Put Me In Coach, I'm Ready To Play

For March the One Little Word prompt was to take one little action. Take a step, no matter how small, toward whatever it is you are wanting for yourself this year.

My action was to go to a spinning class (also called cycling - my Mom thought it meant I was literally "spinning" in circles for the class). I've been thinking about it, without taking action, for way too long. I did it on Tuesday and loved it. I was nervous. I think it was a combination of inertia, motivation, and a pinch of fear. Would I pass out? Would it be way too hard?

The lady next to me was super helpful and kind. Hooray for kind people in exercise classes. And hooray for the community of people who just show up. We are all beginners at some point in time. I'll definitely be going back again.

The last song in the spinning class was John Fogerty's Centerfield with the chorus, "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play."

I felt that way about myself this week and want to savor that feeling and seek it out again.

In fact, here's a couple other actions I took this week that relate to bringing light to my life in one way or another:

ESTABLISHED A REGULAR DATE NIGHT | We've been talking about this (also for way too long) without taking action on it. A million things on our lists. A million different excuses and reasons why not - one of the biggest for me was not wanting our kids to have more time with a babysitter (who we love). But enough is enough. We really need some specific time set aside just for the two of us to reconnect. I feel excited about our upcoming date and am really looking forward to some time each week where it's just the two of us. We need to create some new memories and connections and not just rely on the ones from our past.

HIRED AN ASSISTANT | This is another thing I've considered for a long time and finally took action on it earlier this week. This is a really positive step for me and my business.

There's still time to join the community at One Little Word. Enrollment in this year-long class is ongoing and you have immediate access to the past month's prompts.

MONDO BEYONDO | SPRING CLEANING FOR THE SOUL

I also wanted to let you know that a new round of Jen and Andrea's Mondo Beyondo 5-week Dream Lab Workshop: Spring Cleaning For The Soul begins on Monday, April 4th. From the site:

Join seasoned dreamers Andrea and Jen as together we clear away the clutter and make space for the life we’ve always dreamed of! Over the course of five weeks, this special Spring Dream Lab will provide the structure you need to systematically clean out your physical space, calendar, commitments and connections for the sake of more freedom, authenticity and true joy.

Dream Lab participants will receive daily inspiration and instruction in the form of make-a-clearing challenges, heart-felt stories and the perfect prompts to get you moving in the right direction. This password-protected, community driven class offers the just right blend of insight and encouragement for dreamers interested in creating space for positive, personal change.

1. Michelle L

2011-04-01 22:34:09 +0200

That's so funny! I did my first spin class Wednesday. What a work out! I love that you can go at your own pace. I will definitely go back next Wednesday!

2. christen

2011-04-01 22:36:02 +0200

we have a date night once a week and i look forward to it all week! now i just need to sign up for an exercise class too.

3. Kristyn G

2011-04-01 22:50:45 +0200

we try to have date night once a month and it is always a wonderful evening--even if it is just dinner and a trip to the outlet mall for clothes for the kids :)

And, oh, to be your assistant! What a great job!
    Have a great weekend!

4. Heather Smithson

2011-04-01 22:52:45 +0200

I'm so happy for you!

5. Sarah

2011-04-01 23:25:24 +0200

hey :) nice work on the spin class! I used to do that 2x a week when I was out in newport..but I haven't found anything around here that has worked with my work schedule. Did you go through a a gym, or someplace else? I'd totally be interested! Just started yoga 2x this last week, and am already SO glad that I'm doing it! cheers!

6. Amy

2011-04-02 00:16:59 +0200

Thats so great - my hubby and I don't have kids but love our date nights. Life can get really busy and if we aren't careful we find that we really don't connect that much throughout the week. Date night gives us time to get away from the house and work and just talk. Would love to hear more about this as you guys progress. Our issue is $$$ and what to do. BUt we LOVE it. I hope you guys have a great time.

7. slmnontec

2011-04-02 01:17:22 +0200

We are less than 5 months from our 46th wedding anniversary. We were childless the first 22 years of marriage. I believe it is vitally important to put each other first, but very difficult to do when children are not only demanding, but also so wanted and so enjoyed. In a few short years children are on their own life paths and the house is empty -- what's built now as a couple will have rewards in the future. I've lived through it. Life can get very hard with financial, health or marital issues. We had to work at building our relationship. It's worth the time....

8. dawn

2011-04-02 01:42:59 +0200

Hi Ali, I love that picture of Simon and Chris. Tell him I said way to go!! He looks so big on that bike and the trees look beautiful and springy there. Congrats on your spinning class. I hear those are fun.

I have a couple ideas for your date nights which I'm so glad you are doing, we all need them. My husband and I just had our 16th anniversary today so this is what we do 3 times a year.

1. We go on daytime dates now that the kids are in school all day. It's kinda nice going out when your more awake and up and ready for the day versus night time when maybe you've had a long hard day already. Since I'm a stay at home mom he takes a half day or whole day it's different each time and we just spend the day together. By the time the kids are home 8 hours later we are happy and recharged and enjoyed our time together and are ready to take care of the kids by then. So no babysitter for us since they are at school. We sometimes hang here at home or go out to eat and shop. I don't know if Chris is able to take days off sometimes or half a day while Simon is at school and Anna is already with the sitter it would save you another sitter day and money.

2. My other idea that we do which we don't so much anymore but when they were little it was more often. They would spend the night at grandma's or my sister's house and we got the quiet house to ourselves and got take out and watch movies and we could sleep in go out and have breakfast then get the kids. This was only about 4 times a year and then about 2/3 times year in between those we go to the hotel close by that has exercise room and hot tub/ pool and nice restaurant and would stay there for a night. There is a mall and Borders and bowling close by so we do that too. It's just nice to be with my husband and have time to connect and no kids around. We don't need anything fancy or expensive either just quiet time.
    I hope these ideas help you. It's getting harder to do nightly things and weekend outings since our kids are pretten/tween/teenagers and they have sports, friends, dances etc to go to at these times. I love our daytime dates though. Have a great weekend.

9. Kat

2011-04-02 02:12:55 +0200

I love the way your Mum thought you were literally spinning... I'm trying to picture you as whirling dervish! :-)

10. Tere (Marie)

2011-04-02 02:42:19 +0200

I think we can get so lost in the day-to-day, focusing on the routine. It can be hard to make time for a date-night when our "to-do's" are overflowing. But it can be great to connect one-on-one, focus on why we fell in love. It's so important for a marriage and probably just as important to model what a relationship looks like to our kids. And taking time for you (us) is healthy. Enjoy the date night. Enjoy the spinning and the new assistant.

11. tracy

2011-04-02 03:15:35 +0200

I dont suppose you would consider a long distance assistant...say maybe a women from Ohio?! Tee Hee. That is great news and frankly, I wonder how you have ever done so much solo.

12. Queen Mary

2011-04-02 15:57:05 +0200

Good work Ali! I have found having a list of specifics incredibly useful to me! And God bless your mother -- when I first heard of spinning classes, I thought it was literally spinning wool into yarn!

13. madeline St onge

2011-04-02 15:57:44 +0200

Well I too started another exercise routine to add to my walking. I am doing an arobic video 5 times a week and it feels so good Ali. I should be seeing my OLW at the scales this week I hope.

YAY on the spinning class and the date nite

14. Debbie S.

2011-04-02 17:20:00 +0200

Feels so good to make the little tweaks and even better when they work. Hope you have fun on your date nights and get some calm from your assistant! :)

15. Lawrenbc

2011-04-02 17:54:24 +0200

applause!!! for scheduling a regular date night. I have to say, it's made a huge difference in our life and marriage to schedule date night at least once a month (something we've been doing for a few years now). I kind of waited around for my DH to schedule things for us but that was never going to happen, so i took the initiative and just started putting it on his calendar. It is a great way to reconnect and SO important. Keep making it a priority!

16. sarah

2011-04-02 18:21:02 +0200

i babysat for a family all through highschool + college (actually and beyond...18 years!). anyway through a good portion of those years they had a standard date night every 3 weeks (3-5 weeks depending on the dad's travel schedule). i always thought it was such a good example to their children - that mom + dad are taking time to spend time together to reconnect. i thought it showed that they were a loving couple.

awesome job on the spinning class!

17. Tamara

2011-04-02 19:47:23 +0200

spinning/date night/assistant...all awesome! i've really been working my word "less" this month too...the funny thing is that putting it into action has required me to do more...but has still resulted in some form of less.

18. LisaE

2011-04-03 04:34:20 +0200

Date nights are SO great! We have 4 kids between 12-19,so we don't need a sitter now, but we started "date night" years ago, and my husband and I still have a standing date every Friday night (we've been married 25 years). Sometimes we do dinner and movie, sometimes we got to a bookstore and get something to drink and I look at magazines while he looks at books, many times we run errands and get dessert, or we go on long walks. We cherish the time, and my husband makes sure he's home from business trips in time for our date night! Our kids always know what Friday nights are, and though they tease us sometimes, they think it's cool. :) Enjoy your time with your husband - it's important to connect as a couple so you can be better parents to your kids.

19. lee

2011-04-03 05:41:54 +0200

Congrats on taking all of those steps!! And kudos to you and Chris for making a date night. My fiance and I have work and life schedules that mean every week will be different for us, and yet having one night a week that we protect as much as possible for "our" night makes all the difference. Hope you have a wonderful time together! =)

20. Donna B

2011-04-03 08:16:46 +0200

Love that you are making room for date nights.

Part of my action for my OLW this year ("Sparkle") was also to institute a date night. It's been three years and it was time! We are doing 2 date nights per month and have set up the babysitter on a "regular" schedule so it is a done deal...no having to worry about scheduling every time.

Also, my husband & I take turns planning the dates. So far, his generally are dinner & a movie type dates, but I've been trying to plan things like a dinner/dance cruise, live theater, rock concerts, etc...

We are also going to plan a couple of "daytime" dates so we can do things like go hiking, etc...

Beyond tending to our marriage & relationship as a couple, I find that just that little getaway also renews my appreciation for my daughter and I come back ready to be a great mom again.

It also helps that we have a great babysitter that my daughter can't wait to play with! Enjoy and best wishes!

21. Judy

2011-04-03 19:12:46 +0200

OMG...wish I lived by you! I would love to be your assistant. Congrats to the lucky girl.

22. Radish

2011-04-04 03:41:56 +0200

RE: Date night. I can not tell you how important this is. You and your husband loving each other is the single most positive thing you can do for your children. And it is important, I feel, that they see you doing something together and that you derive pleasure from it, is most important. Good luck. I could take this up as a cause. You too look like you can have fun on your own.

23. Kimberly

2011-04-04 05:00:16 +0200

Ali - Very awesome and inspiring that you took the steps in going to spinning class. It is for sure a challenge to take these steps, however I love you have provided this safe space for all of us to share and encourage one another in the OLW class, as well as on your blog! :)
    Also, as for your date night action -- One idea. My husband and I always do something on our monthly anniversary! :) Some think we are strange, however it is only once a month, but something we make time for. Alan and I alternate planning the date (as to have a variety of activities, as well as not have only one person with the added task). We have done as much as an entire day away to ordering pizza and and playing scrabble.

24. Stacy

2011-04-04 23:36:49 +0200

I'm so glad you had a positive experience at your first spin/cycle class! It is one of my favorites and actually gave me the confidence to start running. I think I look forward to seeing my spinning friends more than I look forward to the class...they are definitely my motivation for going when I just dont' really feel like it!

I'd like to thank you for the one little word concept, Ali. This is my second year that I've selected a word and tried to incorporate it in my life, and only good things have come from it. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

25. Currently | Ali Edwards

2011-04-06 12:01:12 +0200

[...] drew this up for Jen about a week before I took action on those couple of things I mentioned last week. I am changing those tapes and I am opening my mouth – moving forward [...]