Dear Anna, Love Katie

Dear Miss Anna,

Right now you are just bursting with energy and love, sometimes a little too much energy :)

Right now you love, love, love barbies. You love dressing them up and have them go to parties, on vacation, and to the grocery store.

Right now I've been missing you during the day while you are at school. I'm working with your mommy full time now as her assistant. Which is why I'm so happy I get to pick you up from school almost everyday.

Right now I have loved reading the titles to your paintings that you paint each week at school (your teacher writes the titles at the top of the painting). A few of my favorites have been "A princess waiting in her castle for the mermaid to come to her party" and "Ghosts playing in the ocean."

Right now you have a very strong opinion on almost everything you do. Which is sometimes accompanied by a foot stomp and hands on your hips.

Right now you have been more and more interested in what your mommy does and scrapbooking. Which is totally awesome.

Right now you are learning new songs at school for your upcoming Christmas performance. You've been giving us some adorable previews of these songs.

Right now you give the best hugs and kisses

Right now you love your new purple Ugg boots

Right now (and ever since I met you at 4 months old) I feel so lucky to be in your life. You bring me so many smiles and days of laughter.

Love you Anna girl.

Love, Katie

MEMORY KEEPING TIP FROM ALI | Having someone else be a contributor to your memory keeping endeavors is a great way to add depth to the stories you're collecting. Who could you invite to write about someone in your life that could then go on a scrapbook page or into your Project Life album? Want more ideas for getting the stories of your life documented? Check out my 31 Things self-paced online workshop at Big Picture Classes for 31 days of prompts.

And just a note to say that Katie has been one of the biggest blessings to come into my life. Not only is she an awesome employee (started out as our nanny more than three years ago) she has become one of my very best friends. I am so thankful for her every day and am so excited to be embarking on this next working adventure together.

1. Lisa W.

2012-11-12 08:53:18 -0500

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is so special...and Ali that Anna is SO cute just darn right beautiful!!!!!

2. Shanon Gibson

2012-11-12 09:12:32 -0500

So, so sweet! It is great that you have people in your life that love your children so much. Thanks for sharing this.

3. Bethany

2012-11-12 09:27:33 -0500

Ali . . . The love that you have for your children is wonderful to behold. Anna is growing up so quickly and Simon is his own unique young man. I just saw a post on pinterest that I thought perhaps you and Simon might particularly enjoy (how to make xmas ornaments with legos). Here is the link: http://www.chrismcveigh.com/cm/lego_ornaments.html
    Happy holidays to you and your family . . .

4. Bethany

2012-11-12 09:28:03 -0500

Happy holidays to you and yours.

5. jaimee h.

2012-11-12 09:36:22 -0500

As a former nanny/babysitter (whatever you call it), I so love Katie sharing her thoughts on Anna here. I love the kids I cared for, even still, as I don't take care of them any more. But that family will always be a important part of my life and Katie's words here make me get all wistful about those good ole days. Thanks for sharing today.

6. Steph

2012-11-12 09:53:42 -0500

I love this! One of the best things we can do for our kids, I'm convinced, is to let other people love them. I've always been a working Mom, sometimes inside the home and other times an hour's commute away, so other people have always shared with me in caring for my kids. That used to really bother me, like I was somehow "less than" because I couldn't be there every minute.

But as they have gotten older, I hear how they talk about their old nanny Soledad, and how they talk about staying with my folks while I was out of town on business, and how they love the before/after school program at their school that I sometimes use when my work day is longer than their school day.

I love that other people get to see the wonderful side of my kids and experience it in a way that is unique to their specific relationship. And more than anything, I treasure the stories and the phone calls from preschool and the little anecdotes that people pass along as they help me raise these little humans. <-- Sometimes, now that my boys are 10 and 12 and the girl is 11, I'm not convinced they actually ARE human, but that a whole other topic. =)

It's a beautiful thing to share your child's love with other people. Thank you for sharing this today, you have hit the jackpot with Katie, and she with you. :)

7. Jamie

2012-11-12 10:06:12 -0500

Working with people who are your friends is certainly a blessing. Your sidenote is so heartfelt and sweet. I love this post!

8. Jenni Hufford

2012-11-12 10:46:29 -0500

i think everyone needs a Katie. So awesome to see this relationship!

9. Melanie Britt

2012-11-12 10:51:47 -0500

Love this. Do I spy a bakers rack? What a great idea!

10. Nadine Karen

2012-11-12 12:33:37 -0500

This is wonderful! Anna is a very lucky girl.
    I also need to comment on your leaves- they are magnificent!

11. Chris

2012-11-12 12:33:57 -0500

I love that she has her Uggs on in every photo. So Anna right now!

12. Katie D.

2012-11-12 13:00:57 -0500

This warms my heart! I was a nanny (and also a Katie!) for several years, and that relationship is so, so special.

13. pidgen

2012-11-12 13:37:44 -0500

I am a nanny and last year I made scrapbooks for the girls. Their parents think I'm the best nanny ever! lol. I scrapbook about them so very much in my own album {PL ... so it's kind of a given, seeing as how they are such a big part of MY life.} I think Katie's journaling will be such a treasure to Anna.
    I used to nanny for a little boy and girl. And when they moved away, their mom put my picture up in thier rooms. Aww, really made me feel special - like the Aunt I always wanted to be. :) So, it's awesome that you appreciate how much Katier loves your kids -- because, obviuosly, she does.

14. Taniesa V

2012-11-12 13:39:16 -0500

such adorable journaling... and oh my gosh that super A cape is AWESOME!

15. Krista Nash

2012-11-12 14:03:42 -0500

How wonderful! I am going to have to ask my sitter to do the same for my girls. I am terrible about getting pictures of her with them and she's been in their lives for the past 4 years! Ali, your kids are going to be so blessed when they get older to have these reflections from special people in their lives.

16. Sue W

2012-11-12 14:12:19 -0500

beautiful and special letter from Katie! I love the purple ugg booys too!

17. susan garner

2012-11-12 14:13:23 -0500

2 Thumbs up for Katie. Does she have a blog ?

18. Jennifer L.

2012-11-12 14:48:24 -0500

You really are blessed to have Katie! Finding decent childcare was by far one of the most difficult endeavors I have had as a single, working mother. I would have given my left arm for a Katie! Good for you, and God bless Katie for being the warm, loving, helpful person she is. You deserve her!

19. Tricia Canonico

2012-11-12 14:55:09 -0500

So glad you found Katie! I was just thinking of you & your life post-Anna & pre-Katie! We still talk to and visit with our Jenna whenever we can. :)
    Happy to see Anna is enjoying her supergirl cape! I got the template for the cape off the internet somewhere. I enlarged lower case letters in times new roman & printed those for the initial on the back.
    Here's a link to the blog post about the capes I made for my Alice's supergirl birthday party. It includes other examples of the cape.

Miss you guys! :)

20. Kristin A.

2012-11-12 14:55:52 -0500

This is so very sweet. Such a great idea to give these prompts to special people in the lives our children. Asking someone to write something can be daunting, but a few phrases to complete isn't such a big deal.

Where did you get the cape? It is adorable.

21. donna c

2012-11-12 17:04:09 -0500

Don't we all wish to have a care-giver like Katie! Brava! Beautifully writtne!

22. kate

2012-11-12 22:40:09 -0500

this is so sweet. go katie! go anna! go momma!

23. Angie Blom

2012-11-12 23:55:03 -0500

What a treasure to have Katie .. And for Katie to be such a big part of your family! I love this !

24. Beatrice Farnum

2012-11-19 16:04:36 -0500

Would love to meet Ms. Katie!

25. 5.5 Tips For Beginning Memory Keepers | Ali Edwards

2014-04-21 06:00:50 -0400

[…] to write about the things you’re thankful for, letters to your kids that document where they are right now, a list of the most meaningful moments in your life up to this point, etc. Scrapbooks are such an […]