Baby Reflections Journal/MiniBook

Albumspine

One of the things I am hoping to do over the next few weeks after the new baby arrives is document some of those thoughts, feelings, emotions, and observations in a little journal/minibook. The concept is simple; putting it together is simple. In this case I wanted something that was smaller, that could go in a bag or sit on my bedside table, that was easy to grab and jot down my reflections.

Am I going to have another more traditional baby book? Maybe. Most likely I will just start doing some scrapbook pages that document the stories of her life that will go into a 12x12 album. I imagine that some of those stories may come from what gets written down within the pages of this journal.

I envision adding a few photos to this little book (photos glued back to back and added in as pages) and other pieces of "stuff" maybe from the hospital, tags from clothes, etc.

The inside follows a simple formula of printed journal cards and patterned papers. I have been holding on to these patterned papers from Anna Griffin for years and was so excited to finally put them to good use. They are some of my favorites.

IMG_5064

The "A" stamp is from the See and Stamp Jumbo Uppercase Alphabet Stamps
set. Ink is Color Box/Hero Arts (it's the perfect little selection of six pinks).

The album I am using is a new three ring Memory Binder album from Heidi Swapp/Janet Hopkins that fits 5 inches x 7 inches pieces of paper and should be available in March. Here's a link to scrapbook.com where you can sign up for notification when it becomes available. It comes with a bunch of different pockets and pages and envelopes and such but I removed them for this particular project. I did leave two page protectors in the back as collection pockets.

The interior pages are a combination of patterned paper and "reflections" journal cards that are available for download through Designer Digitals. Simply open on your computer and print on white cardstock. What's cool about these cards is that they don't have to be used in a baby journal. The cards include the words: reflections, remember,
memories, moments, today, and together. Use them to document a new
life, one that has passed on, an adventure, your one little word, a
time of transition, daily thoughts, etc. So many possibilities.

IMG_5065

The scalloped edges on the patterned paper were created using the Fiskars Threading Water Border Punch and the new Scallop Sentiment Border Punch (scallops without the holes). For the pages like you see above, I took two small strips of the patterned paper, adhered them back to back, used the border punch and then adhered it between two journal cards. These pages are a bit wider than 5 inches with the scallop border added.

IMG_5066

Mmheartaccent
Making Memories dimensional hearts "sweets"
adhered with a glue dot. Perfectly simple.

IMG_5067

Plasticheartcloseup
Making Memories Trim
+ Heidi Swapp Heart Ghost Shape + Tim Holtz Trinket Pin

I repeated the basic foundation pattern and flow for each spread: metal-rimmed circle accent, plastic
"sweets" heart from Making Memories, and finally a piece of trim with
a heart and dangling accents.

IMG_5068

"Exhibit A" stamp from Catslife Press.

IMG_5069 IMG_5070

IMG_5071

Loveaccent

Making Memories Trim + Jenni Bowlin Felt Heart + Making Memories Love Charm

And repeat again. I didn't do the patterned papers in any particular order - just adhered them to the backs of some of the journal cards.

IMG_5072

I have no idea where that butterfly stamp is from anymore. Anyone?

IMG_5073

IMG_5074

IMG_5075

Feltheartcloseup

Here's a look at it standing up:

Albumstanding

I can't wait to begin filling it up. For now I am leaving the cover plain - maybe I will do something with it or I may just leave it as is. It is now tucked away in my hospital bag - ready and waiting for this next experience to begin.

view more comments
25 of 162
  1. Katie

2009-02-10 10:47:00 -0800

This is wonderful, Already brainstorming what i can use to make my own! Thanks for all the inspiration!

2. Rachel

2009-02-10 11:03:48 -0800

Truely gorgeous album Ali :-) Enjoy filling it.

3. Heather

2009-02-10 23:19:25 -0800

What a beautiful book! Congratulations.

4. Jeni

2009-02-10 23:41:02 -0800

Love the journal Ali. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

5. NICOLE MARTEL

2009-02-11 06:59:31 -0800

very nice!!

6. Ale Belerique

2009-02-11 09:00:08 -0800

Amazing!
    It's so beautiful!
    It's so sweet...
    :)thanks for sharing!

7. Margaret

2009-02-11 10:23:30 -0800

Love your book! If anyone needs some of that Anna Griffin paper, I know that Scrapbook Connection in Warrenton, Oregon or in Grants Pass, Oregon may have some left on their shelves from a DOUBLE order.

8. Jamie

2009-02-11 21:43:57 -0800

Ali! Thank you so much for sharing your little journal for Anna. I'm so excited about it as I'm due to be induced with my little boy next week! I have the whole weekend set aside and have already downloaded the templates to put one together. Thank you so very much for the inspiration... you're the best!
    Congratulations on your beautiful daughter!

9. Eve

2009-02-11 21:57:28 -0800

So delicate.. Love it ;)
    Eve

10. Eve

2009-02-11 21:57:51 -0800

So delicate.. Love it ;)
    Eve

11. PamSpradlin

2009-02-12 02:22:03 -0800

It will be perfect for your baby girl.

12. Jacqueline M. Schimmel

2009-02-12 17:22:45 -0800

absolutely gorgeous!!!

13. Beth Johnson

2009-02-13 10:43:34 -0800

So happy for you and for your family. Enjoy these days, they pass so quickly by.
    Congratulations Simon, on becoming a big brother!

14. Z

2009-02-15 01:29:32 -0800

could you tell me please, what's the name of the font you are using?
    mrs Z

15. Roxanne

2009-02-23 07:33:27 -0800

What a stunning book to write your reflections and memories in! My only thoughts to share on having two (boy 5 and girl 21 months of my own) is that the second one goes by even faster it seems. They are different, you are different, your environment is different because there are more of you involved. Continue to be patient with yourself and try not to feel too guilty if you can't give the second one everything you gave the first. It cannot be the same - you are spread thinner. I've often found torn between guilt over what I'm not able to give to my son compared to what I used to, contrasted with moments of guilt over not being able to give her everything I gave him because the focus was just him for the first 3 years. The reality is that you can only do your best to give them all you can and try not to forget to take care of yourself and your husband along the way. Life is short but you are so wise for your age. You will continue to be blessed and keep your priorities aligned as best you can despite being so incredibly busy. Congratulations on such an amazing experience - you don't just have "kids", they each have a sibling too - there are so many amazing facets to this next part of your journey and new relationships to explore. What a gift! Enjoy!

16. Mikkel

2009-02-26 00:59:47 -0800

Wow, just beautiful! Congratulations on your healthy, gorgeous baby girl and increased family!

17. gypsy alex

2009-02-28 02:51:19 -0800

Hi Ali! I'm in love with all the 'pattern papers' you used. Where did you get them? xo

18. gypsy alex

2009-02-28 02:54:46 -0800

Oh! Ooops! Just saw papers came from Anna Griffin. Lovely! xo

19. Heidi Y

2009-03-01 23:40:29 -0800

love - love - love this!! i wish i had something like this during my daughters' first years... i'll have to make something like this for my sil and friends...

20. Investment casting

2009-03-04 13:57:56 -0800

You look great!

21. hennyLee

2009-03-05 09:36:38 -0800

I'm preparing for my own baby now in 3months. With your tips here I'd be able to make a journal of my own.
    God bless you, Ali.
    (: hope the heidiswapp journal is in store now!

22. Ewa

2009-03-12 06:40:30 -0700

Ali - or whoever else, if anybody, happens to read this - I just got the beautiful Reflection Journal Cards and am finding I have no clue how to begin changing the color from black to one that will match the journal I am hoping to make. Is there any info "out there" I could find on how to do that? Has anyone bought this and done it and would be willing to share their wisdom with me? Have mercy on an inexperienced, but aspiring digital scrapper!

23. Connie B

2009-04-07 04:23:34 -0700

Beautiful book Ali! Can you tell me what the album/binder is? Did you make that or buy it?
    Blessings to you !

24. Viarty Kemal

2009-05-13 17:52:48 -0700

I really love this journal book so I purchased the reflection download from Designers Digital then print it in paper. They are so awesome. I love it.
    But how to change the color from black ink to other colors in Photoshop?. I just love what you did with these pink color.. I just don't know much about Photoshop ;)
    thanks Ali

25. laurie

2010-08-16 23:26:32 -0700

the memory binder is now a discontinued item - anyone have a tip on a similar product available for purchase now?