December Daily™ 2013 | Day Five

AE_DD2013_Day5_CloseUp

Welcome to December Daily™ 2013 | Day Five.

Yesterday the kids got an email from my Mom that I just loved and knew immediately I would use it for my story/journaling today. I knew it all day until I was finally able to work on it at 9pm last night. It's not my favorite time to make stuff but once I got into it I was so happy to have the story recorded for the day (and since Simon doesn't have school today he got to stay up and keep my company).

Bring on the sparkly gold!

PS | I launched registration for my 2014 One Little Word workshop last night. Get all the details and register here.

Here's a look at Day Five:

AE_DD2013_Day5_LeftInAlbum

AE_DD2013_Day5_JournalAlbum

Day Five includes 3, 3x4 pockets and a strip of vellum for my journaling (size is 4 x 8.5). The font is Remington Noiseless.

AE_DD2013_Day5_OutAlbum

Just a shot of it outside the album. I was photographing this late at night again and it helped to take the elements out of the page protectors to reduce the glare.

I liked balancing the long journaling with the photo my Mom included in the email and two decorative 3x4 cards.

AE_DD2013_Day5_Journal

I love including other people's voices in my projects: emails, letters, stuff the kids write down, etc.

This journaling was printed on Worldwin vellum. Why vellum? Why not. This one is not as transparent as some vellum I've used in the past but it was what I had on hand and adds a nice change in texture in the album.

Along the edge I added an Avery label - partly just to counter the curl that was happening with the vellum and partly because I so love those labels.

AE_DD2013_Day5_5

Here I used the "December" stamp from the Studio Calico kit with black Memento ink (love that ink) on top of one of the printable labels. The big heart was cut from a digital file (December Daily™ 3x4 Sentiment Boxes) when I made my foundation pages - it's actually an "extra" but came in handy here. The 5 is from a set of American Crafts 25 Days Gold Foil Chipboard numbers - these don't look great on the product preview online but are awesome in person.

I used my Brother sewing machine to stitch these in place.

AE_DD2013_Day5_Love

Printshop Wood Veneer Stars + Star Rub Ons + MAMBI Gold Letters

AE_DD2013_Day5_Left

Hope you have a great day!

SUPPLIES

Click on the images to link to the products.

soul mantra_lamoreux_forAE

TODAY'S POST SPONSORED BY | LIZ LAMOREUX
The Soul Mantra jewelry collection is filled with talismans to carry with you on your journey. From lockets with whispered messages tucked inside to "word of the year" necklaces to reminders that you are enough, you are brave, and you are loved, come along and find just the right Soul Mantra you need for yourself or a loved one.

SPECIAL OFFER | Use coupon code ALI15 for 15% off your order through Sunday, December 8. Just click "Apply shop coupon code" in your shopping cart just above your total and type in ALI15.

SHARE A LINK TO YOUR DAY FIVE

You’re invited to include a link to your DAY FIVE page here. Please link directly to your post vs. your general blog link.

1. Michelle

2013-12-06 06:06:40 -0500

Love the stitching Ali, Yay to sparkly gold and I really like the not so transparent vellum. Yay to registration OLW 2014, going there next.

2. Petra

2013-12-06 06:07:51 -0500

Gorgeous Ali. This has inspired to also include the voice of my parents who I have been emailing daily about our upcoming visit for Christmas. We are all very excited and counting down the days. Kids and Adults alike! :)
    Thank You.

3. Kathy

2013-12-06 06:25:36 -0500

I love kids having meaningful relationships with grand kids and I love that you document it for you and your kids memories. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

4. Jill

2013-12-06 08:54:40 -0500

I love this - epecially that the picture is not from yesterday - but is about the relationship with your kids and their Grandma. Will for sure incorporate something like this into mine as I know there will be days when I don't have great photos. Inculding stories about Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins - such a great idea!

5. {vicki}

2013-12-06 09:03:52 -0500

ALi,
    This is WONDERFUL!
    You have the Best Mom ever!

Sadly for us---our day 5 was about the passing of our dog Buford. We had had him for 11 years and ot was really hard. I revisted your post of 'Remembering Lily' to help me cope. Thank you!

6. Mel

2013-12-06 09:12:15 -0500

Really lovely day 5.

I went and visited the post for OWL in your shop and noticed that 31 Things is being run again. Just a question about that. Will they be new prompts? I did the class before and adored it! Would definatley be hopping on board again if they are new word prompts. Sorry to aks here just wasn't sure where else to put my question. ; ) x

(And a big hug to Vicky loosing a pet is just so tough x)

7. Ruth G

2013-12-06 09:43:41 -0500

I love the idea of including your mom's e-mail in your album. Our loved ones who don't live where we do are as important as the ones who do when it comes to this wonderful time of year!
    Thanks so much for the info about the Gold Foil Thickers. It can be so hard to shop for supplies when all you have is a photo that may or may not represent what the product truly looks like. This is why I hope Archiver's can survive. Their stores have all the really pretty stuff and they know how to display it so you get the full effect.
    Anyway, thanks for all you share! You can be my personal shopper any day!

8. Nicole

2013-12-06 10:03:29 -0500

Love this Ali! Beautiful entry for your December Daily and I'm really loving the gold touches.

9. michelle

2013-12-06 10:30:58 -0500

Love your work! Signed up for OLW 2014 last night. So excited.

Also, I think your "Link up" is missing. ;) I just posted Day 03. Excited to share it. http://www.table-for-five.com/december-daily-day-03/

10. cinback

2013-12-06 10:37:06 -0500

I was happy to see that you are photographing at night too! I am at work all day and I get home in darkness. That makes it tricky to photograph my pages for my blog. But you have done it successfully here!

Just wondering what kind of lighting you are using to take these pictures? Is it a lamp brought close or just the lighting in your ceiling? What type of lightbulb are you using (incandescent?). I have tried various things in my studio, but have not had great success.

Hope you don't mind me asking...

11. December Stories – 3 & 4 | Field Journaling

2013-12-06 11:18:59 -0500

[…] This post is linked to Ali Edwards’ Day Five. […]

12. Kathy P

2013-12-06 11:24:39 -0500

Sweet story, and love that you included the email with your photos! Must be fun to see what you are going to look like 30 years down the road.....you and your mom are like twins, a generation apart!

13. Mary J

2013-12-06 11:36:23 -0500

When I first glanced at this post, I thought it was a picture of you and your kids!! It wasn't until I looked closer and read the story that I realized it was your mom. You look so much alike!! Great page!!

14. Amanda

2013-12-06 12:29:43 -0500

What a great idea to incorporate letters/emails from others! I received an email from my SIL about my son's adventures with her on the first - I am totally going to include that!

15. stacyk

2013-12-06 14:07:37 -0500

I love the idea of including other people's voices in the album. I included a write up on my childhood Christmas traditions, and I plan to include my husband's, then something about our current traditions that we have created for our own kids.

16. Mathwie

2013-12-06 15:08:37 -0500

I like the gold in this page and the balanced journaling block.

17. CJ

2013-12-06 17:09:24 -0500

A lovely page Ali. I like how I don't ever know what the story is going to be for the day. I didn't have today's until I picked the children up from school, and they spent ten minutes playing in the playground with a friend, leaping in the air off of the playground equipment and throwing leaves into the air. The joy of Friday afternoon!

* edited 08/08/14 05:54PM
  18. Weekend Creative | Celebrate December With Free Printable Gift Tags | Ali Edwards

2013-12-06 18:00:46 -0500

[…] supply products – you know how much I love those 2-inch index tabs for Project Life® and December Daily™) and they sent me some printable tags and stickers to play around with this holiday […]

19. Megan Anderson

2013-12-06 22:25:17 -0500

I love everything about these pages!

20. Leanne in CA

2013-12-06 23:21:55 -0500

Love the gold incorporated into these pages! Your album is looking lovely for DD!!

21. Molly

2013-12-09 15:03:16 -0500

What size needle do you use when sewing the thicker letters onto paper (or sewing paper at all!)? I've always wanted to try to use my sewing machine for papercrafting, but I'm afraid to hurt/ruin/destroy my machine! I also love your use of index tabs! I love the use of non-papercrafting specific items :-)

22. Melissa

2013-12-22 16:16:58 -0500

Hi Ali, I'm just catching up on all of your dd posts and love the, all. I'm quite new to memory keeping, and this post reminded me of a question. I have not had much success sewing chipboard letters onto paper. They move around too much and I usually end up breaking them - perhaps my machine tension is too high or something else. Do you have any advice on doing this? Thanks in advance,
    Melissa