The Striped PJ's

The other day I was folding Simon's PJ's and I was thinking about how much he loves them.

One pair of stripes. Two pairs. Three pairs. Four pairs. Oh yes, there's more.

They've seen holidays and everydays and vacations and airplanes and so many movies and breakfasts and maybe even a few dinners.

Some pairs are just about ready to be retired and a couple new ones have been added to the rotation.

He loves to put them on in the evening and will wear them as long as possible on the weekends.

Only the long sleeve and long pants sets - no short sleeves and shorts for him.

Sometimes I wonder if he'll want to keep wearing these into adulthood - lucky for him they actually make them in adult sizes.

Here's to loving something in your own life as much as Simon loves his PJ's.

Here's to celebrating all the little stuff that makes up the bulk of our lives.

GO SIMON GO.

What's a simple something in your own life, or that of someone you love, that you encounter just about everyday that you could document today?

1. Iman

2011-05-11 22:50:28 +0800

Sneakers. I encounter them in different places in the house more than I'd like. Shoes go by the door. Everything has it's place-or so I think. When I run into a sneaker in a place it's really not supposed to be, I get a gentle reminder that they're kids and they could care less because they're too busy having fun. Sigh and a smile.

2. jendcnguyen

2011-05-11 22:51:44 +0800

Oh I have that something...LOL. My 4 year old son needs to "tuck" his long pj pants into his socks ALL THE TIME, EVERYDAY. After he stopped wearing baby sleepers at 2, he had to tuck the bottom of pants into his socks all the time. Sometimes he has to wear his tucked pj pants under his khakis or jeans because he refuses to take his pjs off! He'll even ask to tuck his jeans into his socks. And he can only wear long sleeves too or at least have a sweater on over his t-shirts. We don't know what we're going to do this summer! So I know how you feel about only long sleeve pj & pants. LOL. =)

3. Kirsten J

2011-05-11 23:16:14 +0800

Oh my...there is nothing sweeter than a cuddly kid in Hanna's.

4. Michelle Elaine

2011-05-11 23:28:43 +0800

Grandpa got my kids a game called "Shut the Box". It's a quick game that we have to play at least once. Either during breakfast before school or after school with a snack. I think I document that today!

5. Jessica B

2011-05-11 23:49:24 +0800

My mom and I made my daughter receiving blankets for her before she was born. They aren't anything fancy just flannel blankets surged around the edges. I never thought about documenting those blankets. Thank you for the great idea. We don't go anywhere with out them. She loves them!

6. anneberit

2011-05-12 00:15:47 +0800

I love the look of those striped PJ's, they sure look comfy. I wish I could find something just as cute here in Norway, for my boy that also love to spend the weekend in his sleep wear :D

7. Rebekah Pontow

2011-05-12 00:21:10 +0800

Me - Coffee & my workout...everyday, same routine, must have it!
    Daughter - Disney movies...Toy Story, Tangled, or pretty much any Pixar movie out there right now.
    My Husband - Soda at dinner! He's actually went cold turkey off of caffeine recently, I thought I'd never see the day! LOL

8. Leslie P

2011-05-12 00:25:11 +0800

Love, love, love stripey jammies! With two kids 2 years apart, our washing machine is always swirling with stripey Hanna's in 3 different sizes. One night as we left for dinner the jammies were still drying, so I asked our 3 year old to tell the babysitter which were hers and which were her 1 year old brothers. We came home to the 3 year old asleep in her brother's new, very snug size 80s. I almost woke her up I laughed so hard...clever little thing was playing a trick on us!

9. Sarah

2011-05-12 00:40:39 +0800

I encounter lego people everyday in some of the most random places. I have three boys, so its no wonder. I do really need to take photos of these tiny people in my life - especially the indiana-jones-gun holding Jenny Wessley hiding out in my jewerly box the other day. Who knows what the story was there!!!!

10. Kristi

2011-05-12 01:01:03 +0800

Its impossible to quantify how much I adore Simon! If I was going to document something that's a constant day in day out and year in and year out, it would have to be my backpack. We've been all over together! It's practically a part of me!

11. Raylene

2011-05-12 01:21:42 +0800

Even though my kiddies are 32 and 30 now, they lived in blanket sleepers! Anyone know what those are? They were only available in sizies up to 6X so sadly, they grew out of them . . . my son loved to slide down the stairs on him tummy in them . . . in about 1.5 seconds! Yay for jammies!!!

12. Cheryl

2011-05-12 01:37:11 +0800

My grandson Chase loves his Hanna's too. His favorite are his 'Batman' jammies (Halloween bats). He'd wear his jammies 24/7 if he was allowed to.

I've scanned a number of his Hanna's, but I love your photo of the stacked jammies ... am going to have to take a similar photo. I do want to document his love of Hanna's. :)

13. slmnontec

2011-05-12 03:20:33 +0800

A simple thing I encounter almost every day are a vase of fresh flowers around the house. My husband likes to cut them and place them in strategic spots. Sometimes they take my breath away as a bunch of orangish-peach tulips did this week. We often give him gifts of interesting vases and containers just so he can be creative. He has a delightful artistic touch in this area. I will document this!

14. Carrie S.

2011-05-12 03:35:10 +0800

My husband's favorite color is red. About 3/4 of his wardrobe is red. His Jeep is red. Our living room and one wall in our bedroom is red. I've done a layout of all the red things in his life, and it might be time for another. Thanks for the inspiration, Ali.

15. shalini

2011-05-12 04:45:23 +0800

Ali, It is so wonderful to see that you blog about little things that happen to be very important details. And I say this because I think of documenting them and then the thought gets lost in the next planned activity of life.
    I guess, for me it would be documenting my kids art and the stories that they weave around it which is not always visible to the adult, trained, mature eyes.

16. Denise

2011-05-12 05:16:54 +0800

I'm not sure they ever outgrow the love of fun PJ's. My 19 yr. old son was wearing his Transformer PJ's just a few days ago. He came down from his bedroom, we had company, and they just stared at his pants, and he said "What, they're Transformers!" Like Duh, doesn't everybody WANT a pair of PJ's like these!!! Every year at Christmas my kids{18 & 19} STILL get PJ's on Christmas Eve. Fun, funky, PJ's... there is noting better!!

17. Anna Aspnes

2011-05-12 05:16:56 +0800

Luke's right there with Simon on the PJ front.

18. Mary in IL

2011-05-12 05:32:29 +0800

I love flip flops, and the weather to wear them too. But even in the winter I can't wait to take off my shoes and socks to wear one of my MANY pairs of flip flops around he house!

19. Jana

2011-05-12 05:35:43 +0800

My now grown daughters (22 & 26) love to tease me about my morning ritual of sitting in my favorite chair, reading the newspaper with my cup of coffee. They tease because the chair I sit in is what my youngest daughter started out in as a toddler once she moved out of her high chair - it's a chair/stool/step-ladder combo. Perfect for perching high enough to see all of the paper at once, laid out on the table top. They joke I'm sitting in a kiddie chair (and it is terrific for visiting kids too!) The funniest thing is that this was the chair my youngest chose to sit in all thru high school even, at dinnertime at our small kitchen table & she's 5'9"! We'd occasionally pull the other kitchen chair over for her to sit at a normal height for special occasions... time to document this...

20. Camille

2011-05-12 12:20:55 +0800

I love keeping up with Simon and the things he loves. Loving watching Anna getting big too. My 15 year old daughter carries her ipod everywhere. She can't use it at school, but she brings it there also. Not long ago she came to me very upset because it fell in the bathtub. We had to replace it or life would not have been bearable. Her favorite thing to do after school is to grab something to drink,ipod in hand and head for the swingset. She might die if she knows I've told you this. She could swing for hours listening to her ipod. Thanks for the nudge. Tomorrow I will get pictures of her swinging with her ipod.

21. Brandi

2011-05-12 12:23:37 +0800

Ali, I totally love this post about Simon's pjs! It completely inspired me to run into my son's room and snap a photo of his pile of ripped jeans-about 6 pairs that I've meaning to toss, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. I snapped the photo and wrote about his daily life right now-full of rough play and little boy imagination with his Superheroes...he scoots around all day on one knee (his left to be exact) and all his "scooting" results in giant holes in his jeans. Thank you for motivating me to capture such a "little thing." It really is the little things that make me smile:)

22. deborah

2011-05-12 12:33:09 +0800

all three of my kids love the striped pjs as well. and yes they have to be the long sleeve pants variety. my girls have started to get into other designs but still the same style. my poor boy the youngest of the three ends up with the hand me down sets and rarely gets any new ones of his own.
    we get them at both the childrens place and hannah anderson usually, every once in awhile i pick up a pair else where.

23. Gypsy Chaos

2011-05-12 12:54:56 +0800

The constants --
    We moved into our house when my sons were five years old. They wore cute little sneakers. Those sneakers took up residence in the family room near the coffee table. That was fine - they weren't really in the way and making a five year old climb the stairs {AGAIN gee mom} to get shoes every day wasn't worth the hassle.

Those sons are now 18 years old. Son #1 wears size 13; Son #2 wears size 14. And their shoes still live near the coffee table. They're more obvious but still aren't in the way

Recently established constants, also son-related:
    Son #1 plops his keys, his wallet and his sunglasses on the kitchen island. His backpack, volleyball equipment bag, and a small knapsack fill the empty space next to a cabinet.

Son #2 laid claim to the half wall between the eating area and family room - keys, sunglasses, wallet, and random stuff. His backpack, volleyball bag and random items of clothing take over the space near the love seat.

sigh. ... college beckons come August. : (

24. ElizabethJ

2011-05-13 13:47:07 +0800

Constants for me...apart from scrapbooking...uggs to keep my toes warm now winter is approaching...love them.
    I miss the Lego men appearing in the strangest places..even the oatmeal container...what was that about?

25. Susan Dickie

2011-05-24 23:33:28 +0800

My little one loves Hanna Anderson PJs so much that he asks to go to the "jimmy jam" store when we are in Maine during the summer - outlet store in Kittery. That's high praise from a 7 yr old who hates to shop :)