If This Table Could Talk

If This Table Could Talk | Storytelling Ideas From aliedwards.com

Today I want to celebrate this spot: our dining table.

This round black table hasn't been around forever. In fact it was purchased in January 2012, a few months after Chris had moved out. The previous long rectangle table we owned together fit better in his house and I was open to getting a new one.

A fresh start for new stories.

Along the way I purchased some chairs from Ikea and the grey couch from Overstock.com (originally purchased for another room until I wondered if it would fit in this spot) which is definitely the favorite feature of the kids and the cat.

I love this space.

It gets used every day for meals, for conversation, for homework, for coloring, for reading. I love the windows that wrap around and the different light that comes in over the course of the day. I love opening the windows when it's pouring rain just to hear the sound as it comes down through the trees and onto the patio or on those early days of spring and summer to bring in fresh air.

This table has seen and heard many things. Harsh words and kind words. Tears and laughter. Giggles and jokes between siblings. It's been piled on and spilled on more times than I can count in it's life with us. It's been a resting place for adults and kids alike.

I take at least a couple photos there every month because it's such an anchor in our lives.

Sometimes a kid or two is sitting there doing whatever it is they are into at the moment. Sometimes there's simply evidence of our existence: books, computers, the newspaper, or a set table waiting for companionship. Sometimes I'll place my camera on the kitchen counter and use the timer to make sure I'm captured in the mix.

The things we own are pieces of our stories.

If this table could talk it would tell stories of breakfasts, lunches, snacks, dinners, drinks consumed, old and new friends, lives shared, computers, newspapers, coffee, hot cocoa with marshmallows, coloring books, homework, Santa letters, cut flowers, plans made, books read aloud, laughter, tears, laughter that turns to tears, birthdays, wishes, legos built, taxes, best part of the day/worst part of the day sharing, strategies for getting Simon to try more foods, secrets whispered, frustrations expressed, forgiveness granted, Anna jumping up and down on the couch and me telling her to sit on her bottom (over and over again), holidays celebrated, songs sung, manners taught and re-taught, one too many bean & cheese tostadas to ever count and so much more.

If This Table Could Talk | Storytelling Ideas From aliedwards.com

If This Table Could Talk | Storytelling Ideas From aliedwards.com  If This Table Could Talk | Storytelling Ideas From aliedwards.com

If This Table Could Talk | Storytelling Ideas From aliedwards.com

Is there a story you can tell about a piece of furniture or an area in your house? What stories would that piece/space tell if it could talk?

1. Diane

2014-07-01 16:29:52 -0700

What a fabulous post on your blog - and kuddos to Cathy Zielske for sharing it in her Facebook - it popped up and waited for me to come home from work, run an errand for a gift I need to take tonight to Pokeno after dinner with hubby! Life - it's always interesting and reading about the everyday of others - is fascinating. I'm so happy you are a blogger of the memories created and treasured.

2. Nicolle - Libby Lane Press

2014-07-01 18:10:47 -0700

I love the part about best part of the day/worst part of the day - that's a daily table talk ritual in our house too

3. Lisa W.

2014-07-01 18:13:09 -0700

Ahhhhhhh Ali...I LOVE this post. Its like I'm talking with a dear friend! I love how you SEE things like some of do. Sometimes when my kids are all around and you just are "looking" at observing when they simply think were have a conversation. Watching them eat, read. Love it!!! Mine would be "if this bar could talk" One side is counter the other has bar stools where we do most of our eating. I JUST got done having a 30 min. or so conversation with my daughter. She works long hours at a vet clinic and is studying to be a vet. She had a long lONG day. Lots of sick puppies:( And while listening I just thought what a beautiful caring, thoughtful young lady, I'm a luck lady! So to read this post just made my heart sing! I LOVED exspecially the picture of Anna and your parents! Some bittersweet memories. Thank you for the idea, I will be setting my timer and getting some of these prescious moments!

4. Janet K

2014-07-01 21:15:07 -0700

Love this idea!! Thank you for sharing a great prompt.

5. Jan Kelly

2014-07-01 21:34:51 -0700

Your children are super blessed to have you as their mom!! I wish you had been my mom when I was little...

6. Cindy B

2014-07-01 21:45:58 -0700

Ali, while I LOVE this post I noticed the books and I also have IT STARTS WITH FOOD and THE $100 Startup.. great minds think alike.. LOL!

7. Cindy Gay

2014-07-02 02:50:35 -0700

Great post; awesome journaling.

8. Darlene

2014-07-02 05:14:43 -0700

Ali, rarely has a post spoken to me as this one did! I immediately took a photo of a usually messy spot on my countertop in the kitchen. If one knew the stories behind each of the non related items there, they would learn a lot about me and the things happening in my life right now. I can hardly wait to scrapbook this very ordinary photo! I cannot thank you enough, it has totally changed the way I look at everyday things!
    Sending blessings your way for how freely you share your talents & gifts with kindred hearts.

9. Laura

2014-07-02 06:10:37 -0700

I love is idea. I am fortunate to have several pieces of furniture that belonged to great grandparents, including my dining room table, which I recently refinished. I have a photo of my great grandparents with a cake celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary at this table. I have silver and china from 2 other great grandmothers, which makes me smile every time they are used on the table. How lucky am I? I will be taking many photos of future family gatherings for my children to enjoy and remember.

10. Bonnie Lamothe

2014-07-02 06:16:31 -0700

beautiful Ali... thank you for sharing your life with us... you are so real and so brave and so inspirational

11. Desiree

2014-07-02 19:20:50 -0700

An incredible space and I absolutely love all the pictures you have taken to document your lives there. Stunning, incredible, wonderful, awesome, inspiring, and important to your story. I have no more words! :)

* edited 08/08/14 02:57PM
  12. Project Life® 2014 | Week Seventeen & The Long Haul Memory Keeping Attitude | Ali Edwards

2014-07-03 03:02:20 -0700

[…] the long haul. This became super apparent to me the other day when I was looking for photos for the If This Table Could Talk post. Even when I had a whole lot less photos in one month or another, there was still something there. […]

13. irene

2014-07-03 03:06:26 -0700

Super!!!! Not only the story but all the pictures you've taken. Just love it. Thanks for sharing. Bye Irene

14. Viki

2014-07-03 17:08:06 -0700

I so love this post...thank you for this wonderful reminder

15. J3SS1C4

2014-07-04 05:17:41 -0700

What a fun post! This is such a fun way to tell a story about something so everyday but so important in day-to-day life! I might have to think about this one as a journalling prompt for my PL :)

16. amanda sweatman

2014-07-04 06:35:18 -0700

You do realise that the table belongs to the cat and allows the humans to use it...lol...love that photo!

17. hanging bedside table

2014-07-05 02:29:15 -0700

What i do not realize is in reality how you are not actually a lot more well-favored than you may be now.
    You are very intelligent. You already know thus significantly with regards
    to this matter, produced me in my view imagine it from a lot of numerous angles.
    Its like women and men aren't fascinated until it is something
    to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always deal
    with it up!

18. Rachel W

2014-07-05 10:47:36 -0700

Really love this post, Ali! Really makes me stop and think about our home and our family and what goes on in the walls of our house.

19. Kristen

2014-07-06 18:25:55 -0700

I have been hoping you might share where you purchased the table and chairs as I am looking for something just like that! Such a beautiful space and story. I love the storage pieces you have on that one wall beside the table. I think it is such a great use of space as we are always having papers pile up on our table and always looking to grab a pen etc.. Can you share where you purchased them? Thanks! kristen

20. jenn shurkus

2014-07-08 09:53:43 -0700

wow. love this post ali. love the reminder that stories really do come from everyWHERE and everyTHING. even your photos are really powerful and tell many storeis

21. Inspiration | July 11 » Life In Limbo

2014-07-11 05:02:20 -0700

[…] especially since my family is getting ready to move out of my childhood home. I resonated with this post about a family’s dining room table and all the roles its played over the years. It made me think of our big wooden table and all the […]

22. Alicia

2014-07-12 14:36:18 -0700

Love this idea of journaling centered around and item or space!

23. A Dusty Frame » Blog Archive » From Outside The Frame

2014-08-01 09:32:04 -0700

[…] If this table could talk~ good thoughts about family. […]

24. Happy Spaces v.13 | Happy Pantry

2014-08-01 11:04:05 -0700

[…] ‘If this table could talk‘ – I loved this series of photographs based around a typical dining table. It took me […]

25. Annette

2014-08-01 21:14:30 -0700

What a gorgeous post!
    I love your choices - the couch, the table and the chairs work so well together. What a beautiful spot in your home.
    New fan, right here!