December Daily 2010 | Ideas For Using The 6x8 Layered Templates (+ Video Walk-Through & Tutorial)

First off I wanted to say thank you to those of you that requested these 6x8 layered templates. After playing with them today in preparation for this post I can definitely see them coming in very-handy for my album.

Today's post includes two videos. This first is a walk-through of the ways I plan to use these 6x8 layered templates and the second is step-by-step instruction in Photoshop Elements.

Let's start with a little walk-through video:

Ali Edwards | December Daily 6x8 Template Walk-Through from Ali Edwards on Vimeo.

And here's a video that walks you through using the templates in Photoshop Elements:

Ali Edwards | 6x8 December Daily Layered Template Tutorial from Ali Edwards on Vimeo.

Here's a look at the ideas I covered in the above videos:

IDEA #1. Use as an overlay on a full page photo.

Inside the layered template package there are two pages that are designed specifically to use for full-page photos. Any of the others could also be used by hiding/removing the image boxes (the yellow photo boxes).

Here's what this one looks like after printing and cropping from the 8.5x11 sheet of photo paper:

And as a spread with the 2010 date overlays:

The page with the #2/right-hand side of the spread might include:

• another photo or more than one photo

• handwritten journaling

• journaling from my typewriter

• something that came in the mail or other little pieces of paper from the day

• a photo with journaling

IDEA #2. Print the photos on photo paper + print the frame on cardstock.

Use the layered template to just print photos. Mask your photos (command G on a Mac or control G on a PC) into each of the squares and print on photo-paper (turn off the overlay layer before printing by clicking on the "eye" next to the layer in the layers palette).

Turn the overlay layer back on (and turn off your photo layers) and print on cardstock. Crop images from photo paper and adhere onto cardstock background.

Here's what this one looks like after cropping and before adhering the photos on the cardstock:

This is a really great option if you want to add more dimension to your album. Use foam dots under the photos to have them stick up off the page. There's lots of possibilities with this option. The best part is that the basic design is already decided allowing you to focus more on the images and the story.

Here's what it looks like as part of a spread with the transparent page in-between:

IDEA #3. Print the frame and photos on photo paper.

The super quick and simple option is to just mask your photos and print on photo paper. Add other digital elements or not. Add traditional embellishments after printing or not.

Here's what it looks like after being cropped from the 8.5x11 photo paper:

And a look at this one in the spread:

Want more information or additional video tutorials on digital and hybrid scrapbooking? Click here to access my Getting Started With Digital Scrapbooking tutorials.

ADDITIONAL SUPPLY INFORMATION
Photo Paper | Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl 8 1/2 x 11
Printer is a | HP Photosmart B8550
Trimmer | Fiskars Desktop Rotary Trimmer

If you've got any questions about this process let me know in the comments. I hope you're getting excited!

For more on December Daily go here.

1. Helen Carter

2010-11-23 20:56:51 -0600

Ali, you mentioned briefly what brand photo paper you use, could you mention it again in more detail. thanks...loving DD! Thanks.

2. Radish

2010-11-23 23:14:01 -0600

I think I have to do this digitally because I will not have a printer where I will be and will have to print when I get home after my holiday. What I want to know is do you have any idea as to how to photography to make a meaningful, but semi artistic theme. A lot of my effort will be going in to the photography, but I do not have that much back ground about maying a group of photos cohesive. For example: I could shoot one day and black and white, and others with a Helga type print. Do you have links or examples of the way to photograph when you have a whole album in mind.

3. Robyn jenkins

2010-11-24 16:39:27 -0600

Looking over black Friday sale ads and wondering what your thoughts are on the cravat machines. Thanks to your tutorials I have a basic grasp of Photoshop elements and am planning to use the 6x8 layered templates in my dec daily. Just wanted your take on the cuttter. Do you have one? Use a lot? Appreciate your viewpoint. Thanks

4. Elizabeth

2010-11-24 16:52:35 -0600

I love the digital goodies, though I've never experimented with it. i don't have Photoshop yet, though I'm planning on getting it soon. I am wondering if I would have the ability to change/switch around the 6x8 overlay colors of the number and day of the week? I would love to make a book with a similar concept for our trip to Disney in January, and want to make a 6x8 book "Disney Daily" for it :) (I have my December Daily ready to go, and may incorporate some of the digital elements in it yet!) Thanks!

5. Jen Demmon

2010-11-24 19:53:02 -0600

Ali - great tutorial; I learned more in 15 minutes than I did at work today! I can't wait for Dec 1st!!!

6. Anastasia

2010-11-25 08:59:57 -0600

Do you by any chance know:
    1. how heavy the Bazzil card stock is? I've ordered the cream criss cross paper but can't find anywhere info on how heavy it is, and my printer can only deal with 160mg max...

2. Oh, and another "paper-questions" - My printer only can print max A4 sized paper (which is OK as the journal will only be an A5 size... would it work if I pre-cut the 12x12 paper into 6x8 parts before printing, or cut it into an A4 size...)

3.You are thinking of making two pages per day (I really like this idea and want to do it too) BUT:-) would you be printing the page on the left and then glue it together with the back side of the right side page from the previous day? Or do you know how to get a double-sided printing on a 6x8 paper (which is a non-standard size of paper for printers I think)

4. If, giving up on too complicated printing issues, I decide to just go with an A5 (in inches 8.3"x5.8") format - what would I need to change in the overlays and the photo templates to re-size them to fit the paper size? (I have PS Elements)

1 million thanks for taking your time reading through this message and even may be answering this long list of questions!!!

7. leslie

2010-11-25 23:48:33 -0600

Alie, I have to ask, where did you get your beautiful round wreath with the berries?

8. Amy

2010-11-27 06:33:51 -0600

Ali - Do you ever worry about the inks from the home printers? It seems you print much of your work at home. I've always had my photos and digital pages professionally printed because I've worried that printing at home will result in fading or less archival quality than professional printing. What are your thoughts on this?

9. Heather Johnson

2010-11-28 16:39:07 -0600

LOVE these tutorials, these are so helpful. Bought my templates and am getting SO excited for the month to begin. Such a fun time of year:)

10. Tiffany

2010-11-28 16:51:53 -0600

This is my first December Daily project and I'm really looking forward to it! I did the WITL project in May and LOVELOVELOVE it!! I've got a question, and wasn't sure whether to comment on your latest post or back on the Q&A (since you've already answered!) Anyway...I'm wondering if you use page protectors over your photo pages to keep things like grommets and other memorabilia from scratching and abrasing the photos. My 'middle' pages are patterned paper instead of transparencies and some have scratchy glitter in the pattern. Thanks for all you do. You inspire!

11. Jen Demmoon

2010-11-28 23:38:58 -0600

I finally finished my foundation pages and posted them to 2Peas here http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/gallery/member/167146-jendem/1685857-dec-daily-part-1/

Ali - I'm really enjoying this and can't wait for Dec 1st.

thanks so much,
    Jen

12. Donna C

2010-11-29 00:15:42 -0600

Great vids!
    regarding the 6x8 template with numbers and days specific to 2010.......is there a layer to change the day so i can use it for other years? if not, do you have a suggestion for covering it up so it doesn't look cheesy??

i just realized after watching the videos that I only bought the set without the numbered templates! :)
    thanks ali!

13. Sandy

2010-11-29 01:36:07 -0600

Yes, I am getting excited and getting my book set up at least what I can do for now.
    Thank you for explaining about the templates I was not sure what we were to do with them, if they were to replace the overlays or put inside the overlays or what so now it makes sense to me.

14. Donna C

2010-11-29 14:25:48 -0600

Thanks Heather! I am a serious novice with digital as u can tell! Am i able to change the text as well?
    appreciate the help!:)

15. Lisa R

2010-11-30 15:17:37 -0600

Hi ALi,
    I have Photoshop CS5 that I mainly use for photo editing. I am familiar with the layers used in that, but I have never delved into digital scrapbooking. I watched the video you made and loved it, however, I was unable to figure out how to apply your instructions to regular photoshop. Would it be worthwhile for me to invest in ELements, too, or is there a tutorial that can show me how to do it in regular photoshop?

Thanks,
    Lisa

16. December Daily | Ali Edwards

2010-11-30 18:03:35 -0600

[...] Ideas For Using The 6×8 Layered Template Package (+ Video Walk-Through & Tutorial) [...]

17. Susi

2010-11-30 20:52:27 -0600

I am really loving the videos. When I first became interested in memory keeping years ago, I was too intimidated so I collected a few things here and there and bought magazines for a few years. I'm so glad that beginners and experts will all get something out of your videos. Thanks much.

18. Sharon E

2010-11-30 23:50:43 -0600

Hi Ali,
    This will be my first time doing a December daily. I am very excited!
    My question is, how do I get the 6x8 template from photoshop onto a 8.5x 11 paper for printing at a photo developer with out changing the original size?

19. Angela Norris

2010-12-03 15:04:10 -0600

I bought and downloaded the 6 by 8 templates and have watched the video but even with my husbands help we don't seem to be able to work out how to use them.I have photoshop elements 6 and when I go to edit I can't find any 'group with previous' and Control G has no effect. The photos won't fit the photoframe horizontally. Please could someone help!!
    Angela

20. Erika Bates

2010-12-05 23:35:16 -0600

Hi Ali,
    Thanks for the great vids and ideas! I've been using the templates a ton already but i'm having one problem. When I print them they are too big...not a ton, just a 1/2 inch or so, but i have to trim them down and i'm losing frame etc that way. The same thing has happened when I create a new blank at 5.5 x 6.25 to make a collage etc for the large box on the dated overlays...too big and cropping again causes me to lose part of the images. Am I doing something wrong when I print?

21. Roberta

2010-12-06 10:01:54 -0600

Hi Ali, First off thank you so much for your inspiration and guidance I have a few of your templates and would love to buy more. For some reason when I drag my photo to the template it goes behind and I can't remember what I need to do to bring it on top. Could you give me advice? Thank you for all that you do!
    Thanks,
    Roberta

22. December Daily 2010 | Day Thirteen | Ali Edwards

2010-12-14 05:00:53 -0600

[...] digital layered template set to create the first page. I followed the same set of steps as I did in this tutorial post (printing photos on photo paper and the frame layer on [...]

23. Heather M

2010-12-15 22:39:03 -0600

Hi Ali!

Ok...I KNOW I've seen you post it before, but for the life of me cannot find it tonight---What size are you printing photos/trimming papers for the numbered pages? Like for the advent calendar page...the whole page is 6x8 but what did you trim the calendar page to, to fit in the little squares? Like a 5.5 x 6 something or other?

Thanks a bunch! LOVE LOVE LOVE your album! This will be my first year making one and I've got tons of pics from December already, so putting them in the pages shouldn't be a problem...just sizing them right to fit! ;)

Happy Holidays!
    ~Heather

24. Natalie

2011-07-28 21:09:10 -0500

I am going to be using this for December 2011 and am really excited. Is there a hole punch that is designed for this 8" length page? How did you know where to punch the holes? Thanks!

25. Melissa Carroll

2013-11-26 14:00:35 -0600

Oooh! I know what I'll be watching while the bird is in the oven on Thanksgiving! Thanks for sahring.