Three Things : Halloween

Halloween

[ product info below ]

A few weeks ago we had the outside of our house painted. I was waiting until that was finished to start bringing out the Halloween decorations. And now I am so, so excited to get down to the business of decorating.

This is coming into a time of year I just love: Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I have started baskets of supplies for each holiday (adding to last year's stash) and have begun making lists of things I want to put together this year.

Wondertimepumpkin

I love this pumpkin pounding idea over at Wondertime (via Two Straight Lines). I am also going to go for something along the lines of pumpkins that were on the cover of County Home (or Cottage Living or one of those this past month) - they used larger circles that will require a bit more work but had such a cool look. My mom and I strategized on this and decided that I could use a circle cookie cutter (not huge obviously) to start the circle and then use a knife to cut the rest out.

I am in the middle of putting together my a Halloween minibook from last year that I will post when I have finished later this week.

Here's three of the products I have been gathering or am planning to pick up for this season:

Teresa Collins Spooktacular Halloween Circle Tag patterned paper : especially fond of the circles with the lines. The back is black with large white dots (image shows a portion of a 12x12 sheet of paper).

Little Yellow Bicycle Frightful Clear Cut Frames: great for pages in a minibook or as overlays on top of photos.

Evalicious Halloween Mix Button Embellishments: thought these were really cute and could be used in lots of different ways around the house as well as in paper projects.

Dottedline

[ Three Things is a weekly product series : check out the archives here. ]

1. kelli

2008-10-14 06:36:27 -0400

You can get large circle cutters for your drill, they use them to cut holes for door knobs, etc. You can get a variety of sizes.

2. Joanne

2008-10-14 07:16:26 -0400

here I thought I was going to be so clever and recommend a drill with a key hole cutter...but everyone has said that. Also the Dremmel would work well too....hope you post pictures when you get it done.

3. amy coon

2008-10-14 07:44:45 -0400

Ali the real easy way to do the pumpkin holes are with a cordless drill and various size bits if your husband has one goes really fast and the paddle bit makes great bigger holes------just a tip AMY

4. kerry

2008-10-14 07:52:47 -0400

Yep... try the power drill with hole attachments for cool, perfect holes on your pumpkins! Not to mention, it's great stress relief!! Haha!

5. Kim R

2008-10-14 07:56:45 -0400

Love the pumpkin and the products. Halloween is such a fun and creative holiday.

6. Tobi Kelly

2008-10-14 08:01:19 -0400

You can use a screw/drill will large drill bits, or the ones that are BIG...and look different (that is a technical term you know!)...to drill the holes...it works great!

7. Ashley

2008-10-14 08:15:14 -0400

the buttons are too cute! cant wait to see your mini book!

8. Sara

2008-10-14 09:07:54 -0400

What they said! I was going to tellyou the same thing about drilling holes. Fast and easy. Trying to cut those little holes is hard but drilling them is easy -- and destructive and FUN with power tools!

9. Laura

2008-10-14 10:02:01 -0400

I wonder if the crop-a-dile will work on a pumpkin?

10. Audrey

2008-10-14 10:08:41 -0400

I love fall so much that my DH and DS now are lovers also. We did circle faces one year, my DH used a drill with the circle drill bit LOL....

11. donna

2008-10-14 10:44:39 -0400

just love your fall post. i have received your recent book of mini albums nad have decided i need to make a fall/halloween photo mini book of some sort of my darling neice and nephew! sooo many photos and not enough time to play!
    i have done the circle pumpkins ..but i used martha's way..various drill bit sizes! they go thru in a heart beat, big or small..and wow! what a dynamic clean look! i did a fake pumpkin, little holes and poked black wired purple lightes thru the little holes! so fun...and not rotting!
    happy halloween!

12. Gina Baynes

2008-10-14 12:15:20 -0400

I have done this pumpkin using the drill bits before and it worked great. Instead of cutting the top off of the pumpkin, I cut a hole in the bottom, rubbed the inside with ground cinnamon/nutmeg and placed the whole pumpkin over the top of a votive (in a glass holder)--The heat from the candle warmed up the spices and it smelled wonderful-- plus it was pretty to look at!

13. Sarah

2008-10-14 13:06:55 -0400

Completely unrelated to todays post, but I thought you might like to check this out... http://recordtheday.blogspot.com/

14. Sharon F.

2008-10-14 13:49:01 -0400

Oh love the idea of cutting out the bottom...very clever... I actually use a pumpkin carving kit and its so fun and easy. But depends upon the size hole you are wanting.
    Can't wait to see photos. I did monograms last year of my pets initials. Loved them.

15. Erin Ann

2008-10-14 14:23:11 -0400

I saw in a magazine to use an apple corer to cut out circles. I am going to try it-going for the polka-dot look :)

16. Tanya

2008-10-14 14:44:11 -0400

Martha Stewart had a Halloween special on tv last week (some old and some new stuff packed in one hour) and she had the coolest pumpkins that she shared. Check them out. I LOVE the village and the pumpkin snake! (Hope the link works - if not Google: Martha Stewart pumpkin snake) http://www.fineliving.com/fine/martha_stewart_show/article/0,,FINE_30416_5713584,00.htm

17. Jana

2008-10-14 16:05:06 -0400

This year I'm going to use those little battery powered tea lights you can find at dollar stores---I always like using real small pumpkins, but the candles usually scorch the lids of the pumpkins, making them smoke, even with vent holes cut out of the top. Since all our pumpkins we grew this year are so tiny I thought I'd try the little fake tea lights---don't have to worry about fire that way too! Another halloween tip!

18. Amber

2008-10-14 18:32:12 -0400

I love non-traditional pumpkins. I have seen a lot of articles lately with really cool ideas. I saw the one in BHG that someone mentioned where they cut circles from white/orange pumpkins and then switched them.
    I also saw an article in Family Circle where they spray painted them.
    The last article I saw, they spray painted small pumpkins and gourds gold {I'll do silver} and used them as a centerpiece throughout Christmas. What a way to make your decorations work for you!
    This is my absolute favorite time of year as well. I just have to be careful not to push it by too fast b/c I'm so anxious!! I want Halloween to be over so I can get ready for Thanksgiving. Then I want Thanksgiving to hurry up so I can decorate for Christmas. :)
    I've been collecting, planning, organizing. I've done pink/green for the last couple years at Christmas, and this year I'm going to do red/silver. So I'm especially anxious to plan & organize. I just bought a wooden Nutcracker tonight at Goodwill and I love it!
    You should totally check out the latest Pottery Barn magazine. I know you'd go nuts over it!

19. Nancy C.

2008-10-14 18:54:27 -0400

This isn't exactly on the topic, but I thought you'd appreciate it. Someone painted a pumpkin to look exactly like one of the Obama/Biden buttons and donated it to our local headquarters to adorn the issue paper table. They used the dark blue background and then the circle logo. Looks very cool!

20. rachel carlson

2008-10-15 02:53:37 -0400

great halloween ideas. i especially like the whack-o-lantern. i'm going to try that because i love polka dots and this will be perfect. thanks for sharing, rachel

21. NanaBeth

2008-10-15 05:03:55 -0400

I think Little Yellow Bicycle totally nailed Halloween this year. I want every piece of their collection. Just went to the Etsy store-
    my goose is totally cooked now. She has some fantastic stuff. Thanks (I think) for the link.

22. Cami

2008-10-15 05:31:33 -0400

You can make a polka dot pumpkin with an apple corer. Super easy!

23. Kendra Mizer

2008-10-15 05:45:26 -0400

Ali, is everything okay with you? We haven't heard from you today and you usually let us know when you'll be "off". Just checking in on you and your family! HUGS.

24. Lisa

2008-10-16 00:39:42 -0400

Those are really very beautiful Halloween stuffs.

25. Lisa!

2008-10-16 01:41:30 -0400

I used an apple corer for my dotted pumpkin.