Project Life 2013 | Week Eleven

Welcome to Project Life 2013 | Week Eleven (March 11-17)

I'm still in a bit of a catch-up mode over here with the office move underway. Katie and I both worked on Project Life today at my kitchen table and in my kitchen - can't wait to get stuff back in the office and out of the kitchen.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about traditional layouts. This summer I'm teaching a 12-week workshop at Big Picture Classes that's going to include about 36 new layouts from me (3 per week during the class) and I'm excited to start working on those really soon. The class is called Hello Story and I'll have more details for you next month. Registration will open in May and the class starts right around the first of July. This workshop will be all new content and will feature 12 different ways to approach/frame your stories (I'm trying to make them all new approaches that I haven't included in previous classes).

It's been awhile (okay really quite awhile) since I put together a big bunch of traditional/non-Project Life layouts. I used to do them all the time, sometimes one a day when I first started. I loved the process. I loved the storytelling. I loved playing with the patterns and supplies and weaving them together with my words and photos. And I couldn't wait to make the next one. I think there's lots of different reasons I've gotten away from creating them - a stressful last couple of years, feeling like I couldn't find my voice or figure out how to tell the stories I was living, feeling like I didn't have the energy, doubting myself, focusing more on Project Life (which I love and will continue to do), spending too much time on other pieces of my business (designing vs. creating), etc, etc, etc.

A season for everything.

All that said, I'm feeling energized and excited to get a bunch of stories told via 12x12 and 8.5x11 pages. I've actually been dreaming about them and sketching out ideas. What's different now? Who knows exactly. But it's time. Time to create pages that tell stories I've missed. Pages that include creative techniques and demonstrate different ways to translate the same journaling ideas for different stories (stories about you, stories about your family, stories about the things that matter). If you're looking for me that's where I'll be - making pages and putting class content together. Ready, set, go.

I hope you'll consider joining me in class. And holy cow I wrote a whole lot more right up there ^ then I was planning.

Here's a look at Week Eleven:

Lots of pieces I used this week were included with the Project Life add-on kit over at Studio Calico. I especially love those Hey Boy Die Cuts & Transparencies from Basic Grey.

Can't go wrong with a real-life shot of me getting my hair done right?

The photo on the top right includes a wood-veneer card from the Studio Calico Project Life Add-On Kit that I cut and used half on one side of the photo and half on the other edge.

A favorite card this week is the "self-portrait" one from the Mayfield Childhood Edition. Anna had a 4-year check up this week (perfect time to use the card) and she drew a picture of herself there and told me, "Mommy, it's me looking at something really still."

Hand-journaling added around the transparent die-cut circle. Love that photo.

I was really excited to be included in Somerset Life this month.

I wrote a short piece about writing/blogging and about some of the impact it has had on my life. I really loved how they showcased the images I sent them within the article.

It's available in stores now or you can order it online.

"Love each other" is from my Family 3x4 Sentiment Boxes and was cut with the Silhouette. The time I cut off the top of the box outline - I like how that turned out. This is added into the page protector without anything behind it (in some of the images you can see a picture behind it - that's part of Week Twelve). Love adding see-through stuff in the pockets from time to time.

Click here for a tutorial that shows you how to trace my digital PNG files with the Silhouette.

The tabbed journal card (that says "documented" on top) is from Elle's Studio: Day To Day Tabs.

Letter stickers + handwritten words directly onto the photo.

Two of my guy friends from college who are part of a treasured group of local friends. I need to remember to do more of this combination of printed text + an embellishment. I like seeing them together like that.

SUPPLIES | 2013 | WEEK ELEVEN

Click on the images to link to the products.

Project Life is a product and a system and a lifestyle created by Becky Higgins. It can be anything you want it to be. The core pieces used in my album are available here. If you live outside the US check Becky’s site for more information on sources. You can check out all my posts (I started in 2010) about Project Life here.

1. Emilie

2013-04-04 22:44:29 +1000

You are still my FAVORITE scrapbooker!! (Maybe i stalked you a little at the last Creative Escape.. Maybe not) i CANNOT wait for your class!! I have missed your pages and creative inspiration!!

2. Christine

2013-04-04 22:46:17 +1000

So excited to see you're jumping back into more layouts. I truly enjoy your project life spreads and can't wait to see what you bring to your class :)

3. Dara Cohen

2013-04-04 23:01:25 +1000

So glad to hear about your new class, glad to hear you feel like getting back into that part of your creative life again.
    Dara

4. JulieE

2013-04-04 23:10:41 +1000

I've missed your "classic" layouts too! I can't wait to join the class.

5. Allison

2013-04-04 23:15:58 +1000

Woohoo! It is funny, I just had this realization about myself about a month ago. I have since made a couple of traditional layouts and was reminded how much I love that process (PL is now a couple weeks behind though...sigh). Now, reading your post, I recognize that I stopped doing traditional layouts around the same time you did. Bottom line is that you are such an amazing creative inspiration that I'd likely not do much of anything if it wasn't for you. Thank you so much for doing what you do! I can't wait to join you in your Big Picture workshop!

6. Kathy

2013-04-04 23:49:49 +1000

Love your page spreads and the B&W photos with some text...it's just so classic and strips everything down to just the "moment". Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

7. Dori

2013-04-04 23:59:05 +1000

As a non-working empty-nester with our grown kids scattered across the country, PL for me would end up like the movie "Groundhog Day", lol, the same things over and over. So I use 12 x 12 albums to tell my stories and fill them, mostly, with classic layouts in various sizes because I love that look. I also love love love divided page protectors and use them occasionally for my classic layouts, just so I can fill the individual little pockets - so fun! Your upcoming workshop has my name all over it! I've learned SO much from you and am really excited to learn more in your class. Thanks, Ali!

8. StacyK

2013-04-05 00:52:27 +1000

Ali, I'm SOOOO taking your class in July! Yay Can't wait!! As usual....you did good things with PL week 11. LOVE!

9. Patti L

2013-04-05 01:12:05 +1000

Thanks for inspiring on a day where I am just not feeling it. Very interested in your class. I have recently gone back to doing a few traditional 12x12 layouts, I usually reserve it for when I have a crop & can have time to work on it.
    Love your PL this week, lots of great details, neat ideas. All things that have been on my radar that I need to put into action!

10. abbeyviolet

2013-04-05 02:14:23 +1000

I am SO excited to see what comes next. I would love to see more of your 12x12 pages and where inspiration and story telling is taking you next. So excited for all of us and for you!

11. Jessica @The Mom Creative

2013-04-05 02:33:09 +1000

Yes to a crazy couple years and moving away from traditional layouts and doing more Project Life. My story is similar. I recently reorganized my paper stash to a system where I can see it and have been thinking about traditional pages and maybe doing more again. Excited to see what you come up with in your class. xo

12. Mallory

2013-04-05 02:38:59 +1000

Wonderful week Ali! I am now so inspired. Can't wait to sit down and get some PL weeks done (I'm behind too).

13. Jil

2013-04-05 02:44:42 +1000

Yay for your new class on scrapbook layouts! I'm looking forward to it already.

14. Annette

2013-04-05 03:04:15 +1000

So am in the same place with my "traditional layouts" your class sounds like just what I need to get me going again. I must have taken a hiatius with you... Can't wait for the class!!!!

A

15. Donna

2013-04-05 04:11:17 +1000

Looking forward to the layout class too. I have hardly completed a traditional layout in about 3 years. PL and OLW have helped clear my vision and keen to get some stories told!

16. Jenny

2013-04-05 05:38:56 +1000

I'm excited to hear of your class. I've found that at first with PL I didn't do much extra layouts but now I've realized it frees me up to document things beyond the day to day: myself, past times with my husband, my grandparents.
    Glad to hear you've gotten back the layout bug!

17. Kimmie

2013-04-05 05:49:44 +1000

Ali, I'm so excited about your upcoming class!

That photo of Anna (at her pediatrician?) is so cute -- Anna sitting so prim and proper. :)

18. Kimmie

2013-04-05 05:51:42 +1000

Oh, I forgot to add: Congrats on your article in Somerset magazine! I need to pick that up.

19. Tara Stewart

2013-04-05 07:25:03 +1000

I picked up the mag yesterday!!! The photo of Simon on his birthday is my favorite you've ever posted. Thanks for inspiring everyday.

20. J3SS1C4

2013-04-05 07:53:49 +1000

I'm excited for your upcoming class! I don't do many 12x12 pages either, but then again, I never really did. PL and a memorabilia book I'm working on are the most documentation I've done in a long time!

I love the card with the 3 sequins and the tick box journalling card. I think I'll be using similar ideas soon! And the pic of you and Simon, and of Anna getting her checkup are awesome!

21. Chelsea

2013-04-05 13:09:44 +1000

I love that your doing this!! I have LOVED Proj life but I certainly feel like it has made it really hard to create traditional, full-page layouts. I can't wait to see what you come up with, you're always so inspiring!

22. Muki S

2013-04-05 13:29:46 +1000

Oh my gosh, your car got broken into?! I hope nothing important got stolen. That's awful.

I'm really excited to see you do more traditional layouts, I've always found yours to be very inspiring. Great PL spread!

23. mel

2013-04-05 18:31:57 +1000

So happy for you that the idea of getting down to making 12 x 12 pages is a good and exciting one. I am excited to join you in class.

Great PL week as ever.

24. Kathy

2013-04-06 00:14:37 +1000

Thanks for all the wonderful inspiration you give each week. When I find not much has happened during the week I just hop over to your blog and it reminds me that even the littlest thing is worth remembering. Great PL week.

I love your digital brushes and would like to purchase some but do they come in the colors their displayed in or can they all be colored to match the project I'm working on?

Thanks again Ali for all the scrapping goodness.

25. alida

2013-04-07 02:12:04 +1000

Always wonderful pages. Excited with you about the upcoming classes but SO SO happy to read that you'll be continuing with PL (since you got me hooked in the first place :)