Weekend Creative : Write Something By Hand

Writesomething

When was the last time you incorporated your own handwriting into a project?

Do you wish you had a piece of paper with your grandmother's or grandfather's handwriting scrawled across? It's totally possible they weren't fans of their own handwriting either. Just a piece of paper with messy penmanship can be a powerful connection to the past.

Do it today. Write out a favorite quote or poem. Send it to someone. Paste it on a layout. Stuff it in an envelope and put it somewhere you keep special things. It is special.

1. Kim L.

2009-08-28 05:15:21 -0700

My local scrapbook store owner tells me that Kokuyo is going out of business and she can no longer get that adhesive. I got this on your recommendation and can't think how I can live without it!! What is your second favorite roller adhesive? Thanks.
    Kim L.

2. Deb

2009-08-28 05:24:57 -0700

I HATE my handwriting! I have tried to improve it, but it just doesn't happen. The owner of my local scrapbooking store (sadly, going out of business)is a big advocate of hand journaling. She gets me to do it occasionally.

3. Daphne

2009-08-28 05:30:25 -0700

I love handwriting. Handwritten notes, journaling, snail mail by friends and family, writing letters, ... but, how do you write something and download it unto a picture or to your blog; etc. .. with Windows ...
    Daphne

4. Ali Edwards

2009-08-28 06:03:36 -0700

I am testing some out currently and will let you know soon. It is such a bummer!

5. Ali Edwards

2009-08-28 06:03:57 -0700

I think it comes down to embracing what you have :).

6. Ali Edwards

2009-08-28 06:05:35 -0700

Hi Daphne - you can get it onto your computer by scanning it in using a scanner or you can use a tablet (such as a Bamboo from Wacom) + pen set up.

7. ann

2009-08-28 06:16:51 -0700

I completely agree! I started adding more handwritten thing to my projects a little over a year ago. I just had one of the project published in Somerset Holidays - a Thanksgiving pumpkin. I had all my family members write out what they were thankful for. I had to remind them NO TYPING!!! Because some of them didn't want to 'cause they thought their handwriting was too sloppy. But that's what I wanted. I'm also working on a cookbook scrapbook including some of my grandmothers' handwritten recipes! They are VERY special.

8. Rani

2009-08-28 06:17:57 -0700

I love this reminder! Thanks!!
    I have such illegible handwriting, but ever since middle school, this is what I was known for...if it was illegible, it was mine!!! LOL!
    But I'm ok with that! and so are the people that mean the most to me, my friends and family! They love my handwriting and the fact that I need to decipher it for them!!!

9. lizgleason

2009-08-28 06:41:14 -0700

i'm trying to think of something to write down. i think i'll just do a "today we..." note and stash it away in their keepsake totes. today my 3 children and i (ages 7,5.5 and 3) have played hide&seek in the house, watched movies and shared peanut butter and apples. one of the better days cooped up inside! thank you for reminding us to cherish our writing. my dad has one page from a tablet of my mom's signature (which she practiced extensively) on his fridge. its been 6 years since she passed.

10. Olessia from Canada

2009-08-28 07:16:31 -0700

Hi Ali,
    I have not very solid handwriting,but i still use it and I think it is the best special touch.
    Thanks Ali

11. Megan P

2009-08-28 07:30:36 -0700

i just wanted to say that thanks to you i have come to love my own handwriting and i now use it on almost all my layouts, you taught me that simple is better and the fact that the story is documented is all that matters, and because of this i just do my pages as fast as i can and move on which means using my own writing almost all the time!
    Thanks you are a great inspiration to me!
    Megan

12. Kristy

2009-08-28 07:53:47 -0700

i simply can not stand my writing. printing or handwriting, yuck. but i read a blog yesterday with an inspiring story, and then reading yours today, i will for sure make a list of my most favorite things: foods, colors, movies, stores, etc. for my girls. i will tuck it away for them to read someday.
    thank you for the inspiration.
    kristy

13. Ali Edwards

2009-08-28 08:30:38 -0700

That's a perfect idea.

14. Diane C

2009-08-28 08:38:39 -0700

I hate my handwriting. It's a mess. But my dad died a few years ago and I was going through some of his things and I found old tax forms of all things and I saw his handwriting and started crying. It was messy and bad just like mine but it brought him back in a rush. I put my messy bad handwriting on layouts all the time now. Who I am is on every page.

15. Tanya W

2009-08-28 09:47:49 -0700

this is so true, when gran passed away 3 years ago i was thankful for the recipe books she had given me years earlier with her hand writting in the front of them, i have quite a few layouts and altered books with my hand writing and even though i hate it and i know its messy its part of me and it will be part of my history won't it...but some layouts are to nice to ruin with my hand writting hehe.....

16. ~lisa w~

2009-08-28 10:21:03 -0700

You are soooo right about an individual's handwriting being special. . .I'd consider it priceless.
    When my Mom died 6 years ago, my sister and I had the task of going through her things. Out of all her personal belongings, two items stood out as 'treasures' to me.
    1. Her recipe box, filled with all of her 'handwritten' favorites.
    2. A questionaire, that I had given to her years before. I had asked every question anyone would ever want to know. . .favorites, memories, childhood. . .etc. . .and she 'hand wrote' each answer out. I had never before seen her answers. She had tucked it away to be found when the time was right.
    There is something truly comforting about seeing her handwriting. . .and 'No'. . .she didn't like it. : )
    Thank you for encouraging your readers to put something special down in their own writing. . .others will honestly appreciate their efforts later.
    -lisa

17. Alana M

2009-08-28 10:42:43 -0700

If I don't have much to say or am lazy - do it by hand. If I have a lot to say and know I'll screw up somewhere - by computer. In the end - about 50/50.

18. Ali Edwards

2009-08-28 12:24:43 -0700

That's about the same as me Alana - much easier to type when you have a lot to say :).

19. Nicky Hurt

2009-08-28 14:39:46 -0700

Amen, sister!! I love my handwriting, but now I do almost all digital pages, so I pull out my Wacom and add my handwriting that way. :)

20. Danni

2009-08-28 22:42:38 -0700

This is why I always journal my pages by hand. There is nothing like your own writing right at that moment!!

21. Martha

2009-08-29 02:28:48 -0700

I have forced myself to do handwritten journaling...but I really don't like my handwritting...at least its down on paper and saved for others to read later.

22. Danielle

2009-09-01 09:46:21 -0700

I happened to find a old tiny notebook in a box of thread on wooden spools that my Mom gave to me. It was filled with quotes, observations, a couple addresses...I said something to my Mom about it and it turns out that it was my Grandma's (her handwriting had changed enough that I didn't quite recognise it at first...), from back before she married Grandpa.

23. Courtney

2009-09-03 04:51:45 -0700

Ali thanks for the inspiration... it started the wheels turning to make this: http://courtbaker.blogspot.com/2009/09/anatomy-of-scrapbook-page.html

24. saç ekimi

2009-09-06 20:51:59 -0700

An Overview of Hair Surgery
    Having experience of more than ten years in the field of hair transplantation saç ekimiand being an institution where more than 10,000 operations have been performed, we know that a successful operation does not have clearly set criteria saç ekimi. However, the success of the operation is largely dependent on the experience and expertise of the doctor, the choices of technical equipment and a well-organized team. We are well aware of the fact that there are certain disadvantages of some new techniques and applications which have been scientifically tested and approved. That is why we offer only the tested and the least risky solutions to our patients.
    What is a follicular unit?
    A follicular unit is a naturally occurring grouping of one, two, or three (and sometimes, four) hair follicles found in the skin. It is distinguishable only under a three-dimensional microscope.
    Where is the source of transplanted hair units and how are they obtained?
    In FUT method, the follicular units to be transplanted are extracted from the hairy scalp between the two ears in the shape of a thin strip. This method is called follicular unit transplantation. At Transmed, each follicular unit to be transplanted is dissected under the microscope with great care and is prepared for hair restoration. Each unit is a graft which is gets transplanted to its new place saç ekimi.
    In FUE technique, on the other hand, hair follicles are obtained one by one using special equipment. In principle, this technique is based on obtaining the hair follicles one by one which allows the extraction of body hairs to be transplanted to the scalp. The advantage of this technique is that it does not leave any scars where hairs are extracted from. The disadvantage is that it requires much more time than FUT technique to obtain the same number of grafts.
    In both FUT and FUE, grafts are placed on the scalp using the same technique.
    Where and how are grafts used and what is the maximum hair density that is supposed to be or that can be reached?
    In the preparation of the transfer channels, needles varying between 19-23 calibres and 0.016 mm width slit blades are used for lateral incisions, which all vary according to the area where the grafts are placed and the structure of the hair saç ekimi. Density is one of the most important topics in hair restoration and it has a relation with the highest growth rate. A successful hair restoration operation is possible only with a specialist doctor that can combine both of them. For the time being, we are able to transplant 40-90 follicular units (which make 150 hairs) per square centimeter depending on the donor area density.
    What are the medicines suggested for use after the operation in order to prevent hair shedding?
    Androgenetic hair loss is a constant process going on throughout people’s lifetimes. After a successful saç ekimi hair restoration operation, hair loss can be seen in the old ages only in the areas where there are the previously existing hairs of the patients, not the transplanted hair. We strongly recommend that our patients take Finasteride and / or Minoxidil in order to prevent hair loss.

25. Online Pharmacy

2009-09-22 20:47:36 -0700

Antibiotics are used for treatment or prevention of bacterial infection. Other classes of drugs, most notably the sulfonamides, may be effective antibacterials.