The Weekend Lens

This past weekend was a working-weekend for me.

Liz and I met up in Portland to talk business - retreats, classes, and different ways we can encourage people to tell their stories.

We met up with Kelly Rae for a bit of work mixed with fun and ended up out in Forest Grove at McMenamin's Grand Lodge for a vintage extravaganza called Plucky Maidens Junk Fest.

Today I'm feeling extra thankful for good friends, good business banter, and the chance to hang out in person vs. on the screen.

It was just what I needed.

Now I'm getting ready for Thanksgiving. I've got a busy couple of days before the holiday - meetings, appointments, regular work-stuff, cooking, etc. I know the next three days are going to fly by.

One thing on my list is that I need to make a couple pies. Any favorite pie recipes that you'd like to share?

Simon will want a chocolate pie of course and then I'm thinking about making two more. Maybe a cranberry-pear (it's been a few years since I made that one) or an apple and a pumpkin?

1. Cecilia Madden

2011-11-21 11:18:04 -0500

Pecan pie, all the way, and this is the recipe to use: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/texas-state-fair-pecan-pie

Have a great Thanksgiving!

2. Kathy

2011-11-21 12:20:14 -0500

This became an instant classic at our house 2 years ago. So yummy and so easy. Sorry I don't have a link. Got it the old fashion way, through email from a friend.

CHERRY COBBLER
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup flour
    1 tbs baking powder
    3/4 cup milk
    1 (1-pound) can pie filling

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Melt butter or margarine in an 8-inch square pan. Mix sugar, flour, and baking powder. Combine dry ingredients with milk. Pour batter into pan of melted butter. Pour pie filling over the batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

3. tracy

2011-11-21 12:21:32 -0500

My mom makes the best apple pie and it's easy!! Here is the recipe:

Dutch Apple Pie

1 nine inch frozen pie crust (do NOT pre-bake)
    8-10 Jonathan, McIntosh or your choice of apple, peeled and sliced

Fill unbaked piecrust with apples. Mound them high because they cook down considerably.

Mix: ½ c. sugar and 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon and sprinkle over apples.

Topping:
    ½ c. granulated sugar
    ¾ c. flour
    1/3-c. butter cut in chunks

Blend together with a fork until well combined, yet it will still be lumpy. Sprinkle over apples.

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

4. Megan W

2011-11-21 12:48:39 -0500

America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated has an amazing double crust apple pie recipe. Also, if you like cheesecake, they have an even more amazing pumpkin cheesecake recipe. We're making both in our house!

5. kelly libby

2011-11-21 12:49:18 -0500

I make apple crisp instead of a pie. I always loved my mom's apple crisp as a child and when I came home from college I always requested her to bake a batch for me. An entire batch would disappear into our family's bellies the very same day. However, for some reason, nobody made it anymore, so a few years back I found the recipe. Now, my sister's kids and I bake it together on Thanksgiving day. A great memory in the making for all of us... Happy Thanksgiving!!!

6. Valerie

2011-11-21 15:32:58 -0500

mmmm....nothing like pie, is there? Check the Kraft website for their double-layer pumpkin pie with the ginger snap crust....beyond yummy! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

7. Sarah

2011-11-21 15:35:22 -0500

pie recipes @ pioneerwoman.com = happiness!

8. shellyp

2011-11-21 17:37:05 -0500

I have a friend who makes a pumpkin dessert that she calls Pumpkin Love. It is so good! I don't think there really is a recipe for it, it's kinda a cross between a pudding and something else lol but I don't really know how to describe it other than yummy. I do know it's made with a can of pumpkin pie filling and a vanilla cake mix, and kinda not baked all the way, and sprinkled with cinnamon on top and then whipped cream...has any one had something like this? Happy Thanksgiving Ali!

9. Noell

2011-11-21 17:46:18 -0500

Just want to say how much I love your hair at this long length, Ali!

10. Christine

2011-11-21 20:06:05 -0500

Glad you had a great weekend. My favorite pie recipe is the Kraft double layer pumpkin pie. This is a no bake pie with a cream cheese layer to die for.
    BTW...I was at BPS open house and saw your picture on the wall (John and Jessica too). Lovely.

11. rebecca

2011-11-21 20:37:14 -0500

Another vote for Pioneer Woman's Caramel Apple Pie. BEST! EVAH! she has an easy perfect pie crust recipe too :)

12. Kelly

2011-11-21 22:54:18 -0500

Hi Ali,

My favorite pumpkin pie receipe is from Martha Stewart. It is her "Classic Pumpkin Pie" which I found in her magazine a few years ago. But the real secret is the crust and that is her Pate Brise receipe. It is a butter crust and it is to die for. To me it makes the pie so much better and more pastry like. My husband and I can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Happy Thanksgiving!

13. Tere

2011-11-21 23:17:04 -0500

Ali, the top right self-portrait, you look so beautiful!

14. Johanna

2011-11-22 06:01:19 -0500

Betty Crocker's apple pie is my childhood favorite: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/scrumptious-apple-pie/

I leave out the salt for the filling and only use cinnamon (double quantity) - so easy and delicious. Pies are absolutely uncommon here in Germany and everyone who tried this was impressed - pumpkin
    pie is a bit too "exotic" for the common German palate. More for me then!

15. sharongrey8

2011-11-22 10:21:23 -0500

We really like Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie.

16. Liz Ness

2011-11-22 11:10:56 -0500

What an awesome day (plus, I can imagine you, Liz, and Kelly hatching all sorts of wonderful, amazing plans together)!

As for the treat, pecan pie is my favorite. Here's a recipe from Pioneer Woman that looks divine (mine's a little different, but I'm going to try hers this year): http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/11/pecan-pie/

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you an your family, my friend! I'll be counting you (and your mom) among my blessings for sure! =)

17. Jill Wendorf

2011-11-22 11:57:08 -0500

I have been following you for years so I am aware that Simon loves Star Wars etc. I got the Williams Sonoma catalog in the mail last night and saw they have star wars spatula's, cookie cutters, aprons. I thought I'd let you know because they are off the charts amazing. :) Have a nice holiday this week.

18. Sarah

2011-11-22 13:13:55 -0500

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Looking forward to the retreat!! And just had to say you look beautiful in the top right photo!!

19. Jenny

2011-11-22 18:16:20 -0500

Neat story about the Libbey pie. My husband's uncle worked for Libbey's and they had a pumpkin pie making contest. She won. That's her recipe on the label and she never received a penny!

My new favorite pumpkin is not a pie, but a pumpkin pie cake. If you get the Libbey pumpkin pie mix in a can, add 4 eggs, 1 can evaporated milk and pour into a greased 9x13 in pan. Pour a box spice mix over the top. Melt 1 stick of butter and pour over cake mix. Sometimes I add pecans before the butter. Bake at 350 for an hour. It's really good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

20. Jenni Hufford

2011-11-22 18:50:55 -0500

hi ali! sounds like the best kid of weekend-- inspirational and refreshing! here is a link to our all-time favorite pie: apple buttermilk custard pie: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/warm-apple-buttermilk-custard-pie-10000000434581/ (and it's from cooking light so i some-what feel a little better about it).

have a blessed thanksgiving. xo

21. Michelle

2011-11-22 22:09:43 -0500

The red checkered Better Homes and Garden has a great Apple Crisp recipe. LOVE!!! I heap the apples in a 9x13 baker and atleast double the topping.

22. Marisa G

2011-11-22 22:22:08 -0500

I have a Pillsbury Baking cookbook, and all of the recipes that I have tried so far are amazing. You can't get the cookbook anymore, but a lot of the recipes are on their website. I make the "perfect apple pie" recipe from that cookbook. It's a simple recipe, but really yummy. Not too sweet, and the apples shine through. Also, a tip...use 2-3 different kinds of baking apples for an even better flavor. Here is the link to the recipe:
    I'll be making one tomorrow night at my mom's house! :-)

23. Julie

2011-11-23 00:57:28 -0500

Hi Ali,
    Here's my tried and true pumpkin pie recipe that is a long time family favorite:

Happy Thanksgiving!

24. Kathy

2011-11-23 11:56:31 -0500

Hi Ali, I've heard of you for so long and finally found your spot on the web! I'm looking forward to your annual Christmas Journal 25 days countdown that I've seen in a video recently. Your children are so adorable, I enjoyed seeing all your photos this morning. I don't have any fantastic recipes to share but I sure did enjoy reading all the posts above. Have a happy turkey day with your family and hope you get lots of R&R time in for yourself too!

Kathy

25. Eniko

2011-11-26 10:05:08 -0500

Ali, I posted a wonderful Rhubarb Pie recipe on my blog a while back -it's a winner! (Too late for this year's Thanksgiving, but never too late for pie!) http://enikodelisle.typepad.com/enikos-playhouse/2010/03/why-i-scrapbook.html