December Daily™ 2012 | Day Seven

Today I said hello to a full-size fake Douglas Fir.

On the right side I used Educational Insights stamps + red Staz On + stitching with silver thread for a really big title sentence. On the left side I enlarged a photo (approximately 7.25 x 4.5) to a full size page that will live outside of the page protector (punched holes in the photo by using a page protector as a guide).

On top of the photo I added a label from Jenni Bowlin, a transparent arrow and created a small flap with a card from the Studio Calico December Daily kit and a white piece of cardstock (see image below).

To hold down the flap I added a Tim Holtz Game Spinner.

Inside the flap (created using washi tape on the outside and inside) I added my journaling.

Hope you have a fantastic December weekend.

SUPPLIES

Click on the images to link to the products.

TODAY'S POST IS SPONSORED BY | PAPER SOURCE

Paper Source is a premier paperie and online retailer offering a unique selection of fine and artisanal papers, invitations and announcements, personalized and distinctive gifts, gift wrap, greeting cards, custom stamps, and a custom collection of envelope and cards. Paper Source offers an original aesthetic, with a color palette and proprietary designs that are developed and created exclusively by us.

SHARE A LINK TO YOUR DAY SEVEN

You’re invited to include a link to your DAY SEVEN page here. Please link directly to your post vs. your general blog link.

1. Mel

2012-12-08 11:32:35 -0500

Love the larger size photo and the journal card great idea!

2. Paula

2012-12-08 12:00:34 -0500

It's all about what works for you...and knowing you can change up whatever you want whenever you want! I bet your tree will look beautiful.

3. Steph S.

2012-12-08 12:04:19 -0500

Firm believer in fake:)

4. Tara

2012-12-08 12:31:28 -0500

Ali! Say it isn't so! Not a fake tree! Nooo! Lol!

5. Camilla Blue

2012-12-08 12:51:47 -0500

We've had a fake tree ever since we've had kids mostly because I prefer the convenience. I was always a bit concerned that our kids would catch on that I was lazy and be angry about what they were missing. But my youngest (4) recently discovered that people cut down trees every year and she was horrified that people would be so MEAN to the trees at Christmas. My child would love your decision.
    Love your pages

6. northcarmen

2012-12-08 13:14:43 -0500

I think we will do a fake tree this year too, just so we can have it up longer. The air is so dry here that even with regular watering, a cut-down live tree just doesn't last more than a couple of weeks. Seems a bit ironic since we literally have a forest of evergreens across the street from us, but it is what it is. And my parents will have a real tree for when we visit there at Christmas.

7. Christine

2012-12-08 14:07:01 -0500

I grew up with real trees in my childhood and into the early years of marriage. Then one Christmas my husband was deployed and I decided to buy a faux tree. The first year I used it I didn't fluff the branches out enough but in later years people visiting thought the tree was real. Then we moved to Hawaii where real trees are expensive and dry out very fast. I was glad to have my faux tree. In the years since then we took a break and put up a real tree a few times. It is great to have an option but I am very biased to my faux tree.

8. Mel

2012-12-08 15:03:14 -0500

I went to a fake tree after I got divorced. My mom went to a tabletop tree and she gave me her big fake tree - actually my dad picked it out before he died 21 years ago- so it has sentimental value - and was free! Fake is so much easier to deal with - I just keep it in my basement with the lights still on it and carry it up in December.

You are right we need to create new traditions to fit our new life.

9. M

2012-12-08 15:20:09 -0500

We are empty nesters now and going out to cut a tree without one of the kids is not much fun, so I will have to wait until college finals are over next week.

I can't quite bring myself to give up the real tree yet- but it is clearly a trend.

The state which produces the most trees in the entire country is now down by 1.5 million compared to selling more than 8 million a year a few years ago. (Yes, our home state, Oregon.)

10. glee

2012-12-08 16:02:28 -0500

I've been struggling w/the live tree issue as well since they die so quickly in the house. Still bought a real one this year, but who knows what will happen in 360 days??

11. jengd

2012-12-08 17:25:33 -0500

I have to say I really appreciate this post first because it's a great looking page and second because I'm seriously on the fence about a fake tree. I LOVE real ones. I LOVE going and cutting a real one. Or at least, I did when we lived in NJ for 10yrs. It was an easy 40min drive to several PA tree farms with a great selection of trees. In in NC, the farms are about 2hrs away and the only thing you can find cut is a frasier fir. We tried to cut a Norwegian Spruce last year at the only local cut-your-own, the single tree they had larger than 6ft and the only tree that wasn't a frasier, and thing dropped almost every needle it had in 3wks. We got a Frasier this year but between the mess and the cost... I may be heading down the fake path too. And as you say, there's no reason it has to be a permanent decision.

12. Rebecca

2012-12-08 20:35:02 -0500

not having to remember to water a real tree, and having the whole tree dry out and drop its needles everywhere and then it messes up the vacuum cleaner and you're on your hands and knees picking out needles from the carpet? Priceless. ;)

13. Kathy L

2012-12-08 23:09:52 -0500

The beauty of a fake tree is that you can use it when you want. This year YES, next year maybe NO. Love that they come prelit.

14. Laura L

2012-12-09 01:12:25 -0500

Love your Dec. Daily post! I have 3 little fake trees that I just love to use in addition to a big "real tree". I use them in the basement den as decor during the year since we live in MT.

15. {vicki}

2012-12-09 09:26:21 -0500

Hope you enjoy your tree
    I've always had a fake tree---I like them because they are sturdier and you can bend the branches however you want so you can put your ornaments in just the right spot

16. Damiane Lucas

2012-12-09 11:17:58 -0500

I absolutely LOVE your creative and funny sentiment! As for me, I can't embrace the thought of a phoney Christmas tree. No fakes for me. It's only the REAL thing -- or nothing.

We love you, Ali! Your DD album speaks volumes of your fun life. Thank you for being such a wonderful inspiration. Keep posting. Keep sharing.

God bless and Merry Christmas.

17. Sandra L.

2012-12-09 12:33:42 -0500

I had to smile at your title! Growing up, we always had a fake tree and I would beg my parents for a real one. So the first year I was married, I got a real tree. It had prickly needles that fell out all over (we were still cleaning them up in July) and it was sappy and sticky. The next year we bought a 6' fake.
    I was thinking of getting a real one this year, and then I thought, Wait a minute...do you really want to be feeding and watering this thing like a PET?!

18. EmilyM

2012-12-09 12:36:13 -0500

Hahaha! I did that a few years ago, and now--long story-- I have TWO big FAKE trees. I love how you put it out there that way. And, having spent my childhood cutting real trees down on my family's land, and always having a real tree, it is a little crazy to have a fake one. But it has it's benefits in a different way. Enjoy. I took the stance that I can always get a real one some years and keep my fake one boxed up. Nice to have the choice.

19. December Daily 2012 | Day Eight | Ali Edwards

2012-12-09 13:15:40 -0500

[...] I stared off knowing I wanted to use three photos and that I’d be working with the back of the enlarged photo I included for Day Seven. [...]

20. Alida Post

2012-12-09 14:11:57 -0500

We bought a fake tree on half price sale in our first year being married. It's huge and we've had it up every year for the last 13 years. Decided to not put it up this year as we don't really have the space right now. Going for lots of candles and twinkle lights instead. Enjoy your tree!

21. Sara S.

2012-12-10 12:05:19 -0500

You are SO funny. Fake tree owner!
    Glad you are embracing it.

22. December Daily 2012 | Day Fourteen And Day Fifteen | Ali Edwards