Long Live Spontaneous Adventures

On Thursday night we decided at the last minute to head up to Seattle to spend New Year's with my brother and his family. It's about a 4-5 hour drive from our house in Eugene to their house in Tacoma.

Liz, my sister-in-law, and I had talked about maybe getting together for New Year's but didn't make any firm plans. I got an email from her on Thursday afternoon telling us they were planning to go over to my cousin's and we were invited if we felt like making the drive.

The deciding factor in heading out of town for me was this: I want to make more time for good stuff with people I love.

First and foremost that means planning more adventures with my siblings and their kids. Two weeks ago I was able to use miles to book tickets to take the kids and visit my sister in Charlotte in March. Go miles go.

So we packed up the car Friday morning and hit the road.

Someday down the road I'm going to do an album of all these photos I've got of Lucy and Anna together. It always looks like they are sharing special little secrets.

Not long after we arrived it was time to head over to my cousin's house for a perfect kid-friendly New Year's Eve party.

Crazy boys. Lots of jumping, running, eating cupcakes, watching movies and being silly.

The girl's did some coloring at a station my cousin-in-law set up (such a great idea). Anna was in bed by 7:30pm. Lucy was up for the distance after almost falling asleep once.

The photo of the backyard fireworks I took at a super low iso (like 100). I set the camera on a table they had outside and just pushed the button once the firework started. It took a super long time for the shutter to close and this was the result.

After playing games and a bit of merry-making, we were back at my brother's house by about 11:15pm. It was pretty much the maximum for the kids (besides Anna who'd already been asleep before we had to take her out to the car).

It was a great way to spend the last night of 2010.

On Saturday we headed up to Seattle to Pike Place Market.

Turned out just about everything was closed - tons of people walking around with nothing open. Not super great when you've got four little kids who were looking forward to lunch at the Market.

While figuring out what was next we hung out a bit at the small park right below the Market.

It's been years since I've been to the Market. I've got good memories of going there with my parents as a kid: sights, sounds, smells.

Love you Liz.

Having a chat while waiting for burgers at Dick's.

She's almost two and she totally knows it.

We ended up not staying up in Seattle too long since so many things were closed and it was really, really cold. Back at my brother's house we hung out before having Thai food for dinner (Simon eats "chicken-on-a-stick").

One of my favorite parts of the weekend was getting out and running near my brother's house. On Saturday I cruised neighborhoods and on Sunday I ran along Ruston Way. It was really, really cold but the sun was out and the view was amazing.

We love you guys and hope to see you again soon!

Long live spontaneous adventures. Long live getting out of our house and going and seeing and doing and celebrating.

PS: Look for that long list of words coming tomorrow morning.

1. Deb Pereira

2011-01-03 17:21:46 +0100

Ali, I live on 35th just two blocks down from your brother. I also run this neighborhood and Ruston way often. It's such a beautiful place to live and makes for some scenic running routes. So glad you enjoyed yourself here.

2. joni possin

2011-01-03 17:32:35 +0100

I would love to see an album of photos with Anna and her cousin. They are sooooooo adorable and DO seem to be sharing secrets. I love watching Anna grow up.

3. Rebekah Pontow

2011-01-03 18:06:31 +0100

Wow, I love this! I think I need to add spontaneous to my life too!

* edited 08/11/14 01:10PM
  4. Tweets that mention Long Live Spontaneous Adventures | Ali Edwards -- Topsy.com

2011-01-03 18:39:39 +0100

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ali Edwards, Josephina Mydreama. Josephina Mydreama said: Long Live Spontaneous Adventures: On Thursday night we decided at the last minute to head up… http://goo.gl/fb/1X2Yg [...]

5. Katie @ cakes, tea and dreams

2011-01-03 18:44:47 +0100

Oh, I love this. What a fantastic family adventure.

6. Robyn

2011-01-03 19:36:35 +0100

that's awesome Ali! there's nothing like spending time with family & you're creating so many great "cousin memories"!

7. Jennifer Camplin

2011-01-03 19:48:57 +0100

What a fun way to start the year..

Glad that your whole family went out there!!

8. angie blom

2011-01-03 19:51:32 +0100

ah love adventures.. this is my 2011 resolution is to make more time for Family Adventures.. 2010 we missed out on way too much.. time to get back to the ones we love. I love that you are making this same step. it is all worth the extra effort.

9. AndreaWiebe

2011-01-03 20:11:51 +0100

Sounds like a perfect time!!!

10. PeggyK

2011-01-03 21:25:43 +0100

Ahhhhh!! Gotta love spontaneity...especially when it slows you down and lets you take in life!! Had to reference this post in mine today! Just too perfect!

11. Noelle

2011-01-03 21:34:50 +0100

This is what I need to do more of, but I get bogged down in the hassel of going places with a 5 month old. My inlaws want us to go visit family 90min away next weekend, and I find myself stuck on "well we'll need a high chair, and something to put her in when she's tired of being held, and X number of diapers..." Makes me not want to bother. But really, I should relax and just GO.

12. Amy K

2011-01-03 21:51:46 +0100

Ali, my cousins were my sisters growing up as I am an only child. Just had a chance to spend some time with them back in my home town over Christmas and it was so great to be back together...even though we're all around 50 now, it's still special to be able to do things together and it's like we were never apart.

13. Kylie

2011-01-03 22:11:11 +0100

Love your post Ali, really fits in with my OLW - ACTION! As in, stopping thinking and wishing, just go and do it, make it happen!

14. Judy Webb

2011-01-03 23:13:34 +0100

Such beautiful girls and handsome guys, regardless of age!! Really agree on "spontaneous." Something my family needs to work on.

15. Suzie

2011-01-04 00:52:07 +0100

We spent New Years with my brother, it wasn't as long a drive as you guys did but soooo glad we made the trip. Me & my husband do spontaneous trips alot, whoever drives organises the location(s) we pack a picnic and off we go! They are some of our best trips. Can wait for more spontaneous trips this year.

16. JennV

2011-01-04 01:07:14 +0100

So glad you were able to come to Seattle this weekend! It is such a beautiful city and Saturday here was so gorgeous! Sorry nothing was open for you...you will have to come again soon. :)

PS I love your firework photo!

17. Christine

2011-01-04 01:40:19 +0100

Glad you had a chance to run along the waterfront. My husband and daughters run there often. So sorry that Pike Place Market was closed. I really enjoy the sights and sounds of the market.

18. Sarah M

2011-01-04 04:34:06 +0100

I love this idea. Seattle sounds like a great place to visit. I also really love your posts from when you visit your sister in Charlotte -- my family lives here too and it's fun for me to see your photos at places familiar to me. Happy new year!

19. Yolanda S

2011-01-04 04:49:01 +0100

How special to have spent that time with those you love. Those are the moments that the kids will carry with them forever. Happy New Year!

20. jessica

2011-01-04 05:23:56 +0100

awww - great pictures. thank you for letting me live this family adventure vicariously through your photos. Love you guys and can't wait to see you in March!!

21. Linda

2011-01-04 05:58:01 +0100

You were at one of my fav places--Seattle--we live just north. Sure has been cold but soooooooo beautiful!!

22. Jill

2011-01-04 06:05:59 +0100

oh, i love ruston way. and point defiance. and how beautiful the water is and the mountains. looks like you could see the olympic mountain range - clear as a bell. and i bet rainier was a sight to behold. ahhh. sweet memories of my child hood. (thanks :) )

23. Juli Fish

2011-01-05 03:04:10 +0100

I so love that you are making time for family. There is nothing better than seeing your kids form relationships with their cousins (and aunts & uncles). What a great unexpected adventure! I'm right there with you on making more time for things that make us feel good (like family and really good friends).

24. Sarah

2011-01-05 04:20:43 +0100

Seattle is one of my all-time favorite places that I have vacationed to! I absolutely LOVED the Market! I would have been SO DISAPPOINTED to find it closed. (Mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about some smoked salmon jerkey from the Pike Place Market and THE BEST little sausage shop nearby where they have THE MOST INTERESTING combination of flavors. YUM!)

25. alexa

2011-01-05 09:21:55 +0100

Love your energy and sense of adventure - thank-you for reminding me that life is full of possibility.