Anna's First Soccer Practice

I grew up playing soccer.

Big-time, weekend-consuming competitive soccer until I entered high school. At that time I had to choose between swimming and soccer because they were the same season. Swimming won out.

I have great memories of playing soccer as a kid. Many a weekend and evening were spent on the field and often times in the Northwest, in the rain.

When I drove Anna to school yesterday we were talking about her going to soccer "practice" and that it might just be in the rain. I talked about how much fun it was to play in the rain and that my favorite part was that you got to come home and take a hot bath and get all clean again. She liked that part best.

Luckily it was just a bit windy and the rain held off.

This is what I call parents & kids & helpers & coaches all-over-the-place soccer.

It was a little chaotic but Anna was excited. It's just a fun, 4-week soccer introduction. A great chance to get outside and see if it's something she'd like to do more of in the future.

She got to run around, kick the ball into a net, try trapping, and run around some more.

She does pretty good waiting her turn too.

And as usual, there was some Simon chasing involved.

Looking forward to next week and maybe a bit-warmer weather.

Go Anna go!

1. Lisa W.

2012-04-17 11:34:00 -0500

LOVE this!!! Soccor is not real big here. But my kiddo's played up until 7th grade. They loved it!!!!!!! She looks SO cute. Just adorable!!!

2. Laura Moegenburg

2012-04-17 11:39:34 -0500

She is a shining STAR!

3. bianca alonso

2012-04-17 13:45:31 -0500

She is so adorable and looks like had so much fun!

4. Claire

2012-04-17 14:14:44 -0500

I don't have children, but yours always amuse me :-)

Thanks for sharing!

5. Sandra K.

2012-04-17 14:22:20 -0500

She is so cute!! Go Anna! It is so funny to see that soccer in the US is so much for girls, while in Europe it's a guy thing, so I had to choose between softball or ballet. I choose softball.

Sandra :)

6. Teri H.

2012-04-17 14:49:37 -0500

What a cutie petutie. My girls start soccer this month as well.

7. Maria H.

2012-04-17 16:52:53 -0500

Hi Ali. Your little Anna is such a little cutie :-) My daughter is now 15 and has been playing soccer since she was 7. She absolutely LOVES it !!! Where we live in southern New Zealand the girls play in with the boys until they are 16 years old, but that is not a problem to her and she can more than hold her own against them. Up until this year her and my son (who is a year younger) have always played in the same team, but my son has chosen to play rugby instead this year so I am a bit sad that their soccer days together are now over. Anyway, I'm really hoping your little Anna will grow to love her soccer as much as my soccer-crazy 15 year old daughter does. Do you realise that it could potentially give you the opportunity to amass thousands and thousands of soccer photos like I have managed to do over the years :-)

8. Mandy Szeto

2012-04-17 16:57:40 -0500

how cute!

9. Jana

2012-04-17 17:09:40 -0500

Oh yes, little kids & soccer - I remember the days well! My daughter started in 4th grade, when the main concern was how the uniforms looked & most of their time was spent fiddling with their long sox!! Anna looks so tiny out there---I bet she learns to love it :) as you will too!

10. Leanne in CA

2012-04-17 17:49:10 -0500

Oh my gosh, how cute is she! Time does fly and they grow up fast. Love it and thanks for sharing. Have fun Anna!!

11. Cinnibonbon

2012-04-17 21:23:04 -0500

Fun fun

12. Doreene

2012-04-17 21:55:15 -0500

Ali-no matter what sport they choose--save the t-shirts and when they are in high school, find someone that will make a quilt out of them. It is something I did for other people and the high schoolers love them. Anna looks sooo darling!

13. Paula

2012-04-17 22:06:54 -0500

What a cutie pie!

14. Doni

2012-04-17 22:22:19 -0500

Hard to believe Anna is already old enough to play soccer! It seems like only last year you gave birth to her. Anna, you rock, girl!

15. Alida

2012-04-18 00:12:12 -0500

I agree with Doni, she is growing up so fast! Do you have any photo's of you playing soccer? I haven't seen such a lay-out yet.

16. A. Sanborn

2012-04-18 04:34:02 -0500

Your ending photo of Anna is my fav!

Take in every moment... before you know it... you'll be where we are... facing another cake n' candle day {our daughter} this week and a looming junior high graduation... it's a tad "bittersweet!"

17. dawn

2012-04-18 05:23:23 -0500

How sweet she is in her big shirt, soooo love these shirts! I smiled at all these pictures and your story, hope she loves it as much as you did.

My first 3 kids begged to play soccer but I knew nothing about it except for the cold and sitting outside in all weather. I like sports inside, haha.... I said know for years to all of them, they finally found other sports to enjoy. Then along comes Sam and his best friend starts soccer and we went to a game of his. It was exciting and cold and fun and lots of cheering. Sam asked again with those puppy eyes and I said "YES" that was when he was 3 and the next season we signed up and have played since then. He even joined the Travel team for a year and we just stepped down from that. Every season has been so fun to see him out there and I LOVE LOVE soccer now and tell all the parents how cool it is and Yes to sign up even if you won't like it your kids will love it.
    The crazy weather we play in doesn't bother me anymore and my all time favorite memory will be when Sam got to play his first game in the rain. He was soooo happy that they didn't cancel and he got to play in it. He turned to my hubby and me and smiled and gave us a thumbs up thankfully the camera was on and I captured that moment. It is framed and in his room, looove seeing that happy face.
    Well, this season Sam had a choice to make after coming home with a paper about tennis lessons and they are at the same time as soccer. He thought about it for a couple weeks and decided to do the tennis and do soccer in the fall. It's already weird not being at the soccer fields and I miss it but am excited about this new phase in his life.
    Thanks for sharing Ali and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more about this soccer journey! GO ANNA GO!!

18. Tammy Davis

2012-04-18 07:51:07 -0500

Oh, Ali! Anna is SO adorable and I just love seeing her interaction with her brother. You are a lucky girl!!!

19. Anne-Marie

2012-04-18 15:54:24 -0500

It was so fun seeing the pictures of Anna at her first soccer practice. My daughter is now 10 and has been playing for years! What fun memories!!

20. sharon

2012-04-18 17:30:27 -0500

Hi Ali,
    '
    Oh Anna is growing up and so fast! Times fly's away before you know it "first school dance" and oh yes, how about the sleepover and "Mom , I really want to find a new hair do!!! Love it all...our Mia is 2 1/2 going on 22 if you know what I mean. Last of the babies for the family
    so we are treasuring all of the time spent with the little one...I could not believe how tall Simon is now....thanks for sharing and blessings and hugs...

Sharon Dryjanski Phoenix AZ

21. J3SS1C4

2012-04-18 18:50:54 -0500

Those photos of Anna are the cutest! Hopefully she enjoys soccer like you used to. It's nice to see little kids getting into sports early on!

22. Pat Mossgate

2012-04-18 20:06:52 -0500

Hi, Ali;

So you have a soccer star in the making. LOL Anna looks like she is having fun despite the cool weather. I sure hope the weather would make up it's mind though LOL One day it's hot enough for t's and shorts and the next its back to winter wear LOL
    The reason I am contacting you today is for Simon. Hi Simon :)
    I am aware he has austism and today I found this smart phone app specifically designed for autistic children made by a man who built it for his brother.

If you decide to look into it and find it helps Simon, please pass it around.
    Thank you Ali.
    Have a fab day
    Huggins
    Pat

23. Molly

2012-04-19 08:42:52 -0500

Glad to see you're using the blog as a "holding place" again for your stories -- as you've wanted. I need to do that again as well, and lift my reserve.

24. Anna's First Soccer Practice | Ali Edwards | G-IN

2012-04-19 17:12:46 -0500

[...] soccer until I entered high school. At that time I had to choose between swimming and …aliedwards.com/2012/04/annas-first-soccer-practice.html Be Sociable, Share! Tweet (function() { var po = [...]

25. Teresa

2012-04-24 20:23:16 -0500

I hope Anna enjoys soccer. We started with soccer 4 yrs ago. My daughter is 9 and athough we have tried softball and basketball we have stuck with soccer for now. She even likes to run with me for now.