Snow Day

Around here it doesn't take much for schools to close due to snow (often they close at just the threat of snow).

We actually get snow maybe once or twice a winter.

This little bit of white stuff you see in the photo above closed all the area schools and was completely gone by noon. Mother Nature did tease us a bit throughout the day with a couple hard snowfalls, a bit of accumulation, and then sun that would melt all possibility of it really being a snow day.

It turned out to be a great chance to do a day of photo documentation. Here's what I captured throughout the day:

6:30am | Early morning excitement. Simon exclaiming, "How'd I get so lucky?"

6:35am | Hair brushing, face washing, tooth brushing. Followed by breakfast and Sesame Street.

9:00am | Time to go outside. I'm glad we went out early because there really wasn't any left later in the day. It was also cool because it really started coming down while we were out there which was very fun.

We walked around to check out the front yard and that's when it really started coming down.

And then we were just cold.

We headed back inside where Simon watched a movie and Anna and I played in her room.

10:00am | Oh self-timer I love you so.

11:00am | We headed out for an errand and to grab some lunch. The snow was completely gone when we left the house.

Noon | When we returned home it started again. I had high hopes that this round would stick. It did, but again, just for a bit.

12:30pm | What snow day would be complete without lego-building time?

While Simon built a pyramid, Anna built towers.

And played with her Playmobil Take-A-Long Farm (awesome toy).

And made pizza.

And took a nap.

And this is what it looked like outside when she went down. Full sun.

And I tried to get a bit of work in while she slept and Simon kept building.

3:00pm | When she woke up it was back to playing, annoying Simon by trying to sneak legos, reading books, playing in her kitchen in just her diaper after eating too many goldfish crackers and getting sick, etc. Life is really busy when you're two.

As the afternoon came to a close we watched Mary Poppins and then had grilled cheese and apples for dinner when Daddy came home.

1. gail lindekugel

2011-02-26 10:10:37 +1300

Saw the weather report and thought about you guys, A little snow is a good thing. Here in Nebraska we are sick of snow, we want spring!!

2. sue

2011-02-26 11:00:26 +1300

Snow days are made for fun and I see this is no exception for your family. Glad you enjoyed it.

3. Nina

2011-02-26 12:32:02 +1300

Aww, what fun and what a cute duo. Thanks so much for always sharing these memories with us, Ali. My son is 6 and we eventually want to have a little daughter (or son) to follow, but was always worried if their age gap would be too big to cross. (My older brother and I always fought constantly. We are six years apart.) But seeing Simon and Anna reassures me that, someday, if we're blessed, they'll get along just fine. =)

4. Anthea

2011-02-26 13:24:32 +1300

We aussies are loving these pictures. My son is soooooo jealous!!!

5. Summer

2011-02-26 15:55:08 +1300

I hardly ever post a comment but I stalk your blog all the time. I love seeing the comparisons in our lives, even though we don't know each other and we live so far apart.:)

6. Kristen

2011-02-26 16:07:39 +1300

Saw this online and thought I would share. I think a Letter A bookshelf would look great in your new office!!!

7. Kristen

2011-02-26 16:07:59 +1300

8. Christine

2011-02-26 16:43:24 +1300

Up here in the Puget Sound area we got a rare late February snow event (thank you Canada). My school had a 2 hour late start but my daughter's school closed. I must have taken 49 photos of the snow so far. Thanks for sharing your snow day with us Ali.

9. Kimberly

2011-02-26 17:18:25 +1300

Such a fun day to document!

10. Rachel Briggs

2011-02-26 17:33:51 +1300

Ali, I truly enjoy reading your blog. I have wanted to tell you for so long that my MIL lives in Oregon too (Tigard). Recently I talked to her about the incoming snow and how she had blooming crocuses and Rhododendron with snow on the ground. This was just after we, here in the D.C. area, had just gotten more ice and snow after having some 70 degree plus days. And like you, they closed school again and it was all melted by noon. My son has only had one full week of school since returning from Christmas break and it's been so hard for him to get back into the routine. But I too have been having some great documentation (Though not enjoying the sickness we have been going through. On round two of it right now).

Also, we own the same thermometer that Anna is holding. Been using it a lot this winter. Dying for Spring to arrive ASAP!

11. laura

2011-02-26 20:35:08 +1300

Hi Ali I write you from Italy.I am one admirer of yours... your children that is so tender and nice.Also I have a child Susan that I love a lot to photograph.Thanks for all the ideas and that give me and to share your life with us!When return in Italy I wait you for a coffee, I live to Como of drawers where a marvelous lake there is!!!Excuse for mine bad English.Laura kisses

12. Cynthia

2011-02-26 21:20:27 +1300

How fun was this! You're such a good mom and inspiration to preserving family history and the importance of family...thank you! Your kids are so lucky! And....I just love your charming gate witht the heart in it and that quilt on Anna's bed...your artistic talents and tastes are everywhere in your home...thanks for sharing them with us as well!!! Your blog always brightens my day!!!!
    PS. It's a major snow storm in Northern Utah as I type right now...there are 9 inches outside and counting!

13. Pat E.

2011-02-27 03:56:19 +1300

Funny how we all look over your photos so carefully, yes? We all notice the smallest things . . . which is why I'm going to ask you where Anna's easel came from. Have tried the plastic ones for my granddaughter but they're awful.

14. Amy Albert

2011-02-27 06:26:26 +1300

We just had another 10 inches dumped on us yesterday!! Rumor has it more on the way! I will GLADLY share!!!! We have had 3 snow days so far...the first one is always fun, but then it just means going to school longer....middle of June!!

15. tara pollard pakosta

2011-02-27 09:11:20 +1300

I love these day in the life shots!
    Anna is sooooo CUTE!!!
    I am trying to do a day in the life every month on the 12th!
    and trying to do Project Life too! so far, I have a photo for every day! the iphone helps with that also!
    thanks for always inspiring!
    tara

16. carriep

2011-02-27 09:38:03 +1300

kept wishing for a snow day here, we started with six inches, still have some today, but do I love the blue sky and sun. Thanks for sharing your day!

17. Jenni Hufford

2011-02-27 11:26:26 +1300

love it ali- it's so fun to document these kind of days!! (ps we are really into mary poppins right now too :)

18. Paula in Australia

2011-02-27 12:51:19 +1300

Love this post and particularly the photo of Anna sitting building blocks. What is she sitting on? Is it a bookshelf under the window? Is is the Yellow one in her room or in another room? Love this idea for one of our windows. Beautiful family post thanks.

19. Erika

2011-02-28 07:18:30 +1300

such wonderful memories to capture :)

20. gudrun

2011-02-28 22:25:13 +1300

Seems like you had a good, snowy day Ali. :)
    LOVE how you document your daily life. So simple, so real. wonderful.

Have a happy week.
    xo
    gudrun

21. Christine @ Coffees & Commutes

2011-03-01 01:16:35 +1300

As a Canadian, you can imagine my amusement at the snow. We're starting today with a few hours of freezing rain, and that will be followed by about 10 cms, a few inches of snow. Just another day here, though the buses are cancelled. My husband is home with our children. I traipsed in to work extra early to avoid the sloppy road conditions and the traffic. There day will look a lot like why you've shown us here. Thanks for sharing!!

22. Project Life | Week Eight | Ali Edwards

2011-03-02 00:00:42 +1300

[...] I went back and forth about how I wanted to add in the journaling from our snow day. [...]

23. Phoenix Peacock

2011-03-06 12:20:00 +1300

I just found you and I am in love LOVE love with your photography! I'm so excited to find such great photographers now, so that when I finally have kids I have already learned so much from people like you that I should be able to keep some awesome records of their lives!
    Very cool.

24. Margery

2014-03-23 11:59:12 +1300

Its like you learn my mind! You appear to understand a lot about this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something.
    I think that you simply could do with some p.c. to power the message house a bit,
    but instead of that, that is great blog. An excellent read.
    I will certainly be back.

25. Lurlene

2014-03-23 17:32:13 +1300

My spouse and I stumbled over here different
    web address and thought I might as well check things out.

I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to looking into your web page for a
    second time.