Hybrid/Digital Scrapbooking : Working with Layered Templates

[ supplies: Template: Ali Edwards Template 12; Background: Anna's Weathered Neutrals; Patterned Papers: Anna Victoria Pina Designer Paper Pack; Overlay: Title + Journal Travel Overlay ]

This is a full digital scrapbook layout created entirely on the computer. This is the other end of the spectrum from simply adding brushes and overlays to your photos, printing them out, and adding them to your paper layouts.

Take a deep breath before reading below. Once you get the hang of these they are super fun and easy but can definitely be a bit of a challenge in the beginning.

The basic design for this page comes from this layered template:

Ae_layeredtemplateno12prev

What is a layered template? I like to think of a layered template as an interactive map. "Interactive" is the key word because it is not like a sketch in that you use it simply as an example, rather it is literally the layout you add your elements to on your computer. Everything is laid out for you in advance (you can follow it exactly or you can move things around - those choices are completely up to you).

When you look at the image above there are a bunch of different shapes. Each of the shapes can be "replaced" with a photo or patterned paper by following the instructions below. Each of these shapes lives on it's own layer in the layer palette.

The best thing about these templates is that you don't have to stare at a blank slate if you don't want to - these are there as a guide to give you some direction. From there you get to customize/choose your own papers, colors, etc (compared to a Quick Page where all the patterned papers, theme, etc are already chosen for you).

As with everything I have talked about this week there is a bit of a learning curve.

Here's a basic screen shot how-to for working with layered templates: [ Note that I am sure there are more than one way to work with these templates - these are the steps I take to put my layout together. ]

Picture1

1. Open the .PSD file in Photoshop. You do need to have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to work with these layered templates. One of the keys here is that this is a LAYERED TEMPLATE meaning that none of the layers have been flattened or merged together. You can see each individual layer in the long palette above. Each element has it's own layer.

Picture2

2. Choose a patterned paper you want to include on your layout and open it.

Picture3

3. Drag and drop the patterned paper onto the layered template (you can also use copy + paste). In the layers palette, move the patterned paper layer to the spot directly above the area you want to place the patterned paper. One thing to know: the layers palette goes from top to bottom. The elements at the top of the list are on the top of the pile of layers in your layout.

Picture4

4. With the patterned paper layer selected, on my Mac I hit "option + command + g." Hitting those keys will "clip" the patterned paper into that little shape. On a PC the keyboard shortcut to create a "clipping mask" is "control + g." You can also master this same task by going to the top of the layer palette. There you will find a drop down menu in the upper right corner. With the photo/paper layer selected choose 'group with previous' and it will 'clip' the patterned paper to the shape of the layer below.

Repeat this same process for all the places you want to add patterned paper.

Picture5

5. Follow the exact same steps as above for adding your photos.

Picture6

6. Drag and drop your photo onto the layered template. In the layer palette, move the photo layer (click + drag) to the spot on the list directly above the layer you want to clip the photo into.

Picture7

7. Repeat step 4 (above) to clip the photo onto/into the layer.

And that's pretty much it. Seriously, once I got the hang of this I was really excited about how easy it was. The most challenging part becomes choosing the patterned paper to use!

If you are interested in checking out my of my layered templates at Designer Digitals go here.

Dottedline_2

Need to read someone else's words or get more information? Check out these layered template tutorials:

Taylor Made Designs (includes a free template to download and try out as you follow along with the instructions - very detailed step by step with great screenshots)

Misty Cato Designs

Cassie Jones from Designer Digitals has a great tutorial called Getting Started with Templates ($5.99) that is a full-color 21 page PDF with screenshots. Totally worth having that as a reference and a starting point.

Also check out Jessica Sprague's free digital kits at the bottom of this link - the perfect way to check out some of this crazy digital stuff without spending any cash.

Dottedline_2

And a common question:

I don't have a 12x12 printer. How would I print my layouts?

1. Adjust the size to 8x8 and print from home.
2. Upload to a service like scrapbookpictures.com, Shutterfly, or Costco. They can print these as 12x12 and you can add them right into your albums.

Here's the layout above the was re-sized to 8x8 for printing at home:

Layoutimage

This layout will go right into my 3-ring albums. I may adhere it to a piece of cardstock so it will fit in a 12x12 or 8.5x11 page protector, or I will cut + stitch a page protector to fit.

I am actually really excited about the possibilities here. I love that this is simply another option I have in telling my stories. I love that these layouts go right into my albums, complementing all the other stories that have been told in creative ways.

Dottedline_2

For more information on hybrid and digital check out Getting Started With Digital Scrapbooking.

1. Anneke Nevels

2008-07-10 20:31:52 -0700

Hi ali,
    I think your digital layouts are amazing. But how do you print them? Are they the same size as the real scrappaper (12x12 inch I think, it's 30x30 cm in Europe) Have you got a special printer for this? If so, which one do you use?
    Thanks for your inspiration!
    Anneke

2. Becky Swisher

2008-07-10 22:15:41 -0700

ali. all i can say is... oh my god... no glue! And no mess on my desk!
    I am truly inspired to learn and "master" digital scrapbooking. thanks for the great week of ideas.

3. annie

2008-07-10 22:49:12 -0700

thank you so much for these great tutorials. when you print out the layouts, do you just use bazill cardstock and, if so, can you print on the textured side?

4. D'Nese

2008-07-10 22:55:48 -0700

Hey Ali-
    Thank GOD you are doing this cause I have no clue where to start. I truly love this week your doing on your blog. I do have a question though, is there anyway that to have this put all into one section to print off for future reference when us ladies attempt to master this skill? Or if you can suggest something, that would be wonderful.. =)
    thanks..

5. melissa

2008-07-11 00:12:13 -0700

Well I must say I feel as if this post was completely directed towards me and I must say THANK YOU. I had to laugh at your email yesterday when you said the directions were enclosed with the template file. Those are NOT directions, but your post sure is. I managed to accomplish a finished layout using your email last night and I appreciate the fact that you are the "Amazing Ali Edwards", but managed to find time to help. You will never know how much you inspire all of us newbie's out there. Keep the good stuff coming because I will be here to soak it up.

6. Jessica

2008-07-11 03:06:49 -0700

What type of printer do you use?

7. Ali

2008-07-11 03:30:04 -0700

Jessica - I use a HP Photosmart D7360. Picked it up at Office Max. It's been great.

8. Carole Hepburn

2008-07-11 03:53:27 -0700

Ali ,
    Thank you for the inspiration and the "how to" to go with it ! I am venturing into digital and think I can do it .... Have a great weekend.
    Carole

9. Melina {gingerkitty}

2008-07-11 06:05:38 -0700

Ali. Beautiful. I have a question for you. Is life artist a trademark or copyrighted term? I have been using it for my blog and I am hoping that I am okay with that. Please email me.. thank you..
    Thanks for your constant inspiration.

10. Jen G

2008-07-11 06:38:46 -0700

What I love about doing these is that when you get towards the end of the year you print a bunch of each and put together albums as Christmas gifts. THis is what I make/give to my aunts and uncles. They don't need/want stuff. They are too far away to be a part of our daily lives. But they love us, they love my girls and they love to know what is happening in our lives. These provide a yearly glimpse.
    The first year, I did this for my mom's sisters. Mom got a *gift* but she held these albums like they were made of gold and asked... could she please have one too. SURE! click, print, adhere, bind with ribbon. Happiness in an 8x8 package.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Jen

11. Becky

2008-07-11 06:59:21 -0700

I'm new to the whole digi world, so I just love seeing transformed templates! Thanks for sharing!
    :) Becky

12. Lily

2008-07-11 07:03:27 -0700

Wonderful template. I'll have to play with it later!

13. collette~all over the map

2008-07-11 16:04:00 -0700

Loving your site so much. I discovered you not too long ago and have become totally fascinated with everything you share and all you create. I love photos and word documentation. I especially like how you put your own touch on everything. The one thing about scrap booking that I never could relate to and sort of turned me away is the "overkill" of embellishments. Thanks for showing it can be original and simple. This makes me much more excited to give scrapping a go.

14. Kimberly White

2008-07-12 02:11:22 -0700

Thank you Ali! I've been taking Jessica's classes and have fallen in love with Digi scrapping! I really love all your new product in the Designer Digitals store! Thanks for this week of inspiration! Hope you have a wonderful day! Kim

15. Emily

2008-07-12 08:10:17 -0700

I love reading your stuff about digital scrapbooking. Being a digital scrapbooker and designer myself, it's fun to see people dabbling in it! :)

16. Kate

2008-07-12 11:06:13 -0700

Ali...I will see you in Chicago...one of these days I will take the hybrid plunge...just need time...have any extra?
    Kate

17. Vanessa Gooch

2008-07-13 13:21:05 -0700

I am loving your blog and this post was awesome! I am just starting to dabble in the world of digital scrapbooking and just got Photoshop Elements for my b-day, so this will help! Thanks so much!

18. vinnie

2008-07-13 13:45:26 -0700

Looks great Ali!

19. MyEbella

2008-07-13 17:30:41 -0700

loving your templates...
    Need to get some shopping in!!!
    P.S... I have recently coverted to 8.5x11 3 ring books and sadly my 8x8 page protectors don't fit, so for now I am just putting my 8x8 pages in the 8.5x11 protectors and just leaving as is...
    we'll see if that changes, but what i'm doing!!!!

20. Jodee

2008-07-14 10:59:32 -0700

You do a wonderful job of explaining this so that we understand! Thank you for that. I have not ventured into digital, but you do make it seem easy and fun and maybe worth a shot! You are great like that!

21. Michelle in Colorado

2008-09-13 05:40:59 -0700

PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS USERS: No clipping mask function is avaible but "group with previous" does the same thing! Took me a while to figure this out!!!

22. free scrapbooking printouts

2008-12-02 01:00:49 -0800

thanks so much for the post, Ive been looking all over the web to learn more about my wifes favorite passtime in hopes of finding the perfect christmas gift. Great infotmation, I will have to share this with my wife.

23. Peter Kirkham

2009-02-10 17:59:24 -0800

Well I have to say that this is quite a clever use of layers that makes digital scrapbooking just so much more accessible to those that aren't very familiar with graphics programmes. Seems so obvious once you've seen someone else do it! Will definitely have to show this one to my wife and try to create some blank templates for her in Photoshop Elements or Corel Photo-Paint. Thanks for the inspiration.

24. future

2009-05-13 01:41:58 -0700

Very simple and very interested^) Tnx

25. Christine Guest

2010-02-06 22:22:26 -0800

Very helpful tutorial.
    Something you might be interested in: you can open the files with their layers in the GIMP, an open source program. I'm only just beginning to play with digital elements in it, I haven't found any tutorials for working with it, so I'm wading through the forums on-line that are on different topics to figure out what I need to know.