Anna At 11 Months : Scrapbook Layout & Glass Bead Gel Embellishments

IntroPhoto_AEAnna11months

Today I am telling a little story about Anna at 11 months.

This layout is a good example of combining a bunch of different techniques on one page: photo enlargement, hybrid scrapbooking (printing out some of my new twill strips from Designer Digitals and adhering them), playing with Golden Glass Bead Gel and UTEE to create my own heart embellishments. All this while telling a story about what's happening with Anna right now.

Here's a look at my process:

AE_screenshot
STEP ONE :
Re-size an image to 12 inches wide in Photoshop (300dpi). Change the canvas size to make it a few inches taller to accommodate the twill strips. Open, drag, and drop the twill strips onto the large canvas. When I can I like to get a couple things onto a page at one time before printing.

AE_printed
STEP TWO :
If you have an over-size printer you can print at home or upload to your favorite developer. Here at home I am using the HP Photosmart B8550 Inkjet Photo Printer
and the above image was printed on 13x19 photo paper from Office Max.

AE_trim
STEP THREE :
Trim your photo and twill strips and grab a 12x12 sheet of cardstock for your background. This cardstock will be completely covered so it doesn't matter what color you choose.

AE_Hearts
STEP FOUR :
After printing and trimming and cutting a strip of cream heart pattern paper I decided to play around with some of Tim's Grungeboard heart shapes (from the Elements package).

AE_paint

STEP FIVE : Paint all the hearts. I used Delta in Antique White.

AE_GlassBeadGel
STEP SIX :
After letting the paint dry I coated three of the hearts with Golden Glass Bead Gel. Above you can see an image of what it looks like inside the container - essentially it's a gel medium (basically an adhesive) mixed with tiny glass beads. I applied it liberally with a paint brush and let it dry.

AE_hearts2

On the other three medium sized hearts I used a small dot stamp and embossed with clear UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel).

AE_GlassBeadEmbellishments

STEP SEVEN : I printed my journaling onto the cream heart pattern paper and after all the hearts were dry and the beads were set (I let them sit overnight) I adhered them with foam dots.

Here's a look at the scanned image of the layout (scallop ribbon from American Crafts):

AE_anna11months_Low click to view larger

JOURNALING : January 10, 2010 : My dear sweet Anna girl, today you are 11 months old and man how we love you so! Here are some of the things you are doing right now: (1) Crawling super fast, especially when attempting to get into your brother’s bedroom and get your hands on his legos. You are definitely speedy but you also like to stop along the way to see if anyone is watching - this is also a very quick stop + look move. (2) When you aren’t crawling you are standing & cruising along furniture and grabbing at anything and everything. You seem especially fond of magazines, books and computer cords. (3) You got a fun push toy for Christmas and have been having a fun time walking with that around the living room and up and down the hallway. (4) Eating so many things! You pretty much eat what I eat and you drink from a sippy cup (but you definitely want my glass of water instead). (5) You have developed a fondness for a white stuffed cat and a little giraffe-blanket we call your snugglie. (6) You LOVE looking outside and going outside and always seem ready to venture out. (7) And the books. One of my favorite things is your interest in looking at, turning the pages, and being read to anytime. It’s so fun to watch your interests changing and growing and your personality developing. Love you.

1. Tineke Blokzijl-Haar

2010-01-12 17:39:03 -0600

I love this layout, Ali! What a great picture of your little girl. I think I might try to do a combination of digital and hands-on scrapping in the near future. Just to try it out. Although I don´t think the result will look anything like this. My pictures are not nearly as good as yours :-)

2. Irene

2010-01-12 17:42:21 -0600

What can I say. "SIMPLY" beautiful.
    Hugs, Irene xx

3. JustMeAgain

2010-01-13 00:42:59 -0600

Ali, your daughter is precious. I love your layout, too!

4. [email protected]

2010-01-13 02:11:53 -0600

what a cutie!

5. ScrapMomOf2

2010-01-13 02:57:57 -0600

She is SO beautiful! I must be feeling emotional today, because looking at this has made me think back and miss like crazy the time when my girls were this little! Such a precious time, and it goes by so quickly! Enjoy every little minute! Your page is amazing!

6. Emily

2010-01-13 03:07:47 -0600

This is why I love you style--so simple...I have always felt like I should include several photos for a months overview with the journaling.
    Emily :)

7. Callie Swank

2010-01-13 05:53:05 -0600

This is very nice, Ali. I always enjoy your photographs and the techniques shown here are inspiration for me to do some shopping for new mediums! Thanks for sharing.

8. cedwards

2010-01-13 06:16:21 -0600

Sweet layout! Just wondering if you will being doing anymore Tuesday Tutorials?

9. Jo

2010-01-13 08:13:55 -0600

Ali, I love that layout. The photo of Anna is beautiful; great angle and pretty colours. I really like full width photo layouts, something I wouldn't have thought about doing a while back, but now they are my favourite type of layout. You've given me the inspiration to go and make one straight away - thank you!

10. christina

2010-01-13 09:10:42 -0600

Totally am loving this!

11. Rona

2010-01-13 11:10:04 -0600

I love this layout. It's such a gorgeous picture of your daughter. Love the perspective. Beautiful layout, nice and simple, not detracting from the photo. Love it.

12. Mary Frnaces

2010-01-13 13:04:12 -0600

HBO movie - TEMPLE GRANDIN I think that is the name. True story about an autistic women, who has an extrodinary mind. Movie looks interesting - you should check it out

13. Tammy

2010-01-13 14:07:01 -0600

Anna is just the cutest little girl! Hard to believe it's been almost a year! And your layout is amazing.

14. sandy

2010-01-13 15:01:12 -0600

Thank you so much for letting us watch Anna grow. I think she'll be our first woman president!!!! She's got my vote already.

15. Kathleen D

2010-01-14 12:07:16 -0600

When you printed out the journaling, do you do a custom size on your printer or do you do a standard size? How do you not waste cardstock? Could you explain that part of your process? I really enjoyed seeing your hybrid workflow. I'm slowly but surely (since Y&T class) beginning to "get" doing hybrid. But it helps to see your examples of it.

16. Ali Edwards

2010-01-14 12:44:52 -0600

Hi Kathleen - I cut the pattern paper (the journaling is printed on pattern paper) before running it through the printer. In this case I cut it to about 5 inches tall x 12 wide. I run a test print on regular printer paper and then adhere the pattern paper onto the printer paper and run it through again.

17. Ali Edwards

2010-01-14 12:47:29 -0600

Hi Cheryl - I did lighten this photo just a bit because the color was not great :).

18. Ali Edwards

2010-01-14 12:49:46 -0600

Hi Ricka - on this one the twill is a font. I do use a Wacom Tablet for inputting my handwriting onto the computer.

19. Ali Edwards

2010-01-14 12:51:39 -0600

Hi Krista - I have not used any 12x12's yet. One of the things I have been trying to do is to add other elements onto the 13x19's before printing.

20. NICOLE

2010-01-18 01:06:49 -0600

I love this :) She is adorable! I can't wait until Little Edward comes next month!!!My very first baby. My hubby and I have waited a long time for this!

21. dawn

2010-01-18 09:57:17 -0600

Hello,
    I've always wanted to email you but I don't know much about the computer,even my husband wasn't sure. We worked on it yesterday though and I think I've got it. I've been reading your blog for over a year and love your style of scrapbooking so clean and simple. Your family is beautiful, love hearing aobut Simon who is like my son Sam and my daughters & I love watching Anna growing up. My one daughter will be 13 the day before Anna turns one. Time sure does go by fast. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos and especially all your ideas.

22. dawn

2010-01-18 09:58:53 -0600

Ok it's Dawn again, just had to say yes it worked. It may seem like nothing to other people but this has been bothering me for a year. Just had to express my happiness when I see your work. I will be posting more often now that I know how too. Have a good week.

23. Ali Edwards

2010-01-18 13:54:16 -0600

Hi Dawn - welcome to the world of commenting and thank you for the kind words above :).

24. Susan

2010-01-18 22:39:54 -0600

this is darling! Anna is beautiful! I love the glass bead gel. I was wondering do you upload via the internet to Office Max or do you just save to a disk? Your home printer, does that print a 12 x 12 page? I'm thinking I may get one at some point. Thank you! Have a wonderful day!

25. Jo

2010-01-25 07:39:57 -0600

Hi Ali. I loved your layout so much that I took the inspiration and made my own version in a 8.5 x 11 using a lovely photo of myself and my two young sons. I love the finished layout, it currently sits on display in our kitchen. Thanks Ali. (You can see it on my blog; http://halfacupofcoffee.typepad.co.uk/half_a_cup_of_coffee/2010/01/inspiration-and-order.html )