December Daily 2010 | Day Three

Welcome to Day Three.

Last night we went out and got our tree. We're not picky about our tree at all - it took all of 10 minutes total to pick the tree, have some of the bottom branches trimmed, get it on the car, and pay. That's probably our fastest time yet.

One of the things I added to my journaling was the price of the tree (it was $50). That's the first time I've added it in and wished that I would have included it in past years as a fun comparison.

I went with a full 6x8 photo again. I'm totally loving this size.

The circle accent and the line that goes across it are both part of a new set of word art called Holiday Word Art Vol. 2.

Also, this is a good opportunity to make sure you know that Designer Digitals is running a Days of December promotion throughout the month where each day there is a new $.50 item along with a random selection of a couple hundred other items throughout the store at 30% off. You can always check out what's currently marked as a sale item here.

The "hello tree" was handwritten using a metallic silver pen from PITT Artist Pen from Faber-Castell. The number on the pen is Silver 251. It worked great on my photo. I also used it to draw the journaling lines on the cardstock below. Worked great for both applications.

I drew the journaling lines by hand and then filled in my jouranling. The cute little circles from Ormolu are stapled onto pattern paper from The Girls Paperie.

A couple close-ups:

A NOTE ABOUT THE PHOTOS : As you might have noticed - perfect pictures aren't a necessary part of this process. In an ideal world the color in my shots would be spot-on. They wouldn't be blurry. I know the color is off and often times so is the focus. I'm ok with that - they tell a story in and of themselves.

JOURNALING : Today felt like a crazy day. I felt like we were all going a million-miles-per-minute all in our own separate way. When we did finally come together in the evening it was even more chaotic - everyone talking at the same time with lots of "MAMA's" from Anna for good measure. We planned to get the tree tonight and we did after an adventure to the sporting goods store and Target to find snowpants and gloves for the kids for a last-minute trip to the mountains. After getting everyone outfitted (and praying that my snow pants at home still fit) we stopped to get a tree. It was a quick stop - we are not picky. 8ft and full. Cost for 2010: $50.

DAY THREE SUPPLIES : Fancy Pants Tradition Flocked Transparency; Tim Holtz Silver Numerals: Two Peas | Scrapbook.com; Ormolu Merry Memories Dots N Spots; Ali Edwards Holiday Word Art Vol. 2; The Girls Paperie Festive Brocade; Ali Edwards 2010 December Daily 6x8 Overlays

All posts related to December Daily can be found here.

SHARE A LINK TO YOUR DAY THREE

I'd love to have you include a link to your DAY THREE page here. Please link directly to your post or image on Flickr vs. your general blog link. Thank you! Also - don't feel like you need to leave a comment!

1. Kim

2010-12-04 23:10:33 -0500

Hi Ali
    I wasn't organized enough to create my album in advance so I'm making sure that I am blogging everyday and posting my favorite photos for the day as well.

I love your designer digital work and love your hand written elements. Have you ever considered creating SVG files to sell? I would love, love, love to have the ability to cut out your hand written elements on my cricut.

2. Debbie

2010-12-04 23:16:56 -0500

I really enjoy the style of your scrap booking, journaling, and photo choices. This is a great project!

3. steffb

2010-12-04 23:19:55 -0500

You know, it's hilarious. last year I was frozen to make anything until I saw your layout, and then did a bad job imitating them. This year I am feeling very confident to do my own thing, and then I see yours and somehow end up doing almost what you did, and they look great! Go figure LOL.

I also made my own perfect picture today. Each picture of picking out the tree had someone missing...so I photoshopped them all in the same one. Now it's perfect! Matches my memory and the story much better.

4. Barbara

2010-12-04 23:30:31 -0500

Hi Ali,
    I Love it! My girls are teenagers so the daily journaling is more difficult for me. However, I plan on digging out all the xmas photos and creating two pages for each year. I'm hoping to do most of it digitally so that I can make two to pass down to my two girls some day when they are older and have their own children. I purchased the templates.

What version of PSE are you using? I'm not able to move the overlay onto my picture however, I can drop the picture onto the template and save it as a separate file.

5. Melanie

2010-12-05 00:03:08 -0500

Moving right along ... day 3 done. I didn't get today's done - but I do have at least 1 photo & some journaling in mind. Aside from the size I chose (6x6 is too small) I'm loving my book and happy I did the prep work this year.

6. Rosie

2010-12-05 00:03:47 -0500

I am so enjoying this project and what I am having the most fun with is playing in PSE! I thought I would be sending individual prints to the printers but I've been making 4x6 photo collages and having a blast playing with my Wacom pen tablet and printing photos at home. Your 'mad' digi skills have inspired me Ali!

7. Melissa

2010-12-05 00:18:29 -0500

After searching for almost 45 minutes, I could not find a way to purchase a silver (251) pen on the Faber-Castle website. It is listed as one of the colors they produce, but it is NOT included in a single package of their pens. I really wanted that pen. :(

8. natalyn

2010-12-05 01:17:08 -0500

My photos for Day Three are totally imperfect, and I totally love them.

9. Diana McGraw

2010-12-05 01:40:39 -0500

Ali this is the first time I have been to your site and I love it! I would love to participate and create my own Daily December 2010 album however do you think it is too late to start?

10. Debbie Baillie

2010-12-05 03:51:41 -0500

I am so glad that you are ok with blurred photos Ali! I am too and I tell the ladies I teach the same thing!

11. December Daily | Ali Edwards

2010-12-05 13:14:13 -0500

[...] PAGES December 1 December 2 December 3 December 4 December 5 December 6 December 7 December 8 December 9 December 10 December 11 December [...]

12. Mrs. b

2010-12-05 15:36:31 -0500

Ali, thanks for all the inspiration! I liked the idea with drawing journaling lines with a silver pen, and actually found it to be perfect for the layout I used today on day 5 - thanks for the idea!

13. Sue

2010-12-05 17:16:42 -0500

I'm just loving this project - every day I wake up and think about the photo I can take that day - Today (5 Dec) was particularly hard as I didn't really have anything special planned. One idea I had was that this is the first weekend my children are both away (one at Uni and one working abroad) so I took a photo of mine & hubby's Sunday Roast dinner, took ages staging it, etc and then later this evening, I found the memory card still in the PC from when I uploaded my photos earlier in the day! Doh...

14. Laura

2010-12-05 18:09:00 -0500

I'm definitely at a point (for day four and five) where I don't have a lot of "perfect" pictures, but I know they will help me tell my stories.

15. Deborah Mahnken

2010-12-05 22:57:31 -0500

Love the digi stamps! Had to pick them up today and can't wait to use them :D

16. Sarah

2010-12-06 11:04:32 -0500

Thank you for reminding me that technically imperfect photos can tell perfect stories. I'm trying hard not to let the camera get in the way of our life, but for an amateur photographer that also means learning to settle for fewer shots that may not be what I saw through the lens.

17. Fanny

2010-12-06 16:01:15 -0500

I am enjoying this process, Ali! Thanks for the idea and inspiration!

18. Amy

2010-12-06 17:44:26 -0500

Comment!

19. Amy

2010-12-07 08:42:30 -0500

Love this. . . but holy moly, $50! I'm sure our tree won't be as cheap as last year or the year before or the year before that. I think I'd just forgotten how much trees can be. We get our from a Christmas Tree Farm- we go cut it and it's always been less than $30- I tend to keep the tags marking the cost from year to year and I'm sure I'll include it in my album somehow. Of course, mind you, the Tree Farm is on a hill and the trunks are never ever straight. We have one of those stands that will tilt and roll so that we can get it to at least be "upright". . . it's never quite straight looking.

20. sharyn

2010-12-07 16:47:55 -0500

I definitely need to try the 6X8 size!

21. Emily & Blythe

2010-12-08 16:39:52 -0500

thats a good and cool idea to use the metalic pen on the photo!

22. sophie

2010-12-10 04:45:10 -0500

just adore the way you journal! those trees look amazing too!

23. Jen

2010-12-16 11:38:40 -0500

loving watching my album take shape - thanks for the inspiration!!

24. Silsine

2010-12-18 08:29:09 -0500

I think never is too late.

25. Gemma

2010-12-19 17:25:08 -0500

Wow, I'm really enjoying this album. It's a pleasure to see your work. Thanks for the inspiration.