Week In The Life : Tuesday

Hey there, how's it going?

Yesterday I took 128 photos (on Monday I took 92). Will I use them all? NO WAY. Many of them are repeats or different angles or blurry or trial images of the same subject. Next week, when I put the album together, I will go through each day and select the ones that best tell the story.

Any photos that don't make it into the album may be used to tell other stories in my regular scrapbooks. Maybe. And maybe not. One of the beautiful things about this project is that the photos themselves bring up other stories you may have been wanting to tell or you'll find things that are important to you that hold stories that you should tell.

I would love for you to share links to your favorite photo taken so far in the comments section. If you don't have a link you can just describe the shot and tell why you love it. There is magic in this process of capturing your everyday life.

I also wanted to re-post another of my favorite quotes about everyday life. This one's from Anna Quindlen:

..but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while
doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly
clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There
is one picture of the three on them sitting in the grass on a quilt in
the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I
wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how
they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I
had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath,
book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the
getting it done a little less.

I hope you have a great day today and I hope you roll with this process. Maybe you will write more or less today or maybe you will take a 100 photos or just a few - whatever you collect is just right and will give a peek into your daily life in April 2010.

Enjoy your Wednesday.

Here's a look at some of my favorite photos from Tuesday:

IMG_0375

IMG_0447

IMG_0457

IMG_0471

IMG_0473

IMG_0486

IMG_0518

My journaling today was handwritten on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. I jotted down times & activities throughout the day. I'll post it next week when I show how I put my album together. I'm thinking I might just slip it into a page protector as a new page for Tuesday...

Dottedline

Click
here
for a complete list of Week In The Life posts & don't
forget to leave your comment for the
REALLY BIG
GIVEAWAY

view more comments
25 of 158
  1. JenRay

2010-04-21 16:02:55 -0400

My favorite picture so far is one of me playing on the floor with my 5-month old son. I am smiling at him, and he is reaching up touching my cheek with his hand. There just aren't many photos of me, or me with my kids because no one thinks to take them, and mostly, I am home with them alone all day. I am loving the wireless remote and all the moments I am capturing with it. Need to do it more often.
    I got a series of shots of my 3-year-old daughter and me making my grandmother's oatmeal pancake recipe. We do it all the time, but no photos before. That is a whole LO coming. Also, my mom cans tuna and pickles. I had tuna melts for lunch today, using them. Took pictures, and will have to do a LO about how grocery store tuna tastes like sawdust in comparison - I love that home-canned stuff so much! Never would have thought to take pictures before, but these are meaningful stories to tell beyond documenting my week. LOVE this! Thanks Ali!

2. Gen

2010-04-21 16:19:43 -0400

Hi Ali,
    Looks like you had a wonderful day! I am so happy to be doing this project! My kids are even excited to be involved. They help me out with the pictures. I love it! Thanks for all your creative ideas.

3. summer

2010-04-21 16:20:48 -0400

oh my goodness that first picture of Anna- she and Simon make me want babies! just want to tell you I am always so taken by the obvious joy, happiness, and love in your family- it is evident in your photos, your journaling, and what you do with your everyday.

4. Cherie

2010-04-21 16:23:04 -0400

Enjoying the process! Here's a fav.

5. Sarah

2010-04-21 16:23:11 -0400

Ali thanks so much for inspiration to really take notice in my day. And thanks for the generous way you share your home and your family in your photographs. Thank you.

6. Jamie V

2010-04-21 16:27:11 -0400

My photos aren't uploaded yet... but my favorite photo so far was early evening, just before we started bedtime routine on Monday, and my hubby gave in and went on the trampoline with the kids... I have a wonderful shot of him catching our littlest after a double bounce. It's def. not a 'technically perfect' photo, but it's all I need to remember that moment.

7. Deb

2010-04-21 16:37:22 -0400

One of the funniest photos that really did not turn out like I wanted was my cat laying between me and my book while I was studying. It was sweet at first but got old as she wouldn't move when I needed her to. This is something new she is doing. :)

8. Jen Demmon

2010-04-21 16:39:24 -0400

Ali - thanks so much for doing this again. I wasn't going to participate this year because life isn't normal right now I am five weeks out from major surgery and am home on disability but then I decided that it would be interesting to remember this recovery days and the temporary normal. My favorite shot is of my dogs hanging out on the bed with me. It is definetly the essence of my temporary normal.
    thanks Jen

9. LunaIndie

2010-04-21 16:55:56 -0400

Ali, you're such an inspiration. I was lucky enough to be in your CKA album track in 2005. This will be my 2nd time doing "A week in the life." I was wondering what kind of camera you use and on what settings to get your shots that are focused only on one point, and the rest is blurred?? I have tried to get this affect on my point and shoot, using different settings but just cant do it. thanks 8)LunaIndie

10. ana smith

2010-04-21 17:10:11 -0400

I would love to scrap a week of my life.....but nothing interesting happens in my life.....just everyday stuff.

11. Melissa Darnall

2010-04-21 17:43:35 -0400

Ali ... this is my 1st year of doing this project and love it so far.
    But ... your photos look so natural up above. Do you ever feel "fake" by taking these photos? I have a 10sec timer on my camera, and I find myself running to "get in position" for my current activity. Do you have a much longer timer or a remote?
    I'm pretty sure this is a normal feeling for a newbie like me ... right???
    signed ... and woman that loves ellipsis :)

12. Mellie J

2010-04-21 18:31:16 -0400

I feel like I'm missing out!! :-( Started back to full-time work as a teacher this year and I just can't fit the "week" in at the moment. Totally inspired by your photos Ali and will have to fit my "week" in later in the year. Keep sharing 'cos I keep enjoying your ideas.
    Thanks heaps - Mellie

13. linda

2010-04-21 19:45:17 -0400

Wow...lovely photos...it's pretty amazing how many you end up with at the end of the day! I've been collaging mine up since I'm making a mini-book, but my favorite photos are the blurry sort of off frame ones...because they are taken at a whim and probably capture what's really going on...us in our PJs and laughing madly... http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindatieu/4538429463/

14. Gemia Carroll

2010-04-21 19:47:46 -0400

My life, as of late, requires accountability so I told my mom I would post everyday a rundown of my process in this. I made it simple by using the same categories for each day; Today’s Words, Routine of the Day, Favorite conversation of the day, best moment, worst moment, today’s object of affection. I am really enjoying it. Can’t wait to make my album. I have been putting my favorite pictures of the day in the list where they fit. I would love to know if you really read all these and check them out. You are very inspiring, thank you. http://gmcclan.blogspot.com/

15. Christina

2010-04-21 22:22:50 -0400

does Ali understand Spanish??

16. nichole duenke

2010-04-22 00:26:09 -0400

Hi Ali!
    Just wanted to say thank you for all the continued inspiration & for your wonderful ideas regarding this project! I love peeking at your thought process. I started this great project on Sunday & can't believe I'm sticking with it! I even have my husband taking shots sometimes & love that he's getting involved too!
    Living life-what could be better? :)

17. Kim Schofield

2010-04-22 02:05:45 -0400

This is the first time I've attempted a project like this (I'm a card maker...don't really scrapbook at all) and I'm so excited! I'm trying to not get overwhelmed by the process and just keep it simple! Here's a post with my fav photos, the one at the top is my all time favorite, from the past few days. Thanks for walking us through the process!!

18. Jen D

2010-04-22 02:55:54 -0400

Ali- I can't thank you enough for this project. I am loving it. I will be ending my maternity leave next week and going back to work, so for me it's been such a wonderful way to document this special time with my girls.
    Here are two of my favorite shots so far:
    Thanks again!

19. Ali Edwards

2010-04-22 09:45:40 -0400

Totally. I don't feel fake because it's still what I/we are doing at the time. I do run back and get in my spot...and I think you do get used to it after awhile. And if this is what it takes to make sure I'm represented in our story I'm cool with that :).

20. Ali Edwards

2010-04-22 09:46:13 -0400

The everyday stuff is the interesting stuff :).

21. Pat Rex

2010-04-22 10:36:38 -0400

Check out how cool I was getting a ticket

22. AnyaL

2010-04-22 15:11:00 -0400

My favorite photo is on by blog (last post) It's the only one there right now. I love how it captures the connection between siblings. You can see it here - http://specialmoments2me.blogspot.com/
    Love seing your pictures. They remind me of all the stuff I never thought of capturing, but which are essential part of our lifes.

23. Beth Holmes

2010-04-23 11:13:21 -0400

Here's my favorite photo from today.
    I was resting while gardening, with my dog on my lap and just held the photo up above us and took random photos.
    Thanks for all the inspiration Ali! And for reminding us how sacred the everyday is!
    ~Beth

24. sally griswold

2010-04-26 16:59:25 -0400

HI Ali!
    I know you've probably answered this a BaZillion times, lol, but how do you get the shots with you in them? btw, I can totally relate with your post about balancing being a work at home mom. I also work in the scrap industry (product designer) and have a busy husband (a pastor) so I know the ups and downs of these things ;-) thanks for sharing your life with us!

25. llevisy

2010-05-02 16:07:21 -0400

I am enjoying putting my week together!