Around Here

AE_trees

ANNA

• Started soccer. Her team's name is Soccer Chocolate Kittens. Their first game was last Saturday (3 on 3 for 5 minutes or so at a time) and it was just so fun even if they lost 20-0. I love that she gets to run, run and run and that her coach is all about building each other up and teamwork and never giving up. I also loved seeing her out their on the field and her determination when she was really into it. Who knows if this is something she will continue to love but it's great that she's trying and having fun with her friends.

• Wants me to read Babar to her every night. I so remember reading this as a kid but I so don't remember that he meets Celeste and decides to marry her on the drive between the city and the jungle.

• Loves school and even loves the after-care program she attends a couple days a week.

• Smart, smart, smart. Learning all the time. Drawing a ton.

• One of my personal intentions this year was to really connect with her and I feel that happening and I'm so thankful. She's off school today for Good Friday so I've got a couple things planned for just the two of us (most likely a trip to the library and lunch).

SIMON

• Started investing some time in golf over the last couple of months. He's currently practicing hitting balls and putting with a local coach who's also involved in Special Olympics. Looking into whether that would be a good fit for him or just taking him out on his own. He continues to like it and be happy to head out there.

• The Lego Movie. And The Lego Movie book. Not much of a surprise - he can't wait to see the movie again.

• He's growing so fast and is in that phase where he needs so much sleep.

• Transitioning to the teen years. Not even sure how or what to write about this one but it's real. He's emotional and sensitive and tender-hearted and wants to do the right thing and is struggling with frustrations.

• Has been let behind the curtain on a few very special holiday traditions and is completely embracing his new role as "holiday helper."

ALI

• Digging in the dirt. Got my raised beds set up and started planting a few things: walla walla sweet onions, broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, cilantro, parsley. Will do more as it continues to warm up.

• Finally getting the old office furniture out of my bedroom. It's been in there since we remodeled the office over a year ago. Still have a few larger pieces to move out.

• Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad. Aaron and I are in the middle of Season 4. Such an awesome, consuming show.

• Finding my voice again. There have been many times over the last couple of years where I felt like I had no idea what to say anymore. How do I tell these stories? How do I write when I have no idea who I am anymore? Slowly, slowly feel that fog lifting.

• Doing a lot of summer logistic planning for the kids with Chris. Attempting to find that balance between summer relaxation, camps, travel, work, camping, etc.

• Traveled to Houston earlier this week to celebrate my friend Carrie's birthday and have lunch with Brene. So thankful for these two wonderful friends whose support and love mean so much to me.

• So ready for our local outdoor pool to open - looking forward to swimming laps there this summer and spending time with friends.

Hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend with family and friends.

1. Chrisy@GoodNorthCoastLife

2014-04-18 08:55:58 -0400

There's so much goodness in this post Ali. :)
    Thanks for the reminder on how positive it is to reflect on where things are at. A check in on how things are travelling with everyone is a great idea - for memory keeping or just journaling.
    Love it!

2. MichelleElaine

2014-04-18 10:29:00 -0400

Breaking Bad is an amazing show!! I agree, totally consuming! There is a big chunk of Season 5 that was filmed 1 block from house. We got to watch them film and they even put us in a hotel 1 night. It is so great seeing Albuquerque on the show. We got pretty lucky having such a great show filmed in our city.

3. Audrey V

2014-04-18 10:55:06 -0400

We Loved, loved, loved Breaking Bad. It was so bad, but so good! In the end, Saul Goodman and Jesse Pinkman were my favorites.

4. {vicki}

2014-04-18 11:22:02 -0400

I would NEVER have guessed that you are ever at a loss for words!

On a separate note: I'm not getting your emails of your blog anymore???? Don't know what's happened there. Do I just need to sign up again?

5. Susan Ringler

2014-04-18 11:29:38 -0400

In all the years I have followed you (many many), I can barely recall a time I didn't want to get up and write, scrap, tell a story. Ali, you are such an amazing writer.

6. Merry Mom

2014-04-18 11:32:21 -0400

Your mention of the office furniture reminded me of your posts about your office renovation. Could you provide an update?

7. Amanda

2014-04-18 12:03:33 -0400

Isn't it fun to watch them play soccer?
    Gardening is the best therapy and oh so rewarding. Good for you!

So happy your blog is back on the almost daily reading list. It's the best!

8. Gidget

2014-04-18 12:34:10 -0400

Thank you for posting this beautiful picture. It makes me long for my yard and my garden back east. Living in Arizona, we just don't have this. Thank you. It made me smile!

9. Liz Ness

2014-04-18 12:48:12 -0400

Oh boy, do I get that "finding my voice again" concept. When our lives veer in a direction we didn't expect, everything changes--including our story and our voice. Only, it takes awhile to even realize it because we're smack-dab-in-the-middle of fire-fighting. HUGS to you and your voice as it gains strength within its new cadence.

Also, enjoy this awesome gardening weather we're having! =)

10. Melissa

2014-04-18 13:55:17 -0400

"Soccer Chocolate Kittens" is GREAT!! :D

IIRC your friend, Carrie, was on the SB "scene" years ago. I hope she's doing well. Please let us know if we can find her work anywhere.

I totally get not knowing what to share, or being unsure. I think you're doing a great job and I hope that you don't feel a lot of pressure. Follow your heart. :)

Happy weekend to you!

Blessings.

11. Becky M

2014-04-18 14:05:28 -0400

Thanks Ali! You always inspire. Happy Easter to you and your family!

12. Deiga

2014-04-18 14:26:03 -0400

After you first mentioned a couple of months ago that you were Breaking Bad, I checked it out and was immediately hooked. Then my husband decided to watch it, so I've watched the first two seasons again with him ... still totally hooked.

13. Sheryl

2014-04-18 15:12:29 -0400

Happy Easter to you and your family too. So enjoy your blog - thanks for sharing your life!!

14. Carol

2014-04-18 16:09:05 -0400

This is kind of a "duh" face palm sort of thing, but I'm inspired by this journal format in your post. I've usually been a "paragraph girl" English major and all. It's pretty time consuming and frankly, can end up being emotionally draining when I go down into the depths of things. Then it's a big detour from what I need to get done that day. But I'm going to go NOW and write some lines like this about my kids and myself this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

15. Sharon

2014-04-18 18:09:29 -0400

Thanks so much for the awesome photo of your yard. We are till in the depths of winter here and I am having a hard time staying inspired. Its nice to see that Spring is out there and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

16. Sue

2014-04-18 18:32:44 -0400

Happy Easter to you and your family Ali, love your sharing, fog can be good, you appreciate the sunshine more!! (At least that's what I tell myself! LOL) Love the name of Anna's soccer team...run girl run!

17. Carolyn,,.b..

2014-04-18 19:37:37 -0400

Hi Ali,
    Great post so glad the fog is lifting for you.That made me smile.
    I too have a boy with Autism navigating the teen/social media world which is very challenging...x

18. Julie

2014-04-19 11:43:26 -0400

Best line in this post: "even if they lost 20-0." Little kid soccer can be the best and the worst. Glad she is enjoying it!

19. Erin Tigner

2014-04-19 13:57:53 -0400

Hahahahahaha. I sat down to read Babar to my class a couple weeks ago and was stumbling over my words thinking "wait, what?, when did someone re-write this book?" How did I miss this so many times reading this book? So funny. Made me giggle to picture you going through the same little shock. Hilarious. Miss you. We need to plan a day date sometime soon.

20. ria dixon

2014-04-19 17:35:49 -0400

I would LOVE to be on a team called 'soccer chocolate kittens'... So cool!

21. Kristine

2014-04-19 20:40:20 -0400

So enjoyed the headings - I write to a friend like this - Topics of the happenings with us - Babar brought back wonderful childhood memories, best name for a soccer team, etc ... I will continue to check in - Love your blog! (Please come visit @ www.kristinelivinginthemoment.blogspot.com) ...
    ~Kristine

22. J3SS1C4

2014-04-20 21:03:52 -0400

Love this idea for a post! Such an awesome round up of life for each of you right now! That's so awesome about Anna loving soccer and Simon becoming your holiday helper... I remember when that was me helping Mum each year and it's just as fun as the tradition itself! I even hid Easter eggs for an Easter hunt for my almost 21 year old sister and Mum yesterday :)

23. Lindsey

2014-04-21 10:04:38 -0400

Soccer Chocolate Kittens may be the greatest name ever! Everyone is digging in the dirt these days. I need to make some time for that!

24. Desiree

2014-04-21 11:01:09 -0400

I love that image of letting Simon "behind the curtain" when it comes to holiday traditions. And the soccer team name is fantastic! I can also relate to you when you say you feel like a fog is lifting and you are finding your voice. I think I'm still in the fog (as my divorce is not yet final) and I still can't imagine what my future holds. I am struggling with the stories I want to tell, because it feels like I just want to keep writing "to" my kids about how difficult this change has been but I've realized how much I absolutely love my kids and can't imagine my life without them. I guess that's not a bad story to tell after all.

25. Gayle

2014-04-21 18:55:12 -0400

We lived the Lego movie too! And we loved "Everything Is Awesome" so much that I made a printable of it. You can check it out at liverinserepeat.com!