Week In The Life 2011 | Bringing It All Together (with Video Overview)

week in the life 2011 | completed album

Hello completed Week In The Life album. I'm so happy to put you away on my shelf.

This year I decided to put together a short (13 min) video that walks you through all the pages of my 2011 album. I talk about some of the decisions I ended up making this year, general observations, etc. I'm hoping this will make it a bit more "real" for those of you that like to see a bit more beyond the photos and written words.

Week In The Life 2011 | Completed Album Overview from Ali Edwards on Vimeo.

Over the last few days I've been working on the 9-pocket divided page protectors that go between the spreads for each day of my week. That means I've been trimming photos, creating small cards, cutting up some pattern paper, etc.

week in the life 2011 | completed album

I cut up the Hambly Little Circles Overlay and added the Ormolu 2-Day Hooray Days of the Week Button Embellishments. On the back I added small circle numbers from BananaFish Studio.

week in the life 2011 | completed album

I also ended up adding in some cards using stamps from my different Technique Tuesday sets. If you've watched the video above already you probably heard me talking about those. You'll also see them in the photos below.

OVERALL OBSERVATIONS

• One of the things I kept asking myself as I was bringing all the components together is how can I simplify this process? What I realized is that I'd really done most of the work already - the words were documented, the photos were taken and printed - and I really just felt like leaving it at that. You might notice as you watch the video or view the photos below that I decided to just add the Daily Sheets right into the album. For me it was the decision that seemed to make the most sense. I simply added a few more page protectors to the album to accommodate those sheets.

• I'm pretty sure that next year this will be a completely digital project for me and will be printed in book format. It felt a little bit crazy to me to be cutting out all those smaller photos just to add them to the divided page protector. We'll see. Maybe I'll feel different next year. It's important to me to allow myself to evolve, to allow projects to evolve over time, etc. And like I've said all along, there's no right or wrong way to bring this all together.

• I collected way less stuff this year than I have in past years. I think that might have something to do with Project Life and how much I already add there each week.

• I'm glad I did it in the summer, but I think I like it better at other times of the year. Not sure why that is exactly - maybe it's because I long for a different pace in the summer and this just felt like a lot of work. Maybe a summer Week In The Life needs to be modified for the pace of the season...

• I'm still planning to put together a little video from the times I took it during the week. I'll post that when it's completed.

2011 COMPLETED ALBUM

week in the life 2011 | completed album
IMG_5647
IMG_5648
IMG_5649
week in the life 2011 | completed album

SUPPLIES

And here's a list of all the posts for 2011.

2011 PRE-PLANNING + BASICS

2011 DAILY PHOTOS AND WORDS

COMPLETED PAGES & HOW TO

If you'd like to see links from past year's go here.

A really big thank you again for joining me on this journey. Whether this was your first year or fifth, I so appreciate your participation and interest in this project and I hope you enjoyed the process (or are enjoying the process as you continue bringing it all together).

Don't forget about the free Week In The Life Community at Big Picture Classes which will remain open indefinitely. I'll be checking in there on and off and am happy to answer questions over there or here on my blog. There's also a Flickr Group if you'd like to share your work there.

SHARE YOUR ALBUM

In addition you're invited to share a link to your completed album below. Please remember to link to a specific post on your blog (vs. a general link to your blog) that shares your completed project.

1. Tania

2011-08-15 10:12:39 +0200

Ali, I am always filled with gratitude for your openess and ability to share and inspire with your projects. Yet again I am left smiling watching your vimeo recording. Listening to your reflection on the products used and end result is awesome.

2. bibliotecaria

2011-08-15 14:30:28 +0200

http://librarydayinthelife.pbworks.com/w/page/42017739/Round-7,-July-25th-through-31st-2011 You might find this interesting. A whole week in the life approach taken by many librarians.

3. Michele H.

2011-08-15 19:41:51 +0200

Ali- I just had to tell you that the feeling of completing this album has me a little overwhelmed. I didn't think I could love a project as much as I love this one. I participated last year but didn't fully complete it and my goal this year was to get it done:)

Thank you so much for this! I will forever treasure this album.

4. Megan

2011-08-15 22:49:34 +0200

This project is so cool! I wish I could have been a fly in the room to see exactly how this came together. Thank you so much for sharing!

5. Anya

2011-08-16 06:15:28 +0200

Loved this project very much! yes I did want do get it done at the end, but SO glad I DID IT! Thanks for awesome posts for WITL project all along!

6. Colleen

2011-08-16 19:14:54 +0200

Thanks Ali for sharing this concept and your process with us. This is my second year doing it and I love having the two finished albums on my shelf. I look forward to doing it again in 2012!

Here's my 2011 album:

7. Tere

2011-08-17 17:50:54 +0200

I need to be locked up for about 2 days to work on this....sigh...I've started a many AE projects and I hope to finish this one!

That said, I did prefer the summer WITL. There seems to be more "activity" and daylight to capture. During the school year there is a good 8 hours that I'm at work and kids are at school, I tend to have limited pictures/stories to fill the pages.

Thanks for your continued support.

8. Libby

2011-08-17 18:02:08 +0200

This is wonderful, I love how your album turned out, and I love that you made the video to walk us through it. I didn't make it through the entire week, but I am so inspired from this post - I want to do it and make an album! I don't think I can wait until 2013 though so I might have to venture out there without you. :-) Thank you for sharing!

9. Steph

2011-08-18 06:19:29 +0200

Dear Ali,
    thanks for showing how you put your album together. I love it that you are not doubling up. I had been stalling putting it all together but by the end of your video I had already printed out 6 pages!
    Thanks again,
    Stephxx

10. Alexis A.

2011-08-18 14:48:26 +0200

I just want to say thank you again for so much inspiration! This year was my first time to do this and I thoroughly enjoyed myself (as well as got soooo tired of doing the album I couldn't wait to finish it, lol). :)

11. tiffany h.

2011-08-18 18:34:37 +0200

I just love your work and your philosophy on memory keeping! Thank you so very much for sharing the details of your life/family with us. You mentioned that next year you might do a digital version. Any chance you'll be creating a photo book template? I loved the one that you created for CK at Shutterfly (Everyday Life). I loved just being able to drop in my photos on the various templates, adding some journaling and calling it done. It couldn't have been simpler and its' one of our favorite albums to look at. :-)

12. jenn

2011-08-24 04:38:49 +0200

I still keep coming back to see what new ones are added. love seeing all the approaches and sooo much creativity!

13. Kathy Farnsworth

2011-08-30 19:04:24 +0200

My first WITL album is finished and I have to say I am so, so pleased with it! I've never done a digital project before, but once I got started with your digital overlays.. I really loved it. It was a very intense week of documenting our life and another very intense amount of time to put it all together, but SO worth it. Thank you for this project and all the terrific tutorials and support on your blog during the WITL project. I will definitely continue this project each year. Already can't wait to see the comparisons from year to year.

14. Megan Renfree

2011-08-31 01:37:37 +0200

Hi Ali, I finally got my album complete a few weekends ago when I got together with some friends. Its now all up on my blog. This was my first year doing it, and I have to say its been my favourite thing I have done this year. I have by no means been original and have followed your footsteps completely, but am really really happy with how its come out and my boys have already been flipping through it. I'm already looking forward to doing a similar album when you do your December daily as I look forward to doing the project in our summertime.

15. Trisha Morton

2011-09-01 00:14:37 +0200

I finally finished my album from July and wanted to share it. You can see it here on my blog. It was a great project and I really enjoyed what I learned about myself and my style while participating. I look forward to doing this again next year! Thank you!

16. Stacy B

2011-09-01 20:39:32 +0200

I love this project. I look forward to it. It is a lot of work, but when I look back to the 2008, 2010 versions of the project, I remember exactly why I do it. Thanks for the inspiration (and templates), Ali!

17. Kimberly

2011-09-02 02:48:54 +0200

Ali - I FINALLY finished my first Week in the life project and I am thrilled to have participated. I hesitated, then I didn't take many photos, then, I didn't have time to put it together... however, seeing it completed on my desk makes me very proud and excited to do it again next year. I'm also aching to start my 365 project again! Thank you for continuing to push me to do better, in memory keeping, and in memory making. You are truly amazing.

18. cinnibonbon

2011-09-09 00:28:43 +0200

Stunning. I loved that you showed us on video--this album just comes to life in this format-- it's so inspiring this way!! I've never made one, but now I just have too--what a great week for me to start too. Thank you for the motivation!!!

I have to ask. How do you video tape this---I mean with your iphone, a standard video recorder or off your camera? This will be more of a daunting task for me, thats why I ask!!! Thanks bunches...totally loved this.

19. Jeanette

2011-09-14 18:13:16 +0200

Oh my goodness! Super crafty. Makes me want to go back and do scrapbooking. Yours look sooo good and inspiring.

20. Nicole

2011-11-13 19:41:44 +0100

Love the Week in the Life project! Photos of my finished book are here:

21. Jamie

2012-01-05 05:19:48 +0100

I love your album! I watched your video and think i may have been saying album wrong all these years! LOL I always pronounced it Al-Bum not Al-Blum

22. Clare Lloyd

2012-02-11 10:58:19 +0100

I have just started scrapbooking and found this link from another website. I love the idea of a week in the life. I watched your video and found it really inspiring. I have just completed a december diary and found that hard with so many days. I am now starting project 12 where we focus on 1 month. As I am new I am looking out for ideas and I think the main messgae I have picked up is keep it simple. I have tried to add too many embellishments and got in a fluster. I like the clean look with little details that you have picked out. Thank you for sharing

23. Week In The Life | Ali Edwards

2012-03-10 23:37:19 +0100

[...] Week In The Life 2011 | Bringing It All Together (with Video Overview) [...]

24. Planning For Week In The Life 2013 | Ali Edwards

2013-08-30 17:41:35 +0200

[...] 2011 | View completed album here. [...]

25. Bri

2013-09-02 00:22:19 +0200

I'm sure you get asked this a lot, but I've searched your site and haven't been able to find the answer. Where did you get the cutting mat in the photos and video above? I love it!