Stuff Of Our Days | Ali & Katie

AE_KV_Office

Katie and I spend a lot of time together working and playing.

We eat lunch together every week day here at my house and are both trying hard to eat healthy most of the time. Most days we go downstairs, make lunch together and sit at the dining table.

Some days we chat but usually I read the paper and she checks out Pinterest while we eat. We're good with quiet and we're good with really big laughter.

We often make "plate" lunches - a combination of stuff like slices of cheese, meat, crackers, fruit, etc. Some days we have soup. Another favorite is steamed broccoli with chicken and either a peanut (goma shabu) or soy (shabu soy) dipping sauce that I often have for making shabu shabu (a favorite Japanese dish).

When the weather warms up we've got plans to eat more lunches outside.

Here's some of the fun things we are loving lately:

AE_treats

Pretzel Crisps & Sabra Classic Hummus | We get both of these at Costco - a big bag of the pretzel crisps & the individual cups of hummus (nice for portion control/not nice for the environment). Katie started on this snack after picking up a little combo pack of Hummus & Pretzels at a local grocery store. It's addicting.

e1ff67ebba3e901f553e5b6430f4c03b-500x750

Frosty Light from Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth | So I bought a Vitamix. Aaron and I were at Costco a couple weekends ago and it jumped in my cart. I pinned this concoction and we've had it multiple times recently and find it delicious - we even add the chia seeds and I'm a total convert.

Spotify | While working in the office we listen to music. This is a change from when I was working on my own - it was all talk radio all the time. Katie's definitely brought music back into my life (Aaron's helped with that too). I made the leap and am now subscribing to Spotify and I love that I can listen to the playlists in the car. Here's a couple of playlists we are listening to Twin Forks (just their album), Girls Night, Hits Right Now (makes us feel super current - ha) and one Katie made called Feel Good. Find me and the things I've been listening to by searching Ali McDougall Edwards.

Jimmy Johns | Yep. Sandwiches. For some reason Katie and I love this place. I always get the #6 (veggie) + salt & vinegar chipas and Katie almost always gets the #1 (Pepe) + BBQ chips. Sometimes we eat there and sometimes we bring it back and eat at my dining room table.

Project Life Wednesdays | I'm working on a post to share how our block scheduling has been going but I can't post about the things we're into and like doing together without mentioning Project Life. We've designated Wednesdays as Project Life days and after taking care of admin stuff in the morning we dive in and have the best time working on our individual albums together. We usually turn the music up loud and get down to business. This includes finishing up spreads, photographing them and then working on the posts for the following week. We totally look forward to Wednesdays.

Viral You Tube Videos | We like to laugh. We like to be inspired. Some of our current favorites include: Kid President's Letter To A Person On Their First Day Here, pretty much anything from Jimmy Fallon but especially the lip sync battles (Paul Rudd and this one with Joseph Gordon Levitt & Stephen Merchant) and when he sang Let It Go with Idina Menzel & The Roots (that one gets played over and over).

What's something you are really into and loving right now?

1. Cindy Wick

2014-04-02 13:42:34 -0400

I'm into art right now. I'm a fairly decent artist but due to health problems and life, I've done very little drawing and painting the past few years. So I'm working on my studio space and getting ready for a burst of creativeness. I've also renewed my commitment myself to post on my blog and keep up with Project life. I'm developing a schedule for myself so that my creativity isn't lost in all of the everyday stuff of my very full life. :)

2. Brandy

2014-04-02 15:55:28 -0400

I have a Vitamix and love it. Smoothies in the morning and Healthy Vitamix soup for lunch is my favorite week day meals. I have a Thai Pumpkin(or butter squash) which is so awesome!

3. Beatrice

2014-04-02 16:07:14 -0400

what a lovely furniture Ali! i'd love to know where it is from!

all the best,

a reader in Sweden

4. Jackie Bremer

2014-04-02 17:37:30 -0400

Yea - I fell for a Vitamix at Costco a little over a year ago - love it but it comes and goes from my counter. I also LOVE Wendie's Frosties. I will have to give this a try!

5. Lulu

2014-04-02 17:50:54 -0400

Eating healthy and making healthy choices! But I wouldn't eat hummus much...high in fiber...yes......higher in fat.....YOU BET....not the good fat either...hope you know that :)

6. Angela Daly

2014-04-02 20:47:47 -0400

Thanks Ali for sharing all this information with us, love the Youtube videos and the Frosty Light recipe, I enjoy reading your blog everyday!

7. Suz

2014-04-02 21:26:40 -0400

We have had a Vitamix for 5 or so years now and use nearly everyday. We love making sorbets and protein smoothies with it and soups too. Totally worth the money!
    Love that Jimmy Fallon video with Idina Menzel and any of the ones with Justin Timberlake and Jimmy, but especially the #hashtag one.

Love Jimmy Johns also- #12 is my go to - but I sure wish they'd bring back the alfalfa sprouts to it -or add cucumbers to put the crunch back in it!

What I am loving right now: Blooming flowers and trees (minus the allergens), longer daylight, low 70 degree weather, and planning for an upcoming trip to Europe with my mom and my sister in May. :) Btw- What were/are your go to spring/summer shoes for walking around Paris etc? Saltwater sandals? TIA.

Take care you.

8. Becky M

2014-04-02 21:52:47 -0400

Have you tried Stacy's baked pita chips......talk about addictive! Delicious with Hummus!

9. Lisa W.

2014-04-02 22:19:28 -0400

OK...first off, what am I into right now THIS blog:) Just makes me happy AND I need that allot right now.

AGREED on the "eating everything in moderation" So many people today are all jacked up about fat, what's good, what's bad. GEESH what I thought was healthy isn't healthy, what IS healthy you get the picture. My goodness don't engorge, eat in moderation and BE HAPPY:) That's what I'm saying anyway!!!!!!!

10. Jess

2014-04-02 23:49:09 -0400

Loving right now:
    1. Your blog. I stalk for the PL updates. :)
    2. Walking. Its a nice end to the day, even if it is feral hot here at the moment.
    3. Rice paper rolls. NOM!
    4. Weekends.
    5. Pizza. Doesn't always mesh well with the whole diet thing. :)
    6. Chiobani Yoghurt in a squeeze packet. NO SPOON needed!
    7. Fresh fruit and salads.

Looks like you ladies have a great time together. :) Thank you for sharing. :)

11. Joanna

2014-04-03 00:03:44 -0400

Thank you so very much for the link to kid president. What an incredibly *awesome* breath of fresh air. My girls and I watched nearly an hours worth of his videos. We laughed along with him and had some great discussions as well. I can always count on you for quality recommendations.

12. Catherine @ Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth

2014-04-03 01:15:05 -0400

Thanks so much for sharing my smoothie! xo

13. Jo-Anne

2014-04-03 02:51:49 -0400

Currently i'm into PROJECT LIFE (just get so excited everytime i work on my album) and secondly, i have decided to give myself a makeover from the inside and am researching a RAW VEGAN lifestyle (raw as much as i can:-)) Ali, that VITAMIX is one of the BEST INVESTMENTS you will ever make for your health! I have had mine for over a year now and man it just keeps smoothing....You will definately THRIVE:-)

14. Trish

2014-04-03 15:19:26 -0400

My mother used to babysit my son when he was little and his favourite lunch was a "fancy plate". She would put cheese, carrots and dip, crackers, cucumber and some meat slices on a nice plate. He loved it and we still do it sometimes and think of her. Enjoy!

15. Tiffany

2014-04-03 15:27:15 -0400

Hi Ali

I would love to hear your thoughts on your routine once Simon and Anna arrive home. My son is 6 (full time kindergarten) and my daughter will be five on Sunday (home with me most of the time but part time preschool and other activities). Much like Anna, she is bright, gregarious and EXTREMELY strong willed. I am finding the transition from school to home somewhat challenging and was just wondering what that time of the day looked like in your house.

Love the blog!

16. alexandra

2014-04-03 16:19:39 -0400

three cheers for getting a vitamix!!
    you are gonna love it... it's a game changer for your health.
    have fun with it.
    xo

17. Leanne in CA

2014-04-03 16:28:21 -0400

Have you seen Jimmy Fallon with Carly Rae Jepsen and the Roots doing Call Me Maybe with the classroom instruments? We love that one! Thanks for sharing as always.

18. Natalie (QSOgirl)

2014-04-03 21:39:58 -0400

Ohhhhhhh Jimmy Johns!! LOVE YOUR SANDWICHES SO MUCH. Veggie is my favorite, too-- with extra extra cucumbers. That avocado spread is the stuff of my dreams, haha. I think it was at Jimmy Johns that I discovered my love for salt-and-vinegar, chips, too!

Now, I must go find myself a snack. I've made myself hungry ;-)

19. Michele B

2014-04-04 11:28:14 -0400

So cool - I am listening to Twin Forks as I read your post! Glad to find another that enjoys them - they opened for Phillip Phillips a few weeks ago in Winnipeg, and I fell in love! We are also big pretzel chips and hummus eaters in our house.

20. Robin

2014-04-04 21:18:38 -0400

I got my Vitamix at Costco a couple days ago - we made the broccoli cheese soup tonight and it was delicious!

21. Danielle

2014-04-05 14:37:05 -0400

Hi Ali, I was just wondering where your office chair is from? I am in the market for one and do a lot of design work at my computer. Thanks :)

22. Carolin

2014-04-06 05:23:02 -0400

Loved this post. Thank you for sharing! :-)

23. Monique

2014-04-07 23:32:24 -0400

Ali, we bought a vitamix recently and although expensive (I live in Australia) it has so been worth it. We use it nearly everyday for green smoothies and milkshakes and looking forward to trying it for soups as it gets colder here! Mon

24. marlee

2014-04-08 17:46:42 -0400

Joseph Gordon Levitt KILLED it in the Jimmy Fallon lip sync battle! Amazing "Tiny Dancer," then he brought it to a close with "Super Bass." I often re-watch this video when I need a quick smile!

25. Nikki M

2014-04-09 08:33:48 -0400

You two are so fun! What a creative team. Thanks for sharing these glimpses. Hummus and pretzels are a go-to for me as well. :)