Project Life | Week Nine

Welcome to Project Life | Week Nine.

Each week when I photograph these pages and upload them to post one of the first things that comes to mind is HOORAY FOR LIFE!

There's something about seeing it spread out here. Of course it's not all of it, and obviously it really doesn't even scratch the surface of all the moments and minutes of a week. But boy does it do a good job of capturing a glimpse of the life we are leading right now.

Here's a closer look at the left side:

I got a new toy last week - an Instax 210 (the photo of Anna on the bottom right). It's basically the wide format of the one I have been using (and will continue to use). The images are twice the width and the same height as the Instax Mini.

Both are really simple and fun ways to capture life.

The insert this week is the school lunch calendar with a little note I stapled on about Simon being a "school-lunch-kid."

The other side of the insert includes a flyer for his school.

A closer look at the right side:

Project Life is a product created by Becky Higgins. It can be anything you want it to be. The album kit is available for purchase through Amazon. If you live outside the US check Becky’s site for more information on sources. View all my posts about Project Life here.

1. Danielle Crume

2011-03-08 01:45:10 +0000

Ali, I'm always inspired by your PL posts! I am the mother of four kids (9,7,5,2) and love the idea of this project, but I struggle with the thought of having everything in one album as well as providing equal (as much as I can) numbers of photos/stories about each kid. Because of this, I have not been able to move forward with anything. I really struggle with this. How do you ensure that it is "fair" and that each kid is equally represented? What about dividing up the albums? I need to move forward and do something! Thanks so much. I look forward to continuing to see your PL posts throughout the year.

2. Jenny

2011-03-08 01:47:19 +0000

If you ever feel like you're not being inspirational. STop. and remember that you reach more people than you realize. I just wanted you to know that and even though I will be 10 weeks behind on the album I am inspired by how you fit it all in and capture the things that you and your family will be interested in in the years to come.

Thank you.

3. Helen Rosen

2011-03-08 01:57:18 +0000

You mentioned last week that you're using a Sharpie pen for journaling. Which size are you using? Is it the marker or the fine tip pen? Love your PL album!

4. Damiane Lucas

2011-03-08 02:09:02 +0000

Thank you, Ali, for sharing your PL album with us each week! I really enjoy your PL posts!

Today I noticed how you varied your journaling with the thick pen (marker ??) where you wrote, "I love it. Chocolate Milk." What pen/marker is that? Great idea! I would love to try that, too.

I applaud you for diligently working on your PL album. I peeked at Becky's blog recently and learned that she's using a digital version of her PL album. Wow, what a surprise.

I expected that the designer of this hands-on kit would use her own invention, too (binder, cards, page protectors, and hand journaling). It's ironic that she hasn't shared any blog posts of herself using her hands-on kit. Yet, thousands are selling on Amazon.

Thank you again, Ali. I am ever grateful for your hands-on scrapbooking dedication. Thanks for your PL commitment. I truly look forward to seeing your PL posts each week. You're such an inspiration!

Much love to you!

5. Diane

2011-03-08 02:57:33 +0000

I look forward to this update every week! Thanks so much for the continued inspiration! I am having so much fun playing with mine. It seems that each little tag and receipt that passes through my hands now gets the question...should I save this for book? :)

6. KSW

2011-03-08 03:10:31 +0000

Your album is a work of art. It is lovely, a keepsake, and it is inspirational. TFS it -- and for building the digital pieces for us to build our skills.

7. kelly

2011-03-08 04:59:46 +0000

i especially love the photos this week.

8. Shelly Bailey

2011-03-08 06:28:17 +0000

I love seeing these every week. I so love the idea of capturing the school lunch menu. I am so going to do this for my daughters school album and highlight her favorites that she gets every week (which is the Becky Higgins school kit - isn't she awesome!) and so are you :-) - Shelly

9. Alida

2011-03-08 08:19:12 +0000

Love that outfit! And I also look forward to seeing these pages every week.

10. Michelle @ Raising Will

2011-03-08 10:47:51 +0000

Oooooh! I was so excited to see your PL post in my blog Reader. Just like every week, you make my day with your fantabulous album! Keep up the inspiration Ali. Your efforts are wonderful xx

11. Sheree

2011-03-08 11:47:36 +0000

Hi Ali,
    As this is my first year of PL I was curious to know what size you make your photos if you are putting them into the small vertical pockets? I tend to resize my photos to fit in PSE, then print them instead of cropping. Thanks again for all the wonderful inspiration.

12. Cynthia

2011-03-08 12:34:36 +0000

Thanks again for sharing your PL Ali. When I saw the pictures this week my first thought was how full of life it is (I feel the same when I look at ours). And of course your kids are so full of life and absolutely adorable! Love the bathtub toys!

I think that is the beauty of PL, although your add-ins and modifications (and your incredible creativity) make it so much more special and inspiring.

I am also doing this as a sort of weekly summary which really takes the heat off the daily idea and, I think, makes it so awesome (at a glance is also how my eye first takes it in).

I have the Instax 210 and love it!!! Have you seen the Fujifilm Pivi MP-300 (don't have a link)? It prints up photos to look like the instant pictures. Very cool.

13. Sally

2011-03-08 13:32:34 +0000

Wow, I am so jealous of Simon's wonderful lunch menu! :) hehe. My kids usually pick one day per week to have hot lunch, but there is only one choice of a meal on the calendar per day. Seeing all of the choices Simon gets is awesome! LOVE your PL album. Keep the pages coming!!

14. Kris

2011-03-08 14:43:43 +0000

I love seeing your project life. It inspires me so much. I had kind of fallen off the band wagon of project life, only barely gotten started, but seeing this post really just makes me want to go home and start working on it. thank you.

15. Stacy Milford

2011-03-08 15:58:10 +0000

The note about Anna loving chocolate milk hits close to home for me...my 15 yr old declared recently that Caramel Bugles are delicious! My first thought was...that is going into Project Life! Thanks again for always sharing!

16. Jessica @The Mom Creative

2011-03-08 17:38:35 +0000

Thanks for linking up to Project Life Tuesday, Ali. Don't forget to add in a Mom Creative link or button to your post. :) I love looking at your layouts each week!

17. Laura

2011-03-08 18:54:04 +0000

The thing that struck me this week is that all the photos and stories on a page don't need to be related other than the simple fact that they happened during the same week. I've started my PL using my stash but was still trying to have a page make sense (all zoo photos or all Valentines) but I need to allow myself to mix and match. It will make it so much easier to move forward and keep up.

18. Erika

2011-03-09 03:04:52 +0000

love love love your album! Looks sooooo good :)

19. dawn

2011-03-09 10:47:53 +0000

great pictures and extras this week Ali. The picture of them looking over the fence is my favorite you took that day so I'm glad to see it made it in the week's pictures. thanks again for sharing this with us.

20. Lisa W.

2011-03-09 14:04:12 +0000

Awesome' Project Life Weeks layout...as always!!! Your pics are yummy...your kiddo's adorable. And LOVING how you add say the lunch menu. How cool is that!!!! It is those"little" things that make up are everyday life.
    I noticed the one gal said she is cutting and using her stash. Great idea...and how creative. Wanted to let her know you can purchase just the Album for Project Life on Beckys site. AND the whole kit is awesome...and I think WELL well worth the price!!!!!

21. Tracy B.

2011-03-09 20:17:10 +0000

A helpful hint to those starting late- my friend started in February and just used facebook status' and cell phone pictures to play catch up. It helped a great deal.

22. Debra E

2011-03-10 20:18:39 +0000

I started PL last week. I figured it's life, it's ongoing, I can start my album any time. I didn't buy the full kit. I bought some of the Becky Higgens divided page protectors and journaling cards from Amazon and am using my stash for the rest. I'm normally a digital scrapbooker, but I thought this would be a fun hybrid project where I can include memorabilia and the little bits and pieces of everyday life.

Thank you, Ali, for sharing your album. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have started this project. The way you mix things up inspires me. You make it so much more than it was intended to be. You are a freakin' scrapbooking rock star! And I'm a big fan.

23. Maggie

2011-03-13 04:16:25 +0000

I'm working on making a "me" book from my favorite duplicates printed from my kids years, trips and momentos important to me. I was using a kit, but was wanting to have some ways to add in quick trips and just days of my three kids without doing "full page spreads".

I went to Archiver's today and found some divided page protectos! THuRILLED! I'm opening them now and I'd like to make two observations I think would be useful to the average consumer in the store.

The MemoriesRUs clear pages look like there are two grades of plastic on the shelves, one more yellow in tone, and one blue. HOWEVER, when I got home (2.5 hour drive later), I realized it is a difference in one using cardstock for backing which shows through, and one having white paper between each one. So, you are safe to mix and match in the store. I doubt anyone would read this comment, so if you want to repost this info, it might help someone.

Also, I wonder why the AC ones charged the same for a half sheet of 4X6 pack of 10 as a full sheet? That seemed a bummer, so I resisted the purchase. Just sayin'!

I'm filling pages and am rock n rolling! Looking forward to mixing and matching my pages more, depending on my need for how to tell the story. Freedom is good! Yah! Still much to learn. Time to examine more of Ali's pages to see how to expand my learning on this approach. I am finding that I like the half pages breaking up the blocked pages...seems to make the linear approach more creative and less "boring" to my eyes as I scan her (your) albums.

24. Shay Speer

2011-03-16 18:32:14 +0000

In regards to comment from Tracy B.: Actually, I used my camera - puts date on each pic I take. It really helped fill in the gaps, since I didn't write everything in a planner.

25. Michelle Whitlow

2011-03-20 00:53:34 +0000

Hi Ali - I have a quick question with regard to your Instax 210. Does it only take horizontal photos? I'm trying to decide which one I want to get (I actually want both!) & I like the bigger size, I think I'd use that more. But nowhere on the item description does it say the photo size or if it only does horizontal photos but one of the photo images shows a vertical one, too. Thanks!