Project Life | Week Eight

Welcome to Project Life | Week Eight.

This week is mainly about the snow day. We've all been under the weather to one degree or another over the last seven days so it was actually nice to have one main day of photo-taking.

One of the things I'm really loving right now is using a Sharpie for the little titles and accent words on the journal cards. There's something about that contrast between thick and thin that I really like.

Still loving those Instax images. In fact I ordered a new toy last week that takes horizontal images twice the size of my other one. It just came yesterday and it's huge and super fun already.

I went back and forth about how I wanted to add in the journaling from our snow day.

At first I thought I would do all of it directly on the photos before printing, but ended up deciding to do a bit of both. I used a long journaler to include all the text that was included in that post and I added some of the text directly onto the photos.

Learn more about working with long journalers in both Elements and Word here.

On the back of the long journaler I adhered two overlapping photos: one of our house in the snow and one of the wisteria covered in snow.

For the photos from the snow day post I used a Journal Strips: Long from Katie Pertiet.

They were added to each photo in Elements before printing. Here's a closer look:

And the other side:

Those six photos are inside a We Are Memory Keepers 6-up, 12x12 page protector that I cut in half.

This last page is full of images from Thursday. Again, it's something I love about this format. I've got journaling including about things that happened on Friday and Sunday but the images are all from Thursday and it all works.

AND JUST A NOTE | I'm pretty sure that I've already printed more photos this year than my total for 2010. There's definitely something to be said for that.

Project Life is a product created by Becky Higgins. It can be anything you want it to be. The album kit is available for purchase through Amazon. If you live outside the US check Becky’s site for more information on sources. View all my posts about Project Life here.

1. Rosa

2011-03-01 08:39:55 -0600

I am also loving using the Project Life kit! I had purchased one when it first came out, but to be honest, didn't do anything with it that first year. Not until I began the digital version did I begin to use the actual paper one. It helped me by putting in all the journaling cards and monthly cards in advance throughout the entire album... for some reason it seemed like less work... all I had to do was add in photos and journaling.

2. Kim Howard

2011-03-01 09:05:29 -0600

I am so inspired by your creativity and looking forward to a weekend get away with friends so I can work on this album. I've been doing some here and there but bad about physically print out my pictures and resizing them.

3. slmnontec

2011-03-01 09:21:53 -0600

This is my third year at PL. I kept it very "organized" filling each slot with a photo (going the "right" direction) and the appropriate journaling card to match. This year (he he) I'm branching out and putting some ephemera into a separate 9 slotted page protector and am so proud of myself. Now I will be adding some lengthy journaling inbetween. I love enlargements, but after doing a few I find I want to do all photos in 8x10 so have to limit myself. I also know from experience that if you continue for the whole year this way there will be two volumes..... It just gets thicker and thicker with the "stuff" of our amazing lives.

4. Noelle

2011-03-01 09:30:16 -0600

I love seeing your Project Life pictures. This is the first year I've done it, and I'm keeping up. I've designated Sunday nights for printing out my pictures, and write the journalling up on Mondays while my baby is napping. Being laid off in January gave me the time to do this, but I hope my method will allow me to keep up once I find a new job.

I was curious though...I really want to take photos of my PL pages, and of layouts in general, and post them online. I've put layouts on my blog before, but the photos on them were either of my cats or myself. I'm extremely hesitant to post any photos of my child online. How do you deal with that? You post so many photos of your kids. Doesn't that make you at all nervous? I realize I'm a bit on the paranoid side anyways. But I've been doing this Mom gig for only 7 months, so I'm still trying to figure out what I'm comfortable with.

5. JillT

2011-03-01 09:31:19 -0600

If you do a post on your instant cameras, please include size information. I'm not finding specs with sizes of the final prints. Thanks!

6. lindsey

2011-03-01 10:46:59 -0600

Love the photos together on the back of the long journaler, they are on my wish list ready to jump into my cart!

Each week you post I get more and more interested in project life. 2011 has only produced 12 photos or so, your comment on how in 8 weeks you took more photos than all of last year has me with an itchy finger to click 'buy now' over at amazon.

When you gather bits and pieces throughout the week how do you decide what stays and goes? Do you decide immediatly when you recieve the receipt/tea bag/art or do you simmer on it? Does every photo you capture that week become a part of your project life layout? Have you found a groove of what will fit in your pockets and what you will do before you already place them in? 20 questions done, over and out.

7. Jill

2011-03-01 11:31:49 -0600

Hey Ali - I love my Instax mini. It made summer so much fun last year, and autumn and the holidays :) A few questions for you. Where do you buy your film? Amazon? I finished the huge box that came with my camera (I purchased from ebay) and have been buying from Amazon, but I wonder if there's another source you've found? Have you been crafting with your Instax photos in other ways? I scan most of mine and print enlargements for framing and other projects. But then I'm left with all the scans. I'm trying to get creative and use them in other projects - so far I've come up with a few ideas. Would love to know if you've thought of any, too ;)

8. Karen

2011-03-01 12:05:27 -0600

I'm a first time Project Life user this year and I really like it, though I am still figuring out how to make it work best for me. And I'm trying to remember to shoot more landscape, than portrait (orientation). I'll get there though, I'm sure. ANd it's so great seeing how other people interpret & use the same materials to fit their own life and family! :>

9. Debbie S.

2011-03-01 12:21:15 -0600

Love it! Your photos are cool...so white with all the snow. Love the linens in there, the fact that Simon helps Anna with her hair, the cheese grin of Anna, and that you're in there, too. Isn't it a great format??!!!!! Oh, the shot of Lily is awesome, too. Thanks for all the great tips...I am really wanting to try one of those long journalers.

10. Mrs. b

2011-03-01 14:02:41 -0600

I am a first time Project Life user, and I just love it! It feels quite easy to keep up (so far at least) - my process is to go through the pictures I have taken during the week+weekend each weekend and decide which will be printed and go into the album. Sometimes when I have more pictures I just add additional "pages" in between.

I love your "Sharpie-titles" - I noticed it last week and thought it was a really nice and simple way to add something "extra" to the journaling!

11. Kathy

2011-03-01 15:21:00 -0600

Hi there!

Any idea if I could buy those page protectors with the 4 small sleeves in the middle separate from the kit? They are the bomb!

12. Erin

2011-03-01 16:50:29 -0600

how do you like using the fuji camera? I have been thinking of getting one.

13. Barb

2011-03-01 18:45:14 -0600

I love the idea of adding the 4 x 6 page protectors for additional photos! Thanks.

14. Melissa Darnall

2011-03-01 23:49:19 -0600

MINIBOOKS FROM MY PUBLISHER IN SMALL POCKETS ... the new minibooks from My Publisher (for only 2.50!) will fit perfectly in one of the small middle slots. They are limited to 20 pages (which I like so I can't go crazy). But right now shipping is FREE. Just sharing an idea that I can't wait to incorporate into my album. I think snapfish or shutterfly make a minbook as well, which would also fit. Happy Project Lifing to All! :)

15. Alicia

2011-03-02 11:37:52 -0600

LOVE the photos on the back of the long journaler!

16. Patricia

2011-03-02 18:15:55 -0600

I've enjoyed following along with your Project Life! I have one of the kits, but decided to hold off starting it until late summer when my oldest daughter starts her senior year of high school. I thought it would be an organized way to capture her life and plan on giving it to her as a gift once it's done. Thanks for all your inspiration!

17. Maegen Jenne

2011-03-02 18:47:36 -0600

do you add embellishments to your journal cards or are they as is?

18. Melissa

2011-03-02 21:12:20 -0600

Ali, have I told you this week how much I love you! You are freakin' awesome! Thanks for the joy that you bring each and every week with your PL posts! I, too, finally caved and bought the kit, but it's still sitting under my desk at work. We are waiting on orders to see where the Army is moving us next (or if we might be staying here), so I don't want to open it just yet if we need to get ready to pack and move. I also treated myself to the cool Instax camera, and it still hasn't made it out of the box either. Good lord, what am I waiting for? Oh right, the Army! Anyway, thanks. Again. You simply rock!

19. Brooke

2011-03-03 04:53:25 -0600

Ali just a quick question for you. With the journaling cards that you have hand written how do you know that what you want to say will take up just the right amount of space to fill the card but not go over? Do you pre-write it first?

20. Deonne

2011-03-03 11:31:10 -0600

Hey Ali-
    Maybe you've said this before, but what do you do with the extras you cut off your page protectors? Do you use them in other ways? Like the other half of the 6 up 4x6 protector pockets from this layout?
    Just curious!
    Deonne

21. Stefanie

2011-03-03 11:49:02 -0600

I love the photo of your son brushing your daughters hair. So sweet!

22. Leah

2011-03-04 02:39:12 -0600

Love to see the different size page protectors, Ali - makes the album look like a treasure trove waiting to be discovered! I may have missed this post, but what protectors do you use for the long journalers? I'm really loving those extra spaces to write, especially with the picture on back this week. Thanks again for sharing your ideas!

23. lovely links: vol. 4 « Studio LK

2011-03-07 18:19:34 -0600

[...] Edwards is documenting her family’s life with Project Life, and it’s so inspiring. I’m taking notes Ali!  via [...]

24. Kaly

2011-03-31 11:20:56 -0500

I'm looking into getting an instant camera and wondered which one you are preferring to use lately? The mini sounds maybe a bit too small?
    Thanks!

* edited 08/11/14 06:21AM
  25. Project Life bits and pieces - Super Organiser Mum – Organisation Tips, Articles and Advice on Beyond The Baby

2012-03-13 20:02:07 -0500

[...] Ali Edwards. She is a rock star in the scrap world anyway but her PL each week is always a great source of extra ideas and inspiration for me. [...]