CHA | 2013

Another CHA (Craft & Hobby Association trade show) has come and gone.

Many (probably most) people go to check out all the new products.

I go to see all that stuff but I also really go for the people. Handshakes and hugs and smiles and laughter.

There are so many good people in this industry. Some of them are long-time friends and others have become friends in the last few years. I'm thankful everyday for the friendships I've made.

One of my most favorite parts this year was bringing Katie along for her first craft trade show experience. She's a natural.

She and I and my friend/tech guy Aaron flew down on Friday for the express purpose of hitting Disneyland before the show started on Saturday.

We ended up closing the park down. Tower of Terror x2. California Screamin x2. Dancing at the Mad Hatter Tea Party. So fun.

First stop at the show was to say hi to my very dear friend Tim Holtz and Mario Rossi.

I loved finally meeting Liz Tamanaha who designed the new Project Life Midnight kit.

It's not really a secret that I love it (Liz has a fabulous design aesthetic) and can totally see it working with Seafoam later in the year (the new kits will be available in May at a retailer near you).

And speaking of Seafoam, having dinner with Elise Blaha Cripe and Stephanie Howell was a highlight.

Stephanie Howell was there working for My Mind's Eye.

Maggie Holmes new line for American Crafts is awesome.

Elizabeth Kartchner. Always love her style.

Amy Tan. She's got all kinds of cool stuff including some letter stickers that remind me of my old vellum favorites.

Getting the chance to see Becky Higgins everyday for three days was also a big highlight. We've been friends for a number of years now and getting to chat in person is always a treat. One of my favorite memories from the show was when I got to sit down with her and show her my Project Life album (album #3 for 2012 - photo at the top of this post). I actually cried talking about how much I love it and how special this project is to me. I know she gets it. It's my life in those pockets - my everyday, my ups, my downs, my people, my story. There's something so very special about the project and I can't thank her enough for establishing it as a concept. I think it's such an awesome entry point for people who want to document their lives.

As for favorite products at the show, here are a few things we saw that are on our wishlist:

A really cute interchangeable calendar stamp from Amy Tangarine's new line Yes, Please.

Sundrifter Wood Veneer Phrases from Studio Calico.

Sundrifters Circles Mask from Studio Calico.

Allison Kreft's new line for Webster's Pages - includes transparencies.

Dear Lizzy Rolling Phrase Stamp.

Distress Paint by Tim Holtz. Love the marbling and love that when it dries you can add new layers of color and it won't turn to brown.

Alpha Parts Numeric from Tim Holtz.

New tabbed journal cards from Elle's Studio.

Acrylic binder album from Clear Scraps. Thinking about using this for an upcoming album.

Precision Paper Trimmer from Fiskars. Watched a demo of this and it's definitely on my wish-list. You can see a video on Scrapbook.com here.

Heidi Swapp has some great see-through things - including alphabets (long live the see-through plastic alphabets) and tags.

Stitching templates from Amy Tangerine. Super cute.

Midnight Project life Kit designed by Liz Tamanaha.

I'm also excited about a bunch of different products from Simple Stories - lots of good stuff for Project Life in there too.

So cool. Seeing all the products makes me excited for creating. Looking forward to getting work done!

And a big thanks to everyone who stopped by the Technique Tuesday booth to say hello. So many kind words and friendly faces. You can also check out a video overview of my stamps filmed by Paperclipping.com over on my projects blog here.

1. Indy

2013-01-18 11:26:39 -0800

Wonderful new products! So excited!

2. Rebecca

2013-01-18 11:31:54 -0800

The ProCision is awesome, in my opinion. I've been using it since July, and I love it!

3. Michelle

2013-01-18 12:38:07 -0800

OK so I had a few tears reading about you having a few tears showing Becky your album.

4. Lisa W.

2013-01-18 13:00:53 -0800

DITTO...Marie said it best, couldn't sum it up any better. Thanks Marie....love you Ali!!!

5. mel

2013-01-18 13:55:59 -0800

Love all your favourites it must be amazing to be there. Hearing you thoughts about Project Life was lovely thank you for your honesty I feel that way about it too.

6. trisha

2013-01-18 14:03:58 -0800

I went to CHA and tried looking for you. That was my goal to meet you in person!! But I wasn't able to because every time I would go to the booth you were already gone. :( So hopefully next CHA!

7. Jennifer

2013-01-18 14:50:43 -0800

So great seeing you at CHA. And just so you know, you made my year and put me in scrapgeek heaven putting my acrylic binder on your blog!! You rock!

8. Amy Myers

2013-01-18 14:53:46 -0800

Ali, it looks like you had so much fun! I love that white crochet top of yours. You look so pretty wearing it!

9. TeriBeri

2013-01-18 16:55:00 -0800

Ali, I think you are such an amazing and down to earth person. I admire you for that.

Hugs and blessings always, T

10. denise

2013-01-18 19:08:42 -0800

Thank you, Ali, for all the wonderful pics of CHA and the newest products coming our way. Love your stuff!

blessings, denise :D

11. Alison

2013-01-18 21:00:53 -0800

Looking at your post about CHA brings back some great memories... I miss going SO much. Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your experience:)

12. Nita

2013-01-18 21:11:16 -0800

Love seeing the "lighter" side of you in this post. I am looking forward to a lot of your new stamps! love the pic of you with the midnight kit!

13. Suz

2013-01-18 21:45:19 -0800

Hi Ali!
    I SO enjoyed meeting you & Katie and chatting with you a bit. You both are awesome! Thank you for sharing, for your honesty, for your authenticity, and for sharing your love of photos+words with us all!

Take care you!
    :) Suz

14. Dawn Cheshire

2013-01-18 23:32:02 -0800

Love all the product picks and how great for you to meet up with friends old and new!

15. Debra

2013-01-19 00:02:44 -0800

Great post - loved seeing your photos from there and your picks!

16. Laura Steingiser

2013-01-19 04:46:21 -0800

Thank you so much for inspiring me in my adventures in creating. Thank you also for this wonderful peak into the CHA. I love to see the products and the people who create them, and the amazing ideas on how to incorporate them into my own work.

17. Christy

2013-01-19 07:18:35 -0800

Thanks for sharing all your favorite products from the show. Loved Noell's video from your booth.

18. Amy Jackson

2013-01-19 13:08:22 -0800

Thanks for the great sneaked Ali...tons of cool stuff! I am doing project life for the first time. Its a bit of a challenge to find my rhythm...but I'm getting there...and I can already tell how worth it this is.

19. annette allen

2013-01-19 17:58:26 -0800

so fun..love all the photos.. I wish I could have met you at CHA..

20. Alli

2013-01-20 08:20:22 -0800

Seeing you & Becky in that sweet & silly embrace makes me smile too! You two are a couple of my fave "celeb" sbers for a LONG time! SO enjoy reading your blogs and being inspired by you OVER & OVER & OVER again!!! Saw your video bit from Paperclippings last night!!! LOVE how you do your PL pages! I just started PL this year and I am LOVING it!!! I'm a big T!m & Mario fan too! Thanks for letting us peek into your life. I so enjoy seeing Simon & Anna grow up ... you're so blessed Ali! I'm so inspired by your outlook on life and am changing the way I look at things too. Keep up the wonderful attitude! I feel grateful to have you inspire me!

21. Amber

2013-01-22 11:37:08 -0800

I have to ask - where did you get your LBD? It looks stunning! And I adore your lace scalloped blouse as well. I'm in need of updating the wardrobe and loved these pieces in your photos.

22. sheri

2013-01-25 16:39:57 -0800

Hi Ali,
    Your lace top is really cute. Where did you get it from?

Thanks,
    Sheri

23. Pearl Maple

2013-01-26 11:06:25 -0800

Great round up of show highlights and fun new products. Was great to meet you and the team at CHA, hope 2013 is off to a fabulous start for you

24. liz

2013-01-26 21:44:52 -0800

Finally meeting you in person was one of the highlights of CHA. Love you Ali!

25. Karen K Scraps

2013-02-08 12:57:46 -0800

What a great time! Wish I could see you again, Ali. You look GREAT, btw! Hugs, K