I'm in progress on bringing all my content together for my Week In The Life album.

I'm working at a bit of a different pace since it's summer time and I'm taking advantage of the good weather around here for some quality family time.

Today I put together a video tutorial that shows how I work with the digital layered templates in Photoshop Elements (I use Photoshop CS5 but do my tutorials in Elements). Check that out here:

Week In The Life 2011 | Layered Template Tutorial from Ali Edwards on Vimeo.

I'm happy to try to answer any questions you might have about working with the layered templates. Feel free to leave them in the comment section of this post.

Here's some of the things links I mentioned in the video above:

PRODUCT LINKS

ADDITIONAL LINKS

Hope you are having a chance to get started on bringing your content together.

Remember to embrace the photos and stories you have rather than the ones you don't.

1. cinback

2011-08-03 22:32:15 -0500

So, I was away during "the week" and have two Scrapbook on the Road projects going, but I still plan on doing the WITL project later this month. Thanks again for the inspiration!

2. Damiane Lucas

2011-08-03 23:15:10 -0500

Is anyone else having difficulty with the audio on Ali's tutorial? It's too low, and I have the volume slider all the way up.

Also, I'm on a PC computer, and I can't get the photo inside of the template. I pressed the "option" key and toggled between the layers as stated by Ali. I wonder if she's using a Mac Computer. Maybe this is why I am struggling.

This is my first "Week in the Life" and I would like to have success in this project.

3. Amy Wathen

2011-08-04 00:42:38 -0500

I am on a PC and this is how I do it. Have your photo layer right above the mask layer and just do CTRL-G. Then you can position your photo layer however you want in the mask. Hope this helps.

4. Gina

2011-08-04 07:50:53 -0500

Hi Ali, love the video and soo excited about putting it all together! this is my second year doing this and even though i am not as happy with my photo taking for the week I am super excited to put the album together!!
    I wanted to ask you what is the name of the Katie Pertiet packet for the words that you used as an example on the Monday opening page, i think it said "i'll always love you". I really like the way those look.
    Thanks again and so excited to get going on this!!

5. Heather B

2011-08-04 09:18:28 -0500

Ali - thinking about diving into 8.5x11 for my album - I really like the look better in this template. Do you print your own or where do you print? Most places don't seem to print 8.5x11 - although mPix does.... anywhere else that's a little less $$? I love mPix quality, but it's not cheap.... Shutterfly & Costco etc. seem to do 8x10.

I have a photo printer & paper... but I also have two grandmothers who usually get a copy of my digi pages.

Thanks!

H

6. Danielle

2011-08-04 09:56:14 -0500

Hi Ali,
    I have a question concerning your layered templates (not these though). I downloaded the ones from Designers Digitals. They are the ones with the sentiment tags. I have a question concerning how to change the date. They say 2010. I did it successfully when there was a white background (title page). But with the gray, its not working. Any help would really be appreciated.

thanks,
    Dani

7. robin

2011-08-04 10:51:10 -0500

hi Ali
    I have never done any digital scrapbooking before, but it looks like fun
    I have paintshopphoto proX on my computer and really want to give this a try!
    Do you have some samples we can download so we can experiment with it, before buying a lot of stuff and being unable to use it ?
    I really like your journaling boxes and overlays

8. hannahk

2011-08-04 11:14:55 -0500

Hi Ali

can you recommend some good quality white digi papers? I'm having trouble finding one that is not too grey, flat or over dominated by texture. It's seems to be pretty hard to beat the physical quality of basil and AC cardstock but I really want to stick to digi this year. Thanks :) Hx

9. rini

2011-08-04 13:01:27 -0500

Wonderful tutorial Ali, will try to make it Digital this year!! I still remember the first album I did way back in Dallas....lots of cutting. Love this one, easy and simple. Thanks.

10. tara pollard pakosta

2011-08-04 14:22:32 -0500

where do you get the pages printed for your album? do you then add stuff to it that isn't digital? I just ordered my prints at Costco today, now to drive the 30 minutes to pick them up! At least I did all my journaling! I don't have a base for my album yet though. I wish I would have purchased these and done it this way!
    tara

11. Christina

2011-08-04 16:49:56 -0500

Ali is there a flickr site this year with peoples contribution in this project as there was last year? I realise that some are adding their pages to Big Picture.

12. Nina

2011-08-05 00:58:54 -0500

Hi, Ali! Thanks so much for the wonderful inspiration you always provide. I just wanted to share that I printed out your free daily sheets onto 4 x 6 sized white cardstock and inserted them into the existing diary I already have. I was so happy to capture this week. Thank you.

Here is the link if you want to see:

*hugs*
    Nina

13. Toni

2011-08-05 03:56:59 -0500

Hi Ali

Great video and some neat extra ideas - Thank you.

When resizing the boxes - do you have things 'snapped to grid'? Still learning how that works. Just wondering how you make sure the boxes are a uniform size if you have two or do you always duplicate them? For example if we made one of the long boxes into two or three for photos instead.

Also I am flipping my templates to landscape and it has worked really well for the daily sheets but I am struggling a little with the 'share your story' templates when I flip them. Because then they are landscape which worked fine for the photos but I quite like the idea of some 'portrait' photos and portrait journalling. So after flipping the template to make a landscape page I am then rotating the boxes but then obviously the fit is different across the page. Seems to fit a 4x2 layout rather than a 3x3. Do you make them a particular standard photo size?

I have tried selecting the box and tab layers (not the words) and locking them togther and rthen resizing them to fit better across the page but I wondered if there was a quicker way. Or whether I should just stick with the size you have made and leave uneven white spaces top and bottom vs the sides. I'm still fairly new to this and playing around with it all to learn. But I would definitely appreciate shortcuts if there are some :)

So many questions I hope this made sense.

Thanks

14. HannaP

2011-08-05 04:32:51 -0500

Hi Ali, Thanks for always bringing me inspiration!
    I just bought the layered template 8.5x11 week in the life 2010, and it said on designerdigitals that you should easily be able to change the date, but I can´t seem to understand how to do that...
    I mean for example the little square called "sentiment tab", on one of the pages. I would like to keep it on my layout and maybe have som own text in it but the only thing I understand is how to take it all away by clicking on the "eye", but then it is gone all together and that I dont want...Is it not possible to edit or remove just the text and keep the square?
    Hope you can figure out what I mean despite my not so perfect english...
    Thanks,
    Hanna, Sweden

15. Kay Gregory-Clark

2011-08-05 10:21:59 -0500

Hi Ali. Thanks for all you do! I have most of the freebies you've so generously offered, but when I tried to use the download links on a couple of the Welcome Page items, they don't work. Wondering if these are permanently down? I didn't think so since you are referencing them now. I'm particularly interested in the Weekend Creative handwritten days.

16. Tawnda Andrews

2011-08-05 11:44:06 -0500

I was wondering how you plan to use the "share the story" template? One for each day or one for the week?

LOVE this, I've been doing it since 2008 and I love seeing how our life changes from year to year and it's so fun to see what normal is and how much it changes!

Tawnda

17. Roberta

2011-08-05 13:21:26 -0500

LOVED the video Ali and even though I do not have or use photoshop I was still inspired and learned so much about how to assemble my album now. I was a bit overwhelmed come Monday and I had to start editing my photos, etc. But now I've adapted my publisher documents because I know how to use it and did not want to get discouraged and give up. I kept it real simple and I'm really happy with the end result. I blogged about it here if anyone is interested in how a publisher file can work for this album. Fondly, Roberta

18. Abby P.

2011-08-05 15:47:03 -0500

I surprised myself by diving into this project and enjoyed every day of it! Thanks for doing it and sharing your process! One question unrelated to the project itself: what lens are you using on your camera these days? I love your photos! Thanks!

19. Michele M.

2011-08-08 15:37:00 -0500

Hi Ali! Thank you for a great tutorial--seriously watching the video and hitting "pause" so I can do the same thing, step-by-step with you as this is my first adventure into digital scrapbooking! I do have a question for you though--I have an older version of PSE (version 5 I think--old, I know!) and the font used for the little date is one I don't have. I have not figured out how to change it or substitute a different one. Right now, nothing shows up in the text box. Any suggestions for how to go about fixing that? Thanks!

20. Abby P.

2011-08-08 15:50:24 -0500

Sorry to be a camera equipment pest...I meant to ask you what Canon you're using too these days...

21. Week In The Life | Ali Edwards

2011-08-11 14:42:54 -0500

[...] Week In The Life 2011 | Working With The Layered Template Album (Video Tutorial) [...]

22. cars

2013-05-30 09:35:17 -0500

Car shopping is stressful. Now that there are hundreds of
    makes and models to choose from, not to mention promotions and payment options,
    it's easy to become frustrated and stressed out. The information here will help make buying a car as easy and stress-free as possible.

23. Katherine

2013-09-18 04:58:52 -0500

The fast food business is a fast growing and very challenging means of entering the
    market. We need to not listen to our doctor who will be very helpful and write a prescription for almost anything to help
    you live with your diabetes. It is necessary for us to figure out effective ways to
    solve this tough trouble.

Have a look at my blog; papa johns coupons 2013, Katherine,

24. betterware-poland.com.pl

2013-09-18 06:50:41 -0500

It's an amazing article in support of all the online viewers;
    they will get advantage from it I am sure.

25. best chainsaw 2013

2013-10-17 14:28:16 -0500

You can choose to go for the protective versions of this
    equipment. Electric is often the cheapest and
    can be found almost anywhere. I did a little bit
    of research for tools on the internet which would make it easier to
    cut these branches down, and I came across an
    electric saw, I looked through the reviews of the saw,
    people had nothing but good things to say about it, so I purchased it and waited for delivery.