Project Life 2013 | Week One

Ah, Project Life 2013 | Week One.

I found myself back in one of my least favorite places this week - playing catch up. My enjoyment level for this project tends to be higher (in the moment at least) when I'm capturing things over the course of the week vs. looking back at the photos and trying to remember what I wanted to remember.

And this is when I remind myself that it's okay. My old standby - that one little phrase - it's sure helped me through a lot of creative lows.

Frankly my desk is overflowing and that's not my favorite either.

All that said, it's done (along with week two and three that I'll share over the next couple of days) and I'm caught up and underway again for 2013. And I still feel the love.

Here's a look at week one:

A couple things I used this week are from the Studio Calico Project Life kit from both January and February: the "hello my name is" card, the "what a lovely life" title that was cut from a journal card and attached to the palm tree photo, the "2013" button, and the small "this makes me smile" tab.

I can't tell you how much I'd like to be back in Hawaii (or anywhere there is sun) right now. It's been terribly cold and grey here.

A Crate Paper Fourteen Stitched Labels was added to the photo of me and my Mom.

This week I played around with a die cut + photo + word sticker combination. I started by cutting a Thick 3x4 Journal Cards with the Silhouette:

These Thick 3x4 Journal Cards can be printed on cardstock, added to a photo in Photoshop or cut with the Silhouette like I did here.

They are great as frames or to create homes for photos or journaling.

I layered the die cut on top of the photo and added a bunch of word stickers from October Afternoon.

Love being able to add some words to half of a photo in a 3x4 pocket.

I also love being able to write directly on my photos. I use American Crafts Precision Pens or Slick Writers for writing directly on my photos. This is a Precision Pen in .o3 (my favorite size).

The stitched heart is from Pebbles and the little chipboard geotag accents was part of the January Studio Calico main kit.

Those great gold chipboard cursive letters are Crate Paper Gold Rainboots Foil On Trend Chipboard Thicker Stickers. "Today" journal card is from the Hello Days Story Card set. Love stitching them directly onto the photo.

The "so heart this" word art can be found as part of the Heart Today set.

SUPPLIES | 2013 | WEEK ONE

Click on the images to link to the products.

Project Life is a product and a system and a lifestyle created by Becky Higgins. It can be anything you want it to be. The core pieces used in my album are available here. If you live outside the US check Becky’s site for more information on sources. View all my posts about Project Life here.

1. Fiona

2013-01-23 13:45:19 +0100

Great pages, Ali. I like the way you used half of the photo for word stickers and the overlay. The photo of you and your mom together is so sweet!

2. Sam Simpson

2013-01-23 14:01:54 +0100

Oh thank God I'm not the only one that is playing catch up ALREADY!!! My kit only arrived while I was away on hols, so it has only just been opened today. However, feeling very inspired to get stuck into it.

3. Denise KC

2013-01-23 14:13:48 +0100

Ah! Love it!

I’ll be putting mine together this week, hopefully :-)

4. Lisa W.

2013-01-23 14:21:51 +0100

Absolutely beautiful. Your PL is always the BEST and so inspiring, and those kiddo's ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. kelly libby

2013-01-23 14:32:57 +0100

New England, Boston, specifically is very cold, too! I've heard great things about getting lots of Vitamin D (supplements) for winter blahs. blues. boredom. I just keep forgetting to try...

6. Karina K

2013-01-23 14:49:15 +0100

So happy to see your first weeks layouts! I cant wait for week 2 and 3! I feel behind after waiting for the Seafoam kit but this is exactly the inspiration I needed! Thanks Ali!

7. Michelle L

2013-01-23 15:01:24 +0100

Love it!

I have yet to do anything for 2013. My goad is to catch up befor ethe end of this week! I feel the same way about being behind. I love the project but I stress about it when I'm behind.

THanks for the inspiration!

8. Alida

2013-01-23 15:11:47 +0100

Sending you greetings from sunny South Africa- Joburg probably has the best weather in the world. You should visit! Ali, I'm so excited about the combination of you and the Seafoam kit this year-think it will be awesome! I've decided to also start posting my PL, but having a hard time getting good photo's of the layouts. A lot of glare and photo's of photo's don't look sharp enough. You seem to be a pro with this too.

9. ee k.

2013-01-23 15:42:02 +0100

Great start to the week. Glad to see I am not the only one getting started a bit late this year but getting caught up this week as well!

10. Kendra

2013-01-23 16:31:08 +0100

I'm curious. WHen you stitch the thickers right on to your photo.....does the needle go THRU the Thicker? or "around" (on either side) of it? WOuld you care to do a video demo? And are you thickers chipboard? or are they the foamy kind?
    Thanks!

11. Patti L

2013-01-23 17:05:49 +0100

Nice, refreshing layout. I too would rather b in Hawaii any day of the week! I'm finding I'm not my usual organized self lately too, despite the new year...playing catch-up and clean-up as well!

12. Kitty Whitlow

2013-01-23 17:26:42 +0100

Totally inspired. Been wanting to do this for 3 years now. After seeing this I FINALLY took the plunge and placed my order. Thanks for the inspiration!

13. Jacenda G.

2013-01-23 18:44:38 +0100

Ali, you amaze me with all your creativity! Love to see your PL weeks and all your ideas. Thanks for keeping us all inspired!

14. Angela

2013-01-23 18:54:54 +0100

I look at your weekly PL layouts every week and just when I think you've done it all you do something AWESOME like you did on the journaling card furthest to the left.

So dang creative!

15. Monica L.

2013-01-23 19:18:16 +0100

your pages are so pretty, so colorful. I need to get a Silhoutte!!!

16. Jeannie L

2013-01-23 19:33:05 +0100

I love the 3x4 & 4x6 frames you designed and use them often in my photos. I also love how you write and add frames on your photos but I don't like my handwriting as it's small and I don't write cursive. Would you be able to do more frame brushes with a theme on family?

I'm also just started with PL this year. And I'm definitely looking forward to seeing yours for inspiration.

17. Jo-Anne

2013-01-23 21:10:31 +0100

Hello from South Africa! Your pages make me want to scrap until 2am:-) Your work is inspirational and you just have such a natural talent when it comes to putting everything together and awesome, creative ideas! Thank you for all your HARD work and great ideas - you make it look so easy.

18. J3SS1C4

2013-01-23 23:44:50 +0100

I love how this page has turned out!! I bet your trip was a blast, and everyone looks so relaxed and happy! I also like what you've done with the pic of Simon split between the 2 3x4 spots with journalling... Awesome idea!

19. Lynne Gillis

2013-01-23 23:47:02 +0100

Great beginning to the PL 2013 year! Love the seafoam kit - mine arrived last week and I have been having a great time getting the first few weeks done... totally love that you share yours - always such an inspiration!

Quick question for you - I am an avid fan of your brushes, journaling cards, etc... but I am also a single woman without kids - and an entrepreneur (I have my own interior design business). I would love to see more frames, brushes, journaling cards, etc. that focus on "I" or "Me" instead of "we" (mostly because there isn't a "we" in my life right now!)... and I'd also love to see more words/phrases/themes around work, working for yourself, making a go of it, etc., because that's such a big part of my life.

Couple of thoughts for words/phrases might be:

Designing Life
    Seeing the big picture
    Collaborating
    A vision for the future
    Taking care of business
    Work, work, work
    Measure twice, cut once
    Design is important because chaos is so hard (Jules Feiffer)
    Everything will be okay
    Gracious living
    Living the dream
    Focus
    The magic is in the details
    What's stopping you?
    Do the next right thing
    Don't stumble over what's behind you
    Obsessed with possibility
    Getting things done
    Superglue yourself to the idea of standing out
    See clearings where others see walls
    Start with what's impossible. Do the mental cha cha.
    You affect positive change
    You got this. Make it happen.
    Make tough choices
    Start fresh.
    You'll figure it out.

(Geez... sorry for that brain dump! But I'm nothing if not an idea girl! LOL!)

Thanks! Can hardly wait to see the additions throughout the week!

Lynne

20. Brooke

2013-01-24 04:59:52 +0100

Love the inspiration thank you! Funny that reading this made me realize A) I need glasses or B) My eyes are still fuzzy from cutting onions. Hmm!

21. Wemdu

2013-01-24 07:18:43 +0100

thanks Ali as always you inspire me, Uou simply keep it REAL gotta love it.

22. Marie

2013-01-24 10:06:01 +0100

Yeah! First week of your 2013 PL! And I love it (as usual!). Can't wait to receive my Seafoam kit to start mine! Thanks Ali.

23. Marge

2013-01-24 20:27:15 +0100

Your PL posts are wonderful, as always, as well as inspiring! Thank you so much for continuing to show us your life! My wonderful husband gave me a Silhouette Cameo for Christmas this year, and I need some help! I recently purchased a download from Designer Ditigals, your "Hello Life Boxes Brushes and Stamps", and I have been unable to move them into my Silhouette Library. I know you posted some video tutorials a long time ago dealing with Silhouette projects, but haven't been able to locate those either. Can you help with ANY of this?! Thank you :)

24. Sheri

2013-01-24 20:33:01 +0100

Love this. What kind of Albums do you use. I desperately want to use ring binders but they always end up opening and I end up frustrated and going back to my cm albums.

25. Karly

2013-01-25 05:36:38 +0100

Great layouts! I love your journaling cards and the way that you wrote on the photo to frame it in ink! Looks awesome! : )