On My Desk

Love

On my desk right now is this little minibook.

It's one of those projects-in-progress. It's actually been sitting on my table for at least a month and has already lived a variety of lives. When I first started it I thought it would be a minibook about siblings.
It's current incarnation is as a minibook celebrating "love" in general, and more specifically a bit about the love I'm feeling for my family right now.

The pattern papers are adhered. All but one of the photos have been placed. The accent word-art tags have been printed and adhered. A few other embellishments are in place.

What's missing are the words.

More and more these days I don't want to make something unless I feel like it's meaningful. We each have our own definition of what's meaningful in our scrapbooks and paper crafting projects. I want the words I add to be of substance, to say something beyond "I love you." I'm finding myself waiting for the "right" words rather than just getting some simple words of love written down and adhered.

The less I scrapbook, the more I feel this way.

I think for this book I am going to write sentences for each person that begin with the phrase "I love you today because..." I want to capture the current things I love about each one of them: the quirks, the silly phrases, the inside jokes, the way they are approaching challenges, the foods they can't get enough of, their most immediate joys.

I want to say "I love you" in a more specific way; in a way that captures a bit of what I am loving about them right now.

I love having a path forward. Back to work.

Dottedline

The album I'm using for this project is a Pink Paislee 4x8 Natural Artisan Canvas Album and is available at both Two Peas and
Scrapbook.com.
Butterfly rub on is from Jenni Bowlin. Word art designed by me can be purchased through Designer Digitals.

1. Michele H.

2010-07-14 00:27:14 +1000

Beautiful cover! I can't wait to see the rest.
    I've been feeling this way too. I'm finding that i'm loving my photos more and more on their own with a few accents that compliment them.

2. Dori

2010-07-14 00:57:55 +1000

My 9-year-old granddaughter stayed with us for a week last month (between the end of the school year and the start of her summer camp) and I have a ton of photos that I want to turn into a special gift album for her mom. I've been really stumped about how to describe each photo to let her mom know just how precious our time together was - until I read your post today. All of the photos are sorted by date and I will begin each sentence with "I love you today because". How perfect for my album! Ali, it's times like these I feel like I should be sending you a tuition check, ha! Thank you so much for always providing the loving inspiration I need. And welcome home!

3. Lisa

2010-07-14 01:29:51 +1000

I couldn't agree more, Ali. Time is so precious. The more I appreciate this, the more selective I have become in choosing what to document, which stories to tell, and which projects to undertake. Thanks for sharing!

4. Miriam

2010-07-14 02:51:05 +1000

I'm so with you there Ali about making journalling more meaningful, its what I want to aim for too.
    xMiriam

5. Amy

2010-07-14 03:48:26 +1000

LOVE the look of this. Makes me want to create one right now but with three small children I can't seem to find the time. I will have to store the idea for later. Thanks so much for the creative ideas you share. Love your work so much.

6. dawn

2010-07-14 03:58:29 +1000

That's great I know you may not use them all but I can't wait to see what you do with the ones you keep.

7. dawn

2010-07-14 04:01:10 +1000

Hi Keri,
    Couldn't help but notice your comment about your son. We are going thru the same here with our son. It's hard being on summer break and home with his older sisters. The fun of summer is already getting bored for them and now their is daily bickering going on and they all want to do different things at different times. I need this book to help remind me of the rare but special times they are getting along. Good luck with your son and have a happy summer.

8. cat123

2010-07-14 08:42:02 +1000

I love this idea and this so lovely, lovely book !!!! so sweet !!!

9. June W

2010-07-14 10:43:32 +1000

I have lots of pages done with photos and embellishments but no words. I sometimes get stuck trying to tell the story. I like the idea of it being more a life journal more than just journaling to get the pages done. Thank you for your blog...I so enjoy stopping by each day.

10. Be(e)

2010-07-14 14:13:50 +1000

Oh my, Ali!!! This looks wonderful! This appeals to me in it's simplicity, it's colors and it's theme! Can't wait to see more of it! :)

11. Amanda

2010-07-14 19:50:29 +1000

What a great project, thank you, as always, for sharing! The free download is great, I am going to print it out and use it this week and make a project from that.

12. Wendy T

2010-07-14 20:20:30 +1000

This is just a beautiful project. Thank you for sharing your completed project and the free templates!

13. Wendy T

2010-07-14 20:20:30 +1000

14. Wendy T

2010-07-14 20:20:30 +1000

15. Wendy T

2010-07-14 20:20:30 +1000

16. Lacey

2010-07-14 21:21:08 +1000

Hi Ali- :)
    Just wondering about how you printed out your photo sizes? Did you create a new canvas (8x10?) and moved (2) 4x8's cropped sizes onto the canvas, printing the 2 images at the same time? I'm doing an album featuring all of our trips to our college football games, and using the WRMK's photo sleeves...making special sizes are def. costly! LOL but, I try to make a few images fit onto one size.
    ps-meeting you and taking your class at Bliss has definately changed the way I want to scrapbook. I am still into the latest and greatest, and designing but there are alot of stories I want to tell, and your simple style of photos and words, have really inspired me...and taken the pressure off of me (that I put onto myself) to make my layouts trendy and cool. :) :) :)

17. patsy

2010-07-14 23:52:34 +1000

I went back over my old scrapbooks to attach stories to the pictures. My son who is 15 now loves to go through it and remember. he actually wants to bring his scrapbooks and show his classmates! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

18. Christina

2010-07-15 05:06:08 +1000

Wonderful book of love!!! You have changed the way I scrap. I am so glad I found you!!! My goal was to make more meaningful albums and then you came into my life!! sound corny I know but so true!!
    I have a question. Yesterday I tried using one of your handrawn story journal blocks on a photo. Just like you did on a 3 photos of Anna that you share with us. You added "today you" directly on the photo and then did your journalling. But I don't know how to get a white background. I have the png file on the photo but the background it transparent. How do I change it to white so I can write on it and it will be legiable.
    thanks again.

19. Lori

2010-07-15 05:42:44 +1000

the yellow is so cheery. what a great mini album. as always - love it!

20. Lisa

2010-07-15 16:31:25 +1000

Oh my that is gorgous...I have always had a heart for mini books. They are simple and just quick and you can use little cute embellishments to decorate. AND of course your work is always my inspiration Ali...you do have a beautiful talent for this thing we call scrapbooking. Today I need to take some time to actually do some scrapbooking.

21. Julie

2010-07-15 17:15:47 +1000

Hi Ali,
    I've been trying to find a contact form somewhere on your site, but with no luck.
    Anyway, I downloaded CK Alis Hand Official and when I use it in my Word program (I'm on a Mac), The tops and bottoms of many of the letters are cut off. Any suggestions or help you might be able to offer?
    Thanks very much,
    Julie
    julierallen at me dot com

22. Ali Edwards

2010-07-15 18:03:45 +1000

Hi Lacey - I just cropped the photo to 8x4 and then printed it on an 8.5x11. I could have fit two on one sheet but I didn't work on it all at the same time. Loved seeing you Lacey :).

23. Ali Edwards

2010-07-15 18:11:54 +1000

Hi Christina. Use the "rectangle tool" to draw a white block behind the overlay.

24. Ali Edwards

2010-07-15 18:13:01 +1000

Hmmm, not sure why that would be happening. It's possible that your text box is too small vs. the size you are wanting to have the text (so the text box is cutting off the tops + bottoms of the letters). Have you tried using the font in another program?

25. cheap jersey

2012-11-07 19:24:47 +1000

This minibook is quite suitable for the office lady or some artists. The texture of the cover make me feel comfortable. Anyway, I love it.