December Daily™ 2011 | Day Seventeen

Welcome to December Daily™ 2011 | Day Seventeen.

A couple things before I share my page for today:

(1) There were lots of comments and questions about the longevity of receipts yesterday after seeing my collage of receipts page. I think I'll use this specific page as a test that we can revisit next December. I'm curious to see what happens to them. I looked back in my Project Life album from the beginning of 2011 (I've added receipts here and there) and they were all still intact (from Jan and Feb). I also looked back at my Week In The Life from 2007 which also included receipts - they were all still visible as well. So far it hasn't been my experience that they are all fading.

(2) The postal stamp that I included yesterday was actually stamped onto a piece of paper (as a receipt for something I sent) and I used a circle punch (1 inch) to add it to the metal rimmed circle tag.

(3) Now that the kids are out of school I might not get each of my posts up in the early AM as usual - it's still my goal. We are so close to Christmas!

Here's a look at Day Seventeen:

I took Anna to the Nutcracker Ballet last night and it was so cool. We'd been planning and talking about it for quite awhile - it was pretty magical.

The first page is a collage of photos using my December Daily™ Layered Template 6x8.5 set. I've got a tutorial for working with those files in Elements available here.

The "be jolly' chipboard accent is from My Mind's Eye Lost And Found Christmas.

For the second page I used a photo of Anna dancing at intermission.

JOURNALING | Sweet Anna Girl | This is how I want to remember our first adventure to the Nutcracker Ballet. You - spinning, twirling, dancing, jumping, giggling, and watching other little girls play and dance during intermission. You were so, so happy. The whole adventure was fun. We did leave early - you were tired - it was time. You really wanted to dance on the stage - I’m definitely going to sign you up soon for a fun ballet class. You wore a black dress with black tights and black sparkly shoes. We read the Nutcracker story a few times before we went so you’d know a bit about the story - you were excited to see Fritz, Clara, the Nutcracker, and the Mouse King and the Sugar Plum Fairy too. You had a little meltdown as we drove home - it was late and you were just done for the day - even crying, “I miss my brother.” When I asked you this morning if you want to go again next year you said “Yes, and next year I can go on the stage.” Love you Anna. Love experiencing life with you.

I love the little flag embellishments that are part of My Mind's Eye Lost And Found Christmas chipboard sheet. Star paper is from October Afternoon.

The last couple of times I've posted with text on my photos like this I've received a few questions about how I do it.

I'm not using any special technique - here's a look at my process:

1. I start by grabbing the T (text tool) and clicking on my image and dragging (while holding down the mouse) to create a text box. Doing it this way vs. just clicking on the image and beginning to type, is how you are able to create an editable text box (one that you can change the size of as you go along).

2. Then I start typing in my journaling. I usually get all of it in there before I start messing with returns and tabs.

3. After I've got all my words on there I start using the return key to create new lines where I'd like there to be a break (usually going around a body part or other "line" created by the image). I hit return and then I play with a combination of tabs and spaces to get the words where I want them. There may be a MUCH easier way (like creating a path and then doing a text wrap) but this is the way I'm doing it right now. The main thing for me is to make sure I know what I want to say before starting to mess with the returns.

Such a fun night.

And yes, my album is getting huge.

SUPPLIES | DAY SEVENTEEN

Click on the images to link to the products.

SHARE A LINK TO YOUR DAY SEVENTEEN

You’re invited to include a link to your DAY SEVENTEEN page here. Please link directly to your post vs. your general blog link.

1. aliza

2011-12-18 23:19:19 +0000

The text on that photo around Anna's arm is just magical to me. I love it. And I love that you documented the the meltdown too.

I saw STOMP today with my 2 boys. We don't often see live performances;I forgot how moving it is to see people perform before your very eyes.

2. jackie p

2011-12-18 23:48:53 +0000

thanks for the journaling tip!

3. slmnontec

2011-12-19 00:02:12 +0000

So great that your very young child sat through. We took our daughter when she was five and she had a twirly skirt and danced with a wooden nutcraker we bought for her. She still says it's her favorite decoration--and she's now 24 years old. Fun memories. We try to go almost every year.

4. Robyn

2011-12-19 00:36:16 +0000

Noticed Day 15 is missing from your blog??

5. Cynthia C.

2011-12-19 00:49:45 +0000

Receipts..... If you want to be sure, I might scan to have just in case. I have actual receipt longevity data for some different kinds. We are getting ready to donate our 1992 Honda and move on. In cleaning out her glove box last weekend, I found a bunch of receipts for gas. 2 of the 6 receipts are fine, 4 are all white or light grey with illegible faded imprint marks from the printer. LOVE the receipts I have, about 9 gallons, which is as much as it ever takes, for $10.36 in 1993!! The other good one is from 1996. Also had vehicle city sticker receipt from 1995 that looks like ink jet on thin cardstock that is in great shape. If you scan, you are covering your bases, and have the intrinsic cuteness of the actual receipts.

6. Shelly

2011-12-19 01:05:30 +0000

Lovely story and lovely photos.I agree with what another reader said--you both look so pretty!

7. Sarah

2011-12-19 01:54:04 +0000

Love this!! And could either of you look more gorgeous (you), perfectly adorable (Anna)? My girl is almost the same as Anna and I LOVE your Mother/Daughter stories :)

8. susan garner

2011-12-19 02:20:52 +0000

I love the idea of keeping receipts but as i look back at them over the years one thing stands out and that is the staple has a tendancy to break down and rust transfers to the paper so I don't use staples anymore not even in my scrapbooking. Has anyone else had the same issue.?

9. rebeccastt

2011-12-19 03:20:49 +0000

Thanks, Ali, for sharing about the text on your photos. All this time I assumed you used the text path in the full Photoshop (which I don't have...I use Elements), and figured I couldn't do what you have done. I'm so excited to try your technique!

10. Lisa W.

2011-12-19 04:20:50 +0000

First of all Anna is a VERY lucky little girl!!! I so admire your work...just breathtaking...but also really admire you as a Mom. Being the Mother of three myself, I truly respect your love for them. This is a memory that will forever hold in your heart:) AND yes Christmas is getting SO close. Happy Week Ali!!!

11. Marie-Pierre

2011-12-19 05:34:22 +0000

You both look stunning in your little black dresses! You rock!

12. Nathalie Hardy

2011-12-19 06:25:45 +0000

you both look lovely - I love that you included the whole story - all the parts ...my pile of intentions for DD is nearly as big as your book :)

13. Tinka

2011-12-19 06:45:39 +0000

What a wonderful experience for you and Anna! Quite a few years ago I took then 7 1/2 year old nephew and 5 yr old niece to see the Nutcracker..they are now 22 1/2 and 20! We stayed in a hotel for the whole weekend so we could also enjoy the Christmas lights and pageant held on the Riverwalk. I bought them new clothes for the occasion David insisted that he had to have a Nutcracker tie for his suit since that was what we were going to see! We also left the ballet early...it was hot and the kids wanted to swim in the hotel's indoor pool!

14. Alida Post

2011-12-19 06:59:35 +0000

No girls here. We did take the boys to see The Nutcracker last here, but they somehow caught on that it is more of a girl thing and weren't too impressed! I also love the shoes photo & all of them really.

15. Beverly

2011-12-19 13:48:08 +0000

ah, these events and photos takes me back in time when our two girls (women now) were young. You are such an awesome mommy! Merry Christmas!

16. Betsy

2011-12-19 14:16:54 +0000

I just luv the memories & how you put it all together!

17. Melissa

2011-12-19 15:28:03 +0000

I saved my receipt from the first package of diapers I ever bought back in 1998 when I was pregnant with my first. You can no longer read the receipt. Sigh.

18. Mindy

2011-12-19 17:59:24 +0000

So love seeing your work! Can you please share what size hole punch you use to punch your pages? Last year I used my crop-a-dile and my pages kept getting caught up on the jump rings that I used. I think maybe the holes were punched too small? I am still unhappy with the way that is bound- it is very hard to flip through it. Haven't punched any holes this year for fear of the same problem.

19. Jennifer B.

2011-12-19 18:46:57 +0000

tfs the text tutorial. I've been doing it the long way!

20. Carrie C

2011-12-19 19:31:29 +0000

You look gorgeous in the photo on the top left. :)

21. Lauralee Lien

2011-12-19 19:42:25 +0000

I love how you put your shoes next to each otherin a photo. Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

22. Lori Kae

2011-12-19 23:04:57 +0000

Your album inspirations are fantastic. You and Anna look just beautiful and I just love her spirit and energy. Precious.

Thank you for all you teach us. I am feeling really happy about this year as I have kept up with taking pictures, telling stories and even simple word journaling about the moments and stories (even journaling on my iphone) and keep reminding myself that each day is truly enough just as it is. One Little Word has really made a difference in my overall journaling/story telling perspective and reflection practices. Each morning and evening I make sure I take five to ten minutes to reflect upon the events of the prior or current day(s).

Receipt comment: Some of our receipts I have wanted to keep have faded or the ink has completely disappeared. So, in the last few years, I have either photographed the receipts or scanned them and reprinted them if they are "important" to the story I am telling. :) Some receipts I wish I would have done this with like our trip to Chicago to the American Girl store--but that was back in the days of film and not digital so I didn't even think about it.

Praying your week is blessed and beautiful!

23. ErinK.

2011-12-20 19:38:54 +0000

This is such a great page. My great aunts used to take my cousin and I to see the Nutcracker every year! Such a cool tradition that I need to record!

Thanks for sharing how to print words on photos!

24. ckcpurple

2011-12-24 01:27:11 +0000

absolutely beautiful and precious!!!! she and your son are going to cherish these books forever!!!

25. December Daily | Ali Edwards