9 Cool Things About Simon's Birthday Party

COOL THING #1 | This photo. Katie snapped it during the craziness of the birthday party, after the kids had finished the treasure hunt (the glasses were some of the prizes). I'm thankful that this was my prize.

COOL THING #2 | Simon getting an email from my parents first thing in the morning with an interactive card and fun Spongebob game. I'm thankful for all the ways my parents have connected with Simon.

COOL THING #3 | For his party Simon really wanted to have "marshmallow lasagna." The idea for this dessert came about from a show called Wubbzy and he's talked about it from time to time in the past. I googled "marshmallow lasagna" and found a few different recipes. We ended up doing a modified version of this one - it's basically a smores casserole and it is super, super sweet. For some reason (most likely it's part of the Wubbzy episode that Simon has memorized) he asked for grated cheese on top of his. I'm thankful that he wanted to try something new.

COOL THING #4 | The kids really played together. There was chasing (Simon's favorite), and laughing, and running around upstairs and downstairs, and light sabers and swords. More than half (actually most) of the kids at Simon's party are somewhere on the autism spectrum. They've been in the same program with each other since kindergarten and we've watched each of them grow and develop over the last few years. Most of the same kids were here last year and this year there was really a difference in the way they interacted with one another. I'm so thankful to those kids and their parents for showing up.

COOL THING #5 | I got some photos that I really like of all the kids together eating at the table. I'm not going to be sharing them here but I'm really happy that I took them. Those photos especially remind me just how old he is getting. I'm thankful for the chance to share these photos of friendship with Simon.

COOL THING #6 | My sister sent a bouquet of birthday balloons for Simon. I'm thankful for my sister who is always so thoughtful when it comes to celebrations.

COOL THING #7 | Chris organized a fun treasure hunt (you can see the flier he made up in my Project Life post here) that included five different pirate treasures. I'm thankful for the relationship that Chris has built with Simon and for the one they are building now.

COOL THING #8 | Lots of Ninjago. I'm thankful that Simon's current favorite lego theme has books available.

COOL THING #9 | The nap time after the party. An early in the day party meant time left in the day for a nap on the couch for me. I'm thankful that Anna took a nap (she was exhausted from the excitement) and that Simon was ready and willing to play in peace and quiet with his new toys.

JUST A NOTE | Today is the last day to join Tara Sophia Mohr's Playing Big program (the program begins on Thursday).

1. Teri H.

2012-01-24 08:17:04 -0800

I LOVE that picture of Anna and Simon with the funny glasses. It cracked me up!

2. Deb J

2012-01-24 08:51:02 -0800

What a great party for Simon. It's wonderful how Chris took part. I know that is good for the kids but I also know that it must be hard for you in some ways. I'm so proud of you and the way you are handling all of this. God bless you. I keep you in my prayers.

3. tara pollard pakosta

2012-01-24 09:38:44 -0800

I just want to say I think it's a beautiful thing you are doing for your children, by getting along with Chris and including him when you can and keeping him a part of their lives. Kids need a dad and you are doing an exceptional job Ali!
    tara

4. Mary in IL

2012-01-24 11:17:45 -0800

Ali, if I may ask a personal question...did the guests come to the party and stay with or without parents staying? Are they comfortable enough to do that now? Thank you. It looks like it was a wonderful party!

5. Paola Norman

2012-01-24 11:22:55 -0800

I love how you tell your story, Happy Birthday Simon :)

6. rhonda

2012-01-24 11:24:00 -0800

What sweet pictures! Looks like everyone had a great time!

7. Kimmie

2012-01-24 11:26:09 -0800

Thank you so much for sharing Simon's birthday with us. Looks like it was a great day all around.

BTW, my 10 year old son's current lego obsession is also Ninjago. :)

8. Jayne Taylor

2012-01-24 12:22:45 -0800

Looks like it was a wonderful party - and I love the gratitude statements at the end of each cool thing! I also have to confess that I goggled marshmallow lasanga - new to me - just had to look! :-)

Happy Birthday SImon - Happy days Anna and Ali

9. Debbie Gibson

2012-01-24 13:31:58 -0800

Thank you for sharing Simon's Birthday Party with all of us. Cool Pic #1 is PRICELESS. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! The last Cool Pic reminded me of my time with my little girl! She just turned "9". It goes too fast.

10. kat-in-texas

2012-01-24 16:27:24 -0800

Love how you tell stories to us, Ali!!!

What a special day for Simon and his buddies. Love hearing about their special connections. So sweet.

Glad you and Chris are both present for the kids despite your new realationship status. You are inspiration to us all--married, single and otherwise! :)

11. Sarah

2012-01-24 17:00:47 -0800

Thankful for YOU!! For your inspiration, for your grace. Without knowing you, you inspire me to be better at releationships and memory keeping :)

12. Cynthia

2012-01-24 19:56:56 -0800

another great post! I so love love love that first photo...priceless! I kind of miss the parties we had when Nick was younger. there is nothing better than a bunch of kids running around having so much fun.

13. Sue I.

2012-01-24 21:18:20 -0800

Absolutely love that photo of Simon and Anna with the glasses! Hysterical!

14. Heather

2012-01-24 23:29:30 -0800

Ninja go has a show also, it started last week, been taping it for my kids who love all things lego

15. patty

2012-01-25 06:23:22 -0800

LOVED reading this post...
    you do have a way with life . with words . with stories .
    with L*O*V*E...
    thank you for sharing it all!

16. Jamie Stahl

2012-01-25 07:53:20 -0800

Cool thing #10? How positive you are about everything. I'm sure you don't always feel that way, but expressing thanks the way you to is a gift. Happy birthday to Simon.

17. Suz

2012-01-25 11:19:46 -0800

Fabulous day for Simon and for all of you. TFS. :)

18. Liz Ness

2012-01-25 16:59:28 -0800

What an awesome photograph (the featured one)--all of them are great, really. However, I'm imagining another done in the same glasses some day when they are about 10 years older--than twenty. The glasses are classic! (You know, the then and now photography, like this: http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2011/03/then-and-now-portrait-photography-by-irina-werning/)

Also, happy birthday to Simon and HUGS to you! =)

19. Julia S

2012-01-26 09:47:22 -0800

So happy to hear he had a great party. My special guy is also on the Autism Spectrum and would of loved all the fun! ;-) Too bad we're in St.Louis...thanks as always for sharing Ali!

20. Creative Photo Albums

2012-01-31 07:42:42 -0800

Ali, you have this way of telling stories. I mean they are short descriptions but I seem to be in the party. Happy birthday Simon. The first picture with your sis is definitely cute. And oh, I the lasagna looks delicious. Hope you'd share the recipe one of this days.

Annabella

21. seo

2012-01-31 09:29:57 -0800

Just about all of the things you articulate happens to be supprisingly appropriate and that makes me wonder why I had not looked at this with this light previously. This piece really did switch the light on for me personally as far as this particular subject goes. But at this time there is just one point I am not really too comfortable with so while I make an effort to reconcile that with the actual central idea of your position, permit me see exactly what all the rest of your visitors have to say.Well done.

22. able mabel

2012-01-31 15:22:48 -0800

I love reading your writings. They are so thoughtful and well said.

23. Tina

2012-02-10 14:50:27 -0800

Happy birthday, Simon! I can't believe I've been reading funny and sweet stories about you for at least 6 years now! It's awesome to be 10. I was 10 about 33 years ago and I sure wish that I had all the cool Lego sets back then that you have now. Yes, I'm a girl that loves Lego, and I'm glad my 9-year-old son loves it too. Oh, and my son likes chasing, and he recently got a red balloon that he named Fred.

Cheers!

24. wow notas

2012-06-06 08:53:56 -0700

Hi there, You have done an incredible job.
    I will certainly digg it and for my part suggest to my friends.
    I am confident they'll be benefited from this website.

25. kim kardashian

2013-08-04 12:01:40 -0700

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I am quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!