Project Life® 2014 | Week Eight (Studio Calico Project Life® Kit)

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_CloseUp

Welcome to Project Life® 2014 | Week Eight (February 17th through February 23rd).

Each month during 2014 one of my Project Life® weeks will be using the Studio Calico Project Life® kit.

You can check out all the new kits for March (called Office Hours) over at Studio Calico here: Scrapbook Kit | Project Life® Kit | Card Kit

Here's a look at Week 8:

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_SpreadFrontInsert

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_SpreadInsertBack

This week I really had fun playing with circles + enlarged photos. I've done enlarged photos before - sometimes they are 12x12 and sometimes 6x12. I think they are a nice visual break from all the smaller pockets. You can see other examples here (Paris), here (Ireland), and here (my skirt & boots).

I've got a tutorial for cutting those enlarged photos to fit into the pockets here.

I included two enlarged 6x12 photos from our weekend at the beach as an insert - these two are stored in a 6x12 page protector. The other photos from the beach will go into a regular layout.

These enlarged photos are printed here at home using an Epson R2000 printer and 13x19 photo paper.

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_Spread2

Above is a look at the spread without the 6x12 insert.

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_Right

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_TitleCard

I really like those cork circles.

For the title card I used a small circle punch to knock out the end of that label creating a nice little home for the cork circle.

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_Love

For this love label I ended up cutting the chipboard letter stickers to fit onto the label (they were too tall). I was able to trim off the tops of the "L" and the "V" and for the "E" I cut it just below the top and and also trimmed part of the stem to make it fit. Loved using the heart as the "O."

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_Currently

The kit this month includes some cute and perfectly sized number stamps. I used Studio Calico's new Color Theory ink in Clean Slate to stamp them onto the currently card. You also might notice that I trimmed the top off of the cork circle - I like the look of things going off the edge.

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_CloseUpFullLife

Another way to use the cool designs from the journal cards is to cut them out and add them to a photo. These little scissors from Fiskars work great for that.

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_IndexTab

You can also insert cut pieces of the journal cards into an index tab ("at the moment" was cut from a journal card). I almost always add an index tab when I include a page protector insert.

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_Left

The enlarged photo of me came from a little photo-shoot Katie and I did where I was trying on a bunch of eye-glasses from David Kind (full post on that here).

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_Plastic3x4

In my opinion there are three cool things happening here:

(1) PUNCH CIRCLES | If you happen to have a lot of Project Life® cards (whether from Becky's line or from Studio Calico or other kits) a fun way to work with them is to punch the pattern ones into circles. I used both a 1-inch and a 2-inch circle punch here.

(2) BREAK FREE OF THE GRID | Sometimes the pockets can feel a little restrictive (stay in your box) and it's nice to be able to play around with elements that cross over from one pocket to another whether that's a photo or pattern or embellishment.

Speaking of that I loved how Catherine Davis used the little butterfly stamp from this month's kit across more than one pocket: Golden.

(3) CLEAR 3x4 CARD | This month's kit includes 2, 3x4 clear acrylic cards. I used one as the back for my gathering of circles. If you're wondering what I'll do on the back, most likely I will punch some more circles (or maybe photos) and add them to the same spots on the back of the 3x4 card to maintain the see-through quality. These cards are pretty sturdy but you can also achieve this same look by cutting up some of your extra page protectors and adding elements and then sticking it inside the pockets. You can see how I did that in my December Daily® album last year here.

AE_PL2014_WK8_SC_Coffee

Writing on photos = yes. Always. I used a Fine Slick Writer to journal around the coffee cup.

SUPPLIES | 2014 | WEEK EIGHT

Click on the images to link to the products.

Project Life® is a product and a system and a lifestyle created by Becky Higgins. It can be anything you want it to be. The core pieces used in my album are available here. If you live outside the US check Becky’s site for more information on sources. View all my posts about Project Life® here.

1. Alanna N

2014-02-28 03:25:09 -0500

Love the tall 6x12 photo and the circles throughout this spread. I love the look of "see through" pockets and am sure I'll be adding a few into my spreads this year. Thanks for the inspiration Ali.

2. Chrisy@GoodNorthCoastLife

2014-02-28 07:18:15 -0500

This layout totally rocks. Awesome job Ali, inspirational as always.

3. michelle t

2014-02-28 07:57:58 -0500

Very neat. Love the enlarged photo of the kids by itself like that in the page protector. Also the one of you trying on the glasses then cut to be in the multiple pockets is awesome, thank you for including a link to a tutorial. I've been making my own cork embellishments for my layouts for a while, lately it's been arrows. Thank you. Michelle t

4. Debbi G.

2014-02-28 08:32:56 -0500

I just purchased my first Studio Calico kit and then when I saw you had this post today...it was perfect! So totally love how you use the products in their own way. Thanks for reminding me to think outside the box :)

5. Laura Halmrast

2014-02-28 09:46:40 -0500

Is there any place that sells just the cork circles? I love them but don't really need to whole kit.

6. Teri H.

2014-02-28 10:58:44 -0500

Love the acrylic 3x4 cards. I bought a box of transparencies at Staples and can cut those down...good idea!

7. Patti L

2014-02-28 11:08:52 -0500

Awesome tips! Just in time for my crop tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

8. leanne l

2014-02-28 13:05:18 -0500

Love the circles. So love the full page photos. The circle repetition is fun, draws it all together. Hope your mom is feeling well, so very blessed.

9. Christy

2014-02-28 17:27:52 -0500

Ali, I am very thankful that your Mom is okay. She radiates peace and happiness in your pictures.

10. Young

2014-02-28 22:34:46 -0500

Like! Fun to see your different weekly themes.

11. Trina

2014-03-01 01:25:02 -0500

Hi Ali--my heart stopped as I read the card regarding your mom's car accident. So happy and thankful that she is ok. Its obvious you two have such a special relationship! Please pass on well wishes to her!

12. Za

2014-03-01 02:34:47 -0500

I always love how you work with enlarged pictures. Great inspiration! Thanks you!

13. Carolyn HP

2014-03-01 08:42:15 -0500

I really love the 6x12 side photo from your glasses photo shoot, I love how you mixed the bubble 3x4 card in that had a similar colour scheme. I noticed another reader commented about the journalling card that mentionned your Mom and the roll over, so glad she's okay and it wasn't more serious. So happy our Moms are still in our lives :) Love the circles, and the happy feel of the every day life going on! Awesome!

14. northcarmen

2014-03-01 12:01:24 -0500

Love seeing a 2014 spread from you, especially with such distinctive and creative touches. I'm so very glad that your Mom made it through her accident with no injuries, and a sunny vacation ahead sounds wonderful. :) I hope your travels bring you to Africa one day, ideally while I'm there. ;)

15. Amy Seech

2014-03-02 09:02:51 -0500

I really like how you make it your own. Punching the circles from printed PL cards is a great idea. I don't use a lot of printed papers in my layouts. The punched circles would be just enough! I'm also going to try and spread items beyond the different pockets. I really like that look.

16. AE Project Life® | Basic Supplies | Ali Edwards

2014-03-04 06:01:17 -0500

[…] pair these tabs with this stamp set: Just Awesome. Check out an example of how I use these here: 2014 | Week 8 or 2013 | Week […]

17. Cheryl T.

2014-03-04 18:13:31 -0500

Thanks so much for showing us the details of your spread. Love it! It looks great!

18. Mallory

2014-03-06 22:33:40 -0500

OMG! I love this so so much!

19. กระเป๋า lyn ราคาถูก

2014-03-09 21:17:46 -0400

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity concerning unexpected
    emotions.

20. wall mounted range hood

2014-03-17 22:42:33 -0400

Hi there, I want to subscribe for this webpage to take most
    recent updates, therefore where can i do it please help out.

21. Mel J

2014-03-20 05:06:28 -0400

Hey great spread and loads of inspiration. I found the busy cards a bit overwhelming and so am totally going to have a go at punching some circles out of them.

22. micki

2014-03-26 18:53:51 -0400

Hi Ali, Brand new to Project Life, scrapbooking, Studio Calico. I love your website!! I just received the Office Hours kit and I love what you did with the "golden" circle card. This will be a very elementary question, but how do you keep the word "golden" white and color the rest in gold? I see the letters are raised, but I can't seem to figure out how you would color it in so perfectly. Please help! Can't seem to find anything about it on the web.

23. project life: february | fastlife, slowlife

2014-04-03 09:03:02 -0400

[…] of Greg and I on our trip to end the month (which technically was in March but who cares). I saw Ali’s post with a fun 6×12″ portrait and loved it. Yes, Greg is such a good sport and almost always willing to do what I ask for sake of […]

24. youtube.com

2014-05-13 21:39:42 -0400

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article! It's the little changes that make the most important changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!

25. Pure carnauba wax

2014-06-08 06:03:33 -0400

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a
    bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. A fantastic read.

I will certainly be back.