cover the entire letter "E." I can't remember whether I made a mistake when I was printing or if I meant to do it that way...either way I ended up continuing the patterned paper from the backside of the "V."

Just a bit of journaling on this one (see the small card above + the journaling tape). If this was a project where you had a lot to say you could use some lined patterned paper for the backs of each of the letters. There are so many different options to add more words or more photos.

My finishing touch was going around the outside of each letter/photo/paper combo with a gold metallic Ranger Acrylic Paint Dabber. You could also use a gold leaf pen to achieve the same look.

It's pretty much just a bunch of words + photos.

Your prompt this weekend is to create something using a photo or photos where you might have originally used patterned paper. Maybe you want to make a layout like this one I shared on Wednesday that pretty much takes over the entire page. This weekend, let your photos do most of the talking.

Dottedline_2

[ Project Supplies: Scenic Route Letter Stickers; Narratives Transparencies (I
looked for ones with words on them that would not completely cover the
photos - the ones I used are an older product + I am checking with
Karen to see where people can get them online. Check your stash at home
or your local store.
); Collage Press Ledger Journaling Tape; 7gypsies Red Life Gaffer Tape; Patterned Paper: K&Company; Gold Acrylic Paint Dabber from Ranger (used this around the edges of each page in the album) ]

1. Nicky Anderson

2008-05-23 17:14:16 -0400

Thanks Ali - this is one that I would like to attempt!! Now it makes a little more sense.
    Have a great weekend.
    Nicky

2. Lisa

2008-05-23 18:39:50 -0400

How esciting to see your detailed instructions on this album upon checking your blog this morning! I've been pouring over it since seeing it in CK and already had bought a word album and selected some photos to try it - now I really am ready to go ahead. Thank you for your daily inspiration.
    Thank you also for your layouts this week. Not only do I look forward to trying these, but it's always inspiring and wonderful to see how you document the details of the joys of your family's life and adventures. Tomorrow, I was supposed to teach my very first scrapbooking class but unlike my upcoming June class, this May class had only 1 sign-up, which had to reschedule. Well, it gives me another month to prepare (and be a little nervous) and 2 more hours to work on my word album!!
    God bless you and your family! Happy Memorial Day!

3. asnipofgoodness

2008-05-24 01:22:47 -0400

I just have to say, I love your work! I love the new layouts everyday. You are just endless in your creativity. thanks for sharing!

4. Michele Attaway

2008-05-24 03:15:30 -0400

Never go anywhere without my Ranger Gold dabber - it is a staple in my artkit. Love that stuff...I have 12 bottles, I am so scared the world could run out someday and then where would I be -LOL?
    Even gifted my Artfest teacher with one - she was so enamored with it!
    Michele

5. Marilyn

2008-05-24 03:24:33 -0400

Ali - thanks so much for these in-depth directions - I love all of these albums, but have been a little intimidated by them. While catching up with your blog today, I noticed your I noticed your enabling shortcut to Paper Valise - what a priceless little website, and of course, I had to purchase a "few" things - it would have been impolite to leave without purchasing all those goodies that caught my eye!! LOL! Thanks again!

6. Yvonne

2008-05-24 04:43:08 -0400

Hi Ali...I love this! This is a great project. I love it I love it I love it. It's so beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

7. Nancy L

2008-05-24 05:36:21 -0400

So loving the emphasis on photos! One question, though, what adhesive did you use?

8. Lisa in WA

2008-05-24 06:16:12 -0400

Just got the SEI version of this LOVE word book yesterday! Thanks to your inspiration, now I have an awesome weekend project to work on for my hubby who is deployed! Thanks, Ali. Have a great weekend...

9. Tonya

2008-05-24 07:49:59 -0400

Wow, these are absolutely fabulous. They've just been added to my 'must make' list. Thank you so much, you are so inspiring.

10. Jenny

2008-05-24 10:21:11 -0400

I just got married last week, and when I saw this book I knew I it would be perfect for some wedding shots!! Thanks for the inspiration!

11. Leonie

2008-05-24 12:49:42 -0400

Ali, thanks for being so open to sharing. What a gift.
    I have a question. I have been inspired by you to make the December book for last year and I really experiemented with different sized pages and used christmas cards and transparencies and it is awesome. Thanks for that. My question. When I pulled it out of the place it was the whole book was bent and looking really sad. I had used just cardstock for the cover and obviously lesson learned that is not a success. The book is quite thick and I held it together with rings. How can i fix it?? It is 8 x 8. What do you use for covers on your hand make books?? Leonie

12. Jennifer Stewart

2008-05-24 15:51:54 -0400

Absolutely gorgeous, Ali. Love the large photos on the pages. :)
    Jennifer

13. Rosa

2008-05-24 17:44:24 -0400

That's great thanks for sharing I actually ordered a chipboard album with my son's name which is not usual (Nolan) from:
    is going to be much easier to figure how to do it now, thanks, have a great weekend, hugs, Rosa.

14. Rosa

2008-05-24 17:44:29 -0400

15. Molly

2008-05-25 04:03:47 -0400

I'm back for more staring at this book! I'm definately CK deprived over here and I'm just letting all of this good stuff just wash over me, again. Thanks, Ali.

16. Tiffani

2008-05-25 04:55:02 -0400

Quite a while back you mentioned some sites with printable calendars. Do you remember what they were?
    Love your work!

17. chantille

2008-05-25 06:41:19 -0400

Ali, your album is simply beautiful, so effective.

18. Lisa D

2008-05-25 17:12:55 -0400

Hey Ali,
    Great job. I am doing the "team" album for dd's soccer team, but I can't find the kind of rings that you used to bind yours. Where did you get them??
    Thanks! Love seeing all of your work!!

19. traci

2008-05-26 16:21:07 -0400

i was wondering what type of paper you print your photos on.
    i recently purchase a new printer by HP that prints beautiful photos but i prefer matte finish paper. i found some matte paper but it seems to be more like cardstock. do u know of any place that carries a heavier weight/matte paper? thanks!!!

20. Sarah

2008-05-27 01:08:25 -0400

LOVE this idea!

21. Alida

2008-05-27 09:31:14 -0400

I LOVE this. Love the use of photo's iso paer. And really enjoyed your layout a day. Hope you'll do it again soon.

22. Sheree Cleveland

2008-05-27 13:21:52 -0400

LOVE those books.

23. Karen

2008-06-01 01:49:39 -0400

oooo stunning! I've done the Family book, but in the traditional way, with patterned paper. I love this!

24. Monica

2008-06-23 08:23:12 -0400

It's been a bit since you posted the details behind this album and wanted to let you know it is still bringing joy. Thanks to you I completed my "HAPPY" album on Saturday. The best part of it was that my son told me "It was a nice book" To see the joy on his face was exactly what I needed at the moment. I've posted pictures on my blog if you would like to see how you inspire. http://withoutfilters.blogspot.com
    Thanks,
    Monica

25. JeanEllen

2009-02-02 00:13:18 -0500

Thank you for the great inspiration! I had some cute pictures from our snow/ice storm last week that I wanted to do something with, so I ran out and made a little snow art to act as filler, took pictures, and put together the LOVE book for my husband (with a trip to Michael's, of course). He loved it, and I do, too. Pics on our blog, if you'd like to look.