For The Love Of Books | Reading Updates

AE_read

Are you guys one-book-at-a-time readers? Right now I've got multiple books going and sometimes I think that's a good thing (nice to have choices based on mood, time available, etc) and other times it feels like I just lack commitment.

Either way, one of the things I wanted to make happen for myself this year was to read more books and I'm definitely making it happen.

I'm a big non-fiction reader - it's just what I'm most interested in reading right now. I like reading about the way people think and work and I like reading memoirs and stories of real people. That said, it's hard to beat a great fiction story.

Here's a look at what I've got going on right now:

RECENTLY COMPLETED

• The Paris Wife by Paula McLain | The first fiction book I've read in quite a long time and man was I consumed. I studied American Literature in college (my degree is in American Studies - literature, history, and political science) so I'm definitely familiar with Ernest. I read this one when Aaron and I went to Hawaii and I had to tell him more than once that he was going to need to let me know if he wanted some conversation because otherwise I was going to be immersed in this story. I enjoyed it and would recommend it.
  • Notes From A Blue Bike: The Art Of Living Intentionally In A Chaotic World by Tsh Oxenreider | I've been a longtime fan and daily reader of Tsh's blog (formerly SimpleMom.net and now TheArtOfSimple.net). There's always a dose of something good on there. As I wrote above, I like reading true stories and learning about the how's and why's of their lives (choices, values, lifestyles, how they overcomes challenges, etc). I'm interested in simplicity and living with less and family time and all these topics were covered in Tsh's book.

JUST STARTING

AE_BooksInProgress

ON MY NIGHTSTAND

These are ones I've started or pick up here and there and haven't made it all the way through just yet or are the one's I want to start soon.

I'm also back on Goodreads if you want to follow along and see what I'm reading, what I've read, and what's on my to-read list.

1. christi in ma

2014-04-14 13:14:28 -0700

I love GoodReads for tracking what I've read.
    I mostly read fiction. Non-fiction just isn't my thing. The best two books I've read this year are Resolve by JJ Hensley and Still Alice by Lisa Genova.

2. {vicki}

2014-04-14 13:18:30 -0700

I always have several books going at once. I keep one by my nightstand and read every night before bed to wind down. I have one in the car for times when I'm having to wait for someone/something. Like picking up my son at school or at a doctors office. And if you won't tell...I keep one at work.

Just finished Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (enjoyed it)

Just starting...Tell me the truth, doctor by Richard Besser
    and My cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier ( I LOVE HER BOOKS)

3. Aimee O.

2014-04-14 14:55:42 -0700

I'm just like that! I love non-fiction reading and I always have several books going at one time on various topics. I used to feel like I never finished any of them, but now I combine reading them on my kindle and listening to them on audible during my commute to and from work each day. I find that I really enjoy listening to non-fiction books (I use the audible app). Last year I made it through 30 books or so this way and I finally feel like I'm getting something good and useful out of this time! Fiction I reserve mostly for reading on my kindle--and boy can I become consumed with a good book!! Nothing too serious though--I love a good romantic comedy. Lately, I've been reading through the series by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, an author my mom turned me on to. Can't put them down until I'm finished.

4. Ruth DeClercq

2014-04-14 15:27:18 -0700

I'm currently reading 'Zealot, the life and times of Jesus of Nazerath' by Reza Aslan. I used to read several books at same time but now find that I have to rest my eyes more often so I read one at my leasure. Favorite author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez..

5. Ruth DeClercq

2014-04-14 15:45:45 -0700

Correction to spelling of above title: 'Zealot, the life and times of Jesus of Nazareth' by Reza Aslant.

6. Jess

2014-04-14 16:34:26 -0700

Recently I've read 'The Circle' by Dave Eggers which was an interesting take on extremeist social media. I'm on the last book of the Divergent Series which are pretty good. MUST read the book before the movie. I read a fantastic memoir called 'Summerlandish' by Summer Land. A great book with funny, rude and outlandish stories from a 20 something. FANTASTIC read. Also a fan of John Green.... his books are fantastic.
    Looking forward to picking up some of the books listed here for something different. trying to be more concious of reading this year. You can never read too many books. :)

7. Karen C

2014-04-14 18:10:13 -0700

I usually read more than one book at a time. I just finished "Glitter and Glue". It's a memoir, a quick read and I really enjoyed it. It had some great insights into motherhood. I'm also reading a YA sci-fi book, a math book, a thriller and I'm going through the Harry Potter books again. I like variety! Reading is great!

8. Stacy

2014-04-14 23:36:15 -0700

Great post! I'm an avid reader, so I really enjoyed this...Plus I got some great new books to add to my list!

9. {vicki}

2014-04-15 05:19:48 -0700

Forgot to mention....

I really love paperbackswap.com

It's great if you don't want to buy a lot of books. I don't usually buy books. I use this website and frequent the library often.
    Check it out!

Also I wanted to recommend a book for Simon
    The invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (ITS WONDERFUL--the illustrations are AMAZING!)
    He also has another book called Wonderstruck--its good too.

10. Courtney

2014-04-15 05:34:14 -0700

I'm currently knee-deep in The Paris Wife. It's not something I usually read, but a friend passed it along. I'm loving it. It's such an interesting take on that time period. It is definitely one you can't put down.

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and it is a MUST read!

11. Angelia

2014-04-15 07:26:30 -0700

I'm one book at a time reader! I have not read much in past 3 years since my mother's passing. It's been very hard concentrating on the stories and characters. It was something she and I always loved doing and sharing the context of each book we finished. As a young child I started out having trouble reading, she put me in a special program at school and purchased some books that she thought would interest me (such a smart woman) and have read ever since. I remember days where she and I would sit on the couch reading in total silence but I always loved that! Anyway, I do keep buying new releases from my favorite authors and I know one day I will get back in the routine and enjoy the solitude reading provides. I find it so awesome that you block time for your son to read, it's so important in life! As a mother of 3 girls myself, I have always instilled that into my childrens minds. If you can read, you can do anything!

12. Beth Hardage

2014-04-15 10:07:30 -0700

I love fiction mostly and usually have several books waiting to be read - both electronic and the kind you can read in the bathtub !:) What I have found most interesting lately is what leads me to read certain books. I have read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt which led to books on art history. The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan - I am a long time fan of her books. Listening to Sirius XM Radio Classics led me to read Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man, I Sing the Body Electric, and am now reading The Martian Chronicles.

My non-fiction reading consists mostly of true crime books by Ann Rule and others. I am fascinated by what makes people do the things they do. Another favorite non-fiction writer is Oliver Sacks. The human brain is wonderfully complex!

13. SueTR (ys 11-12-13)

2014-04-15 10:21:46 -0700

I may have two books going at the same time but they will have to be completely different genres or it's too confusing! I have Notes from a Blue Bike on my to-read stack right now (which has about 10 books on it) I read The Paris Wife and it was great! My dad's favorite author is Hemingway (he was an english major) so I grew up hearing all about Ernest so it was a fun read. I think you will like "Habit" I read it last year. I have "overwhelmed" and "die empty" on my to-read list. Just spent this morning weeding through 2months worth of NYT book reviews and have a nice little stack of notes of books to read!

14. Lindsey

2014-04-15 10:30:32 -0700

I'm a few chapters into The Paris Wife and I can tell that it's going to be really fabulous! I underline passages that stand out to me and needless to say, the pen has been out a lot for this one! Just ordered Bittersweet and can't wait for it to arrive!

15. Lisa P

2014-04-15 12:14:35 -0700

I am a one at a time reader usually but right now I have three going! One is a fiction, another is a book a friend and I are reading together and the last is dealing with some specific situations in my family right now. By the way, I have read Bittersweet and you won't be disappointed. My friend sent it to me during a tough time. Good read.

16. Kathleen

2014-04-15 13:05:46 -0700

Had to chime in on the post about reading...I tend to rotate between fiction and memoir or self-help. I am currently reading Brene' Brown's Daring Greatly...it took forever to get it from my library as there were so many "holds" on it. I just got an email from Amazon recommending books and one of them just seemed to call your name...it is called THRIVE by Arianna Huffington. It sounds so good and I know it is your OLW for 2014.

17. Andrea

2014-04-15 16:38:06 -0700

I read "The Paris Wife" and I also was CONSUMED in it. I read constantly and I just couldn't put that one down for anything. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

18. telisj

2014-04-16 19:45:58 -0700

The Night Circus is fantastic! I highly recommend this fiction book. So creative and engaging. Had to read it in two days! :) Love your reading posts!

19. Alison D.

2014-04-19 12:04:22 -0700

Ali, I used your list to make a display at the bookstore I work at on the weekends. :) Thanks for the inspiration. This morning I read "Carry On, Warrior" by Glennon Doyle Melton it was fantastic!

20. Gayle

2014-04-21 15:51:18 -0700

So glad to know there's another American Studies major out there!

21. Cherylle

2014-04-22 09:02:47 -0700

Since I was a kid (WAY back in the 60s), I have kept what I called a writer's notebook. I did this on my own without any prompting or guidance. When I was teaching third grade, I was introduced to Ralph Fletcher and his books; among them was A Writer's Notebook in which he detailed how writers write. I was amazed that I had been doing something right--I kept a gripe list, copies of my poetry, and lists ad infinitum to aid me in my writing (I was an English major). Just recently, I was introduced (through the written word) to a young writer who had done in her young life what I had already done in mine many years before. I believe she did it naturally. I ordered her book, a collection of poems, stories and essays, which was published posthumously after she graduated Yale. That book, The Opposite of Loneliness, blew me away! I could not do a review justice, so I suggest you and anyone else check it out. Even the reviews touched my heart.

22. Tinka

2014-04-23 02:40:25 -0700

I'm mainly a one book at a time reader because once I start I don't usually stop reading until I reach the end. But the last few months I've found myself more easily distracted and actually had three books going at the same time! In the past couple weeks, I've read the Divergent series, Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green,Evidence of Life and Safekeeping by Barbara Taylor Sissel, two travel guides for Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands (!), along with several historical romances and a couple contemporary romances. I am about 2/3s through 12 Years a Slave. The waiting-to-be-read list includes The Letter by Marie Tillman, Orange is the New Black, The Night Circus, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, Feng Shui Simply by Cheryl Grace, Breakfast with the Birds by Jack G Hyman, and several others. :-)

23. Kay Gregory-Clark

2014-04-24 08:05:59 -0700

Ali, have you read The Accidental Creative also by Todd Henry? Just curious. I have Die Empty on my wish list.

24. Where I Find Books | a glass of milk

2014-05-02 04:10:50 -0700

[…] book-centric, many of the blogs I read daily pop in with book reports from time to time:  Elise, Ali, Joy, Joanna, Carly, and one of my favorite go-tos for books for grown-ups and kids alike, Jenny […]

25. Noreen

2014-05-02 06:26:01 -0700

I have read several of the books on your list & have several of those on my own "to read" list!! Shauna Niequist is one of my favorite writers & I think you will enjoy any of her books. I LOVED the Paris Wife also....and then I felt so in the know when I saw Midnight in Paris hahaha!! I read that at the beach several years ago - it's wonderful.