On Getting Back In The Swing Of Things

fair

Returning from a long vacation is always interesting.

Towards the end of my trip I was longing a bit for home and the normal everyday routines of life.

I was also missing my kids.

Divorce is a funny thing in that it's given me a bit more freedom from time to time but also tugs at my heart in so many different ways. I focus on the span of time, that things are temporary, that I should enjoy the moment I'm in and take it for the gift it is vs. wishing it away. All things we all face in our lives as we navigate different events and transitions.

Returning home means coming back to George (Katie's Mom lovingly visited him while we were away) and his silly antics.

Returning home means checking out the unplanned tomato garden. They are still going strong and getting closer to turning red.

Returning home means a change in the seasons is coming. Back to school plans and shopping are underway. Big changes for both kids as they each enter new schools this year.

Returning home means back to work. It also means a decompression of all the work-related observations and ideas I had while gone. Ideas about products, about ways to change up the things I've been doing, etc. Thinking about things to let go of to make room. Back to school time also feels like a good time for me to take a look at all my work stuff and figure out what's been working and not-working and plan/envision what's next.

Many people experience the desire to spring clean in the spring. I usually do too but I also acutely feel it as we transition from summer to fall. I'm going through the kids clothes making room for Anna's uniform staples and for longer pants and bigger shirts for Simon. I have plans to go through closets and tackle the toys too. I like the idea of fresh starts all around as we move into September.

I'm also thinking a lot about what it means to thrive. Emotionally, mentally, physically, spiritually, creatively. Lately I've felt a little like I've just been "making it through."

I realize my voice has been silent here for the last few weeks and probably a bit longer as a majority of my creative energy has gone into my Hello Story workshop. I'm looking forward to embarking on Week In The Life next month and finding new ways to share and express myself here.

As always, thank you for being here. For reading and commenting and being a part of this experience.

1. Pam

2013-08-21 12:51:30 -0500

We are so lucky for all you do! I love your work! You are my favorite! Thank you!!

2. Sabrina

2013-08-21 13:48:17 -0500

Welcome back, Ali! I share your sentiments regarding fall representing new beginnings. Even now that my daughter has graduated from college and we no longer have any back-to-school routines, I still find myself drawn to many of the same activities.

Take your time - it will all fall into place and you'll undoubtedly wake up one morning to realize that, without realizing that it snuck up on you, you're thriving!!

3. slmnontec

2013-08-21 14:33:09 -0500

"Just making it through" has been my lifeline for the past 5 weeks as I recover from open heart surgery right in the middle of summer activities. It has been so distressing to read blogs of people on vacation, seeing family, and just enjoying good sunny weather as I was cooped up in the hospital for 14 days fighting for my life. It was M I S E R Y ! I try to be thankful, but recovery is TOUGH. My spirits are low; my soul is injured. Sitting on a bench by the river, eating a picnic with my husband was a highlight to my life last night. I have to continually be reminded of those little moments during all of this "blackness". I'm going to LIVE MY LIFE TODAY.

4. Laura G.Turcotte

2013-08-21 14:46:24 -0500

What can I say that hasn't been already said previously?? Not much...so, with sounding like a broken record, I'll say it. A beautiful post from a person who has had her share of ups and downs in life..and has never lost sight of the real. Thank you...and ....just thank you.

5. Madeline St Onge

2013-08-21 15:16:24 -0500

Welcome back Ali, happy you had the time to relax and just be. I love fall, time to clear it out and clean it up

6. CJ

2013-08-21 16:09:13 -0500

I always have that desire to organise, declutter and be more effective in September as well. Just as soon as my boys are back at school I will be on it!

7. Lisa W.

2013-08-21 17:22:47 -0500

It is amazing how you "share" your thoughts, your concerns, your joys. And that is how we are all bound together as one. We all have stuff, concerns, and joys. Thank you for reminding me to take one day at a time. Missed you too, so happy your trip was wonderful, hoping to make it to Paris one time in this thing we call life:)

8. KarynS

2013-08-21 17:30:16 -0500

Welcome home Ali. It's lovely to have you back. AS always this post is very honestly & beautifully written. Looking forward to Week In The Life.

9. amberca

2013-08-21 18:47:33 -0500

I still love coming to your blog and hearing your voice come through. You have so much to offer and you always inspire me. I think I will also participate in 'week in the life' along with you.

10. Valerie

2013-08-21 20:52:24 -0500

I love how honest and real you are with us Ali. Thanks for sharing you creativity and bits of your life.

11. Carrie

2013-08-21 21:09:36 -0500

I hear an apology in that post, which is ridiculous. Your blog is a pleasure to your readers. You owe nothing, and no one would begrudge you a vacation. Take your time, recharge, let loose. When you have something creative to share, we will read. It's supposed to be fun!!!

12. Paula

2013-08-21 22:16:51 -0500

Reading this after a grueling last couple of weeks that actually started at the tail end of a lovely beach vacation and "stuff" has unrelentlessly kept me feeling like a ship on a stormy sea. Your post today hit home, I guess my translation of "making it through" is that I feel like I'm always "dealing with something" - be it a work assignment that is enjoyable but rushed, or a child situation that is scary or heartbreaking (sensory overload, OCD issues, fears & tears etc) - the ups and downs come in waves and are a way of life. Your post is a reminder to me though that this is my one and only life to live, and I have to find ways to shift and sometimes turn the boat around and head in new directions regardless. Thank you.

13. Andrea Melville

2013-08-21 22:30:10 -0500

I have definitely missed your posts while you were away but was so happy to see you having what looked like a truly memorable break..... will look forward to reading your posts...but take a breath and savour being home with your sweet children and all that home life has to offer...theres something about walking in the door of home after a break that brings new perspective and you don't want to hurry that moment.

14. ana frazee

2013-08-21 23:43:06 -0500

funny that you mentioned the word 'thrive'. for the last couple of years i've wanted to do 'one little word' but i haven't been able to find a word i felt. but a few weeks ago i while reading i came across the word thrive. it's exactly how i feel. i don't want to just exist, to live in the moment. i want to thrive, to expand my wings, to learn, to look forward to everything y life can be.

15. Betsey

2013-08-21 23:51:52 -0500

Always a pleasure hearing from you.

16. Johanna

2013-08-22 01:48:06 -0500

I so understand the feeling of just "making it through". It's how I've felt a big part of the last two years, and I'm pretty done with it. But it's not easy to transition back into thriving - so many things seem too much a bonus, time-wise, energy-wise. Thoughts and feelings and excuses need to shift. Here's to tossing those out and making space for us.

17. Debrajean

2013-08-22 04:51:40 -0500

Hi Ali, you convey such real feelings and emotions; your words reach out and touch me. Like many others here, I feel like we are kindred spirits. You remind all of us to take time to cherish our everyday lives, and that is priceless! So glad you had a great vacation. Thank you for all you share with us through your blog and workshops, it is so appreciated.

18. Marti Richards

2013-08-22 14:23:29 -0500

Great post, Ali. Back to school time is always like a "spring cleaning" for me. I love the fresh start. :)

19. Suzanne

2013-08-22 14:40:49 -0500

Love this post, Ali. Your voice on here as well as your inspiring projects have helped me through several tough times. Thank you for your transparency and genuine care for your readers :)

20. Kathy

2013-08-23 01:55:04 -0500

It's funny because I have been separated for over 5 years and officially divorced for over 2 years and I admire all those people entering into new relationships. I am flat out raising two kids (9 and 7) on my own 100% of the time so I can't imagine having time or the energy to put into a new relationship although I am secretly (in a nice way) jealous of the new love. Once the kids are in bed by 7 pm that's it for me I'm exhausted too.

I too am so looking forward to WITL and in fact only wrote a post about it a couple of days ago.

Regards, Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

21. Suz

2013-08-23 09:20:43 -0500

Welcome back Ali! Looking forward to seeing your travels to Europe documented and to read about Simon and Anna's transitions back to school. Thank you for sharing. Take care you.

22. Lindsay

2013-08-23 14:22:57 -0500

making it through....wow you have echoed my thoughts and feelings these past few weeks exactly. for some odd reason time, and the passage of it seems to be this tug of war game i am playing. trying to hold on, trying to get through...trying to enjoy, stop and savour. and of course trying to find the balance of it all and stay "present". i really loved reading your post. definitely helped me not feel so "alone". love you ali!

23. Julie

2013-08-23 17:30:53 -0500

I understand the Hello story would be draining for you. But please know it is not wasted time and energy. I am LOVING the class and have made it a daily discussion with my husband.

I've asked him to give me a 6 word story of his day. and then we laugh....because he's so darn creative and can make something up immediately.

Your posts and your classes are so 'thoughtful' - is the only word I can think of.

Thanks for sharing your life with us. You Rock.
    Julie

24. Kim

2013-08-24 22:24:32 -0500

Ali, thanks for sharing such personal feelings. Its hard I know as my oldest daughter (30) single mom of 2 lives with me. She has been divorced for 4 years and unfortunately still dealing with all that goes with that change in ones life. I try so hard to get her through the tough days, as I worry so much that she will managed to stay afloat. She was a stay at home mom, so going out into the work world with no skills has only added to her struggles. I'm working on getting her into some counseling,anything that may help her work though it all. She says she just looks at the entire World differently and hard to see joy in anything but her 2 kids. Thanks for sharing your journey with us all. Your an amazing women and know many will find strength in your words so thank you.

25. Nicolle

2013-08-27 10:44:48 -0500

Ali, I think you're awesome.