December Daily 2010 | Day Fifteen

Welcome to Day Fifteen!

I didn't feel like messing with any photos today so I went with a couple snowflakes and a letter.

The snowflakes were created following an idea presented in the December issue of Martha Stewart's magazine.

In the magazine they were made to be ornaments. I punched them using pages of a magazine and they're really too thin to be an ornament so I saved them to add in here.

It's a pretty simple process. Using Martha's Icelandic snowflake punch, punch seven snowflakes to make one larger snowflake. Adhere one tip on one snowflake to one tip on another snowflake to begin creating the larger one.

For the second page I typed up some wishes for my kids (see journaling below), hand-stitched a heart on the Starbucks cup holder, and adhered that to the top of the journaling.

I drew the heart lightly with a brown colored pencil before adding the red floss. I stitched the heart before adhering it onto the background cardstock.

Here's a close up on the hand-stitched heart:

JOURNALING : As I was thinking about what I wanted to write today, what story I wanted to tell, I started to think about life lessons and the things I wish for you in your lives. I love you both so, so much and hope to be around a very long time to watch you grow and discover all the amazing things there are to be wonderfully astonished by (in so many good ways) in this life. One of the biggest things I wish is that you take with you into your life as an adult the memory of a warm and loving home. A home where you were accepted just how you are; a home that welcomed mistakes and the opportunity to learn from them; a home that nurtured your interests and encouraged you to be successful in all sorts of non-traditional ways; a home that was safe and full of love. I wish & hope, when faced with the challenges of life, you find peace and strength in your heart. I wish for you that you both find a path that is just right for you and the knowledge that it’s ok to change your mind along the way. I wish partners in life for both of you who see you and love you for exactly who you are. I wish for you to see the world; to get out of your normal and experience new places and people. There might never seem like the “right” time - you’ve got to just make it happen. No matter what, I wish for you to remember that life is for living. For experiencing and moving and wondering and traveling and reading and learning and finding joy. And don’t forget the sunscreen.

SUPPLIES : Ali Edwards 2010 6×8 December Daily overlays; Bazzill White Swiss Dot Cardstock; Martha Stewart Icelandic snowflake punch; Fancy Pants Tradition Flocked Transparency; Jenni Bowlin Mini Bingo Cards Christmas

TODAY'S POST SPONSORED BY : Scrapbooks, Etc Magazine
A big thank you from me to Scrapbooks Etc. magazine for all their support of the 2010 December Daily!

SHARE A LINK TO YOUR DAY FIFTEEN

I’d love to have you include a link to your DAY FIFTEEN page here. Please link directly to your post or image on Flickr vs. your general blog link. Thank you! Also – don’t feel like you need to leave a comment!

1. Teresa M

2010-12-16 09:58:11 -0800

Thanks for the reminder that not every day needs a photo and to journal about anything. I keep thinking I need to write about what we do every day and boy does that get boring.

2. Amber

2010-12-16 11:14:57 -0800

Oh Ali how sweet! I totally love those snowflakes, and the handstitched heart... But the journaling, it's just so sweet. Those are all the things I wish for my daughter too and now I'm feeling the need to write then down somewhere!

3. Holly

2010-12-16 11:19:23 -0800

It was super nice to see that you did sew by hand the heart instead of the machine. I liked that option!
    Also with that same train of thought, if you have a snowflake punch you can get the same effect and or make your own by hand like we use to in school. :)

4. Jan

2010-12-16 12:22:26 -0800

Wow, Ali, can I just steal every single idea of yours from today? What a beautiful and beautifully heartfelt set of pages. :)

5. Julie L.

2010-12-16 12:31:36 -0800

Sigh, I wish my journaling came out like this. Written so well and clearly from the heart of a mother.

6. Brooke

2010-12-16 13:01:16 -0800

You have a wonderful way with words Ali.

I find some days words like this just can't come for me. How do you keep up that fabulous, heartfelt, perfectly written journaling day in day out during December?

7. Heather

2010-12-16 13:38:44 -0800

Replying to your twitter about Chris' stocking...

For my husband I usually put some Christmas candy in there, a new toothbrush (everyone gets one of those!), batteries, a Christmas ornament or a figurine for his desk at work - just some little thing if I happen to see one during the year I know he'll love, maybe a pair of novelty boxer shorts, handmade coupons for a night out at the movies or to hire pros to do the lawn a few times, gift cards to the bar he & his coworkers occasionally frequent. I know in my stocking he always tucks a paperback book from my favorite author.

Hope you get some good ideas! It's a hard stocking to fill!

8. Mo

2010-12-16 13:44:59 -0800

I love this idea! There were two days in the beginning of December where I worked ALL DAY and seriously forgot to take photos! Now I know what to do! Thanks Ali!

9. Steph

2010-12-16 14:06:09 -0800

Okay, I'll be the broken record...there are no words for yours. Beautiful!

I have good printer news: tried the new paper - pretty pleased with the results, but since I've now got way too many photos to print, I made an 8x12 canvas and tried Wal-mart again which I had abandoned a while back because I hadn't been happy.

Our local store has a new machine and wow is all I can say. They are a perfect size, so a little trim and my prints fit beautifully in my album! So thrilled.

I love the way you used your Starbucks cover. I actually had one leftover from last year and used it on Day 9, which was my "beverages of the season" story. Around here we are all about the holiday drinks - yummy seasonal flavors of Coffee mate (only time I buy the stuff), putting eggnog in my coffee, hot chocolate for the kiddos after they come inside, a photo of the most amazing new treat Caramel thing hubby and I had the other night. That day for me had a gold embossed handmade paper I had, but I had not adorned the Starbucks thingie - now I think I will stitch a gold star on it! Thanks for the continued awesome inspiration Ali!

10. Denise Laborde

2010-12-16 14:40:26 -0800

Wow Ali, my album bows down to your album. I really like how you keep things simple but vary from day to day. Today's page is so sweet.

11. Cindy Teater

2010-12-16 14:49:54 -0800

What a wonderful letter to your family. You and your family are very fortunate. So very nice.

12. Tara

2010-12-16 14:51:11 -0800

I've been focusing so much on photos AND stories that I haven't even thought to just do some journaling. Thanks for the inspiration!

13. Delanie

2010-12-16 15:39:56 -0800

Ali, I have my fingers crossed that you get good results in time for a wonderful, worry-free Christmas.
    I am constantly inspired by how you incorporate the difficult moments in life. You don't whitewash leaving the impression of a perfect life but neither do you dwell. Instead it is little hints or stories of lessons learned and new achievements. Thank you for sharing the wonderful balance in your memorykeeping.

14. Jenny Childers

2010-12-16 15:41:18 -0800

I just love your December Daily idea...I made mine mainly out of paper and collages and am using the Reverb10 prompts for each day....thanks for the ideas!

15. messy gypsie

2010-12-16 16:56:35 -0800

Jenny, Im loving the reverb prompts also, they are adding a new dimension to this years december daily.

Thanks Ali for sharing the heartfelt journaling, I love when the focus shifts to the stories. I have boxes of pictures but I would rather have had boxes of letters from my mom, so I hope to leave both for my kids.
    You are always so inspiring!

16. Kris

2010-12-16 18:01:40 -0800

You are always coming up with the most creative and inspiring pages. I loved your journaling today, thanks for sharing!

17. candy

2010-12-16 20:18:01 -0800

thank you for making it ok to not have to use a photo each day! great inspriation!

18. Carolyn HP

2010-12-16 20:55:37 -0800

Love the stitched heart on your starbucks holder, great idea, beautiful words, keeping you in my thoughts & prayers that everything comes back from the doctor okay, thank you as always for sharing your story Ali :)

19. Heather H

2010-12-16 20:58:49 -0800

Ali, such a warm letter from a mother to her childern about how to navigate this "thing" called life. An excellent reminder for an adult child (myself included) to see, at an exact moment of time, that our parents had fears, hopes and dreams even when they seemed so old to us. It's an unsteady feeling when facing a medical concern but you handle it with such grace and peace. Thank you for sharing your insights and your love of your life with us.

20. Barb in AK

2010-12-16 23:56:00 -0800

You just proved that a wonderful layout does not have to be all about the photos! That is beautiful and will always be "golden" pages to everyone in your family :-)

21. Lisa W

2010-12-18 07:13:00 -0800

Your journaling today. . .is perfect.

22. Michelle D.

2010-12-19 21:16:56 -0800

I love your journaling pages. They will be cherished by many for years and years to come.

23. Collette

2010-12-21 04:36:38 -0800

I love your wish that you hope your children will remember a warm and loving home. It really is the best gift you could give to them. I experienced everything you wrote about and it is truly a blessing, as you know yourself, and I'm sure your children will take the same with them. Every child should have that experience. It's also so wonderful that they will be able to read this when they are older. Love it!

24. Jen

2011-01-30 13:21:24 -0800

once again you have out done me!! you are just so creative and one step ahead of the curve! well done!

25. December Daily | Ali Edwards

2011-10-16 20:34:45 -0700

[...] 6 December 7 December 8 December 9 December 10 December 11 December 12 December 13 December 14 December 15 December 16 December 17 December 18 December 19 December 20 December 21 December 22 December 23 [...]