Three Things : For the Love of Punches

Punches

Regular readers know about my affinity for the Marvy Giga square punch. It is probably my most used tool (next to the crop-a-dile). Punches tend to be a bigger ticket item but are in it for the long haul especially if you use them often. They are a tool that can be used over and over (and over) again - making it really worth the initial cost. Here's a look at two of my favorites and one new one.

Marvy Uchida Giga Square Punch : This is my all time favorite, most recommended punch. It is often advertised as a 3-inch punch (they measure it on the diagnol), but it is actually just about 2 1/4 inches across and down. I use this one all the time for photos and patterned paper squares. See examples below.

Paper Shapers Small Corner Rounder : Another classic. Another tool I reach for often that adds just a little touch of softness to the corners. I often use these on the four corners of a gathering (see the second layout below) to bring the whole thing together.

McGill Bracket Punch : This is a fun new punch that I imagine would get a lot of use around here as well. Love that they can be mixed and matched and would be fun to play around with some patterned paper.

Here's one of my all-time favorites from 2005 using the Marvy Giga punch (I think it's time to do a new one of these):

Ae_amroutine_copy_2

And another one that uses both the Giga punch and the corner rounder:

Valentines07_low

[ from Life Artist: Notes from Today stamp from Catslife Press.]

Dottedline

[ Three Things is a weekly product series : check out the archives here. ]

1. Bree

2008-09-16 04:22:01 -0400

Do you only use the crop-a-dile for hole punching? I don't see a lot of eyelets and snaps on your layouts. Also thanks for the info on the square punch measurement -- I had no idea they were sized on the diagonal.

2. Ali

2008-09-16 04:36:19 -0400

I have ended up buying a new square punch (tried the foil thing as well). All the ones I have had have not been perfect - they leave little bits off the edge, etc. I figure that is part of the "imperfection" of the craft.
    I mainly use the crop-a-dile for hole punches :). Nope, not a lot of eyelets on my pages. The crop-a-dile is so great for going through chipboard.

3. Sonja Chandler

2008-09-16 05:17:37 -0400

I actually just bought the Marvy punch in the 3' circle yesterday and LOVE it!!! And I love that am routine layout too Ali.So, so cute.
    Grateful for all your info and tips and love. Appreciate it much.

4. Christina

2008-09-16 05:46:56 -0400

Love the am routine page. I'm looking forward to making a similiar one... as soon as we've hit our am stride.
    That bracket punch ROCKS! Oh I really love that and would love to see it in my stocking! I'll make a note of it!
    thanks!

5. Alexa

2008-09-16 06:06:25 -0400

Hi Ali,
    Just wondering if you still have you Cafe Press shop? I've been wanting one of your life artisit t-shirts forever and now i've finally got round to ordering one, i can't find the link! Please don't tell me you closed the shop!!

6. Maggie

2008-09-16 06:08:14 -0400

THAT EXPLAINS IT...
    How you line up these photo collages. With a paper cutter, I end up not trimming one exactly square and it throws of the whole thing, especially if I'm butting them all together. We all know I need my straight lines.
    I only have the nesting ones from CM. I may have to invest in a mega punch. My largest is 1.5" up and down. First, I may try some geometics since I have four squares and four circles already, and a coluzzle. I need to get busy!

7. Lisa

2008-09-16 06:10:40 -0400

Oh yeah, you have inspired me to get my punches out and use them. I need to get the big square one. I just bought the one that looks like a spiral notebook.
    Love your a.m. LO and the one where you used the corner punch too.
    TFS

8. Mary Beth Shaw

2008-09-16 06:12:16 -0400

Hey Ali, we met briefly at Artfest last year. Anyhoo, I snagged a quote from the NY Times article that mentioned you (on Sunday) and thought I should give you the heads up. Hope that's ok....
    mbshaw.blogspot.com
    if you are interested.
    Mary Beth

9. Giulia

2008-09-16 07:28:39 -0400

I love punches too! Thanks to share your tip and tricks! I would have the mega square punch ... it's very nice and useful to make scrapbooking with more photos!
    Bye from your fan from Italy!
    Giulia

10. kathy

2008-09-16 07:30:20 -0400

I'm new to digital scrapbooking and I have to say - I Love your Pages! I'm looking for inspiration and groups to join. I'm new to the area where we are living and hoping to find a group of women who enjoy scrapping as well. I posted a new page today to my blog using my PSE program. I had fun with it and would love to find time to create more, more, more. Love your blog!

11. kathy

2008-09-16 07:30:32 -0400

12. Sandee Allen

2008-09-16 08:44:55 -0400

As soon as I can afford to buy things again ( i.e. as soon as I am employed again! lol ) I am buying all 3 of those punches!

13. Sue B>..

2008-09-16 09:11:49 -0400

I agree I have the Marvy Giga Square & like it. My hubby & kids bought it for me for mom's day one year on their annual trip to scrap store for me. At first I was like oh can I use this but now I see the light. I also like the punch that makes paper like ripped notebook paper from EK. I got it from Stampin Up but it's EK. Take care of yourselves.

14. katharina

2008-09-16 10:17:49 -0400

Oh, yes - I can understand your love for punches!
    I just bought a (long wanted) corner-round-puncher - and I'm so glad i did it finally!

15. alison

2008-09-16 10:29:12 -0400

Hi Ali,
    I've actually had the bracket punch for about a year now, and I was really excited to find it... the only thing is it sometimes gets lighter weight paper caught in it... If you put scrap cardstock underneath the lighter weight paper it helps.
    The design of the other punches (with a lever) seems to work better, and I noticed EK came out with a similar brackets punch that may be worth a try.
    - A

16. Barb

2008-09-16 10:41:34 -0400

How do you do the circle within your square punches? I've tried and it doesn't look nearly as neat and perfect as yours. Thanks.

17. Pattie Knox

2008-09-16 14:42:13 -0400

"A.M. Routine" is one of my all time favorites from you Ali ... enjoyed seeing it again SO much. :)

18. Tamara

2008-09-16 15:38:41 -0400

I will have to look out for one of those as well....I have other square punches!
    How and where did you get ahold of the visual cues that help SImon? I would like to find a source for those images as well because they would be great for me to incorporate into the Kindergarten classroom.
    If you can help please let me know...thanks

19. Andrea

2008-09-16 15:58:51 -0400

I use Boardmaker to do the picture schedules all the time (I'm a school psychologist). I thought it was fun to see them on a scrapbook page!

20. Scrap Evangel

2008-09-16 16:10:11 -0400

I love the design, but I'm most impressed by the sentences that your son has formulated with his PECS symbols. You see I'm not only a scrapper, but I'm a speech and language therapist! LOL!

21. Ashley

2008-09-16 16:41:34 -0400

Great post! I love the bracket punch! I haven't seen it before!

22. heather Emans

2008-09-16 17:06:03 -0400

love your scrapping of the picture symbols.

23. alexandra

2008-09-17 03:41:58 -0400

You got me hooked on punches years ago - they are fabulous!!
    Thanks, Ali!!
    (The tab punch is also a cool one!)

24. Rebecca F.

2008-09-17 11:51:00 -0400

Ali
    Where did you get the little squares with the pictures? I care for a 3 year old on Fridays who has no expressive language (she physically cannot speak) and I would love to begin to work with some of those with her. I've looked at some online but they aren't as good as yours.
    Thanks!
    Rebecca F.

25. sue

2008-09-18 01:02:19 -0400

I don't have one of these giga punches but was thinking about it because I use my other two square punches pretty often. A square punch is a 'must' in the scrap/stamp kit!
    Sue