Let's Go To The Movies

You may or may not know that I really love going to the movies.

This is such an awesome time of the year for movies. On the first of December I'll be pulling out all of our holiday/Christmas movies we like to watch here at home. Today I wanted to share some of the movies I'm excited to see at the theater in the coming months.

In the last couple of weeks I've seen Flight, Argo, and just yesterday had my first experience ever attending an all-day movie marathon at the theater watching all the Twilight movies from beginning to end including the new one. Crazy and so fun.

Here's some of the other ones I'm planning to see when they hit the theaters - interestingly enough they are all based on famous books (some I have read and some I haven't). Click on any of the links to watch the trailer:

Les Mis | Love this extended trailer that talks about how they sang the songs live on camera as they were filming vs. recording the soundtrack first and then lip-syncing during filming. I've never read Les Mis so I just picked up the book and am hoping to get through it before the movie comes out.

The Hobbit | I'll be taking Simon to this one. Loved the Lord Of The Rings series and picked up the book for us to read together.

Life Of Pi | The preview for this one looks amazing. Another great book.

On The Road | Crazy iconic book. Probably crazy movie too (looks like it from the preview).

The Great Gatsby | My favorite book. I read this one junior year of high school with Mr. Ploof. He was an awesome english teacher - the best I had throughout high school and college.

Bring on the holiday movie season! Anything you are looking forward to seeing soon?

Grey star pattern paper shown above found here.

1. Jan B

2012-11-16 09:22:07 -0600

We have recently seen Argo and Flight as well. That last scene in Argo - wow! I share the same list of "must see's" as you do, Ali, with these important additions: Lincoln, Anna Karenina and Hitchcock (not sure that's the name, but it's Hopkins starring as Hitchcock during the making of Psycho...not sure WHEN it's coming out, actually, but I'll be there!).

2. Jasmine

2012-11-16 09:24:54 -0600

My kids & I love going to the movies! December here is the start of our long summer holidays and we go to the movies a lot - usually to escape the hot weather. I've been to one movie marathon, my mum took my siblings and me to a Star Wars marathon. i think it was when Return of the Jedi came out & they played all 3 originals back to back. I fell asleep sometime during Empire Strikes Back - my 9 yr old son was most disappointed in me when i told him - ha! My mum used to read lots of great books to us. The Hobbit is the most memorable one, so I can't wait to see the movie. I read The Great Gatsby in high school too - I've been looking forward to the new film version since I saw the trailer a few months ago.

3. MIchelle L

2012-11-16 09:50:43 -0600

DOn't get too excited about Great Gatsby this month because they moved it to March! =(

I am geeking out about The Hobbit though! One of my all time favorites stories. I can't wait!

4. Kendra

2012-11-16 10:20:20 -0600

I want to see Rise of The Gurdians with my family. Jack Frost, Santa, the Easter Bunny.....looks like fun!

Saw the Breaking Dawn Part 2 last night. Was an aewsome movie!

5. Kareen

2012-11-16 10:21:24 -0600

My son ( now 20yrs. ) and I have favorite Christmas movies that we watch every year. For the past 7 years or so we have loved The Grinch with Jim Carrey and Love Actually. The latter is not appropriate for young kids.

6. Christina

2012-11-16 11:37:20 -0600

Thanks for postings the video on Les Mis! It was really neat to see how they filmed the singing. Anne Hathaway and that song have been in my head since I saw the preview a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to see the movie. And I wish I could sing that song like she does! It is packed with emotion that moves you.

7. Raylene

2012-11-16 12:12:41 -0600

Ali, I LOVE MOVIES TOO! First the 2 favs for my kids: Muppets Christmas Carol and The Christmas Story (shoot your eye out!) Also a Twilight fan! Hubby & I used to see a movie each week, but he is so busy these days and I work nights most weekends, so it hasn't worked out lately, but we are a Movie family for sure!

8. rhonda nickol

2012-11-16 13:15:42 -0600

I am so looking forward to watching "White Christmas" and "It's A Wonderful Life" and I will be going to the theaters to see"Lincoln"!

9. Jan

2012-11-16 14:10:34 -0600

Wow...If I wrote the same post we would have the exact same list. Except I haven't seen Flight yet and I'm also anxious to see Silver Linings Playbook. But it's Les Mis that I'm most obsessed about seeing. Also, although it's not new, my husband and I watch Love Actually on the last Saturday before Christmas every single year, and I really look forward to that.

10. JenRay

2012-11-16 16:31:39 -0600

With littles, we don't get out to the movies much, and with no cable TV (we mostly stream, if we watch at all) I usually don't even have a clue what is out. But we are going to see Argo tonight! I also want to see The Hobbit and Lincoln, and a girlfriend and I have plans to see Les Mis (hubby is not interested, which makes the babysitter issue much easier to cope with!) I'll have to check out the trailers for the others you mentioned.

11. Kim

2012-11-16 17:13:38 -0600

An all day movie marathon at the theater? That sounds awesome! I like your movie line ups too.

12. Stacy

2012-11-16 17:50:28 -0600

Yep! I'm also looking forward to many of those same flicks. We LOVE to watch the Hallmark channel during the Christmas season too. They have a Christmas theme which has already begun. Even my dh enjoys Hallmark movies...Wholesome and free! Can't beat that! Enjoy your weekend :-)

13. Debbie D

2012-11-16 19:24:23 -0600

Go see Pitch Perfect if it is still out1 Highly entertaining and just fun!

14. Paula

2012-11-16 23:11:45 -0600

Here Comes The Boom is still out, and I really enjoyed it!

15. Debie Grace

2012-11-17 00:51:16 -0600

I'm excited to watch The Great Gatsby!! :)

16. Mel

2012-11-17 01:55:43 -0600

Thanks for sharing that extended trailer. Seen the stage production and that music sends shivers down my spine can't wait to see how the did with the film. Jealous that you did the whole day Twilight! I was sooo tempted but just went to see the new one last night.WOW. They had me so worried there.

The Silver Linings Playbook is a fantasic book so will go and see that too.

17. dawn

2012-11-17 04:47:13 -0600

WOW, all day movies, doesn't your back get sore after that?? I bet you enjoyed it, how fun for you!!

We are a family of 5 so we don't get to see all the movies only the ones that come to the cheaper theater. My hubby and I haven't been to a movie in over 10 years. Just the kid type movies is all we see now.

Our favorite holiday ones to watch here at home though are..Home Alone, Snow Day, Cheaper By the Dozen, Elf and this year I will purchase the Arthur's Christmas movie which we LOVED!

Wishing there was a good kids movie coming out for us but we don't see any we all like yet, will run your list over with the kids and see what they think. Thanks for sharing these with us, I had no idea this many were coming out soon.

Have fun!!

18. wendy blackman

2012-11-17 15:26:00 -0600

cannot wait to see Gatsby and am going to read Les Mis..have never read it. Some of our favorite movies here are the original Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, Elf, Home Alone (all), Rudolph, Frosty, and of course Charlie Brown. There is a pin on pinterest of ABCFamily's Christmas movie line up starting Dec. 1.

19. Traci Brookes

2012-11-18 01:50:58 -0600

I am with you...only you forgot to add Lincoln, Anna Karenina to the list of must sees this year. I am going to be living at the theatre. But I love you posted this...inspires me to write/photograph/scrap about this is Project Life.

20. Noell

2012-11-18 08:21:43 -0600

I read Les Mis in high school - an abridged one with just the extended history sections taken out. It's an amazing story. I hope you love it!!

I've been hoping to re-read Gatsby before the movie comes out but I'm only half-way through my current book, which is very LONG -- East of Eden by Steinbeck -- so I don't know if I'll get to Gatsby before the movie hits. And I've GOT to see Gatsby as soon as it's in the theater!!!

How exciting that so many of the movies right now are based on classics.

I'm waiting for someone to make a really good Wuthering Heights. That's my favorite.

21. Vanessa Babin

2012-11-18 11:22:15 -0600

I love holiday movies, white Christmas, Christmas Vacation, and Elf are 3 of my favorites. Just saw Les Mes in New Orleans with my daughters! Great production and looking forward to seeing the movie next.

22. Jen

2012-11-18 15:59:00 -0600

I can't wait to see Les Miserables!! The trailer just made the anticipation even more so! And also looking forward to seeing The Hobbit. Loved the Lotr books and movies, so I can't wait to see how they did with this one!

23. Deirdre

2012-11-20 11:07:31 -0600

Lincoln! Not sure I can wait until it comes to our small town. Love everyone involved in it, and sounds like a great script.

Can't wait to watch Elf and It's a Wonderful Life and Charlie Brown Christmas with our boys!

24. Mallory

2012-11-23 13:23:34 -0600

I love getting my Christmas movies on Netflix every year. Working on my queue now. Would love to see your list!

25. Tinka

2012-11-29 23:11:22 -0600

I am so looking forward to seeing Les Mis...in fact, I'm thinking about going on Christmas Day when it opens! Almost bought the book last night but I already have about a dozen that are waiting to be read so will wait. Just saw the stage show a couple months ago...fabulous!