Go Anna Go | Hybrid Scrapbook Layout + Video Tutorial

Go big. That's what I wanted to do when I saw this photo of Anna.

Go big with the photo and go big with the pattern paper.

I've done a few layouts in the past that incorporate full page photos like this one and this one. I love the look. I'm especially inspired by the way Laura Kurz does this (see more of her work: Two Peas | Studio Calico) and the way Karen Russell used to do it when she was scrapbooking more often.

For this photo + story I decided to create a layout that also left much of the pattern paper just as it is...lovely all on it's own. This is a great idea for those of you who buy pattern paper but never use it because you think it's too pretty.

TIP | Use that pretty paper. They will make more!

Here's a look at my process for putting together this two-page layout:

(1) Begin with one full page 8.5x11 printed photo + one 8.5x11 sheet of pattern paper (I cut this down from 12x12). Here at home I'm using a HP Photosmart B8550 Inkjet Photo Printer that has the capability of printing borderless 8.5x11. It's a nice option for this sort of project.

(2.) To tell your story, use one of my Oval Journal Tags or a similar product you may already have in your stash (or just cut an oval from a piece of cardstock and hand-write your story). Here's the details on using the oval journal tags in Photoshop (read on for the video tutorial):

1. Open the oval .png file of your choice from the Bread + Butter Elements: Oval Journal Tags folder.
  2. Using the T tool, type your story. To add some interest mix script + serif fonts and recolor the script words. I used Wendy LP Medium for the script and MrsEaves for the serif (serif simply means a font with little "feet" at the ends of each letter).
  3. Use the eyedropper tool to "grab" the same red color as is used in the oval journal tag. Use that same red to recolor the script font words.

4. Option: Recolor background area to make cutting easier. This is really an optional step. I ended up liking having the gray around the outside of the oval on my layout. To do this I created
  5. Print on white cardstock.

Oval Journal Tags available at Designer Digitals.

Here's a video tutorial that shows my process for typing my journaling on the oval in Photoshop Elements:

Ali Edwards' Oval Journal Tag Tutorial from Ali Edwards on Vimeo.

(3.) Cut oval from white cardstock. I did a quick cut here - it's far from perfect and I like it that way.

(4.) Adhere the journaling oval about 2/3 of the way down the page (add a little initial card behind the oval - this one is from my random stash of stuff so unfortunately I don't have a source for more). Trim off excess from the oval journal that goes over the edge of the pattern paper or have it overlap onto your full page photo.

(5.) Attach the Basic Grey Wander Collection Stitched Brads. Sometimes with these fabric brads I remove the back rather than sticking it through the page. It often depends on how many layers the brad will need to go through. In this case I wanted to use glue dots instead so I could stick the mini-safety pin under the fabric brad (sticks with the help of the glue dot).

Brad-backing removed with pliers. Glue dot adhered.

(6.) Mini staples and mini-safety pin added.

(7.) Celebrate another story told!

THE STORY | It’s what you do. Here, there, and everywhere. Especially on the front porch. You run from one end to the other and back again. With glee. I love seeing the smile on your face and the intention in your eyes. Speed and laughter are your friends. I also love that you want to make sure one of “your” people is always watching. It’s seems to be even sweeter with an audience. On this particular day we just had a visit from Grandpa, Grandma, Auntie Jessie & Gabrielle. You were even more excited to have an audience than usual. Keep on going sweet little girl. We love it.

SUPPLIES | Pattern Paper: Jenni Bowlin Snack Time; Oval Journal Tags: AE Bread + Butter Elements Oval Journal Tags; Fabric Brads: Basic Grey Wander Collection Stitched Brads; A Card: Vintage; Mini Stapler: Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher; Mini Safety-Pin: Tim Holtz Mini Pins

1. Alexandra

2010-09-08 17:48:41 -0500

can't tell you how much I love it when you show us how it all comes together - so, so cool and so helpful - especially for those of us who are a little timid about the process and not so confident in our abilities.
    thank you!

2. Amy Freeman

2010-09-08 17:51:35 -0500

Wow, super simple and still super lovely.

I also appreciate the paper tip. I am bad about buying pretty paper and never using it.

Question:

Can you order prints that are 8 1/2 x 11 or would you have to go 8 x 12 and cut it down?

Thanks, Ali!

3. Sonja Chandler

2010-09-08 18:35:12 -0500

Thank you for this! I so, so, so want to start doing more "real" hybrid scraping. How I do it now I don't truly believe could be considered real hybrid scraping. (I use windows) EEK!

4. molly

2010-09-08 18:40:19 -0500

so cute. I want to make something - NOW. I love using digital templates to make paper goods. so practical for the cost to use over and over again.

5. Christina

2010-09-08 18:46:16 -0500

oh wow!!! I took photos of my grandson with his spiderman outfit on yesterday. He wore it all day and I have so much to say about it. I will use the best photo as you did. I now know what to do with it. Thanks so much for your inspiration. Love love love it.

6. dawn

2010-09-08 19:19:43 -0500

I love everything about this. I love your porch so big and plenty of room to run off that energy she has. Thank you for showing us your process it really helps and you make it so simple. The paper is beautiful and should be used and not kept on the shelf, I have to remember that too. She is a sweetie.

Where do you buy her clothes they always seem so unlike the clothes at the mall or walmart. They seem like doll clothes but for her size??? They are so pretty.

7. Lori

2010-09-08 20:38:39 -0500

So cute - thanks for the step by step. I love the enlarged picture - i love it when i do these and need to do them more often :)

8. debbie mcintyre

2010-09-08 22:00:46 -0500

What a sweet photo. Love Anna's curled toes.

9. cinback

2010-09-08 22:12:19 -0500

I love how she curls her toes under! My sister used to curl her toes under like that...and then walk on them!

10. katie

2010-09-08 22:12:47 -0500

BEAUTIFUL. As always. I love the tip. " | Use that pretty paper. They will make more!" I am going to post that in my studioffice because I need a constant reminder that I have it.

11. slmnontec

2010-09-09 07:04:24 -0500

My girl is a young woman now and is still very active. I used to feature pretty paper on layouts thinking they were better than the photos I had to deal with. But you've help me see the value in every image! I tell so many more stories now. I use $1.49 8x12 elargements from Costo and cut them narrow or square or whatever. I love feeling like I'm "right in the event". Thanks for sharing.

12. Tacha

2010-09-09 07:38:16 -0500

Waoow, What a superb layout, so Clean & Simple !!
    many thanks for the explanations, and the journal tags !!! extra
    Merci

13. Kara

2010-09-09 08:42:34 -0500

Wow! Love this page.

14. Danielle Johnson

2010-09-09 09:14:01 -0500

Question: If you are wanting to do an 8.5 X 11 picture but have to have it printed by a store...how do you do it? I try to do it, but it seems that you have to choose a standard size like 5 x7 or 8x 10. I really want to do pictures for the mini book that you did..I love you because, but again do not know how to get the pictures printed to that size.

Thanks
    Danielle

15. ale

2010-09-09 10:08:58 -0500

you're such an amazing storyteller, ali! and this layout is so, so beautiful. thank you for reminding us to use our pretty paper, and for sharing your creative process.

16. Teresa

2010-09-09 10:13:41 -0500

Hi Ali,
    you surprise me every time. Just a picture a journaling card and 2 (!) embellishments. Incredible. Like my art teacher used to say: Less is more...she is so right.
    Beautiful.

17. sarah

2010-09-09 15:13:36 -0500

i love the enlarged photo - i always forget to do that, thanks for the reminder! also, if you're curious, the vintage alphabet card looks like it's from a game called "probe" that (i think) is from the 60's. i occasionally sell them in my etsy shop, and it looks just like them.

thanks for the continued inspiration!

18. Katy

2010-09-09 16:30:29 -0500

I've been a fan of Laura Kurz's stuff for awhile - her style and yours (oh, and Becky Higgins) emphasize what I think is more important: pictures and words. I love any examples that reinforce that for me - it's so timeless, classic, and easy to look at it. That's what I want my scrapbooks to look like.

That's why I keep coming back here all the time!

19. Judy Webb

2010-09-09 17:07:24 -0500

I am working very hard at accepting the less than perfect cut. Your advice always soothes me. Thanks for tutoring us.

20. rani

2010-09-09 22:36:31 -0500

Love the step by step with this! I've been wanting to try hybrid, but just needed a little push....and this was it!!!! Thank you!

21. Video Tutorial: Hybrid Scrapbooking · Scrapbooking @ CraftGossip

2010-09-10 06:01:39 -0500

[...] tutorial, Ali Edwards shows how she created a journaling tag for her layout using digital elements. Click here to go to tutorial. You may also [...]

22. Pam K

2010-09-10 14:41:27 -0500

Oh my. Those little scrunched toes and the way she is holding her hand - how adorable!

23. Sheri

2010-09-10 18:56:08 -0500

thanks for the great tutorial.

24. Jennifer

2010-09-12 19:30:52 -0500

My 16-month old twins love running back and forth, laughing and yelling. It is so much fun for them!

25. Carolin Ruwe

2010-09-13 13:21:08 -0500

Hi Ali,
    This layout is lovely. Your daughter is so cute! :o)
    Thanks for the video. I always learn a lot watching tutorials. I have one question about the journaling and the fonts you used for it. I love the idea of mixing different fonts. In the video I saw that you resized the Wendy font to a larger size because it was very tiny at the beginning. How do you keep the space between the lines of text even? When I resize single words in a text, the space of the line with these words changes as well. When I change it back, parts of the enlarged word gets cut off at the top or bottom. I have no idea how to fix that... Please excuse my clumsy English - I hope you can understand what I wanted to say ;)
    Thanks Ali!