Super awesome month of books for me. I would totally recommend all the books I read this month - they were each so good.
WHAT I READ IN FEBRUARY 2018
- Bel Canto (finished this one right at the end of January) // I really, really enjoyed this book. I love her writing style and I loved the way the story flowed all the way until the end. It felt super abrupt - but I guess that's how life goes sometimes too. I loved the themes of adaptation, of love, of change, of escape (literally from the life you were living one moment before), and the push and pull between relationships. Oh and it totally made me want to go to an opera.
- The Great Alone (BOTM) // I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish this one last night because I just couldn't stop reading. I loved this book. I loved that Alaska + the climate was basically a character. The subject matter is challenging for sure - violence, loneliness, family issues, etc. - but the story is rich and complicated and well-told. Love these kinds of epic stories. So, so good.
- The Broken Girls (BOTM) // This book legitimately freaked me out multiple times. The kids around here all know I was reading a scary book because I kept saying “this book is scary” - ha. Loved the twists and turns - I zoomed through the last half super quick. If you are looking for a haunting style of story this one’s for you. I actually almost stopped reading it at one point but I am so glad I finished.
- An American Marriage // I read this one without knowing anything about it because it was recommended highly by a friend (and then I saw it popping up everywhere). This is an emotional, real, raw and very well written story that is different from what I've been reading lately. I love being surprised. Beautiful, compelling writing that really gets to the heart of complicated human relationships. A line I loved : "But mostly my life is good, only it's a different type of good from what I figured on." This has been the lesson of my life as well.
This month I'm also trying something new with a video overview of what I read last month and what I am planning to read next month. In the future I hope to record myself right after I finish each book so I can capture my immediate reactions but this month I'm just talking about them all at once.
You can also view this video on my YouTube channel here.
BOOK OF THE MONTH SELECTIONS FOR MARCH
It's also time to select new books from Book Of The Month Club.
As part of their Ambassador Program I get to order from their monthly selections a bit early in order to share with you and celebrate their new releases each month.
This month I picked two books:
In addition to those two I'm also half-way through Fascinate: How To Make Your Brand Impossible To Resist as my non-fiction book (this was recommended by Erin at Floret Flowers).
FULL LIST OF WHAT I'VE READ IN 2018
- The Heart's Invisible Furies (BOTM) // I super, super loved this book. Just go read it. Now.
- The Woman In The Window (BOTM) // Perfect suspense book. Great beach read.
- Everyone Brave Is Forgiven // It’s been quite awhile since I underlined passages in a non-fiction book but I did a few times in this one because the language and imagery used was just so beautiful. It’s a story that will stick with me.
- The Year Of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store // Super quick read on a topic I’m interested in - how less can mean more. This book is more memoir than how-to and I was interested in her story and all the ways in which she cake to having and wanting less. Glad I read it. It’s so much more than just a story of not shopping for a year.
- Turtles All The Way Down (BOTM) // This one was a like but not love for me. I did really like some of the writing, especially towards the end, that related to the forward movement of life with mental illness. I think these kinds of stories are important and the pieces where he was writing about her self-talk/voices really resonated with me personally.