Tis The Season For Storytelling

Don't forget that registration is now open for my 12-week workshop, Yesterday & Today, at Big Picture Classes. Class begins on December 30th.

Yesterday & Today is a content-rich class focused on encouraging you to tell stories from your past, stories that compare past and present, and stories from your life right now. The original idea for this workshop is to begin the process of creating a 12×12 album about yourself, but many students in the last workshop adapted the content to tell stories of people other than themselves.

This is a layout class. We will be making 12, 2-page layouts plus a cover page (one layout per week).

At it's heart, this is a class about taking a look at the way you tell stories. The why, the how, and the what if. You do not need to have old photos to participate.

Here's a look at the 12 weekly topics:

1. Saying Goodbye. Saying Hello. Introduction to words + photos scrapbooking.

2. Don't Make Things More Complicated Than They Need To Be. Choosing photos to illustrate your story. Old photo basics: scanning, enlarging, and printing.

3. Telling The Story. What stories are really going to matter? Facts vs. feelings. Timelines.

4. Embracing Imperfection. Addressing the challenging stories of our lives.

5. Go With The Flow. Layouts without photos.

6. Evolution. Documenting stories that demonstrate change and growth.

7. Now & Then. Creating layouts that compare and contrast.

8. Cultivate Mindfulness. Establishing a past-perspective.

9. Celebrate The Everyday. Today you/documenting a day in your life.

10. This I Believe. Using pop culture as inspiration in your storytelling.

11. Perfectly Imperfect. Documenting the perfectly imperfect details of our lives today.

12. The Stuff Of Life. Incorporating papers and other "real life" ephemera into your scrapbooking.

13. Taking The Next Step. Where do you go from here?

This class is appropriate for traditional or digital scrapbookers (or those like me that mix the two). Included in the content of the class are video tutorials in Photoshop Elements that walk you through the process of using the downloadable elements that will be added to your layouts. I’ve also included instructions in Word for those of you who are more comfortable working in that environment. For completely digital scrapbookers I’ve included layered templates for each of the paper layouts.

For this class you don't have to log-on at any specific time and you can go at your own pace. This is a "forever" class at Big Picture meaning you will have access to all the content and materials even after the workshop ends.

Read the full description for Yesterday & Today and sign up here.

I'd love to have you join me for this experience. For feedback from past participants go here.

1. Louise P

2010-12-06 13:04:07 -0800

I'm really wishing for $99 to appear in my account right now! Unfortunately, I doubt that's likely to happen! :)

2. hannahk

2010-12-06 13:11:28 -0800

I'm already signed up and so looking forward to Dec 30th. This is the second time around and I'm super excited about adding to the stories I started.

3. pidge

2010-12-06 13:30:22 -0800

Ali, I just want to mention, for like the billionth time, how much I enjoyed this class. It taught me how to scrapbook -- not how to glue and cut but how to get stories down without the stress. Also, I have taken several other classes since Y/T and I have to admit that you totally spoiled me on what I expect to get out of classes now! Thank you for being so upfront about what what offered in the class. I always knew where we were going and I always felt like you were so capable of getting us there. So many classes I've been in have no clear cut goals. Not only did you teach the "how/why" of scrapbooking you also taught so much about teaching in general. Thanks so much.

4. Shannan

2010-12-06 13:42:46 -0800

Yep - all signed up and ready to go!

* edited 08/11/14 06:21AM
  5. Tweets that mention Tis The Season For Storytelling | Ali Edwards -- Topsy.com

2010-12-06 13:44:15 -0800

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by noellhyman, scrappyJedi. scrappyJedi said: I am! RT @noellhyman: I already purchased this class Who else is doing it? @aliedwards: Tis The Season For Storytelling http://bit.ly/f6hwql [...]

6. Ruth

2010-12-06 14:05:12 -0800

I'm already signed up for this class. 10% off from BPC for completeing their survey and a Christmas present to myself. I'm hoping the class will see me through the dark winter days of January!

7. Lee

2010-12-06 15:15:19 -0800

I can't wait to get started! I failed at accomplishing one page last year, but I did learn a ton :) I'm looking to face my fear and go for it.

8. dawn

2010-12-06 16:04:27 -0800

Would love love to take this class,already you have taught me so much just on reading your blog daily. Due to the holidays though there isn't any extra money at this time. Do you always have this class at the end of the year, how about in the spring or summer??

9. katie

2010-12-06 16:46:59 -0800

I know the designs are the same from the last time you ran this class, but are you completing a new album along with us with different stories? I hope that makes sense, its been a long day.

10. Jen D

2010-12-06 17:27:09 -0800

I took this class last year and it was amazing! Definitely changed the way I scrapbook and encouraged me to get and start to preserve some of my old photos and stories. I highly recommend it! Thanks Ali!

11. Maureen

2010-12-06 18:25:41 -0800

I'm signed up for this one again. I thought I might get back to finishing it on my own but realize I love having 'playmates' on my journey. I'm looking forward to some quiet time later this month to get my own ideas going from your list. I have a lot of years to pull from which is one of the advantages of being in my 60s!

12. Jackie Bremer

2010-12-06 19:00:31 -0800

I'm l,ooking forward to the class. I have so many stories to tell and am hoping it helps me stay on task. I do plan on a gift certificate this Christmas - it has been a really huge hint!!

13. Alida

2010-12-06 23:22:49 -0800

I'm so interested in this, and are glad that you have the read in Word option, as I'm not sure my computer can download the video tutorials.

14. Amy

2010-12-07 05:33:35 -0800

I'm signed up and I can't wait! I've loved the classes over at Big Picture. And while money is tight, this is the type of thing that keeps on giving.

15. Sheryl

2010-12-07 06:06:22 -0800

Ali, can you tell me if there are new digital elements in the class this year? I am trying to decide if I should sign up again this year, or just continue on with the content from last year's class. Money is kind of tight right now, so I want to be responsible. Thanks!

16. PattiP

2010-12-07 10:06:54 -0800

I took this last year. It's one of my favorite classes ever. I'm taking it again this year, it was soo good.

17. Stacy

2010-12-07 11:24:38 -0800

I agree, one of my favorite classes ever! These pages I LOVE to show off! I now always consider "what I wish I knew".

18. Lacey

2010-12-07 12:01:27 -0800

Hey Ali,
    I signed up for this class last year (but didn't show up lol)- I know that we have the content forever but its nice to follow along, esp when I could get access to you if I had questions. I am wanting to do my childhood album. I saw the above comment where you said that you were thinking about maybe doing new layouts? I was wondering if there will be any other updates in the next class?

19. Peggy Leland

2010-12-07 21:00:48 -0800

my husband got me this class for christmas, he just doesn't know it yet *wink wink*

20. Alana

2010-12-08 10:30:39 -0800

Is enrollment "open" or is there a cap to the number of students you will accept?

21. Heather

2010-12-08 11:13:11 -0800

I took this class last year too and LOVED it! I've taken a bunch of classes at BPS, and while they've all been good, Y+T was definitely the best. It was the perfect balance of digging deep for storytelling and Ali's laid-back "it is ok" approach. I really think the stories in my scrapbook are richer for having taken this class. Thanks Ali. :)

22. Susan Wilson

2010-12-09 11:58:11 -0800

Would love this opportunity. I'm starting to have some memory problems and I'm working as fast as I can to get the old stories written.

23. danielle

2010-12-14 09:15:22 -0800

Loved this class last year, and the layouts you created were awesome! Just wondering if you will be presenting new layouts this time aroun?

24. Layout Previews | Yesterday & Today | Ali Edwards

2010-12-16 09:23:35 -0800

[...] hope you can join me! If you’d like to read more go here or here. Registration is open through January 5th here. Class begins December [...]

25. Heather

2011-01-03 10:17:55 -0800

I so want to take this. Sigh. It's way out of my budget. On the fence, on the fence.