She | April 2011

SHE wakes up happy just about everyday and almost always asks where Simon is first thing.

SHE has started to have opinions about her clothes. We are now hanging clothes in her closet as "outfits" so she can easily pick out one whole package -  skirt, top, sweater or pants, top, sweater, etc. The bottom rod is just the right height for her to choose an outfit. It's super cute to see her little outfits all in a row and watch her look through them and say "pretty."

SHE wants to do everything herself. She especially wants to be able to get into the car, sit in her seat, and buckle herself in (she can definitely get in the car and get into her seat on her own but she can't quite manage the buckle - she gets SO mad). "ANNA DO IT!"

SHE loves imaginative play. If you've never had a kid that didn't do imaginative play you might not recognize how amazingly awesome it is to witness. She bakes cookies in her kitchen while chatting away, she creates scenarios for Dora & Diego and the Playmobile people. Every time I hear her creating a conversation my heart feels good.

SHE says "yes, please" more often than not - two of the best words in the English language.

SHE wants to go with Daddy to visit the Capitol. The other morning she was sitting on my lap for breakfast while I was reading the paper. On the opinion page was an editorial cartoon with a picture of the Capitol. She points to it and says "Capitol." Yep, things are a little different around here.

SHE cracks up at stuff. She finds lots of things funny and laughs with her whole body.

SHE is starting to pick up some of Simon's behaviors or at least imitating him. These are not necessarily things we want her to be adopting - upset noises and facial expressions of disappointment and distress at the dinner table most specifically.

SHE loves to look at books and has gotten some of them down. My current favorite to hear her "read" is Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

SHE says "mine" a lot.

SHE still makes that wonderful noise when she eats something she really enjoys. It's goes something like "mmmmmmmmmmmmmm" and it's totally involuntary - we always know when she really, really likes something she's eating because her little "mmmmmm" motor starts running. The other night when eating spaghetti she said, "This is tasty!"

SHE is an awesome little two-year-old.

1. Debbie S.

2011-04-14 09:57:24 -0700

Tasty! That's so cute! :) So fun...love girls. I have 3...such a gift.

2. tania willis

2011-04-14 10:13:13 -0700

i love this post. :)

3. Jolynn

2011-04-14 10:15:34 -0700

AWWWWW I loved reading this post. Made me remember when my Tay was little. Now I'm planning her wedding and think where has the time gone!

4. Nancy

2011-04-14 10:25:51 -0700

Thanks for sharing with us Ali! SHE is adorable and sounds like a lot of fun!

5. Nancy L

2011-04-14 10:34:36 -0700

I love this post. I have a 6 wk old granddaughter and am enjoying watching every moment, every new activity. Can't wait for this stage again.

6. madeline St onge

2011-04-14 11:51:31 -0700

She is a dolly Ali
    Theres your journaling for the LO to go with that photo. Cute

7. Paula G

2011-04-14 12:24:28 -0700

SHE is beuautiful, may God bless her every day of her life.

8. Freda

2011-04-14 14:34:21 -0700

I really loved hearing about She and it has left me smiling. The only problem is that it makes me a little sad I never had a daughter, but that is silly as I have 4 fine sons and 7 grandchildren (4 of them girls) Thanks for sharing!

9. Rhonda

2011-04-14 14:48:21 -0700

Lovely to have such a sweet girl. Make sure you get her choosing her clothes and her yummy noises and her reading on video! They change so quickly and then those little things are so hard to remember years later.

10. KimD

2011-04-14 15:13:29 -0700

My son does the same thing when he eats and it always makes me smile. He's turning 5 tomorrow and I know the preschool teachers were trying to get him to eat quietly but I don't even think he realizes it!

11. Dawn

2011-04-14 16:26:58 -0700

I totally understand about going from a non-imaginative play child (my son with autism is 8 1/2--I have watched your son and mine grow up together). My typical 4 year old girl is AMAZING when it comes to the things she thinks up...she even does different baby voices for her three favorite baby dolls. As a once over-the-top imaginative child, it is really great to see.

12. Amy L

2011-04-14 18:08:43 -0700

So sweet, Ali.

13. Melinda Kirk

2011-04-14 18:23:20 -0700

She is ready for 'baking' cupcakes the way I used when I was little:

2 cups of cottonwool balls
    1/2 cup of confetti
    mix well in a large bowl
    spoon into patty pans
    bake for as long as it takes to make tea :)

I used to LOVE it!

14. Olessia Prescott

2011-04-14 18:34:40 -0700

Hi Ali,

I love the way you see it and say it the way everyone who is reading having feeling of you been talking about there own kids, life and feelings....
    You have a great gift,
    Thanks for shearing.

15. Tam

2011-04-14 20:07:04 -0700

Adorable post about ur little girl. Enjoyed reading about her

16. Tiffany

2011-04-14 21:18:29 -0700

My Addy just turned two last week. So many similarities to Anna.I am so grateful that you've inspired me to record and remember the everyday moments that occur in our family. I have a son who's three as well as my two year old. I view everyday with them as a blessing. I know how short lived it will be and am extra attentive (thanks to you) about capturing our life as it is right now (the good, the bad and the ugly...one phrase..."poop and potty training"...need I say more! It's all good, it's all fun, it's all fleeting and it's all worth remembering.

17. Solgunn

2011-04-15 04:45:07 -0700

Loved reading this post.Thanks for sharing.

18. Rebecca

2011-04-15 06:32:20 -0700

I know what you're going through with suddenly having a child do imaginative play. I vividly recall taking both kids to Gymboree with Noah's home therapist - she dealt with him (not easy) while my 2 year old Maya played and sang and do everything developmental for a two year old. It was SO healing, as Noah had been dx'd on the spectrum at 18 mo so I missed all that. But I got to experience it with Maya, and NO ONE is more appreciative than mothers who didn't get to experience it the first time around. Such a gift.

19. GME

2011-04-15 11:41:04 -0700

So sweet! And oh, so TWO! :)

20. Melissa K

2011-04-15 22:35:23 -0700

Gosh, we live far apart but definitely have some of these things in common! My Ryan turned two a month ago and has so many endearing behaviors of his own. The one that made me smile is the mannerisms picked up from an older sibling, my daughter teaches him plenty of rotten dinner time behavior.

My personal favorite? I had no idea JUST how funny burps were until I had kids and watched them crack up over them :)

21. Jo

2011-04-16 02:47:41 -0700

Love these statements. Will you put these onto a layout?

22. debbie mcintyre

2011-04-17 10:11:04 -0700

I adore Anna. It's just that simple.
    mac

23. Lousette

2011-04-19 03:03:19 -0700

She sounds like a little blessing and I can totally relate. My eldest daughter Simone (now 13) is also on the spectrum and much like Simon didn't engage in imaginative play etc. Then when she was 4 I had Hailey (now 9) and oh my gosh .... she was SO different. I thought she was super brainy when at a young age she put her little arms up for me to get her clothes on. Simone never ever did that, and I don't think I ever realised what it would be like to have a second child that is not ASD.

They are completely different, each with their own brand of specialness.

I love reading your posts about Anna and how she interacts with Simon, it strikes a real chord with me.

24. Karen Kish

2011-04-21 21:11:09 -0700

She is a great subject. As I write all the stories of my family life and the lives of my parents and my brothers and sister and all their families I see just how fun and funny and unique and loving we are. I reread the journals I kept and wish I had access to blogs and all the creativity that each of you bring in your replies- what a thing this internet is. I am 57 today and so fortunate to be here to experience the word explosion.

25. Nicole

2012-01-19 11:56:47 -0800

aw, Love your list. My little man will be 2 in Feb and he is pretty much doing the same. Last month he started giving me fits when he didn't want to wear a specific article of clothing so now I let him pick his own clothes out! LOL. It's wierd having a little person pick out his own clothes :) BUT I LOVE MOTHERHOOD!