December Daily 2010 | Q&A (the questions)

I know lots of you out there have started putting together your album foundations for December Daily. I'd like to try and answer any questions you might have at this point in the process (knowing that some of you haven't started yet and some may already have albums all put together). Feel free to leave questions here and I'll answer them in a new compilation post later this week.

For a full list of 2010 December Daily posts click here.

1. christen

2010-11-02 11:59:11 -0700

i am wondering about the size of photos to use for the baseball card page protectors. i have bought several different types in the past and haven't had luck printing out my photos to get them to fit. i usually have to crop them too much or mat them on cardstock. what size do you print them out at? thanks!

2. Sarah

2010-11-02 12:00:11 -0700

Any tips for keeping the albums durable, yet light enough for little ones to handle easily? My toddler loves photos, but I worry about failing adhesives and fragile papers.

3. Heather

2010-11-02 12:18:05 -0700

My question isn't so technical: Once your foundation is done, how do you cope with not being able to work on it anymore for the entire month of November? I am dying for December to get here so I can start taking pictures already!! LOL

4. Nicole

2010-11-03 03:49:28 -0700

Hi Ali, Thankyou for the opportunity to ask a few questions about the DD Album.

I'd welcome your thoughts/comments on:
    - Incorporating photos of your Children's Xmas crafts in the DD albums - and what do you do with the crafts after Xmas?
    - Documenting Xmas activities that occur prior to the start of December (we have our first Xmas Party next weekend!)
    - Documenting gifts given and received on Xmas day in the DD album

- Have you thought about going back and doing DD albums for years prior to starting the DD albums (2006?)? (I think that your digital templates would be great for this)
    - Also, what adhesive do you recommend for sticking photos back to back?
    Thanks in advance - N

5. Carrie

2010-11-03 05:38:49 -0700

How much of the foundation do you put together in advance, not knowing exactly what photos and what words you'll want to include for each day? I'm not exactly sure how much room to allow, especially since my pages are different sizes. Is there a set answer to this? Or do you just flex with the pages and do it as you go? I guess what I'm struggling the most about is assigning numbers to the pages, and then being in a dilemma when I have more/less to say than that day's page allows for.

6. Michelle M

2010-11-03 09:19:39 -0700

I am thinking about doing a Dec. daily album but I don't do something EVERY day in Dec. A lot of days are just very routine with work and school and not much happening to do with the holidays. I don't want to stress out about this project but want to have fun with it. Plus, I have a wide age range of kids (15, 12 & 4) and am not sure I will have enough to go into this album. Any suggestions?

7. Rhonda

2010-11-03 11:33:22 -0700

I would love to add charms to my binding but with the rings I'm kind of stumped. Do you have any suggestions on how to attach those oh-so-necessary do-dads?

8. Suzie Perrie

2010-11-03 11:55:48 -0700

Does your husband get involved in the December Daily process? If so, how? I am doing this to document my son's first Christmas and I want my husband involved too, but with him being gone 17 days out of the 25 I need some ideas on how to do this without focusing on the fact that he was gone.

9. Robyn

2010-11-03 13:08:34 -0700

Do you do anything to reinforce the holes in the paper/transp so they don't tear down the road? do you use just a regular hole punch? Ilove this! I love everything you do!!

10. kate

2010-11-03 14:36:07 -0700

I haven't read all the questions, but mine would be - how do you punch the pages evenly? When making a lot of minibooks - I have a problem punching. I can't get through more than a few at a time by hand and then it's hard to line up with the rest of the pages. Would you suggest drilling or something else? Thanks!

11. Jeanal

2010-11-03 20:36:56 -0700

Hi My question is I would prefer to use a album instead of the rings probably like a small 3 ring binder style so i can add or move pages easily. Do you have suggestion for one that would be thick enough to hold all the pages I'am thinking 8x8 for size.

12. hannahk

2010-11-04 04:50:56 -0700

Hi Ali, I've been reviewing my DD09 album and thinking about this year's version. I loved making the album and for each date page I faithfully recorded an event or task that happened on that day. But I am wondering about making it looser this year and not being so rigid on keeping it in date order. Maybe just fill in what ever comes to mind each day, be that an event that day or something I want to remember from another day or even year. So my question is:

How do you approach what to put on each page? Before Dec 1 arrives do you have a list of things you know you want to record and date in mind for each topic? Do you capture just things that happen on that day specifically or make a page from another memory and place it in any order?

Thanks, Hannah

13. KENDRA

2010-11-04 10:01:28 -0700

First off.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I have a question......You have already created the "foundation" for your December Daily project. Once December starts, do you print pictures as you go? Do you wait until January to print and assemble?

14. Mrs. b

2010-11-04 12:35:55 -0700

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day!

I am looking forward to start my first DD project ever, and have so far tried to collect papers and stuff to work on.
    A question regarding the overlay page - if I understood you correctly you will sometimes add photos/journaling on the already printed overlay/cardstock, and other times put the overlay on top of photo(s) and then print these. With the latter option - will you put the printed combined photo/overlay on top of cardstock, or just insert the photopaper "as is" into the book?
    If you insert the photopaper "as is" - what do you do with the back of the photopaper, will you add photos/journaling there as well? (I guess what I am asking is if it does work to add photopaper on the back of photopaper, as when comparing that of adding photopaper on the back of cardstock)

Thanks,
    Mrs. b

15. Angie Blom

2010-11-04 16:07:59 -0700

Happy Birthday Ali.
    This my third year doing the DD and I have my papers mostly done and still working on a cover. I am doing a 11X 6 album this year.. I am making my own album cover.. already made 2 of them but one is being published under another title so I made another and now my hubby says it looks to close to the one I am getting published so off to the drawing board again. I was really wanting a canvas feeling album. what do you suggest I bind it all with. Knowing that it is going to be larger that what I start out with.. should I just stick to the 3 rings or do you think I can bind it all and it would not fall apart?

16. katie t

2010-11-04 18:33:27 -0700

I am not sure if this has been commmented, answered on before... I like the 12 x 12 size therefore am doing 12 x 12 in sheet protectors, how would you incorporate transpercenies with using a sheet protector, I love the look of your albums, but I am not able to go without my sheet protectors. Any suggestions?

17. tinabobina99

2010-11-04 19:03:15 -0700

Ali, I found a great addition for the DD book: Little Yellow Bicycle #CD308 10 thing I love about Christmas, a library-card style pocket and 10 numbered slips of paper to record my loves. It's already got me thinking about choosing 10.

18. MomofFourChippets

2010-11-05 03:30:45 -0700

I f I choose to do all digital and size 12X12. Can I use a service like Shutterfly to assemble my product and do you have a 12X12 all digital completed I can see.

19. A Post About Scrapbooking « Bostinelos Family Blog

2010-11-05 13:21:45 -0700

[...] have been thinking about my December Daily and how I want to approach it this year.  Last year my album was much too small.  I am thinking [...]

* edited 08/11/14 06:14AM
  20. Trish Miles (Australia)

2010-11-06 03:38:15 -0700

Hi Ali,
    Just wondering what you use, or is the best way to cut the hambly transparencies especially the thick ones?
    This is my first year attempting the DD project and I cant wait to get started.

Thanks
    Trish

21. sheri

2010-11-06 17:39:54 -0700

Hi Ali,
    I think this question may have been asked....but how do I know where to punch the holes in the teresa collins Noel Covers?

thanks!
    Sheri

22. candy

2010-11-06 17:40:49 -0700

Hi Ali. I have a newbie sort of question for you. I picked up my Bazzill cardstock in my scrapbook store today but was wondering do you find it easier to print first, then cut to 6x8 or cut first then print? Also, do you think I will have a hard time with this project and putting it together if I elect NOT to use transparencies over each day? Thanks.

23. vicki

2010-11-07 04:47:09 -0800

hi ali,
    do you have to stick to exactly what you do in the december daily or can it be a bit more personalised?

thanks x

24. Robin P

2010-11-07 07:53:18 -0800

If you are using the digital overlays with a picture full page, do you print on photo paper and adhere to cardstock so you can use the back of this page? or do you get it printed somewhere else? Would you print out on photopaper and put in a page protector so you could just slide another paper or photo for the back side?

25. Sn*w « Simplytrece

2010-11-08 12:35:23 -0800

[...] In totally separate news, I found a new thing: #decdaily with Ali Edwards. You prep an album beforehand and then do a page a day in December. I think it would be more fun if there were kids around, but it will give me an opportunity to use up my Christmas scrapping pages. Here’s a link to the Q&A: http://aliedwards.com/2010/11/december-daily-2010-qa.html [...]