Capturing Anna | September 2011

anna pants | the face of two point five

Dear Anna,

Hi sweet girl. Just wanted to capture a couple things about you right now and get them down in a letter.

First thing, we love you so much.

Second thing, you are awesome.

Third thing, you make the best faces.

There's a million more things of course, but those are the three that are standing out right now.

You are currently two-weeks into your Montessori preschool experience and it's safe to say that you seem to be happy with it. Each day we drop you off, you give a hug and a kiss at least twice (and the last couple of days you kissed our hands as well) and then you head into the room to see what kind of work you'll want to do first. You have a very kind, gentle and soft-spoken teacher.

I loved this morning when you walked through the door other kids were saying "Hi Anna!" and "Anna's here!"

sweet baby girl + her books

Each night you like to have a couple books read to you and then you like to look at books on your own for quite awhile. Sometimes longer than I'd like you to stay up, but it's for a good cause.

You "read" them out loud to yourself or whatever baby dolls might be hanging out in your bed. Often you mimic whatever you remember about the story or you pick something in the photo/illustration that spurs you to turn the page. I know this because I often stand outside your door and listen. You yell for me when you're done looking at books to come back in and turn off the light. Lately you've been telling me to "have a good sleep Mama" as I close the door.

You still grab and tug and hold onto our ears when you are very sleepy - either just waking up or just falling asleep.

missoni shoes

You are a big fan of playing at the sink. This past weekend you took everything off down to your undies, socks and shoes and played and played. Pouring, scooping, dumping water and asking for more bubbles. More than a little water found it's way out of the sink and onto the floor. You really, really wanted to get into the sink but I told you that you're too big for that now.

I love that you've got opinions about your clothes. You were pretty particular about wearing the striped green socks with those cute little shoes. Most days I give you a choice between two things. Most days you pick one or the other without too much back and forth.

in the kitchen

You are physical. Climbing. Jumping (you love a small personal trampoline we got for your this summer). Hanging. Jumping. Jumping. Jumping.

You are quick to understand and quick to ask another question "why?" or "what's that?"

Apple juice is your drink of choice. Goldfish your snack. And broccoli is your vegetable (you really and truly love broccoli - it's the first thing you go for on your plate). Your current favorite choice for breakfast is grapes and cheese.

You want a kiss from Simon before he heads off for school and love to wave at him as the bus drives away.

You are a bundle of goodness sweet Anna girl. We love you so much.

Love, Mama

1. Melanie K.

2011-09-20 12:09:19 -0500

My youngest (who is 3) tugs on his ears too ... odd! For a while I kept taking him to the doctor to check for ear infections (my second son had to have tubes put in).
    Kids are wonderful, aren't they? And, as parents, you get to see them 'evolve' ... so cool!

2. Sharon Dryjanski

2011-09-20 12:51:29 -0500

Ali, that is so sweet and she will love the fact to read all the things you wrote for Anna. Are not 2 year olds the greatest? We have Mia(my great niece ) who is same age as Anna and they do the sweetest things. Of course being her Aunt I get some stuff second hand. But children are precious gifts of God. It is time like this when I am down or challenges that make it all so worth good and not so good times. You and the family are in my prayers hugs.
    Blessings,

Sharon Dryjanski Phoenix Arizona CE

3. rhonda

2011-09-20 13:14:37 -0500

Anna is such a cutie pie, love her face!

4. madeline St onge

2011-09-20 14:12:38 -0500

Love that baby doll Ali. You had me crying when I read this

5. Sandra K.

2011-09-20 14:17:34 -0500

This is so, so, so, beautiful written. Thanks Ali for given me a reminder to do this also.

Sandra :)

6. lovinglifeat37

2011-09-20 14:32:34 -0500

Ali - Just wanted to say thank you for all of your hard work. You are such an inspiration to me. I love to scrapbook but have little time with 2 toddlers another on the way and my job as a physician. Your blog brightens may day and I always look forward to your storytelling and all the activity in your house. Thank you for sharing your everyday! Just want to make you aware that you really are making a difference in other people's lives with this website.

7. Andrea

2011-09-20 15:23:30 -0500

Good crimeny that was a WONDERFUL post! Gave me chills...I need to find my inspiration from you. I am still trying to start PL...I am so overwhelmed by printing things out and the "How to print" piece that all I have accomplished so far is buying the binder and some sleeves. I did get my pictures in the mail yesterday, so now I need to figure out the journaling piece.
    Ali, I love your style, that you share everything with your readers/followers, and that you are SO passionate about what you do and your family! You are an inspiration!!

8. Michele

2011-09-20 15:41:37 -0500

What a beautiful letter to your daughter. She is loved.

9. Petra from NL

2011-09-20 16:29:24 -0500

Such a sweet post! Lovely little details will now be remembered. My favourite part was the "Anna's here" from her classmates. Sounds like a good bunch...

10. Catherine

2011-09-20 17:00:09 -0500

You go girl for nabbing those shoes! She is such sweet pea, that personality just jumps off the page.

11. Kate Ware

2011-09-20 17:36:18 -0500

So so sweet! Such an adorable little face. You are an awesome Mama, Ali, and an amazing person! Your little ones are blessed!

12. Megan Renfree

2011-09-20 17:46:40 -0500

Gorgeous! Such a sweet wee thing! Your a wonderful mother Ali!

13. Paula G

2011-09-20 19:47:14 -0500

Awww...definitely feelin' the warm fuzzies. What a wonderful bond you have with your sweet children.

14. Anthea

2011-09-20 21:48:31 -0500

Love this Ali. You always seem to make the everyday to beautiful.

15. Sarah

2011-09-21 00:42:57 -0500

totally love that face. checked back on the blog a couple of times today. Couldn't help but laugh out loud each time. TOO CUTE!

16. Debbie S.

2011-09-21 08:25:18 -0500

Awesome! What a sweetie...I love the stories of the in-the-zone play... :)

Have a good day, Ali!

17. Michelle L.

2011-09-21 09:17:58 -0500

Thank you for sharing this, Ali-- it actually made me tear up a bit. In the midst of a challenging season, it has inspired me to take a step back and capture all of the good things.

18. tiffany h.

2011-09-21 10:11:00 -0500

so very sweet. thanks for sharing.

19. Vicmarie

2011-09-21 11:29:50 -0500

I'm a 24yr old single woman. No pets (yet). No kids (yet). I want to create my own Week in the life project but I don't know how to start... Any idea...

20. Melanie

2011-09-21 11:48:39 -0500

What a beautiful tribute to your daughter! I'm sure she'll look back one day and really appreciate what you wrote to her. I am also in LOVE with her shoes. Do they come in "big people" sizes?

21. susan garner

2011-09-21 13:00:24 -0500

Your words just seem to flow. I know what i want to say but its never as nice as yours when i want to write it.

22. Bec

2011-09-21 14:44:17 -0500

Thinking about you and praying your rough spots will smooth out soon.

23. Sara

2011-09-22 17:16:26 -0500

Thank you for sharing such a genuine and heartfelt look into your life. I am one of those people who never tire of learning a bit more about the lives of others, no matter who it is. It really is a piece of history in the making.
    This post has really made me stop and think about my own family and the little stories of us. I would be so happy to know that in 100 years our future generations could be reading about us and learning more about where we all came from. Sadly, I just haven't been recording these things like I should.
    I get so caught up in the thought of finding that perfect paper, making the perfect page, that I really forget that it doesn't matter how I dress it up.
    This post is nothing more but words and photos but it is so much more beautiful than the latest papers and embellishments. I can do this. I take photos. I can spend a few minutes a night writing out my thoughts. So, thank you for this!

24. Margaret

2011-09-23 23:16:38 -0500

I have not visited your blog for sometime and thought I might pop over to see what you have been up to. I was shocked to see how much Anna has grown. She is beautiful and so is this post. I wish you both the very best...it is so nice to read a snippet of your lives.

25. Carol

2011-09-24 00:53:07 -0500

Beautifully written Ali. Gosh Miss Anna looks like you.