Italy In Photos

IMG_7351

Beauty. History. Wine. Laughter. More laughter. Pasta. Old friends. New friends. Sunsets. Olives. Breezes. More wine. More laughter. And lots and lots of walking.

IMG_7067

Where to even begin?

So many good memories made over the last two weeks.

Here's some of my favorites:

IMG_7111

Riding bikes on top of the wall around the city of Lucca.

IMG_7114

Visiting the Leaning Tower in Pisa.

IMG_7138

I want to remember the people. A seriously wonderful group of people – about 40 total (including three husbands + Jim and Paolo). Some I traveled with to Greece last year and others who are new friends that now have a very special place in my heart. And of course it’s always awesome to spend time with Paolo. We’ve been friends since high school (going on 22 years now) and he is a really great travel companion.

IMG_7140

Walking through the narrow streets of San Gimignano.

IMG_7146

Lots of looking up.

IMG_7163

And lots of looking out.

IMG_7135

And seeing things through doorways and arches.

IMG_7199

We visited two different wineries. Both were excellent in terms of food and wine and hospitality.

IMG_7206

IMG_7203

I want to remember the laughter. There was so much laughing on this trip. I don’t think there was a single bus ride without a bunch of people laughing at various times. It was a combination of Jim’s entertaining skills and the silliness that ensued within the group as the trip progressed.

IMG_7216

Riding up the hill to Montecatini Alto on a funicular.

IMG_7240

Always lots of talk about taking photos and lots of photo-taking action.

IMG_7231

Just awesome.

IMG_7260

We spent one day in Sienna.

IMG_7261

IMG_7262

I could eat pizza everyday - I think I just about did. I'm also a really big caprese salad fan.

IMG_7264

It was less crowded than the last time I was there. That piazza is amazing anytime.

IMG_7274

We spent a lot of time on the bus. Good times. A majority of the laughter seemed to occur on this bus. I love these people.

IMG_9316

Riding the funicular with the Stahl sisters.

IMG_7287

At the second winery we had a cooking demonstration and got to learn how to make pasta.

IMG_7291

IMG_7294

I want to remember the simplicity of making handmade pasta. We learned such a simple process using flour and an egg. I’m excited to try it out at home.

IMG_7325

One day was spent at one of my favorite places the Cinque Terre. We visited Manarola, Vernazza, and Monterosso.

IMG_9672

This was one of my most favorite spots when we visited as a family last summer. It came at the end of our trip and it was so awesome to arrive there and just hang out on the beach.

IMG_7312

This time I loved that I was able to see two other towns. Each one is so unique.

IMG_1358

Our last day in Tuscany was spent in Florence.

IMG_1362

IMG_1361

I loved the contrast between the two churches above - the ornate and the simple.

Florence Instax

I took about 90 Instax shots on this trip. Love them. Super fun to have others on the trip bring theirs along too. Lots of chatting about this fun image maker.

IMG_1365

And then we headed off to Rome.

IMG_7371

The Colosseum and part of the Forum in the background.

IMG_7389

St. Paul's Outside The Walls - one of my favorite churches.

IMG_7390

The weather was just right the whole time we were there. Very mild. Loved seeing evidence of fall.

IMG_7467

St. Peter's

St. Peter's.

St. Paul "outside the walls" in Rome

St. Paul's.

IMG_7374

More Instax play.

IMG_7419

And then there was the cappuccino. Yum. To be honest I never really knew that I liked it.

IMG_1364

I definitely know now!

Saw this advertisement in the airport in Rome and loved the design.

IMG_1398

All in all a really fantastic trip with wonderful people who I miss after spending two weeks together. Big thanks to Jim West for being himself and for inviting me to come along.

Looking for an international adventure with other people who love memory keeping? Next fall (late September) I'll be traveling with Scrapmap and Karen Russell to Ireland for a photo and scrapbooking tour. More details to come soon.

1. Jeni

2011-10-20 01:43:01 -0700

Beautiful pictures. I wish we could all go back!

2. Nancy G.

2011-10-20 02:01:48 -0700

Loved seeing your photos. Even though I was there for 2 weeks this summer, your photos show there is so much more to see. Travel is so beneficial to the soul.

3. Cris

2011-10-20 04:14:45 -0700

Love from Italy :)

4. Joy Taylor

2011-10-20 04:50:36 -0700

What a truly magical trip that you have had, so many wonderful places and obviously spent with some truly beautiful people...thank you for sharing this with us..hugs

5. Sharon Dryjanski

2011-10-20 07:14:15 -0700

Ali ,
    totally phenomon photos...looks like fun i wish I was there you have given me inspiration again...love Italy and London the best....Are you planning another cruise class like that for next year? what great memories....hugs blessings

Sharon dryjanski Phoenix AZ missed you while you where gone....

6. borcherding

2011-10-20 07:59:49 -0700

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G....some day, I want to take an adventure like that!!

7. Jolynn

2011-10-20 08:38:07 -0700

The pictures are amazing and looks like you had loads of fun. I bet Ireland will be beautiful as well.

8. kristina

2011-10-20 09:43:52 -0700

Gorgeous photos, wow! Looks like you had an amazing time...the food pics are making me SUPER hungry, yum!!:)

9. Katrina Grabowski

2011-10-20 16:59:28 -0700

Such beautiful photo's!!!! QUESTION>>>>are your shoes DANSKO"S??????

10. Poupee

2011-10-20 18:32:03 -0700

Ali, great shots! Btw, where do you buy your film for the fuji instamax? Thanks!

11. cinback

2011-10-21 08:53:47 -0700

Ali, just wondering if you had any issues with carrying your unexposed Instax film through security? Did they send your film through the scanner? Did you have to open the boxes at all?

12. annie

2011-10-21 10:03:07 -0700

Ali, these are gorgeous. Looks like you had fabulous weather too. I'm so glad.

13. Steph S

2011-10-21 10:58:35 -0700

Oh Ali,
    I (**HEART**) this post! This vacation was really wonderful in so many ways, and you were such a big part of it! Having a difficult time explaining it to friends other than saying, "It was great. So SO SO SO great." Thanks again for your friendship, your laughter, and your great sense of humor. I want to be like you when I grow up:)

Steph (the one you met in Italy)

14. Cindy

2011-10-21 13:12:32 -0700

Wonderful pictures.....I'm still in awe! I would really like to try the Ireland trip....will have to think about that one for some time, I still think it would be an awesome trip, even if it's not Italy!! (I've always wanted to go to Italy.) Thanks for sharing those amazing photos.

15. Karen Watson

2011-10-22 13:33:22 -0700

You look like you had an amazing time Ali! The food photos were making me salivate!!

16. Steph.S

2011-10-22 19:00:23 -0700

Love

17. Tinka

2011-10-22 22:50:22 -0700

Thanks for sharing your photos...I had so wanted to go on that trip but it just didn't work out. :( But Ireland is another place I've always wanted to visit so I am making that a priority for next year's trip!

18. Jane

2011-10-23 09:24:42 -0700

Gorgeous photos.

I live in Dublin, Ireland so I look forward to hearing more about your trip. We were out and about in Dublin's city Center today where an International Art Festival is on until the end of Oct. (It was a 'no shadow' day!)

The St. Patrick's Day parade, http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie is interesting for photography. Simon might enjoy this story which was written by Roddy Doyle (who you may know as the writer of the story behind the 'The Commitments' movie). It was for the 17th March last year as part of the celebration of Dublin as the 4th international UNESCO City of Literature. It's a free download and called 'Brillant', http://bitly.com/eZbdsZ

Most Americans particularly enjoy the castles and scenery too.

Jane

19. Paolo

2011-10-23 10:53:59 -0700

Dude, always grateful for the our adventures. :)

20. Diane

2011-10-24 13:35:19 -0700

What lovely, lovely pictures, Ali :-) You are such a wonderful photographer of life. But then… in the midst of them all, pictures of San Gimignano? Could it really be? The very same town I visited with my husband in 2002 and a town I fell in love with instantly? A visit that seems a lifetime ago? It is the very same. I could hardly believe it. We loved the alleyways and courtyards, the tiny church where I felt my grandmother for the first time in a long time and wept. Oh, and the coffee! I loved the doors – so many of them painted, old beautiful. I must have taken hundreds of pictures there. I desperately wished we could stay. Of course we didn't. We had our son a few years later but things became bigger and harder than either of us could anticipate or handle. Although friends, we are now getting divorced. He moved to Oregon and I stayed in the mid-west. Our son is now 6. I hadn't thought of that beautiful Italian town in a very long time. So I wanted to say thank you, Ali. Thank you for not even realizing what you do for so many of us each and every day. Thank you for putting us in touch with ourselves, for allowing us to remember, even when it hurts. This is life, such as it is, in all it's awkward, painful beauty. Thank you from my souls core for helping me to remember and to see beauty in something I had tried to forget. I'll go back one day… with my son… and we will walk those streets together. I will continue to remember. I wish for you only love, peace and happiness on your journey. Thank you.

21. Nena S.Janssen

2011-10-26 17:55:34 -0700

Hi Ali,I am a big fan of your work.I own some of your books and a lot of your clear stamps.I am always inspired every time I see your scrapbook layout and try my hardest to accomplished a little semblance even though I don't own the right papers you used.My husband built a beautiful scrapbook room for me and it just finish after our travel from Italy,April of this year.I know you've been to Italy twice now and we almost went the same places you've been to.My question is, what did you do with your photos of Italy?I'd like to know how you put it together. Sincerely,Nena J.

22. Beatrice

2011-10-27 05:29:20 -0700

Every so often I check your blog to see what are you and your family up to. So strange to say that to someone I barely know, but you are one of my inspirations to stay "connected" and remember that little things count!
    Question... Does Paolo scrapbook too?

23. Friday Favs | Nikkilooch

2011-10-28 12:34:40 -0700

[...] makes me miss home… uhh I mean Italy Have a great weekend and try not to eat all the Halloween candy you’ve been stock piling. [...]

24. Elina

2011-11-15 12:44:29 -0800

Hey I was in Italy in October, and am still sorting through my pictures (which are at least a thousand!). It is such a great country to visit! Thanks for sharing your story. All the best

25. Alison B

2011-12-28 11:14:51 -0800

**hello** IRELAND here!!! Woooohooooooo, I'm in Ireland! I'm in Dublin :-). Be still my heart. YOU'RE COMING TO IRELAND! I knew if we were patient that you would come! I simply CANNOT wait to hear about it!!! If the truth be known, I can hardly type I'm so excited!