One Little Word® 2019
The classroom is open now and you are invited to come in, download a "choosing your word" handout, share your word or receive support from classmates as you narrow it down.
In 2006 I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January – a word that I can focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, story, light, up, open, thrive, give, and whole. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They’ve been imbedded into who I am, and into who I’m becoming. They’ve been what I’ve needed (and didn’t know I needed). They’ve helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, and to grow.
What do you do with this one little word? You live with it. You invite it into your life. You let it speak to you. You might even follow where it leads. There are so many possibilities.
In 2011 I offered my first year-long One Little Word® workshop in an attempt to help me stay in touch with my word and make it more visible in my daily life. It worked. I've been more connected to my words these past few years because of the specific actions and reflections I've put together for the workshop.
As I've reviewed my past albums it's so cool to see, literally see via my words and photos, my own personal growth in those pages. Like many people, I've experienced challenges in my life and the pages in my One Little Word® albums document a lot of that struggles and successes as I've worked my way through ( and continue to work my way through) the changes in my life.
This workshop is not complicated and it’s not time-consuming. Once per month you will be invited to check back into the classroom for a new creative prompt to help you make your word more visible in your life. Creative prompts generally fall into the categories of writing, photography or collage. See examples of some of the past prompts in the image slider below. It’s simply a way we can come together to share our experience with our words throughout the course of the year.
You can check out my archive of One Little Word® posts here.
What you'll learn
- Creative techniques for making your word visible in your life through the mediums of writing, photography and collage
- Past students have reported learning about celebrating progress rather than perfection, about the power of focusing on a single word and the impact that can have in your life, about how many little moments make up the patterns of our lives, about thinking of your future self as you make decisions today, about how your own journey is important, about how to step back into the story of your own life as an active participant, about learning what you most need from yourself, and about the power of coming back again and again to your original intentions as a means of reflection and forward movement
What you'll get
- Monthly creative prompts in the form of full-color PDF handouts
- Monthly presentation or process video featuring the thought behind the prompt and a how-to
- Monthly printables/digital products when applicable to the prompt + One Little Word® Main Kit Digital Package
- Gallery and message board for sharing and support
- Optional Closed Facebook Group for additional community
What you'll need
- A willingness to make your word visible in your life.
- A 6x8 album (or new this year is a 3x8 option) for holding your stories and responses to the prompts.
- An optional One Little Word® Main Kit of products is available as are additional supplies you might use to document your journey with your word this year.
- A way to print photos and/or the printables.