December Daily™ 2011 | Day Ten

Welcome to December Daily™ 2011 | Day Ten.

Hello photo I took of the kids & Santa and hello "official" Santa photo.

Still feeling lucky I took a few before they told me I wasn't allowed to take photos.

Here's a look at my process for today:

I started this one off knowing I wanted a full page photo and wanted to try cutting some of my Christmas Quote Strips with the Silhouette. Worked great after a bit of cleaning up the traced file in Silhouette Studio (opened the png file, traced the image, deleted the excess cut lines, cut).

After using the Silhouette I decided to emboss with the white opaque Zing.

Actually I tried the black glitter zing first:

Which was super cool but the white looked better on the photo.

I stapled the phrase with Tim's Tiny Attacher.

Another option, not using the Silhouette, is to simply add the png file right on your photo in Photoshop before printing. The result would be something like this (I adjusted the opacity just a bit to make it see-through):

For the insert I added two photos (2.5 inch x 3.5 inch) that I adhered back to back and slipped into the divided page protector.

I added a couple word stickers to each photo before slipping them to the album.

Behind the "1" and the "0" I added journaling:

I thought about covering these with paper before journaling but just went for it to save a couple steps.

For the second page I used the "official" Santa photo:

I cropped off the advertising, added a strip of Hambly white pattern paper, a couple more Christmas word stickers, and cut out one of the chipboard calendars from the Studio Calico kit for journaling.

Some zig-zag stitching was added along the seam where the photo and pattern paper meet.

Loving that my parents were able to be here yesterday and today.

SUPPLIES | DAY TEN

Click on the images to link to the products.

TODAY'S POST SPONSORED BY | Big Picture Classes

At Big Picture Classes you'll find a myriad of super convenient self-paced classes as well as interactive multi-week workshops on topics ranging from scrapbooking to photography, journaling to personal well-being—but it is the light-hearted and liberating philosophy behind our education that sets us apart and enables you to find your muse, follow it and immerse yourself in personal expression. Visit us today to register for a free class!

WEBSITE | BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

SHARE A LINK TO YOUR DAY TEN

You’re invited to include a link to your DAY TEN page here. Please link directly to your post vs. your general blog link.

1. Carol E

2011-12-12 05:48:49 +1300

Love the pages,the photos are priceless, thank you for sharing.

2. karen

2011-12-12 06:23:32 +1300

I just got the new Cameo and would love to know how you traced the png file. DO you have any Silhouette tutorials?

Thanks for all of your inspiration.

3. Alexandra

2011-12-12 06:48:34 +1300

Hi Ali!

I always love seeing your kids with Santa
    - he is so, so cool. Wish he would head up to our neck of the woods - love how casual and approachable he is :)

On a different note... wondering about your photos this time around... I know that you usually shoot landscape style... are you still doing that or are your large, full page photos for December Daily portrait style?? or are they just enlargements of whichever photo you are using? Would love to know.

Thanks so much!
    A.

4. rhonda

2011-12-12 07:15:18 +1300

Cute pictures with Santa! So glad your parents were able to experience this moment!

5. Pat Rex

2011-12-12 07:23:13 +1300

Ali, I so love that you got in trouble taking pictures of Santa! My big kids are always yelling at me to put my camera away. I call my pictures stealth pictures....no flash, hold it low, click.
    I laughed out loud that they told you that you weren't allowed to take pictures. ( It seems to me that if you buy their pictures, what difference does it make if you take some!)
    Santa, obviously didn't know who he was talking to!

6. zewa

2011-12-12 07:31:12 +1300

Hi Ali,
    so great to see all the techniques and the fun you and your family have in preparation for Christmas. What's suprising though is that Anna's and Simon's dad are missing in all of your pictures. What's happening?

Hope everything is allright in your family.

Thank you for being such an inspiration

7. Karen Anderson

2011-12-12 08:47:11 +1300

I think I prefer your photo to the 'official' one! The faces of your kids are .just magical

8. Jennifer L.

2011-12-12 10:22:02 +1300

What a wonderful treasure trove of memories you have, and thanks so much for passing that inspiration on to us! This is my first year of doing a DD, and I want to let you know that it has really been a valuable way to help me focus on what is important; fully being in the moments, and appreciating it all. Documenting this joy and wonder is the payoff, which I know I will dearly be grateful for in the future! Thank you so much, Ali!

9. Amy Albert

2011-12-12 10:53:50 +1300

Love the Santa pictures! I agree I like your picture better. Your picture is your children in the moment with Santa, your picture is a candid not posed, its magical. The other picture is cute and what all us parents have... over priced mall pictures! (it is now become part of our tradition). We see Santa after the dentist Thursday! Merry Christmas!

10. ckcpurple

2011-12-12 10:54:31 +1300

Another great one. Loving the pics with Santa!!!

11. Bec

2011-12-12 11:05:19 +1300

I can't seem to get my mind and time around December Daily this year but I am so enjoying seeing your pages and those of others. I might need a visit with Santa myself. :)

12. Siri

2011-12-12 11:31:33 +1300

Hi Ali! Oh how I love December Daily! I didn´t do it last year, because I got the "I have no kids so I have nothing to put in it"-illness. I know that is stupid, and I scrap mysef all the time the rest of the year. Even though I didn´t do it last year it made me notice more during December, and I regretted not doing the book so much. I actually started collecting items for my album last December, so I had a box full of items and papers I wanted to use :-) Thank you so much for doing this! I love it!

(I also just want to say that I send all my pregnant customers to look at Annas baby book. (I work at the LSS), just so that they can see that there are more ways to document that first year. You inspire me so much!)

Siri

13. Carmel Keane

2011-12-12 11:45:50 +1300

What a gorgeous looking Santa! Love it! Your photo is SOOOOOO much better than the official one, it really captures the excitement and the serious conversation taking place. Love Love Love it!

14. Brooke

2011-12-12 11:46:50 +1300

I love your shot with Santa - surely priceless! Reading your posts during December is a highlight of my day - still very excited!

15. darlene melvin

2011-12-12 11:53:11 +1300

ALI!! i am so very glad you got a Silhouette Cameo.. have been hoping for years someone would gift you one so you can start making some Ali inspired cutting files.. OMG my crafting world would be a happy place with some of your designs in the studio format..I hope you will look into after the holidays.

I had made a 25days of December book to start however I had a biopsy that came back positive so immediately my world was upside down..we have no Christmas up which with 3 girls it has been a bit somber. I am now recovering from the surgery and yesterday decided I could do a '12days' of Christmas book so I dismantled a book Janet Hopkins style and hope to have it completed to start in two days. THanks for all the inspiration that you give!! I hope to get on the HOliday bandwagon quickly!! :)

16. Heather

2011-12-12 12:03:37 +1300

Hi Ali, I'm loving your December Daily album, as I do every year! It just gets better and better. This year December has not gone so well for me - I got started with the first week, and then I got sick. Nothing serious, but I haven't felt at all Christmassy or inspired, and our family has actually been skipping some of our usual Christmas traditions because I haven't felt well enough to go out.

Any suggestions as to how to handle this? I still really want to complete my album, so as to have a companion for last year's (our Christmases are on a 2-year schedule with the different families, and I thought it would be great to be able to compare them).

Thank you! You inspire me like few people can. :)

17. Katie Scott

2011-12-12 12:48:42 +1300

Catching up on today's pages and the pictures from last night. We threw a big Christmas party Saturday Night. I thought that the party would throw me off my December Daily habit; but in all the hullabaloo - it was nice to know that my December Daily album was waiting patiently for me in my scrapbooking room. I used my scrapbooking time before, and now after, the party as a peaceful brackets of time to counterbalance all the the excitement of the party atmosphere. I love this project.

18. Liz

2011-12-12 13:47:28 +1300

Hi Ali - Adorable pictures of the kids. You can just see what they're thinking! Just wonder if the Tim's Tiny Attacher staples rust? And I am guessing you cut and sewed the inserted divided page protector? Love your style! Thanks!

19. Karen Heisler

2011-12-12 16:41:50 +1300

So prefer your picture to the "official" one! What a great capture of the kids looking at Santa - and what a cute Santa! Thanks for sharing! I'm only on day 3, but getting photos done digitally on your December Daily templates - so easy to use! Thanks for the tutorials!

20. Liz Sawyer

2011-12-12 18:34:01 +1300

So glad you showed this example of a border with a 5x7... had been struggling with ideas for that same concept. Thanks!

21. jennifer evans

2011-12-12 18:42:46 +1300

yeah, and ummm, whose photo looks better, huh? it always cracks me up how much they make you pay for these photos and we could do better with our cameras. or even better... some times i just want to ask the photographer, can i just take the picture with your camera instead? lol... ;)

22. Some Lucky Dog

2011-12-13 07:06:00 +1300

Hi Ali! I'm enjoying seeing your work. Wanted to let you know that I've had good luck getting permission to take my own photos with Santa (and the Easter Bunny), by asking ahead of time and letting them know I'll also be purchasing from them. I've never been turned down! I like being able to get photos of my grandsons looking at Santa like you did here and especially close-ups of their faces where you can really see the magic in their eyes.

23. Project Life | Week Forty-Nine | Ali Edwards

2011-12-14 09:08:16 +1300

[...] The top left pocket includes a couple things: my Minted receipt for our Christmas cards, a grocery list, and a Christmas Quote Strip that I cut out with the Silhouette and added black zing on top (thought I was going to use it as a December Daily embellishment). [...]

24. Beke

2011-12-15 02:53:53 +1300

i love the santa you get to see. our santas are rather bad, im sad to say. but oh well :) Yours is lovely :)

25. December Daily™ | Ali Edwards